Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve read a big chunk of this thread and watched way too many hours of YouTube about this game and I have to ask this,

Does the game actually deserve the mixed rating it’s getting on steam? I realize the game does have its issues but overall it seems (to me at least) a pretty solid game.

I’m still on the fence about buying it but it’s definitely on my short list.

it is megajank that barely works

it rules do not get me wrong but the people who don't like it are also not wrong

unless they're whining about not getting to micro armies, those people can go gently caress themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve read a big chunk of this thread and watched way too many hours of YouTube about this game and I have to ask this,

Does the game actually deserve the mixed rating it’s getting on steam? I realize the game does have its issues but overall it seems (to me at least) a pretty solid game.

its got a lot of rough elements that are on notice for getting patched, but it is Political Factorio and thus crack for a specific kind of person (me). some of the low ratings are due to that, but theres a fair amount of whining in the reviews that its not just Victoria 2 by people who forgot how comically rough that game was. Id say its been worth playing at launch, but im trying not to play again until it gets a major patch that they've been talking about.

e: the most controversial thing is the new army system which can be really loving jank but I also generally prefer the approach then what ive experienced in ck2/eu4

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

It's not fully baked. If you really really want it, it's worth getting. But if you have any doubt I'd wait at least.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok fair enough thanks! I’ll let it simmer for a bit and just keep reading about it.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

MarcusSA posted:

Does the game actually deserve the mixed rating it’s getting on steam?

I had a lot of fun in 1.5 playthroughs of Vicky 3 and think I've gotten my money's worth. I think it hits the design space it is aiming for. It is also full of bugs that you will absolutely run into, and I'm holding off on playing more for a month or two.

It's a good and fun game if you want to play 19th century national spreadsheet with mild map painting, and don't mind that some of the other nations in the spreadsheet will sort of break and fall over while you are massaging your country's numbers to make them bigger. I am expecting the level of breaking to go down, but right now it's a constant companion.

I think a lot of the naysayers just wanted a different game than the one Paradox made and constantly said they were making, but there are also valid reasons to be disappointed.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

it's an unfinished, extremely buggy, broken beta for what will eventually be a very good game

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I would say it’s a good launch for a paradox release and the bones are fabulous, but it will need a few patches and dlcs to really shine.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MarcusSA posted:

no. it has some stuff that needs fixing but probably my favorite paradox release after eu4 now. i guess more specifically mixed would be fair except when u click on the reviews making it mixed its just pure insanity instead of the actual reasons why it should be mixed lol

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
"i am able to build anything instead of only having clipper factories in my country when not in command economy. this is communism. paradox fix"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vicky 3 completely fails to be either an accurate simulation or even a game with the window dressing of the mass industrialization of the victorian era. Its immensely disappointing

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Stux posted:

no. it has some stuff that needs fixing but probably my favorite paradox release after eu4 now. i guess more specifically mixed would be fair except when u click on the reviews making it mixed its just pure insanity instead of the actual reasons why it should be mixed lol

Demon_Corsair posted:

I would say it’s a good launch for a paradox release and the bones are fabulous, but it will need a few patches and dlcs to really shine.
this basically.

I'm only about 20 hours in and I can see where the seams are starting to tear and some of the event types are really repetitive, like exposing the priest for his crimes of....something or another..but I can see this becoming something great. I feel like its bad to buy something based on what it can be, but that seems to come with the territory with paradox titles.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Nope. Definitely not. It's got issues for sure, but specifically the Steam rating is being driven by some pretty weird and mostly unjustified nitpicks. The number of people who just can't handle a lack of "tactical" military control in a factory building game is astounding.

But yeah, if you don't feel an urgent need to get it right away, well, it'll be an even better game in a few months for sure.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

MarcusSA posted:

Not at all, it's a victim of the dumbass culture war mentality where fans take decisions they disagree with as personal affronts that take away their ability to feel human. It has problems but if you like the idea of Vicky 3 and aren't attached to V2 combat it's worth getting, though ofc it's a Paradox game so waiting for one more patch can never hurt

Magissima fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 5, 2022

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The slowdown in my USA game is unbearable now. Gonna have to mostly set this aside for now.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

If your expectations are influenced by past Paradox launches, this game seems reasonably playable and has tons of potential. If you're coming in without that caveat, it's janky as all hell and has several issues which make the late game borderline unplayable at the moment.

