Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I forget when I stopped watching TUF but those guys are some of the guys I like to remember the most. Remember the first season when carrying an armchair on a beach was the sole determining factor in what would be your MMA future? I happened upon a picture of the season one cast and I swear on my life I remember who Ganyo was, I remember Willa Ford, I very clearly remember the guy who got cut without ever even once touchin'em up at Magzzagattis behest, but I could not remember for the life of me the guy in the back middle. With the head shaped like a fire hydrant.

Nothing at all in my vast databanks of remembered guys. If you remember this man then I salute you. Also since he is dead now I'm sure he'd appreciate in a ghostly way being remembered once more. Solve the riddle for yourselves and go look him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

shadow puppet of a posted:

I forget when I stopped watching TUF but those guys are some of the guys I like to remember the most. Remember the first season when carrying an armchair on a beach was the sole determining factor in what would be your MMA future? I happened upon a picture of the season one cast and I swear on my life I remember who Ganyo was, I remember Willa Ford, I very clearly remember the guy who got cut without ever even once touchin'em up at Magzzagattis behest, but I could not remember for the life of me the guy in the back middle. With the head shaped like a fire hydrant.

Nothing at all in my vast databanks of remembered guys. If you remember this man then I salute you. Also since he is dead now I'm sure he'd appreciate in a ghostly way being remembered once more. Solve the riddle for yourselves and go look him up.

Off the top of the head

Back row:

Kos, Hoger, Swick, Forrest, Randy, I wanna say Lodune Sincaid?, Chuck, Bonnar, Quarry, Schoenauer, Karalexis, Southworth, Sanford

Front row:

This man is a blank in my brainzo, Ken Flo, Thacker, Leben

Splits:

Sanchez

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The blank spot is Josh Rafferty, who got choked out by Diego and knocked out by Karalexis in like a minute each

edit: and yes, lobmob is correct, the top dude with the weird head was Lodune Sincaid

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Remember Cezar "Mewtanch" Ferreira?

Came in off of TUF: Brazil and was The Next Big Deal and beat some Brazilians and then got KOed by C.B. Dolloway. And then Sam Alvey. Then Jorge Masvidal in an illl-advised drop to welterweight.

He lost to Chris Camozzi this year, which I think actually invalidates his Brazilian citizenship.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CommonShore posted:

Came in off of TUF: Brazil and was The Next Big Deal and beat some Brazilians and then got KOed by C.B. Dolloway. And then Sam Alvey. Then Jorge Masvidal in an illl-advised drop to welterweight.

He lost to Chris Camozzi this year, which I think actually invalidates his Brazilian citizenship.

He was Vitor's weird clone-son

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

LobsterMobster posted:

He was Vitor's weird clone-son

Vitor has a Kirill Sidelnikov?

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Until the Dagestanis got involved in MMA, the biggest name in the sport was Jadamba Narantungalag.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

CommonShore posted:

I've seen him fight recently. He's in the PFL LHW semifinals this season, with a 0:37 KO of Nick Roehrick giving him enough points to make up for the UD loss to Camozzi.

I remember the Camozzi fight, because it reminded me how much fun "Mutante" is to say aloud.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Remember KJ Noons and that infuriating fight in Elite XC, itself an already infuriating promotion, when before every feint he'd first touch his bangs on his awful curtians proto-hockey haircut and it led to a spectacularly horrible fight against a countering figher in nate diaz? How do you counter a guy touching his bangs?

There were apparently news articles written about it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/noons-commits-difficult-cut-reluctantly-visits-salon-143605167.html

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

shadow puppet of a posted:

Remember KJ Noons and that infuriating fight in Elite XC, itself an already infuriating promotion, when before every feint he'd first touch his bangs on his awful curtians proto-hockey haircut and it led to a spectacularly horrible fight against a countering figher in nate diaz? How do you counter a guy touching his bangs?

