Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Decent chance that some of it is fool's gold but feels like the Hornets really changed their trajectory this year. Basically all their young guys look like keepers, they should have enough cap space to fix their glaring hole at center this summer, and another lotto pick can't hurt.

I'm nervous about what Melo will look like if his three-point shot doesn't improve/stay steady, but even if this is his baseline he should be a fun and useful guy to have around. Basically their biggest landmine this summer is picking between Malik Monk and Devonte' Graham. I wish keeping Monk was more of a no-brainer, but either would be fine

Jumping into the top four again would be extremely cool, especially if it could get them Mobley, but either way it still feels like they'll have a good shot at the playoffs next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

As long as there’s a center Charlotte can reach on at 11 I’m happy

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

I just feel bad for Schröder, I always liked him as a player before and that Magic quote is gonna murder any chance he had at acceptance by the fan base if he did want to come back.

Which it sounds like he wants to do?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10004772-dennis-schroder-says-staying-with-lakers-next-season-not-even-a-question

I don’t know if the Lakers can actually afford to let him go

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I still don't understand what a team is supposed to do about a player after their deal is up. They have no leverage at that point, an unrestricted free agent can do what they want.

Also Hayward wasn't traded for unless I missed your meaning.

Their leverage is that they can go over the cap to pay him, while most other contenders don’t have the space to give him more than the MLE. So “they can’t afford to let him leave” means they need to pay him whatever he wants or they’re stuck shopping from the garbage bin

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

He’d be a good fit but it’d be crazy to give up a top five pick for two years of Miles

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Maestro posted:

OKC only drafts long armed non shooters.

Speaking of centers though. Richaun Holmes’ $5MM deal is up and he’s unrestricted. He played 61 games and put up 23.4/13.6/2.7 per 100 with 1 steal and 2.6 blocks. His D rating of 115 isn’t great but was also the best on the team. Also had a team high O rating of 130. He fits great next to Fox and I love watching him play.

What is the FA market for centers out there? I know the common knowledge is they’re a dime a dozen but that’s more for backups and it’s not exactly true if you want to actually be good. They better re-sign him on like a 4 for $40 type

Not great. Holmes, Ibaka, Lopez, Nerlens, Theis, Zeller, then a chasm

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Maestro posted:

Just lmfao at Zeller for $14MM sorry man but at least he’ll be off your team!

He'd have been just fine at that salary if he'd been healthy, I honestly wouldn't mind him coming back

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

three posted:

What about Ben Simmons is out of his control?

You can't always force your brain to work right

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Booyah- posted:

saying someone's confidence is shot is not like picking out an exact page of the DSM

yeah, I'm not trying to go there. It's just clearly a mental thing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

He’s definitely going to be a target for Charlotte and they’re going to overpay someone somehow to get a center

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

edit: wrong thread

morestuff fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 22, 2021

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

That’s great, I wish there was more of this stuff

I don’t know if she’s just not interested or what but it’s hard to believe a national outlet hasn’t offered her a job yet

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

hifi posted:

I agree he looked fine but he was also putting up 10 ppg on 20 mpg and MLE guys are like, jae crowder, dillon brooks, kyle anderson

That's basically what those guys were averaging (or worse) when they signed their deals though. Brooks is the exception, but he wanted to stay and he was an RFA anyway

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

Those guys have way more defensive value though

Gotta pay more when you're buying name brand instead of generic

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Half-assed Matrix parodies and Speedy Gonzales, two things I thought that I'd never see again

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

This is such a potentially depressing offseason for so many teams. Every roster I look at it seems someone good is going to need to either get paid or is gonna leave and the replacement options all suck and so few teams have actual cap space.

The FA class sucks but it feels like the teams with actual cap space are going to get guys on really good deals.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I don’t think so I just distinctly recall some articles implying they didn’t think he’s worth maxing out

Just got to bite the bullet at this point, got to have balls of steel to willingly lose talent after making the conference Finals

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 4, 2021

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

If the hawks renounce everyone this summer, (they won't) they have 33m in cap space. But there's no one to sign with that money. And they don't have much to trade unless they want to hollow out the team that just got to the conference finals. I assume they re-sign him

Yeah, and this is their last summer with anything resembling cap space before they have to max out Trae. Unless they can really get something great back in a sign-and-trade, they're better off just keeping Collins around even if it's an overpay. Even if somebody sent them a 2-3 solid players you're probably just taking away minutes from your already solid players

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dexo posted:

This is why I wouldn't give him the max, I would much rather spend that money elsewhere and see if Cam, Hurter and Hunter can replace that production.