I'm having a blast personally.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

It also seems like it's running into people who expect it to be their dream Victoria 2 while playing quite differently. I mostly think it's a better game than Victoria 2 already since Victoria 2 honestly felt like it was a lot of neat stuff with only the barest control, but it does have real jank that needs to be worked through.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah the slowdown is gonna have to be sorted out before i do anything but fiddle around with pre-1870 stuff. the bug where a general gets slapped off a front and decides to run home instead of to an adjacent front is also incredibly awful since it can be war-deciding if that particular front is really important and like...generals don't actually exist with a position in the world so reassigning them to stop going home and get onto a front takes as long as sending them there from their headquarters would take.

i've actually been really enjoying the war system for its more subtle complexities and the AI's general ability to handle it better than classic paradox combat, but the colonial border gore in africa creates awful tangles of fronts that both highlight the bugs and seem to act as catnip for great powers since i've routinely been fighting 75% of the french army along various african fronts while the home front is lower-intensity; i had one war where the french army entirely abandoned, uh, france to go try to seize a big swathe of africa instead, trusting morocco to hold the line in the alps. the AI is also just ridiculously punchy since 1.04, as i've said before this italy game has basically been "do literally anything aggressive internationally, fight france" which seems like it might be, uh, very oppressive if i wasn't playing as italy.

if it weren't for the african border gore fronts i'd have had a lot of fun watching france ram its head against an immovable wall in savoy every other year but they always added a war goal to open up the market of one of my african puppets, which meant i had to actually engage with the border gore fronts to avoid losing the war. i do think that too aggressive is more fun than the complete passivity of launch, but somewhere in the middle seems like it would be better

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like there should probably be a limit to how much confidence gold reserves give the AI because this is a bit ridiculous:

"Yeah we only have 2 battalions to your 300 and are vastly technologically inferior but we have a lot of cash and that will definitely help in a game where you can't hire mercenaries"

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like there should probably be a limit to how much confidence gold reserves give the AI because this is a bit ridiculous:

"Yeah we only have 2 battalions to your 300 and are vastly technologically inferior but we have a lot of cash and that will definitely help in a game where you can't hire mercenaries"

Huh, usually the logic I've seen for minors facing a GP alone have been pretty on point, maybe they all just had bad economies.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Eiba posted:

Nope. Definitely not. It's got issues for sure, but specifically the Steam rating is being driven by some pretty weird and mostly unjustified nitpicks. The number of people who just can't handle a lack of "tactical" military control in a factory building game is astounding.

To be fair, fighting in certain areas of the world is infuriating, because half your army will decide to teleport home when a front advances, leaving a brand new front that just opened up completely empty while the enemy uses it to take back the territory you just took unopposed. That doesn't happen in all that many places, but some of the army stuff really, really needs to be sorted out. The UI for ordering generals needs to be improved as well; even just adding a loving hotkey for advance, defend, or wait would be amazing.

But, when it works, it works well. I like watching my armies fight through an area, I like fighting on multiple fronts (where in previous titles I would be dreading the prospect). A little spit and polish on the front splintering mechanic, making some longer fronts into multiple smaller fronts (or allowing multiple battles on large fronts - Russia/China gets hilarious with only one front if you expand China westward through the Ottoman Empire), some UI/UX improvements on ordering troops around, and improved management of generals (reorder them, split them into groups, change out support weapons on a per-general basis, a much more intuitive naval system similar to HOI4, etc.), and warfare in the game will be amazing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lawman 0 posted:

The slowdown in my USA game is unbearable now. Gonna have to mostly set this aside for now.

I do want to know if people with more powerful CPUs are able to do endgame faster lol, I know stux says it's a pipe dream but how can more FLOPS not be better

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

I've mostly done observe games but I haven't seen much slowdown even with the AI economy mod on my 3900x. I wonder if it's mostly people who are beelining multiculturalism and gaining shitloads of 10 person pops who are getting slowdown. But this is also the only paradox game that I've seen utilize every core on the processor.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i def had the pop issue but i would rank the slowdown as "not as bad as late game hoi4 world wars"

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I think on the Mexico stream a couple days ago they were saying they have a stopgap solution for the pop splitting that should be in soon, and that they're figuring out a fix for the underlying issue (something to do with dependents assimilating/converting at different rates than working pops?)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah from looking at steam forums there was a lot of:

* Why isn't this Hearts of Copper?
* Why don't African nations get arbitrary penalties on top of starting ridiculously far behind?? SJW game!!
* The notion that the war between the states was about slavery is ridiculous

Which is not to say there aren't valid criticisms, but yikes

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Partly I think it's that war isn't that expensive. You'll run out of manpower or lose strategically before you run out of money.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'll be very sad if they fix the "instant travel when assigning a general to a front twice in a row" bug before they solve free issue of generals heading home on minor front changes. Exploiting that bug has been my saving grace a few times when half my military decided to gently caress off home at 50+ days travel time.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

If your expectations are influenced by past Paradox launches, this game seems reasonably playable and has tons of potential. If you're coming in without that caveat, it's janky as all hell and has several issues which make the late game borderline unplayable at the moment.

