Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've been doing the E3 thread for 6-7 years now, possibly longer. What E3 was when I first started doing them, versus what it has become in the years since, is a wide chasm. There's a reason that the gifs I've used in the threads have been pulled from prior threads. Hey, here's a couple of them now!

In fact, E3 did not even happen last year. This was probably for the best, as E3 had just idiotically doxxed all of its attendees and journalists the year prior, so having the year off due to COVID allowed them to do the same thing athletes do when they get into scandal-- wait until people forget and then come back. If I didn't mention it just now, would you have remembered? Did you even know it happened in the first place?

Last year's thread only had 6 pages, because the other events that happened in the summer were just not interesting enough to suck people in I guess. Well, there still are Summer Events this year, one hosted by Geoff Keighley, so they'll be listed in the schedule below. Am I just copying links from other forums? How dare you. Yes.

SCHEDULE

May 25th: Monser Hunter Digital Event (7 AM PT/10 AM ET)
https://www.twitch.tv/monsterhunter
This is expected to mostly be about Monster Hunter Stories 2 with some Rise v3.0 details.

May 26th: Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary Special (8:30PM PT/11:30 PM ET)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfmOWgfYVjY
I wouldn't expect a ton from this event, as even if Dragon Quest 12 is officially announced with a trailer, it won't be out anytime soon. I'd say you have a bigger chance of seeing spin-off titles like DQ Heroes or DQ Builders get an announcement here, as well as more mobile titles/ports.

May 27th: Sonic 30th Anniversary (9 AM PT/12 PM ET)
Get ready to be disappointed by whatever new game Sonic Team is working on (assuming there's anything other than a teaser). There's also a rumor of yet another Sonic collection.

May 27th: Horizon Forgotten West State of Play (2 PM PT/5 PM ET)
https://www.twitch.tv/playstation
The sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn will probably offer more of that patented bow & arrow combat and robot dinosaurs. Being an open world sequel, it will probably be a whole lot larger, to its own detriment. gently caress Ted Faro

June 5th: Indie Live Expo (2 AM PT/5 AM ET)
https://www.twitch.tv/indie_live_expo_en
I have no idea why they are starting so early in the morning, but this is an indie-only presentation. Maybe they crunched the numbers and found that the biggest indie game nerds are up that early? Well they didn't ask me!!!

June 10th: Summer Game Fest, Hosted by Geoff Keighley (10:30AM PT/1:30 PM ET)
https://www.twitch.tv/summergamefest
Geoff is doing his own thing this year instead of E3, probably because The Game Awards has already managed to steal some of E3's announcement thunder during the holiday season. I would expect a TGA level of announcements here, since most publishers/developers will be saving their big stuff for E3. But there will still be 30 announcements, it sounds like, so it won't really be ignorable.

June 12th: Guerilla Collective (8 AM PT/11 PM ET)
This is technically their second stream which will have more indie game announcements. Demon Turf may show up in this one based on a tweet seckswrecks linked in the discord....

June 12th: Wholesome Direct (10AM PT/1 PM ET)
What started out as a twitter account highlighting cute and all-ages games has now grown to the size of having little "Directs" highlighting indie games with a carefree or relaxing vibe.

June 12th: Ubisoft Forward (12PM PT/3PM ET/8PM BST)
https://www.twitch.tv/ubisoft
The only thing I know about Ubisoft other than their inability to deal with sexual predators within their corporate structure, is that they have a new Far Cry coming out. And Beyond Good & Evil 2 is never coming out.

June 12th: Devolver Digital (1:30 PM PT/4:30 PM ET/9:30 PM BST) - I think the gimmick of these has sort of worn off at this point, but I do appreciate that they made a first-person walking simulator digital expo last time. I wouldn't be surprised if they continued that, because the trend of the lobby+demo/trailer collection has been on the rise (Haunted PS1 Demo Disc, Dread X Collections) the past year.

June 12th: Gearbox (2 PM PT/5 PM ET/10 PM BST)
Hope you like Tiny Tina and magic tricks!!

June 13th: Xbox (10 AM PT/1 PM ET)
Last year, Xbox made the pretty disastrous move of showcasing the Series X's power with Halo Infinite, a title that looked like an Xbox One launch game in its debut footage. They'll probably be re-introducing it and hoping that they gave it a "remove Sonic's human teeth from the Sonic movie" glow-up in the time since. Xbox bought Bethesda so you'll probably see Deathloop and Starfield here.

