Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mans posted:

playing as communist Russia and having to deal with creating every single factory myself was hell. I literally let the social democrats coup me just so I could focus on other things. I hope this changes in Vic 3

... what other things? Diplomacy was pretty dull, colonialism was difficult given Russia's awful starting literacy, leaving warfare which could work but my experience was getting stomped by Germany in pointless conflicts over tiny patches of land (not historically inaccurate).

Also from what I recall even state capitalism forced you to spend almost as much time and effort closing/fixing idiotic capitalist-built factories, though I suppose you could tax them into oblivion so they could never afford to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I never managed to figure out what I was supposed to meaningfully interact with in V2.

The point of Vicky 2 is to acquire enough machine parts to transform your nation into an industrial powerhouse that generates unimaginable wealth by selling electrical goods and internal combustion engine-powered vehicles before chronic rubber shortages cripple the global economy.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Friend Commuter posted:

...you can't charge tariffs on goods from spherelings.

Wow, I did not know that. That doesn't seem to make much sense for gameplay or even historically.

I hope the RGO system is reworked significantly. Having just one per province never made sense, nor did scaling output more or less linearly by the number of workers. Techs instantly boosting production by 100% or more never made sense either. It would be neat to have capitalists invest in RGO upgrades and have allotments of arable land/forests/resource deposits so that land use can change slowly too.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 31, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jazerus posted:

vast industrial complexes churning out discrete units of anime

You haven't read about the Great Mangaka Strike of 1903 that ultimately precipitated the Russo-Japanese war?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Party In My Diapee posted:

But different kinds of radicals shouldn't work together, right?

Free radicals aren't dangerous because they work well together, but because they can influence those around them and cause a kind of chain reaction of radicalization.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Weird, I didn't see any shots of every German province covered in max level forts.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This cultural map looks good, though I hope that this represents the majority culture for pops in each province rather than the only culture.

Is there a 10-page thread on the precise extent of the Hungarian part of Transylvania or on the existence of Australian culture yet?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The most fun game of Victoria I had (possibly in Revolutions, not 2?) was with Bavaria, slowly gobbling up German minors with the help of Austria, forming the South German Federation, smashing Prussia, and then backstabbing Austria to unite all Germans (and then some). But USCA should be a good start again.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So does the game ship with a ship designer or not? I want to ship Franz Joseph I with Duchess Sophie Charlotte Augustine in Bavaria.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Tried out playing USCA for 30 minutes and Nicaragua seceded within three months. O..,kay? Maybe I'll wait for someone to figure out how to reduce turmoil before playing them again.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm am I missing something?

Yes, why aren't you telling us more about the New Africa right there??

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How do I reassign a general to a different HQ? I don't see anything except recruiting a new one, which I don't need.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It’s not possible, I spent a long time looking into it earlier this week. The HQ you recruit the general to is the HQ they will spend their life in during peacetime when they’re not in charge of fronts.

Not sure how to move battalions around to a different HQ either. That might be locked into something automated too.

Ugh, that's a pretty bad oversight. Hopefully it gets patched soon.

Battalions I sort of understand - those are just 1-2 per barracks, right?

Baronjutter posted:

I feel like I'm getting the "FRAMED!" event killing me over and over. Every few months I get an event where another colonial power claims they have a claim on one of my colonies. I can either say i got there first and gain a huge 15 infamy, or give the colony to them. It's hosed and I'm generating so much infamy from it.

Yeah I colonized basically the area of DRC as Spain and got that event and the expedition one at least once per year. It was particularly painful as I had quinine but didn't realize I needed the malaria mitigation tech to avoid the 95% colonation speed penalty.

The colonization mechanics are slightly improved compared to ye olde blank slate but the decentralized nations get crushed so easily and there's little interaction or anything to remind you that you're actually doing a Bad Thing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s a proper economic model, it owns. Everything works as you would expect: new supply comes into the market, prices drop, supply suddenly constrained, prices rise again. Your little market is going fine but then suddenly bang! France wants to buy all your coal and nobody back home can afford it any more. So many ways for that to break, astonishing that it works.

