Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

blue reflection ray is a magical girl drama about girls who've been through some very real problems getting together to work out their issues and swing cool crystal swords around (mostly at each other). the shading is kind of wack and an obscure local law requires each episode's script to use the word "feelings" at least twenty times, but the show is nevertheless the anime of the season and a worthy watch. like fellow urban-supernatural dramas madoka magica, selector infected wixoss, and wonder egg priority before it got bad, it uses its fantastic elements to bring out the characters' struggles, not overshadow them, and the result is shaping up to be something truly special.

(show's also loosely related to one-half-A JRPG blue reflection no subtitle but i haven't felt lost at all despite not having played it, read a synopsis, or leafed through the official prima strategy guide, so you should be safe to jump right in without pausing to build up social links for 40 hours)

FEATURING:

a bookworm

an anime protagonist

a hypocrite

an incredibly gaudy phone

a cyberbully

an apprentice electrician

a girl who looks like she's choking the protagonist in the ED but then the camera pans up and she's actually hugging her instead

the nap master

:siren: NO :siren: monsters of the week except for one in a flashback that plays every other episode :twisted:

watch now and get a FREE MOOD RING. don't, and the GAY MARRIAGE WAVES will tear you apart. the choice is yours......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this show rules

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

this show rules
its epic. please watch blue reflection! please talk about blue reflection!! i made this thread in the hopes that maybe more than three people would watch and talk about blue reflection!!!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am behind on watching Blue Reflection, but it is on my list because I liked the first 3 episodes.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I enjoy this show a lot.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I haven't dived into an anime like this in awhile, though they are typically my jam, so on the recommendation of ~anime of the season~ I'm gonna check this one out!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in order to start some actual discussion: with this being confirmed for two cours i do wonder if, say, the first cour will deal with the human antagonists while the second cour will actually have non-human enemies.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’d prefer it if they stuck with human villains. It makes the fights seem more meaningful when it’s two characters with their own motivations fighting instead of humans vs some creatures that are just attacking because they're evil. That kinda thing is fine in a video game where you have to have a lot of routine fights to serve as gameplay, but not so much in a non-interactive medium, which is why most RPG adaptations tend to suck. I'm glad that in this case they chose to completely reinvent the story for the anime and just use a similar premise.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 1, 2021

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Humans are the real monster of the week.

Ray has so little to do with the original game that it's not even obvious to me when they take place relative to each other. I assumed Ray was a prequel at first, because I thought its name was "Blue Reflection Zero", but then I realised it's a different "rei" and it's referring to something else. It might still be a prequel as well, which would make that a pun on about five different levels.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I let this show slide for a while after episode 3, but I've returned to it after hearing it discussed in the thread and it does seem to have improved. I think it just took a bit too long to get Ruka involved properly.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

this show rules

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

in order to start some actual discussion: with this being confirmed for two cours i do wonder if, say, the first cour will deal with the human antagonists while the second cour will actually have non-human enemies.
longshot guess: the second season will have the girls who've had their feelings stolen turn into monsters/nega-magical-girls who need to be defeated and reunited with their hearts. I think I'd prefer something like that -- anything where the monsters are human-ish and exist as characters -- to more giant space knights like the one in ep1

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

This show is really good and I think it suffers from people not watching because they either assume it is a direct adaptation of the game or requires knowledge of the game's plot which so far is not the case.

Elephant Parade posted:

longshot guess: the second season will have the girls who've had their feelings stolen turn into monsters/nega-magical-girls who need to be defeated and reunited with their hearts. I think I'd prefer something like that -- anything where the monsters are human-ish and exist as characters -- to more giant space knights like the one in ep1

It looks like the nap master is potentially turning into a monster who may need fighting later on in the season or second cour.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

This show is really good and I think it suffers from people not watching because they either assume it is a direct adaptation of the game or requires knowledge of the game's plot which so far is not the case.

they did a really poor job explaining what it was, im pretty sure for the first like five weeks wikipedia called it an adaptation.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

FractalSandwich posted:

Ray has so little to do with the original game that it's not even obvious to me when they take place relative to each other. I assumed Ray was a prequel at first, because I thought its name was "Blue Reflection Zero", but then I realised it's a different "rei" and it's referring to something else. It might still be a prequel as well, which would make that a pun on about five different levels.

I feel like it's being intentionally ambiguous on that part, given that (Blue Reflection ending spoilers) Yuzu and Lime are still around, which they shouldn't be if the events of the original game happened.

And honestly, I'm not sure it's as disconnected as it seems, given that the Sephiroth are hanging around, and that Mio and co. are trying to gain access to the Common. Even outside of the direct links, it's still very much playing on the same themes as the game, just handling them in a significantly different manner, and with more serious, far-reaching issues.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

I feel like it's being intentionally ambiguous on that part, given that (Blue Reflection ending spoilers) Yuzu and Lime are still around, which they shouldn't be if the events of the original game happened.

And honestly, I'm not sure it's as disconnected as it seems, given that the Sephiroth are hanging around, and that Mio and co. are trying to gain access to the Common. Even outside of the direct links, it's still very much playing on the same themes as the game, just handling them in a significantly different manner, and with more serious, far-reaching issues.
It could be that the connections are there, but I'm not remembering the game clearly enough to catch them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nothing like getting stabbed in the leg to make you feel alive.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jesus, episode 6 just piles it on huh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

Jesus, episode 6 just piles it on huh.

yeah, its great

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

poo reflection

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Would-be Kabbalists take note: "Sephirot" is supposed to be the plural and "Sephira" the singular. I daresay someone's been bamboozled by the "-a" ending sounding so much like a Latinate plural. Classic rookie mistake.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

idk why the subs melted for a minute halfway through the ep, but it was pretty cool otherwise, if a little loredump-y! opening the episode with "The First Day" like the episode is going to cover all three, continuing the pattern with "The Second Day" partway through, and then putting up the "The Third Day" slide as the ep ends is pure malice on the director's part

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
They sneakily replaced the very last shot of the end credits, too. Instead of the usual, it shows Hiori reading a letter from Mio.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Episode 11 was really strong, I liked it a lot. Also nice of them to finally explain the Common for folk who haven't played the game. I liked how they directly referenced the dungeon designs from the game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
I like how the villain girl is pretty much like "feelings this feelings that, did you all ever think to consider MY feelings?!"