Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

apatheticman posted:

Roll up the rim to reconcile
:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

enki42 posted:

That's sort of the state of the whole world though (not that it excuses Canada in any way). Is there any country where a most of the people in it have legitimately acknowledged and atoned for all the horrible things they had done in the past? Germany is the only possible exception that springs to mind, and in that case the scale was just too large (and Germany was so throughly defeated) that it was impossible to ignore.
New Zealand?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

All the more reason why weepy politicians talking about how sad this all is deserve to get shot into the sun. gently caress the politicians, get a public advocacy group to examine the sites and lay the skeletons at the feet of those responsible. It doesn't matter if the politicians reject responsibility they were never going to accept. What is important is that the public knows and forces action.

Japan has a similar issue with accepting responsibility as mentioned above, but I fault governments and their imposition of what constitutes "culture" rather than individuals when it comes to recognizing historical atrocities. When governments refuse to accept truth it is up to the public to educate themselves and lay the truth bare. The mindset of "we did nothing wrong" in Japan isn't universal, and neither is the mindset here in Canada with regards to residential schools. Most of it is born from ignorance inflicted by government systems rather than an ingrown hatred and denial.

flakeloaf posted:

The Hiroshima museum "recall[s] with great sorrow the many lives sacrificed to mistaken national policy", which is the closest thing I've ever seen to an admission... not that I've looked that hard, of course
My impression of the average Japanese person's views of the war after living there is that they know they did some awful things during that time and regret it, even if they can't point to discrete examples. The waters are muddied a lot because of toxic historiography in Japan history, heavily manipulated by a long campaign run by far right groups with close ties to the LDP that make sure textbooks and curriculums suit their agenda. You're probably never going to hear about Unit 731 or the Rape of Nanking in a Japanese school, and I'd imagine you'd have a difficult time publishing a book or article about topics like that too. There's also the cultural norm there that heavily frowns upon upsetting the social order, in addition to the risks of going against the agenda of entrenched and powerful groups if someone actually wanted to get loud about this.

Every now and then you do see some healthier reflection like at the museums at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Nagasaki had an important introductory section where they briefly laid out the path to the nuclear attack through the war in China and the subsequent war in the Pacific.

Beelzebufo posted:

I know quite a few Redblack fans in Ottawa. It's definitely a thing people care about, enough to fill the stadiums anyway.
A Redblacks game was bar none the worst sports experience I've ever had, it's the only place I've ever seen fans of the same team boo eachother.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Lassitude posted:

With time religion will go away on its own as a major cultural force. The Internet broke that spell I think, we're all way less religious than our parents. It would be nice to eliminate the special place the Catholic Church holds within Canadian society, though. Do they really need their own separate school board in Ontario, for example, given their history and contemporary irrelevance?

enki42 posted:

I think the Catholic school system will unfortunately outlast most actual practicing Catholics in Ontario. There's no upside to any party getting rid of it - the people who think it shouldn't exist are at most sort of mildly annoyed by it, and it isn't going to make the top 10 list of anyone's voting priorities, and there's a smaller group of people who absolutely will not vote for you if you advocate getting rid of it.
This, plus Catholic schools are written into the constitution so it would be a massive legal mess to integrate them into secular boards or get rid of them.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Just start with the RCMP and we’ll let you know when to stop
If only...

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

PT6A posted:

And, not-online, it seems most people are generally doing that. Everywhere I've gone has been a mix of masks and not-masks, and no one's getting upset or yelling or anything.
My partner and I were being very confrontational with maskless people in our building's common areas during the winter. At this point we've given up since we're both double vaxxed, most people in our area have one or both doses, cases are a fraction of what they were, and we're just so tired of getting in people's faces about doing the bare minimum to mitigate a loving plague. It's just not worth the fight anymore, and we've more or less figured out who the assholes in our building are thanks to this.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
At least because it's July they can't open up schools way too early again.

Please don't turn into a real life Beaverton article send kids back to school in July or August.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I think the side effects are a total dice roll. Some people feel absolutely nothing, some have mild symptoms, and some get knocked on their rear end.

GF and I got Pfizer for both our doses, and we were actually shocked that we shared almost identical experiences both times. First shot was a mildly sore arm for a day, second shot was the sore arm again with a general feeling of laziness, but the latter could be cause by so many other things.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

tagesschau posted:

Love to pay twice as much for a house as it would be worth if it were properly built, and not even get that.
canadianrealestate.txt

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

These guys are all fuckers and buying a new house has --- imo --- been a horrible decision. Our siding has come off regularly and the guy was like, "well i normally leave it but it's been windy" - fucker, it's ALWAYS windy on the prairies. He was supposed to nail them all in but yesterday a small strip on my garage was off. These guys are all crooks and pieces of poo poo. Burn the industry to the ground.
I moved into a brand new condo in September and the experience has been frustrating, almost too many issues to even keep track of. From small things like cupboard doors not sitting properly after a few months or lightbulbs missing from fixtures, to major ones like the smoke alarm breaking and going off at 5am or a leak from upstairs going through a light fixture, the first six months was just a constant stream of problems. And this is one of the better new buildings; the builder would come and fix any problem promptly.