The economic model seems good but the player feedback is not great and in my game the AI seems incompetent at developing a good 2/3 of the resources, so there are persistent shortages of nearly everything except some raw rural resources. I've been making GBS threads out fabric mills and have been the world's top clothing producer for decades but the deficit just keeps growing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So they print errors with wrong variable names in the debug log but don't actually have a test to validate them in the build? Okay then...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Coupling goods together in a single building was a real bad move for stuff that often has a higher demand than it's "primary" good. Stuff like wine and hardwood I have constantly at over +50% price while softwood and wheat will be at -20% and wasted as I desperately try to over-produce to get the secondary goods. Stuff like hardwood or wine should be their own individual building or there should be production modes that more radically shift your outputs towards those secondary goods. What would also cut down greatly on production method micro is simply letting buildings like that automatically adjust their production based on prices. So if wine is drastically more expensive than wheat, buildings set to "auto" would automatically ramp up wine production.

Yeah there should be automated production method selection for everything. Maybe a tiny percentage of people care to micro-optimize but it's not fun or engaging. Being able to switch instantly at no cost also makes very little sense.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Part of the problem must be people getting richer and have more money to constantly buy new clothes. Congratulations, you invented fast fashion a century earlier.

I get the feeling they didn't test the latter half of the game much, if at all. If you don't own any oil all of the tech tree that relies on oil is basically useless. Even V2 wasn't so bad.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The only vaguely interesting thing that happened in my first game up to 1900 is that New Brunswick became independent for some reason, long before Canada unified.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jazerus posted:

my favorite was when a large migration of australians moved to london

this was the same game that had tripartite australia tho so maybe it made sense

I'm the Uluru that does not contain Uluru.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jamsque posted:

In my humble IMHO the biggest thing the game needs (besides the obvious fixes like AI not developing their resources or generals constantly going in to battle against overwhelming odds with the same 3 depleted units instead of fielding the many fresh troops that are available at the front) is STOCKPILES. Maybe not for every single resource, I'm not sure if I want to be managing my nation's tactical reserve of fine art, but for things like grain and oil and above all GUNS the current system just doesn't work well. If your army relies heavily on conscripts, as most armies do for most of the game, you are forced to massively overbuild weapons and munitions factories, only for them to lay idle 90% of the time and then be unable to meet demand the other 10%. Let me spend construction time and admin points to build some warehouses and then let me fill them with bullets and rifles.

I suspect they took out national stockpiles because they forced too much micro and led to frequent price swings as they depleted/replenished. But it would make a lot of sense for at least weapons, ammo and ships to get stored in barracks/ports.

It is weird that chronic food shortages don't really seem to lead to noticeable consequences, as opposed to being the single most important factor for most of the population.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

If your expectations are influenced by past Paradox launches, this game seems reasonably playable and has tons of potential. If you're coming in without that caveat, it's janky as all hell and has several issues which make the late game borderline unplayable at the moment.

I'm having a blast personally.

IMO it's quite a bit worse off than CK3 was at launch. I apparently played over 100 hours of CK3 in the first 6 weeks after release (oof) and haven't touched it since. I've got 20 so far in V3 and don't really feel like finishing the one game I got to 1917 in or starting a new one until more of the glaring bugs and balance issues get fixed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm trying to play as Colombia and having an okay time when I'm in a customs union with a larger country but an awful, miserable time otherwise. I went from Spain but dropped them when they had a lengthy revolt that killed all trade. Went to Britain, but they overthrew the monarchy and turned into... an empire ruled by the Austria-Este family?! Managed to hop onto France's market (I think I lucked out when they took on my debt and demanded I join their union to fulfill the obligation, which, uh yeah?) just in time to avoid total economic collapse again and hey guess what, they also had a revolution and tossed me out. Now it's 1890 and I've maxed out relations with every nearby major power and none of them want to let me in again. The base -100 reluctance to do anything is just crippling for diplomacy. I've been allied to Peru-Bolivia for the entire game and even that isn't good enough to overcome that unreasonable base reluctance.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Agean90 posted:

what is your Columbia demanding so much of that it joining a customs union is the kiss of death

From a while back but it was leaving a customs union that was brutal. I built a lot of textile mills and furniture factories early on because they're very profitable but I didn't have enough fabric/wood to supply them. I was short on tools and groceries too, having neglected them. In the end I reloaded an earlier save and managed to survive outside of a customs union after some grim years of building everything I lacked, expanding bureaucracy to support more trade, and narrowly avoiding repeated bankruptcies.