There were apparently news articles written about it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/noons-commits-difficult-cut-reluctantly-visits-salon-143605167.html

Noons was weird and like anyone who Elite XC promoted heavily annoyed me at the time (Mauro's hyperbole can instantly sour me on a fighter) but in hindsight he was actually pretty good, at least when he was on. Just super accurate hands and a nice consistent work rate. If we could make some kind of quantitative index of "fighters who are forgotten" compared to "how bad their records look" compared to "how good was fighter actually" he'd score very highly. He faced some extremely good opposition and made them earn their wins, and even beat a few of them.

But like he also managed to lose to Ryan Couture :thunk:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Karl James got put to sleep by Krazy Horse, lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Dean of Mean, Keith Jardine. I liked most things about The Dean of Mean, Keith Jardine, but mostly I remember that time he tried a kick but instead fell flat on his face.

Also Pat Barry. Pat Barry, you were really short and did a lot of leg kicks and for that I salute you.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Jardine goes down in mma history for his epic uncontested coast through TUF because video game lover matt Hughes has a perverse obsession with beating suga-ray shad and also for the most unnatural xyience plug ever delivered by mortal man. Plus that time he was uppercutted into oblivion by that sorta journeyman older guy who I entirely forgot about but now remember fondly for his anti-jardine services. Who was that guy? Someone please remember upon him.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The upper-cutter was Houston Alexander. Thank you, Houst, for remixing Keith’s brain neurons

Also, remember Trevor Prangley? I’d rather not, but here we are.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

You're thinking of Lugz model No. 2, Houston Alexander.

Was put on UFC 78 as a hype fight to elevate Keith Jardine, instead uppercutted him to death in a minute and got the "HOUSTON ALEXANDER IS FOR REAL" proclamation from Joe Rogan for murdering Alessio Sakara a few months later and then proceeded to never win a UFC fight again, lose a gas-out decision to Kimbo Slice and eventually retire at 17-16-1 (2).

Also he did one of those completely stupid sports science things where they injected him with epinephrine and he punched a dummy while crying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZSJSB9W1iM

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

One of the biggest memories of my UFC fandom was the TUF season between Rampage and Rashad, which allows me to remember many guys:

-Kimbo and Roy Nelson, of course, but they went on to be actual guys not remember some guys

-big Wes Sims who was a weirdo
-Darren "titties" Schoonover, who wore glasses and seemed nicer than all the people mocking him.

Rampage fighting a door and breaking it down with combos was not a guy but I still remember it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

You're thinking of Lugz model No. 2, Houston Alexander.

Was put on UFC 78 as a hype fight to elevate Keith Jardine, instead uppercutted him to death in a minute and got the "HOUSTON ALEXANDER IS FOR REAL" proclamation from Joe Rogan for murdering Alessio Sakara a few months later and then proceeded to never win a UFC fight again, lose a gas-out decision to Kimbo Slice and eventually retire at 17-16-1 (2).

Also he did one of those completely stupid sports science things where they injected him with epinephrine and he punched a dummy while crying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZSJSB9W1iM

Holy poo poo this video. They do the science board. There's the extremely scientific test where they expose him to 0.7 mg* of rudeness to get him clinically mad, and then the "cautious" doctor is like "gently caress it lets inject him with some poo poo and then do it again because why not." There's the blurred out pubes. There's the Requiem for a Dream eye closeup that doesn't actually seem to show anything. The ominous reverb on basic observations. Every minute has new treats.

*mean girls

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

One of the biggest memories of my UFC fandom was the TUF season between Rampage and Rashad, which allows me to remember many guys:

-Kimbo and Roy Nelson, of course, but they went on to be actual guys not remember some guys

-big Wes Sims who was a weirdo
-Darren "titties" Schoonover, who wore glasses and seemed nicer than all the people mocking him.

Rampage fighting a door and breaking it down with combos was not a guy but I still remember it.

Marcus Jones, master of the mummy guard, expert gardener, a True Guy

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don't forget that Schoonover deliberately gained like 40 lbs for the chance to go on TUF, which is why he was so doughy. I think he was an undefeated I think middleweight prospect before that, and after TUF he lost 5 straight.

