Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The various Stampeders games I've been to have been much more fun than Flames games. CFL is pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Still so mad that nobody will ask why he's organizing a referendum against the formula he helped write.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:lmao: wow

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Why does the Green Party even exist?

It's the party for people who want more preservation of natural areas, while avoiding any changes to the social order, so that they can maximize their access to said areas.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Vancouver apparently considering charging $1000 or $500 fees for parking permits for High or Moderately polluting vehicles with a model year later than 2022. That policy honestly kinda rules.

However they are also considering a $45/year fee for everybody parking on the street overnight, and $3/night for visitors to an area, which seems much stupider.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/06/14/vancouver-parking-permits/

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

eXXon posted:

Why? $45/year for street parking is a pittance; there's no way that covers more than a tiny fraction of the maintenance costs.

For reference, Toronto's fees are:

No access to on-site parking for resident’s first vehicle permit: $17.21/month
No access to on-site parking for resident’s second and any subsequent vehicle permits: $53.43/month
Resident does have access to on-site parking (permit is for convenience) $75.16/month

Well it's mostly the visitor parking fee thing since it sounds like they want to charge it everywhere. Seems like it'll be a lot of work to ever administrate and enforce in exchange for a pittance of a fee, in addition to being very annoying for road users.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The obvious critique of Georgist LVT is that it only taxes one form of rent-seeking, and there are many kinds of economic rents.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm confused about Alberta and Saskatchewan completely dropping restrictions so soon, seems ill-advised with whats happening with the Delta Variant in the UK?

You're not wrong, but also have you considered that's it Stampede time? Kenney has clearly made some sort of deal with a rodeo devil, he is constantly talking about how important rodeo is. When the deniers held a super spreader rodeo event, Kenney made sure to explain that it's fine because it wasn't hosted by an official rodeo organization.

Cacator posted:

I got my second Moderna shot yesterday and went to bed fine, then woke up feeling like I got hit by a truck!

Yeah this was my experience with second Moderna too. Chills and muscle soreness (some in my arm, but mostly in my back for some reason) until about 24 hours after the injection.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea Stampede 2021 is going to be 100% a celebration of the right wing chud way of life

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Probably be cheaper to just build treatment facilities on site. I think the main problem is that it's very hard to find workers to operate the plants, and training the locals to do it is impossible because racism or something

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's almost as if we need the federal government to do what governments are supposed to do, and spend the money required to operate those plants.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So what was the heritage fund supposed to be used for? Is this related to those rumors that Kenney forced public service workers to pay into a retirement fund that was backed by the canceled oil pipelines?

It was supposed to be a dividend returning sovereign wealth fund that would continue to generate cash whenever the oil money inevitably ran out. Was started by a PC premier even. See: Norway.

But our generations worth of conservative governments were so loving stupid that they decided it would be better to not charge any royalties on the oil, AND pilfer the fund so that we could maintain a flat tax.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

I can't remember if the heritage fund is the same as the pension fund, but all they might have done is heavily invest in Alberta Oil companies

Nah the heritage fund is the older one and seperate from the pension funds, but yes they absolutely did that with the pension plans and almost certainly did that with the heritage fund.

The teachers used to be able to invest their own pension fund, but as of 2019 the UCP legislated that they must use AIMCo (who also manages the Heritage Fund) and as you say they absolutely used that money to try and prop up failing UCP aligned businesses.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 27, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

the cop who wore a blackface costume wasn't a racist

lol holy gently caress. hopefully the crown is going to ap

quote:

Kafi was Black, and while there was no evidence presented at trial that the assault was motivated by racism

:wtc: how is our judicial system this useless and ineffectual?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is there some culturally known way to signal to a driver behind you to turn off their loving highbeams? I saw at least three such people driving with them on in the middle of the day today; it was not dark, it was just raining.

I really wish I had some sort of mirror system that reflects the light that would hit my rearview camera right back to the windshield of the car behind me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Goosed it. posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Can't you toggle your rearview mirror to do just that?

It's 90% serious. That tab does do the dimming of the rear which is nice but does little to reduce the light coming in from the side mirrors, and as far as I know it's not particularly visible to the guy driving behind me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuQhNdpX2GA

seriously though you're not wrong

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

sitchensis posted:

tl;dr version: the usual pap about toxic politics

Just once I would like to see a politician with convictions diagnose the cause of these symptoms rather than bleat the banal refrain of "dysfunction!" Maybe it's also too much to hope that they also propose some loving solutions.

I'm sure Jody Wilson-Raybould is a nice, intelligent person. But this whole thing reeks of self congratulatory triteness. Good job. You've shown that you can correctly identify the most obvious problems we are facing, and that the Canadian political system is unable to respond. Have a gold star.

This type of elementary school analysis is so frustrating. What's worse is that it will be paraded around as if she's a martyr for our times. Unless and until she has the guts to actually propose something, this whole thing just seems like a publicity stunt.

Then again, maybe I am being too critical. Perhaps it's just another example of the lack of any kind of creative ideation or critical analysis that always seems to exemplify a particular class of people who earn a living by huffing each other's farts as they congratulate one another for tinkering at the margins of the homicidal and genocidal policies of neoliberalism.

Sorry for the rant.