June 13th: Square-Enix (12:15 PM PT/3:15 PM ET)
It's always important to remember there are two sides to S-E: the very successful Final Fantasy side, and the annually financially disappointing western side. Most likely you will see more of the latter here. Hey, remember the Avengers game??

June 13th: PC Gaming Show (2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET)
https://www.twitch.tv/pcgamer
Going digital I think actually helps PC Gaming Show because I've never gotten the impression that they need a stage for what they do, which is just show trailers and do casual interviews. Presumably Day9 will be hosting as always.

June 13th: Future Game Show (4 PM PT/7 PM ET/12 AM BST)
"There's plenty of huge game reveals, trailers, and deep dives with over 40 games from publishers including SEGA, Private Division, Team17, XSEED Games, and more. Expect to be blown away by the lineup, which is officially a part of this year's E3 2021, especially when we have gaming royalty in the form of Laura Bailey and Troy Baker to help guide us through the show." After The Medium I wouldn't call Troy Baker royalty anymore, but that's just me

June 14th: Capcom (2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET)
Capcom has only promised 4 games will be shown at this so far: The Great Ace Atttorney Chronicles, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Monster Hunter Rise, and Resident Evil Village. Two of those are already out, you say? Look I don't know either. Rise you can at least argue there'll be some sort of update/patch to talk about. Is RE8 getting DLC already maybe?

June 15th: Nintendo (9 AM PT/12 PM ET)
Nintendo will "be" at E3 (in the sense that anyone is "at" a digital event). Breath of the Wild 2 will surely get the largest amount of attention, but there is also Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, Pokemon Legends, and rumors of a new Donkey Kong game from the Mario Odyssey team. Metroid Prime 4 I think is still hiring at every single position so like. You can probably scratch that one off the list.

July 22nd: EA Live 2021
https://www.twitch.tv/ea
Uh.. sports and battlefield.

TBD Summer: Sony State of Play
Sony is not allied with E3 anymore, but they should still have a summer event. The Playstation 5 is still searching for its second game after the Demon's Souls remake.

GAMES OF E3

2021 releases:
Deathloop (PS4, PS5, PC)
Far Cry 6 (multi) - Featured in Xbox Event
Halo Infinite (Series X) - Featured in Xbox Event
Horizon Forbidden West (PS5) - Featured in State of Play event
Kena: Bridge of Spirits (PS5) - Featured in Tribeca Film Festival event
God of War: Ragnarok (PS5)
Monster Hunter Stories 2 (Switch, mobile) - Featured in Summer Game Fest Kickoff event
Psychonauts 2 (Xbox, PC) - Featured in Xbox Event
Mario Golf: Super Rush (Switch) - Featured in Nintendo Direct
Life is Strange: True Colors (multi) - Featured in Square-Enix Event and Nintendo Direct
Scarlet Nexus (multi) - Not Featured at E3
The Great Ace Attorney Collection (multi) - Featured in Capcom E3 Event
No More Heroes 3 (Switch) - Not Featured at E3
Lost Judgment (multi) - Not Featured at E3

2022 releases:
Hollow Knight: Silksong - Not Featured at E3
Breath of the Wild 2 (Switch) - Featured in Nintendo Direct
Starfield (Xbox, PC) - Featured at Xbox Event

TBA releases:
Ghostwire: Tokyo (unsure now after Xbox acquisition) - Not Featured at E3
Vampire the Masquerade 2 (multi) - Not Featured at E3
Axiom Verge 2 (Switch, EGS) - Featured in Day of the Devs stream

INDIE SPOTLIGHT
If the AAA games of E3 don't interest you (or just bore you), here are some interesting indie games coming soon. Some of these may show up in the indie game presentations (such as Wholesome Direct or ID@XBOX), some may still be further off.

Alekon - Featured (and RELEASED) during Wholesome Direct

I've played a demo of this (still available) and it was basically a B-grade Pokemon Snap. In addition to taking pictures of various creatures in various ways, creatures also offer mini-games and sidequests in the home village to add a bit of variety to the gameplay.

Bonfire Peaks (Q3 2021) - Not Featured at E3

The latest brain-frying puzzle game in the vein of games like Stephen's Sausage Roll and A Monster's Expedition, developed by the creator of Pipe Push Paradise.