I'm having a blast personally.

IMO it's quite a bit worse off than CK3 was at launch. I apparently played over 100 hours of CK3 in the first 6 weeks after release (oof) and haven't touched it since. I've got 20 so far in V3 and don't really feel like finishing the one game I got to 1917 in or starting a new one until more of the glaring bugs and balance issues get fixed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
its better. its mechanically interesting instead of boring

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
there are major issues, but none of them are with the fundamental design which is sound, and the basic economic system is incredibly strong (goods, supply, demand, effect on prices, and buildings).

Mixed now makes sense. I am hopeful this will not be like other Paradox games where these issues become core aspects of the design, lol.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

(edit: AI in 1842)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MarcusSA posted:

Yes and no, depends on the content of the review. Some people are just enraged this isn't Victoria 2.5, warts and all. A lot of people that hated the idea of losing military unit micro management are feeling very validated that the new system has an absolute poo poo interface and see it as evidence the game needs HOI4 level of military management. But some people actually have a lot of valid complaints.

I haven't bothered to review it yet because it just doesn't feel done. Which I guess would be a thumb down at the moment. I actually went for drinks with some coworkers tonight and a couple people asked me about V3 and I told them to hold off getting it for a few months until the worst bugs and AI issues are hopefully solved. I currently have no desire to play anymore, but I don't regret buying it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

It has good foundations and some of the rooms are great but most of them are either filled with junk or just straight up not there, and even the ones that are finished have uneven floorboards that will trip you up occasionally.

Like, I'd go with a 70% good or so, maybe 75%? Not sure what percentages count as mixed on Steam.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

eXXon posted:

IMO it's quite a bit worse off than CK3 was at launch. I apparently played over 100 hours of CK3 in the first 6 weeks after release (oof) and haven't touched it since. I've got 20 so far in V3 and don't really feel like finishing the one game I got to 1917 in or starting a new one until more of the glaring bugs and balance issues get fixed.

On the other hand...

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

buglord posted:

How in the world do I win the opium wars as Qing? I have a huge numbers advantage but I lose the front after they make a naval invasion every single time.

In my game I teched up to mobile artillery and line infantry before taking the decision and the Brits ended up not even declaring war.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Ok fair enough thanks! I’ll let it simmer for a bit and just keep reading about it.

lol man if you're reading this thread and watching videos about vicky3 for fun, go ahead and get the game you're gonna like it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Eiba posted:

Just because the reason people write is dumb doesn't mean the overall score isn't right. Like half the posts in this thread are like "this is how to deal with essentially game breaking bugs that affects literally every play-through". People having fun despite that, because what does work works very well, is what should drag the score up from negative to mixed.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
I just need the late game slowdown fixed - I can deal with the rest of the jank but if you get multiculturalism early, especially with a lot of colonies, the slowdown really starts to kick in around the 1890s. I’ve played around 80 hours now and a chunk of that time is basically running the clock out to get the goal achievements that all require you to hit the end date. By the 1920s a week at top speed would take an agonising amount of time, and would generally slow every interface click as well.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The one thing I really appreciate over EU4 is not having to do all the stupid unit micro. Especially in the lategame playing whackamole with multiple revolts while standing my infantry next to my siege artillery so they don't have attrition thus having to move them onto my artillery when the enemy go to opportunistically attack it, then cancelling when they cancel only to do the same shortly after again and again forever. I don't know if they ever fixed it but that's what eventually made me quit EU4.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hobo posted:

I just need the late game slowdown fixed - I can deal with the rest of the jank but if you get multiculturalism early, especially with a lot of colonies, the slowdown really starts to kick in around the 1890s. I’ve played around 80 hours now and a chunk of that time is basically running the clock out to get the goal achievements that all require you to hit the end date. By the 1920s a week at top speed would take an agonising amount of time, and would generally slow every interface click as well.

For me it's the crashes during war that I need to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
"popular playwright" is such a powerful event if you get it early as a small country. The third option is a permanent +20 to prestige. I jumped from rank 55 to 28.