She specifically called out FPTP, concentration of power in the PMO, and lack of representation for minorities. Did you want her to write a thesis about it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

infernal machines posted:

https://twitter.com/CityNews/status/1413512766644625410

Ontario take the lead in the race to be the dumbest province in Canada

Lol you say that as if Alberta hadn't removed all restrictions over a week ago, and doesn't have the Calgary Stampede in a couple days.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The particularly galling thing to me has been the cities discarding their mask mandates so fast. Masks are such a tiny, insignificant thing, that protect a large part of the non-vaccinated population (which at this point is still most of the population). Just stick to your guns and require them indoors until the second vaccination rate comes up. :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Just in case anybody is worried about second Moderna for some reason, it did indeed suck a lot, but symptoms for me and everyone I know have been limited to just 24 hours.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It seems real clear there's going to be a Fall of Saigon style exodus within a week or two, it'd probably be better to start collaborator evacs now (we won't do evacs and will absolutely leave them to die).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is Andrew Coyne the one who hates the liberals because a his mom and a Trudeau hooked up once upon a time?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I did the same thing yesterday, and it really helped that the gym was still almost completely empty too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there any credibility to there being an election this fall or is the news media just trying to kill some time and drum up a story?

The NDP certainly believe there is going to be. They've been busily organizing even in the non-competitive ridings, I stopped paying attention when summer started but last I heard they were def expecting a fall election.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

. At this point it's only a question of who's gonna eat more of O'Toole's lunch, Trudeau or Singh.

And this I think is absolutely the relevant question. O'Toole obviously can't attract any more than the hardest core Tory voters, and so it's going to come down to whether NDP voters vote for Jagmeet cause they like him, or Trudeau because they're scared of O'Toole. Personally I suspect it'll be the former and we'll be right back where we started come November.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Georgia went blue last year, what's the odds on Orange Alberta? The NDP's literally within 5% of sending O'Toole to O'blivion at this rate.

Without another right wing party to split with, probably zero. The ANDP are deeply right wing as far as the NDP goes, it seems unlikely that support would translate to the FNDP at a 1:1 rate.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Don't lament the death of Alberta contact tracing, it never worked in the first place.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Vasler posted:

How the heck does Alberta justify fining students, of all people, for not disclosing their student status?

Don't you see? By giving them a pay cut we're doing them a favor. They should want it.

it's because they hate them

PT6A posted:

There was a time when he was just normal incompetent, like Boris Johnson or something.

Neither of these people were ever normal incompetent. They were always awful and always knew what they were doing.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 30, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You're vaccinated go to town

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well if you're all vaccinated the evidence suggests you also are not transmittable carriers, so the three year old would not be at heightened risk.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Scooters are great, and the parking problems have basically sorted themselves out over time in Calgary. They're pretty samey when compared to e-bikes but the scooters are way more popular so :shrug:

Using them is also so much better now that the guidance is to use them in bike paths and side roads, rather than on sidewalks (where operating them is miserable and nobody wants to anyway).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So hinshaw is deflecting criticism of the easing of Covid measures by releasing an Op Ed about the cost of not dealing with other ongoing medical dangers like the opioid crisis.

Ah yes, that will make it easier to pursue the ongoing strategy of "do nothing and hope it goes away"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/indigenous-boats-cut-from-wharf-weymouth-nova-scotia-1.6131510

Well I'm not sure what the rcmp are doing but I know they aren't protecting indigenous fishermen in NS

I wonder how long it would take a jury to convict if one of these fishermen had "accidentally" murdered whoever cut them loose, Gerald Stanley style

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

What Beelzebufo said is probably what's happening here. It's a common thing to have happen. It's not normally a "FYGM" thing but rather a reaction, often unwarranted, to past experience. Sometimes it's also a naive belief that the destination country is a land of opportunity and that they are future millionaires who have a vested interest in supporting Conservatives.

Also I would guess that "this country I've moved to is much better than the country I left (regardless of reason), let's not gently caress it up" is a common sentiment. A pretty lovely one, but still.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

infernal machines posted:

Yes

The CPC is an utter shambles internally and Erin O'Tool is about as popular as the clap even with people who would otherwise vote conservative. The only way for the Liberals to end up with a minority here is if they completely and utterly poo poo themselves on the national stage in some presently unforeseeable way.

Well the classic question that remains to be answered for this cycle is how many ABC voters, seeing that the conservatives are in shambles, decide to vote NDP rather than Liberal. The Liberals will surely win the election, but whether they come up with a majority is still very much an open question.

For whatever it's worth (very little) the 338 Projection has them at 48% majority odds. Random newcomer CalculatedPolitics thinks the Liberals have a much better shot at a majority, but they also think the Liberals are going to pick up four seats in Alberta, which uhhh, lol.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 12, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah CBC is dropping the ball hard here going with "not Nazis" instead of the more accurate "enthusiastic Nazi collaborators".

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

To their credit that's the only photo of O'Toole I've seen where he doesn't look like a complete doofus.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

As someone who was in Morneau's old riding and voted in the by-election last year in the middle of the pandemic I'm assuming they might do what they did there but more widespread.

Tl;dr Things were more... centralized. Instead of a bunch of satellite polling locations in schools and apartment buildings everything was spread out in one hotel. You went in with your card, and depending on your normal polling location you were directed to a different conference room and booth in the hotel. Everything was spread out enough with all the lines everything could be 2m away at all times. Worked pretty well.

Jesus what a poo poo idea, especially during a pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

pokeyman posted:

He wants either vaccination or constant annoying testing. Call it anti-vax if you like but there's a bit more to it.

Lol rapid test every time somebody wants to get on a bus. That truly is a sensible solution with no scaling problems, well done Mr O'Toole.