Now I just hate the war system and particularly the baffling randomness of how many and which battalions joint a battle.

megane posted:

I feel like a big missing component in the game is the downsides of industry. A lot of the tension in the industrial revolution came from cities and factories being pretty miserable places to live and work, as I understand it. In game, life in a city as a garment factory worker is just strictly better than life as a subsistence farmer, and the only reason factories create political tension is that peasants just don't care about politics.

In Vicky 1/2 you could screw yourself badly trying to industrialize too early and literally starve your population from a lack of farmers. Agriculture just ... doesn't really matter in V3, which makes no sense. Feeding your population is trivial at any point in the game. The only famines that really happen are scripted ones from the extremely annoying natural disaster events.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 14, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think there's a mix of bugs that can be easily fixed and should have been in beta, and systems with more serious design flaws.

The AI is incredibly bad and stupid but apparently mods make it better so it could be fixable. Diplomacy seems busted but probably because of the AI, which in most games rarely seems to do much. I had Habsburgs unify Mega Germany sometime in the 1860s and they've been the runaway strongest nation in the game but didn't colonize or go to war or do anything with their 1000+ battalions. They haven't even bothered to annex a dozen or so remaining German duchies and kingdoms.

Most of the things that actually happen in the game are due to internal revolts from often nebulous turmoil. So far I've had Portugal turn communist, Britian turn into an empire and then communist, the US have a fascist revolt and then released Louisiana as New Africa for some reason, Canada have a communist revolt that turned into a fascist revolt with the same leader (wtf?). The IG/party system seems mostly fine but I don't understand why IGs seemingly randomly leave and join parties, or why parties form and then disappear.

Warfare seems broken with the random sizes of battles, but the front system itself seems like it should be workable assuming the bugs are unintentional.

The trade route system... I don't know what they were thinking. Who was asking for manual trade routes for individual goods? I don't know if it's necessary for the rest of the economy to work but it is a terrible unfun mechanic.

Juggling build orders can be fun if you're into making number go up (in principle, I mean; the queue UI is Not Great). The manual adjustment of production methods is awful and possibly more perplexing than manual trade routes (as in why they thought this would be a compelling gameplay loop, not how it works).

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 14, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fuligin posted:

I like the production method stuff. seems pretty simple to manage?

I like the principle of it, and it's not too bad to manage in a small country without too many states. When you get to the stage of fiddling with production types in individual states because you can't afford to do it across the country (especially with construction sectors), that's where I wish it would just automagically adjust to resource availability and leave me alone.

(also if you conquer a new, backwards state you might have to change all the production types in every building. blah)

Waifu Radia posted:

i think it needs tuning but im not sure what you mean by it being unfun to directly engage in market prices and have to consider what boosting rival economies can mean

The trade route selection UI is reasonably helpful but 90% of the time I do not care which particular market I am importing from/exporting to.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 14, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

OddObserver posted:

You probably don't want to import the lead for your ammunition from countries you expect to go to war with...

That sounds efficient and poetic, actually.

"Let them eat lead" - some French lady.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gort posted:

rulers living way too long

How is this so hard for them to fix :psyduck:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arrath posted:

That Standard Oil poster was right

Thank you.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

As Russia, I supported a Polish Secession movement in Prussia. Everything's going great, winning battles, etc. Then the second war support on the Prussian side drops below 0% (while over 40% on the Polish side), they suddenly force a peace deal and crush the secession?! The gently caress?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Magissima posted:

I saw this happen once, it was because the uprising ran out of money. If you anticipate it you can pay off their debt and bankroll them.

Ugh, that was probably it. Would be nice if there was some way to find out besides hovering over the war support tooltip, where I presume they would have been in the red for cash reserves.

On a similar note, I can't figure out what determines the number of radicals in political movements. Every game I've played there have been people on the cusp of revolting against Propertied Women or higher women's rights. I know IG leaders can vary in their opinions, but on the other extreme, as Russia I've already passed universal suffrage and proportional taxation, pissing off the gentry and church. They're at around 7% clout each. However, if I try to change from monarchy even to presidential republic, they flip the gently caress out and immediately 5M+ radicals join the movement to Preserve Monarchy. I can slow down revolution progress to ~1% per month but not stop it entirely. Then when I look at the tooltip it says almost the entire country will side with the gentry (and they do if I let the bar go to 100%). But... why? I mean I don't think deposing the tsar should be easy (I haven't yet been bold enough to click the option to execute him as I figured it would be a guaranteed revolt) but I don't understand how marginal IGs can get the entire country to side with them.