Boomerang X (Summer) - Not Featured at E3

The latest Devolver game which you'll likely see at their E3 event. An arena shooter where you wield a boomerang to attack enemies and a throwing star style attack. You can also pull yourself towards the boomerang, allowing you to zip up and down and all around. Definitely will appeal to fast shooter fans.

Garden Story (2021) - Featured in Day of the Devs stream

A cute action and exploration game with some life-sim elements where you go from town to town fighting off the Rot.

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder - Featured in Future Game Show (Autumn)

2D games lately have been moving more towards 32-bit aesthetics and I'm here for it. This is an sidescrolling action game that might have Metroidvania elements to it (sorry if you're tired of those!). The demo looked good and felt good to play.

Lunark (2021) - Not Featured at E3

If you've been waiting for a proper Flashback continuation, this might come the closest. Yeah there's talk of a Flashback sequel (other than Fade to Black), but being realistic, I doubt it will be true to the original. This sort of crunches the Flashback aesthetic down into a smaller pixel count but it's exactly what you're expecting.

Mineko's Night Market (2021) - Not Featured at E3

Look they.. they say it's still being worked on, and it's not vaporware. If it's not vaporware, then Mineko is a cat-themed life sim, with fishing, minigames, puzzles, crafting, all the stuff you expect. If the art style looks familiar, Meowza has also done the art for Alphabear, Road Not Taken, and Loot Rascals.

Outrider Mako (TBD) - Not Featured at E3

Deliver packages to people, fight bosses, and bop on people's heads like Sonic Adventure. The demo for this was highly polished, but the game was delayed out of 2020 and currently has no release date.

Renaine (2021) - Not Featured at E3

Renaine is dope. I actually stopped playing the demo while playing it because I didn't want to play too much before the actual game comes out. Fluid combat and platforming, a great art style, and a soundtrack combining jazz, edm & rap.

Sable (2021) - Featured in Summer Game Fest Kickoff,Tribeca Film Festival, and Guerilla Collective streams

A release date! The dead speak! The game mixing Mobius and Breath of the Wild will be out by the end of September, and a demo will be releasing on Steam during Next Fest (June 16-22).

UFO 50 (TBD) - Not Featured at E3

SURELY, SURELY we'll see this within the next year. ..r--right? I mean Spelunky 2 is done so Derek Yu can help push the various devs to finish up their games. So it.... it's gotta be getting close.... SURELY.... surely it's coming soon.

Unsighted (Fall 2021) - Featured in Gamespot's Play4All Event

Humble Games is publishing this top-down ARPG that combines hack & slash with twin stick shooting. It seems like it might appeal to Crosscode fans. Will have an interconnected world with shortcuts to unlock, which is important because you're racing against the clock.

War Girl (TBD) - Not Featured at E3

The developer of very good freeware game Khimera is working on a new Treasure-inspired game. The demo was great, and the visuals are much improved over the awkward look of the previous game. Unfortunately the developer is having some financial difficulties so the game is probably far off for now.

WORK IN PROGRESS
This post will be updated as more events are announced and we get closer to E3. So far, none of The Big 3 have given a specific date for when they'll host an event but they are all expected to soon, and we're less than 3 weeks away at this point. Some events have dates but not times listed yet. You may be wondering why there's no subtitle. Well, that's kind of how both I and the industry as a whole feel about E3 at this point. It's not because I clicked post early at all. It is but it isn't. You can post now.

https://i.imgur.com/oJ8XgNJ.mp4

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
HYPE

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

looking forward to video games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looking forward to previewing the hot games of 2023

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

take a shot every time they say world premiere and then keel over halfway through whichever showcase you do it for

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mix. posted:

take a shot every time they say world premiere and then keel over halfway through whichever showcase you do it for

When they put up on the screen "all of the following games are world premiers" do I drink until the trailers stop or the card goes away?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Peggle...3!!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I like video games. I like fun. I want to live in a hamburger bun

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
I bet they announce Dragon Quest 12 during that stream. There's 12 leaves, or birds maybe, on the logo it has to mean something man

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragon Quest Jury: 12 Angoory Slimes

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gaming is trash and I am here to consume the trash. Looking forward to five years from now when E3 is just a year long, non-stop revolving door of stupid conferences.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

First possible E3 leak:
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1396855668355780611

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I am going to dearly miss companies making cringeworthy asses of themselves on stage this year. Those moments give me sustenance.

Orv
May 4, 2011

man nurse posted:

I am going to dearly miss companies making cringeworthy asses of themselves on stage this year. Those moments give me sustenance.

