Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1403098093839654917?s=19

Howard currently has two sons on the team so not terribly surprising. I do think if he keeps winning he will probably wind up in the NBA eventually but maybe that's wishful thinking.

So far Hardaway's biggest strength as a coach has been recruiting so that's a really weird name

If Howard keeps winning, those job offers will be there indefinitely. At some point, the NBA will stop doing this kind of recruitment, but he could start it up anytime with a few phone calls. I'd bet he tries his hand at the NBA at some point, but it might be a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is going to be a very underwhelming summer for straight free agency. I think something crazy will happen because it always seems to be when no deals are straightforwardly possible. Hartenstein has a future.

I think what we're settling into now is going to be closer to the new normal than anything.

Between the way the CBA constructs rookie contracts and how teams can resign players coming off one for that extra year, and how superstars are actually able to engineer their own "superteams", free agency for most teams is gonna be about low end starters, aging veterans looking for a last payday, and value rotation players.

Not that there won't be impactful FA signings, just that the current system encourages young stars to stay put and encourages the creation of "3 max and everyone else on minimum/MLE/rookie contracts" teams. That isn't conducive to a vibrant free agent market.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Metapod posted:

Next week we get to see if the rockets lose their pick 🥰

Same for the Timberwolves. I'm on pins and needles, since it'll have a big effect on next season, even if they end up trading the pick. Losing it will hurt pretty bad.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lockback posted:

Eh. It'd be nice to move past. They weren't quite as bad as their record this year. I'm more interested in how they shape their roster moving forward.

Yeah, I'm more thinking that a top pick would be useful as a trade chip to bring in someone who could fit with the core and not need 3+ years to figure out if they're an NBA starter or not. The last thing they need right now is yet another player not old enough to legally drink.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, they've basically bet the farm that Russell and Towns can be the core of a winning team, and the jury's still out on that. Though Anthony Edwards emerging into a true star (which isn't a guarantee) would give them a core that, at least on paper, is well positioned to compete for years.

And right now, it's more about being well positioned to truly compete in 2 years, with next year being a ramp into that.

Beyond the top 3, Beasley looks like a steal on his current contract, assuming he stays out of jail. It wouldn't surprise me if they move him, unless Finch thinks that there's some possibility of having him and Edwards starting side by side, but honestly, I just don't see it. Him plus the pick (and another prospect of necessary) is an interesting trade for a true SF or PF.

Rubio will have value simply because of his expiring contract, there's always a team that'll need to rent a backup PG for a year. I love Ricky but this team doesn't need yet another player that can't shoot.

Who knows what comes back for either of them, but it's possible that Rosas puts together the right pieces and they can win. Just holy poo poo find a long term PF.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rick posted:

If the 'wolves can win the MIles Turner sweepstakes they should, that would fix a lot of problems.

I want this to happen so goddamn bad

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I would hope that they wouldn't do that and that it would be Turner for Malik Beasley and anyone else on the roster they want not names Towns, Russell, or Edwards. Give them Jaden McDaniels as a prospect and toss in a 2nd round pick to make it look nice if you have to.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, that's a decision that just screams internal drama, but everyone involved was professional enough that it didn't leak out.

The only other plausible explanation is some kind of serious health crisis with SVG that he's not wanting public.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah I’m fairly certain if you do the same for other perpetually decent teams like SA or Boston it’s going to be a lot less obscure
Those trades moreso than none of the late picks panning out is really damning.

I get that they kept doing the whole "one more year" thing with Dirk but that's a whole lotta chances to find a good player on a cheap contract that they gave up for way less value.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lockback posted:

The "Attemping to diagnose a person playing sports with a mental disease" thing is getting kinda gross

Yeah, like the best thing to say is that he's got a bad case of the yips, which is both not something in the DSM and also an objectively real and well defined thing that happens to professional athletes from time to time.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Don't gotta play defense when you score 150 every game

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's a gamble, but worse guys are gonna get the MLE this year, so I'm not sure it's a bad gamble.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

lol the pacers wanted to trade for Ben Simmons when they have 2 centers on the roster already.

Aren't they actively shopping literally everyone on that roster though?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

In terms of winning now, they'd be far better off with Brogdon than that trade. I love Wiggins, but Philly seems like a bad fit.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

indigi posted:

why do centimillionaires have to room together in Las Vegas

buddy system so it's harder to do anything really stupid

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

If they were an older team that was gonna tear down in a year or two when their championship window closes, there'd be a certain logic to giving him the max, even if it is overpaying. But with their roster as it is now, it feels like giving him that deal means that they're gonna end up being worse in the future when they can't give it to someone who will actually play up to that contract.

Letting someone walk because another team is gonna overpay them is one of the things that good organizations do that bad organizations cannot.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Well, my heart just lept up into my throat for a second there. Good to hear it's just a sprain though...

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lockback posted:

Sam Mitchell did a great job developing guys, just doing so at the expense of wins. He's a good example of how that works sometimes, players were put in position where they could learn to do things and it cost Ws. As an assistant I guess he may have done a decent job in Memphis I guess?

He's also a really nice, cool guy and gives very informative interviews.

He got a raw deal in Minnesota, good to see he might get another chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

morestuff posted:

Would Charlotte trading No. 11 for the Knicks' 19 and 21 be terrible value or is that about right? Only similar trade I remember is the Bulls trading 16 + 19 for the 11th pick to grab McDermott.
I don't think you can evaluate just pure numbers like that, since each draft is gonna have different breaks where talent drops off. That said, for this draft that seems like a bad value for Charlotte.

To actually put names on this, would you give up either Alperen Sengun or Josh Giddey for both Ziaire Williams and Cameron Thomas? Not saying that is the exact scenario that would play out, but it's representative of the actual choice they're making.

That seems like a bad tradeoff to me, even with the lottery ticket nature of the draft. Now, they're in a position where they're going to be able to play a lot young guys a lot of minutes, so maybe taking two pulls at the slot machine at worse odds is better than one, but I see a lot of value being available at the 11 spot that wouldn't normally be there in other years. If I'm Charlotte, I don't make that trade.