Kraftwerk posted:

I also don’t understand what mechanic determines how a general commanding 40 battalions only attacks the front with 4 of them while the enemy gets to defend with 7. I had the advantage in numbers but I lost 50 battles because the defenders always outnumber me.

I suspect it's a combination of a bug/bad design, but also accidentally being one of the few things stopping the player from painting the entire map their colour with any medium-sized country or above. I haven't seen any good suggestions as to how to get around it. Better generals help (keep hiring and firing new ones as long as you can afford the penalties). The internet suggests to open more fronts if you can, which in landlocked countries you can't. As Russia against the Ottomans I should have done some naval invasions because otherwise the game considers the Caucasus + Dobrudja/Bulgaria as one unified front (:rolleye:) so you can't just march down both sides of the Black Sea.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 18, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

FirstnameLastname posted:

there should really be more influencing where you locate a given industry besides throughput bonuses and infrastructure level. it's kiiiind of modeled through tax efficiency, but not in an interesting way imo. it should really matter more which people are being empowered and how densely concentrated that power is

All I'm asking for is an icon in the build queue indicating if the state has a bonus to producing the resource.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Boy the AI sure loves to weigh in on diplomatic plays that don't involve them at all for the stupidest loving reasons (not on your side, though).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hiveminded posted:

Speak for yourself, it's obviously just demonstrating the advantages of the Dengist model

Slam dunk for Luol Deng on this one, IMO.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My armed forces IG doubled in clout because I hit the 20 general limit and have been forced to promote almost all of them to keep every battalion under command, and the recruitment pool offers me Armed Forces generals probably 3/4 of the time and never any good IGs.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Most of the mega wars I've had so far have been due to major powers jumping into diplomatic plays for little to no discernible benefit, rather than between large alliance blocs (which did happen in V2).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

TwoQuestions posted:

Waitaminute, so a bunch of railroads in New Jersey can provide Transportation to farms in Texas? That's completely bonkers, I thought I had to build a Railroad in every single State to get Transportation available everywhere!

You end up needing lots of local railroads to maintain 100% market access.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm using chainsaws because I've maxxed out almost every logging camp in my empire and yet my people still thirst for hardwood. ;)

Naval warfare is baffling. What's the point of separate escort and raid orders? There is no need for any granularity in orders besides "go to this general area and blow poo poo up" and naval invasion.

I'm on my nth world war now where second-rate powers decided to join the underdog side in exchange for a favour. The diplomatic AI is just braindead. Even when they do ask for something it's almost always stupid. Like I took Outer Manchuria from China but in the next war they fought they asked for Liberate Poland instead of getting it back.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gort posted:

Chainsaws don't increase hardwood per camp though

Nothing does

drat it. Well, as it turns out I'm still short on softwood, just less so.

Koramei posted:

I will say one criticism I really don’t get, having a bunch of land wars now — they’re mostly fine? Like, way more compelling than having to micro stacks around in EU or CK. Fronts breaking up is annoying but no more than lots of stuff in the other games.

I don't see anything compelling about the randomly rolled one battle per front that also makes most of the general traits meaningless and naval invasions are a buggy mess. For example, even if you successfully claim a beachhead, sometimes your army will just instantly teleport back to its HQ. You can thankfully teleport them back by issuing two different orders to the same front :rolleye:.

The front system is an okay idea but the implementation sucks. Managing generals and HQs is awful.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koramei posted:

The current war system feeds back into emphasizing the primacy of economy and technology of your nation rather than basing it on micro, the game shouldn't be about war, and it isn't; that's plenty compelling. If you've done a good enough job managing your nation, the randomness isn't going to screw you more than plenty of like events in history. Yeah there is some bullshit too for sure, there is in EU4 and CK3 as well.

In what way does it do that? It's rigged so that defenders get an overwhelming advantage regardless of numerical superiority, and even a technological edge isn't enough at times.

The notion that a strategy game covering the era of Crimea, Taiping, Civil War and WW1 shouldn't be "about war" is an absurd excuse for the systems being at best half-baked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

On another note entirely, do you need to bother with the colonial affairs institution once all of your colonies are done growing? Does it do anything if you have unincorporated states?