It's actually unclear what weight class he was in before TUF. His opponents who have records are listed everywhere from Featherweight to Super Heavyweight. Oh, and he went 8-0 in 2008. Never change, "Texas Regional."

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I thought he was a 205er who bulked up, not unlike Chris Weidman's friend, Gian Villante

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

I thought he was a 205er who bulked up, not unlike Chris Weidman's friend, Gian Villante

Oh quite likely. Jake Collier belongs on that list too. He's a chungus hero.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Remember Brandon Thatch was supposed to be the next big thing at welterweight?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

If we’re talking about TUF legends, how about the next GSP, “Fainting” Phillipe Nover?

(He also tried to get people on the show to eat balut. I dare you to look that up.)

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Do you recognize This Guy?

Roger Huerta

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lid posted:

Remember Brandon Thatch was supposed to be the next big thing at welterweight?

if mma just outlawed cowardly grappling, rukus would of have been champ

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

beggar posted:

Do you recognize This Guy?

Roger Huerta

Remember when he narrowly avoided assault charges after beating up that football guy in a street brawl?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Guys I just remembered in succession as I was trying to remember some guys

-jake shields
-mayhem miller
-the other 17 guys involved in the Strikeforce on CBS brawl
-the commentator saying "this is normal in MMA" and thus killing their CBS deal
-seth petruzelli

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Who was the TUF guy who ended up with the entire city if Bali trying to arrest him after he glassed a mobster?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lid posted:

Who was the TUF guy who ended up with the entire city if Bali trying to arrest him after he glassed a mobster?

Wasn't that Faber?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

CommonShore posted:

Wasn't that Faber?

No that was a different story, guy im thinking of in the d-leagues grabbed a microphone after a fight and started pointing to random women in the audience demanding a blowjob desperately.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lid posted:

You're thinking of Junie Browning.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Thats it, cheers.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

the legendary sprawl of keith jardine

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lid posted:

No that was a different story, guy im thinking of in the d-leagues grabbed a microphone after a fight and started pointing to random women in the audience demanding a blowjob desperately.

Speaking of this I also miss dead drunk horny tonya evinger interviews.

I was going to guess that guy in the photo was Brandon Vera.

Can huerta still afford to flex on mma people with his WINNING brand Japanese boxing gloves? Does he still use the same now ragged decade old pair?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

the legendary sprawl of keith jardine

Yes! Thank you so much this is exactly what I was referring to.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Can I also remember entire orgs in here?

Specifically all of “Night club to the Fight club” WFA frequented by club vips Tiki Ghoson and Frank Trigg? How unlucky is the world that someone’s 4am rewarch hallucinations of “Lionheart” didn’t actually come to pass.

Also that time Iron Ring tired to cast its MMA reality show by having a bunch of guys just show up at a spot in New York City expecting to audition and instead having them fist fight each other with zero preparation, sanctioning, medical, insurance, weight classes or anything remotely legal.

Sad that the totally insane era of American mma startups will never come back. poo poo I just had to throw out my free YAMMA t shirt last week. Rip that org too.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
If were doing entire orgs then we cant not talk about this forums love of Oplot.

Oplot being a Ukrainian mma outfit which was in a strip club with hilariously out of date pro-Soviet leanings. It was a drunken joke to kill time and even some UFC fighters fought in Oplot.

And then Russia invaded and Oplot literally became a paramilitary fascist group in support of Russia who have committed literal war crimes including murder, torture and war rape. They are currently wanted for crimes against humanity.

Yeah it kind of taught a lot about imaging isnt a joke.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

if mma just outlawed cowardly grappling, rukus would of have been champ

It was tragic how he got grappled out of the ufc by the smallest, weakest men possible

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lid posted:

What the gently caress? This sounds insane where do I find this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cisneros posted:

It was tragic how he got grappled out of the ufc by the smallest, weakest men possible

When bendo tossed him around it looked like he was manhandling a lightheavyweight.