If the free agent class was better I'd agree but I'd still rather have John Collins to trade later than like Evan Fournier

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I feel like that SGA thing has been posted like three times. It was like one of six fake trades in a garbage filler article, relax

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd just seen it, my bad!

What's the story with this Sengun guy?

No worries, I should also relax

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Between "Nikola Jovic" and this guy I'm convinced we're living in a 2K simulated draft

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1413900928793649156?s=20

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

At this point I actually believe the Wizards will never, ever trade Beal

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

What would the advantage be for that? Other teams might be more likely to make an offer if they figure he's what they need, but if none do make a sizable offer, it just insults him for no reason. It's essentially telling their player to gently caress off, but in a really passive aggressive way.

The exact quote is:

quote:

New Orleans is unlikely to match a significant offer sheet on Ball, sources said.

Sounds more like it's from the agent than the team.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/AmNotEvan/status/1414960205746540545?s=19

okay I don't mind trading Sexton but this cannot possibly be the package lol Obi Toppin is a year older and was terrible last year and Kevin Knox barely qualifies as a NBA player.

I'm not putting all my faith in fan blog reporting but two young second draft guys and a first seems like around what Sexton's worth. It's not like they'd want to trade him for a vet

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

The two young guys are awful and their best pick is 19

And Sexton is a guy on his rookie deal they're still trying to dump

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

Sexton is flawed and doesn't fit their roster very well but he is a good player. Kevin Knox should be playing in China

Yeah, but there's still a lot working against Cleveland. Sexton's not really a franchise cornerstone type, so the list of teams that would be willing to center their offense around him and would also want to pay him in a year is pretty short.

Some contender could maybe trade for him with the idea of turning him into a super sixth man, but the return there is probably going to be worse

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Spacebump posted:

He'd make a great Mav via the Porzingis/Allen trade.

By all accounts they're extending Allen this summer

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I don't totally trust rookie numbers under Thibs

Edit: I'm forgetting about Quickley and, going back, Rose. Maybe he just stinks

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Calidus posted:

My new favorite fantasy trade is Ingram to the Warriors. I want see what Ingram can do when he surrounded by elite guards. The Wiggins contract is half over.

Why do people think New Orleans is ready to tank again

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I know it's probably dumb structurally but I honestly wouldn't mind the Hornets making a run at Lonzo. It's already LaMelo's team so may as well turn it into a fiefdom

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hollinger’s top 20 free agents using hand-wavey formulas:

1. Kawhi
2. Paul
3. Collins
4. Lowry
5. Conley
6. Duncan Robinson
7. Lonzo Ball
8. Danny Green
9. Devonte Graham
10. Richaun
11. Jarrett Allen
12. DeMar
13. Drummond
14. Bruce Brown
15. Olynyk
16. Fournier
17. Norm
18. Dinwiddie
19. Hardaway Jr
20. Theis

Falls off pretty hard after Lonzo but he still projects Graham/Holmes to get around $19M a year

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Allen is higher than Drummond tho

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/hpbasketball/status/1416531317433323521?s=21

“Multiple league sources indicated this week that the Jazz were open to trade discussions. The consensus is that Derrick Favors is not only available, but Utah is eager to move him to clear his roughly $20 million in remaining salary (including a $10 million player option for 2022-23).”

If Charlotte ends up drafting a center I’d be down for them absorbing Favors’ deal

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

i find it impossible to believe anyone has any idea what karnisovas and eversley are up to

Yeah, the article also points out other sources say the just want to run it back

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Charlotte mostly just needs a nominal starter that can finish, rebound, and won’t block PJ center minutes or a rookie. If they can’t land Richaun the next-best FAs are like Theis and Nerlens, Favors isn’t that much worse

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

People really seemed to like Nored in Charlotte, won’t be shocked if he’s getting looks for head coach in a few years

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Would Charlotte trading No. 11 for the Knicks' 19 and 21 be terrible value or is that about right? Only similar trade I remember is the Bulls trading 16 + 19 for the 11th pick to grab McDermott.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 20, 2021

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Who does NYK go after at 11?

There's some talk they're trying to move up in the draft to have a better pick to dangle for Sexton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

I don't think there's a huge difference between 11 and 19, but I also have a lot of guys I like a lot getting mocked in the 20s right now so probably depends on your board. Especially if the Hornets really want to come out of the draft with a center since you can probably get Jackson (who played at Spire with LaMelo) with one of those.

That was kind of my thinking. You take the chance that one of Jackson or Kai is there at 19 and pick up some extra depth. If that goes south you've still got FA and trades to fill that spot.

With how few players NYK has on the roster though I'm guessing the extra pick would have more value to them