It is the only bad part of how things have gone, I will always miss the opportunity for this year's new Peggle 2 guy.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

What the hell is the context of this

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Man, that 360/Wii/PS3 era was just an incredible run for E3 cringe.

Skyarb posted:

Semi-well-meaning E3 cringe gave way to ironic edgy corporate-counter-culture pressers.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Skyarb posted:

Devolver's E3 shows, thus far, have been excessively gory over the top faux-deconstructions of old E3 shows that were all about hype and weird stage presence and poo poo. I think that was the second one?

In practice it was kind of funny once and Devolver is increasingly "Hey fellow kids" with their whole "Haha doesn't DLC and poo poo suck!? Here's our DLC this year!" schtick.

E: Granted I think they are kind of moving away from that whole deal.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 24, 2021

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay so looking at the OP it's not that we exactly have E3 anymore but we do have a bunch of video game announcements to made in the last month of spring that could be called E3 if you really wanted.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Skyarb posted:

That lady was so excited about devolver's newest announcement she got an anime boner nosebleed

Orv
May 4, 2011

Caidin posted:

Okay so looking at the OP it's not that we exactly have E3 anymore but we do have a bunch of video game announcements to made in the last month of spring that could be called E3 if you really wanted.

There is actually an E3 again this year, it's entirely digital and it's kind of an open question whether anything will actually be shown there since almost everyone has moved to their own conferences and all that. It probably won't be too long before we see the second death of E3.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Caidin posted:

E3 in its official capacity is June 12th to 15th, but Microsoft and Nintendo have not given official dates for their E3 events yet

E3 also has a host, although it's Greg Miller rather than Geoff Keighley

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Orv posted:

Devolver's E3 shows, thus far, have been excessively gory over the top faux-deconstructions of old E3 shows that were all about hype and weird stage presence and poo poo. I think that was the second one?

In practice it was kind of funny once and Devolver is increasingly "Hey fellow kids" with their whole "Haha doesn't DLC and poo poo suck!? Here's our DLC this year!" schtick.

E: Granted I think they are kind of moving away from that whole deal.

There a youtube link to this, I cannot seem to find it, my google skills lacking

Orv
May 4, 2011

Skyarb posted:

There a youtube link to this, I cannot seem to find it, my google skills lacking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHOWFfxs1fg

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If Forbidden West doesn't get a release date at Sony's event then it's deffo not coming out in 2021. And I'd say it's 50/50 even if it does get one.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Woof that was rough

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Souls people seem to be convinced that elden ring stuff is coming really soon based on an insider's (?) resetera post. So get really excited for that so you can be bitterly disappointed in a month or so

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

mutata posted:

Man, that 360/Wii/PS3 era was just an incredible run for E3 cringe.

My favourite one is someone’s mum playing the Harry Potter wonder book on stage for what felt like an eternity.

Apparently some announcement had to be cancelled at the last moment and Sony had to fill the time. Just end the show early!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Never forget Peggle 2. Hero of another time, cherished by the few brave enough to whisper its name. One can only hope we may see them once more.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think Nintendo's health device line would be the most baffling, if Ubisoft didn't show off Laser Tag and a breath control game

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

But where is stadia in all this?!?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Google took Stadia out back and put a tarp over it so no one would ask, despite their assurances otherwise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The 7th Guest posted:

Dragon Quest 12 is officially announced with a trailer

Choosing to only see these words in this sentence, I can only assume the words preceding and following them are irrelevant and not requiring any attention.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

One more pre-E3 direct

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1397220919865659410

"Projects" is incredibly vague so everyone will probably expect a new Sonic Mania or something and instead it'll be, like, yet another Sonic ROM collection

oh and of course Sonic Forces 2

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I would be hella pumped to play my Original the Character again, in a game that didn't feel cobbled together at the last minute.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/1397175628571443200

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Cross-posting this here, some of us are receiving Xbox-colored postcards in the mail that you can call a weird number and receive a message about something coming.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/an...e-coming.430745

One commonality among many of the recipients is a recent order from iam8bit. Anyway, it's possible that some Xbox news is on the way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

wuggles posted:

One commonality among many of the recipients is a recent order from iam8bit.

So... new tat?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

E3 also has a host, although it's Greg Miller

Wait, what? Ewwwwww.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ErrEff posted:

Wait, what? Ewwwwww.

Geoff versus Greg. One white guy remains

Adbot