I know any new building is going to have some growing pains but to be that guy for a second, when I lived in Japan one of my places was also a brand new building. Zero issues, everything was perfect with that unit. Crappy buildings everywhere doesn't have to be the norm.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Back when I worked in plumbing supply I was shocked at how many of my customers didn't know basics from the first week of trade school. That at least partially explains why.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

RBC posted:

Every time these small businesses whine, can we please point out that they recieved more government welfare than anyone they're complaining about
I made more money on EI than at my old job where our pay got cut despite our four person department having record sales, around 30k of revenue per day. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall in meetings with accounting, but I'd eat my own hair if the government loans we took weren't brought up as a reason to cut hours, and subsequently pay.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

EvilJoven posted:

That thing is creepy af and going straight in the river sorry about your pet.
The only time We Rate Dogs gave a 0/10 was with the NYPD's version of this Black Mirror poo poo.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Bleck posted:

Dogs are the most dangerous animal in the world and lots of breeds of dog are bred to intentionally have various problems that they constantly suffer from and owning one of those animals and then constantly espousing your appreciation for how it loves you unconditionally is very unsettling to me! :shrug:
This sounds more like a people problem than a dog problem.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
The election may actually be interesting in my riding this time around since Peter Kent is retiring, so the Cons may not necessarily coast to victory in Thornhill.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
What problem do e-scooters solve that hasn't already been solved by bicycles, let alone bicycles with electric assist for hills?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Another Bill posted:

Weird how all these Conservative provincial governments are making dangerous public health decisions just as the Liberals are about to call a federal election!

It must be a coincidence.
lmao if people rightly call the conservative premiers on their murderous policies and it gives Truedau a majority

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

HackensackBackpack posted:

Conservatives every day: "Trudeau must go!"
Trudeau: "Here's an election."
Conservatives: "No, not like that."
Was it someone in this thread that said modern Conservatism has the mentality of a cat walking away from an open door after begging for it to be opened?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
No thank you.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

Granted, JT should kind of go get hosed for lying about voting reform.
I have to remind myself of this every time I even think about voting Liberal.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
The lawn signs are already out in force in my neighbourhood, and so far it's 100% Conservative.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Furnaceface posted:

Someone else that has to suffer living in Barrie I see.
Close-ish, but no cigar. Thornhill. At least Peter Kent is retiring this time though.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
He's back, in electoral district form.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

https://readpassage.com/politician-landlords/

Find out if your representative is a landlord.
Imagine having loving Pierre Poilievre as your landlord. :barf:

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Solution: dissolve the pension plan just before bankruptcy proceedings.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Jesus Christ the libs are gonna lose, aren't they
There's still most of a month for the other parties to totally poo poo the bed.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
It's worth the drive to Acton Plan.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

Probably a good bet that no one voting PPC has any clue what any level of government in Canada does or can do. Also most of the people not voting PPC.
Canadaland's politics podcast was just talking about this the other day. All parties are trying to talk a big game on healthcare... but aside from transfer payments most of it comes down to provincial decisions.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

Any bets on what riding gets the booby prize?
Somewhere in rural Ontario.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Madkal posted:

If Canada really is constantly 4 years behind the state's then we are finally entering the stage of politics where the right enters Trumpian spite ie voting against someone out of spite moreso than for someone. See also: doing stupid things to own the libs, hating any left leaning policy that benefits you etc.
Let's just be happy the Cons or the PPC hasn't found someone who has mastered manipulating the media yet.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
lol imagine voting for a guy who talks about ancestors who probably died 70+ years ago when they have a paragraph to sell themselves

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Calumanjaro posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/escrimshaw/status/1439222895121772544

PPC at 21% in Alberta. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
As horrible as it is to see the chud party set to take a significant portion of the popular vote, I think there's a limit to how much support they can draw if they're the party of anti-vaxxers when the majority of Canadians are fully vaccinated. The problem will be if they can continue to draw voters to them in post-Covid elections and broaden their appeal beyond the most selfish assholes of the country.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Capri Sunrise posted:

Jagmeet posted a new TikTok of himself blankly staring in a shower which is probably the best representation of the federal NDP voting experience.
Doubly so if you live in a riding dominated by any of the other parties.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I know it's only 2/217 polls reporting, but lol O'Toole is tied with the Lib candidate in his riding.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

MakaVillian posted:

This fuckin guy
That bio reads like something an 8th grader would slap together because they don't give a gently caress and just want to be finished with their homework.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
The silver lining with the Liberals lying about electoral reform is that the PPC get jack poo poo in seats despite taking 5% of the vote. This is also the second election in a row where the CPC got more total votes than the Liberals.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Since this is the second election in a row where the CPC has got more votes than the Liberals yet ended up with significantly fewer seats, why aren't they screaming at the top of their lungs for electoral reform? It plays into the conservative persecution complex, and gives them plenty of mud to sling at Trudeau since it was his government that immediately dropped that campaign promise once elected in 2015. This seems like it should be a slam dunk issue for them to take up, am I missing something?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Furnaceface posted:

Wait, does that mean we are sending Rex Murphy to the bottom of the Mariana Trench with all the fish poop? Is there room for Conrad Black? :v:
If only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Furnaceface posted:

Right now most provinces have Conservative premiers, but theyre all in the gutter for approval ratings. Other than Alberta and Saskatchewan what other provinces seem likely to stay Con comes the next provincial election?
Ontario maybe, because the opposition seems perfectly capable of loving up the easiest lay-up of an election.