Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I use the epic store to leech free games and had a 10€ off coupon which was about to expire, I almost never buy anything there but I saw Chivalry 2 literally just released as an exclusive and looked much better than the first gameplay shown, so ... I'm out 25€. Well played epic, well played :argh:

Mordhau was very fun for a while, got in at the start and I loved that feeling starting out and for some months still when you got evenly matched duels but the skill ceiling quickly went too high for me and I got roflstomped repeatedly which was somehow less fun than getting roflstomped in chiv. It always seemed like the objectives mode was tacked on too, or better decent in itself but not really meshing with the combat system (which in a vacuum is awesome compared to chiv1 but imo didn't deal too well with 1vsX or even XvsX for sufficiently large Xs) and nobody really bothered "playing" it the intended way

Add the glacial pace between updates and horrible toxic community and they lost me... Actually I logged in a few days ago and saw a lot of changes but I honestly doubt it could pull me back in.

Well now I can get clowned upon in a brand new game, there's that. I hope chiv 2 stays newbie friendly for a longer time :v: I came to chiv1 towards the tail end of its popularity so past the newbie servers life wasn't easy with all the crazy animation abuse, but still it was good fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wow do I suck at this kind of game. But I still enjoy them profoundly. Chiv 2 is what I wish Mordhau would have been, except the latter has better graphics but it doesn't really matter that much - ok the combat is more fluid and maybe realistic? in Mordhau, but sometimes - for me, most times - you just want to yell bloody murder and smash someone in the face with a morningstar, and Chiv 2 seems a LOT more newbie/casual friendly.

One thing I wish they could nail is making a proper matchmaking, it's so good when you're fighting people around your same level of skill (or more skilled but without the "haha I'll kill you in a second and say EZ" mindset, it can be fun getting schooled properly, I must try duel servers) that it's a pity when you're put in a server where everyone is so much better than you. It's early days so of course we'll have to see how it shakes out but I don't think there's any plan for a ranked mode or ELO-like matchmaking? The basics seem to be there, with all those stats the game counts like damage dealt/taken, assists, kills, etc...

My biggest problem is that I can do quite well in 1vs1 but get absolutely screwed in XvsX because I'm playing poleman and teammates run in front of my mega reach halberd swings/overheads :argh: and can't quite keep track of my position at all times when I'm trying to hit enemies and avoid mauling teammates so I get surrounded or jumped from behind, any tips on how to improve battlefield awareness without using 3rd person mode?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Got my first commendation today :neckbeard: I got in a 1vs3 and killed 2 whirling like a tornado and swinging my halberd like a madman. Not sure how much of what I did was deliberate, but hey I will take it :v:

Chiv2 seems to be much easier to get into and do well than mordhau for some reason. I guess the held parry helps and the ability to not abuse it due to coming from there does help too, plus it is much more fun for some reason. Team objective or whatever it's called seems to work much better, unsurprisingly. Having TONS of fun trying the various weapons, they are different but not so much to have a huge learning curve and you can be effective from the start :black101:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nordick posted:

Really helpful of the matchmaker in a TDM battle to shore up the weaker team with a herd of bots, so that the stronger team can slaughter them by the dozens and win even faster

Yeah after a while I realized all those easy kills weren't noobs but bots and I felt a bit cheated :smith: I hope user base goes up so we can get full lobbies, I blame epic exclusivity

Still fun. What do you guys think of 64 player vs 40 player ?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phobeste posted:

Really there's only two downsides of duels: 1. when you get owned it's just because you get owned there's nothing else to blame 2. the flourish is stupid (because I can't do it. how do you do the flourish)

defaults to middle mouse button click. So many times I flourished instead of doing an overhead or stab .......

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am not good at this game by any stretch of the imagination, but violence is so fun. Slashing people to pieces with the war axe is blissful.

On that note, I am bad because I mostly behave like a total noob (can't play much and I still need to get timings, footwork etc down - I also never seem to understand which one of the 4 greatswords flying at my noggin will hit first) waving my big axe around but I can hold my own in 1 vs 1, so I really like when I spot some tryhard doing dodges and moves coming at me expecting an easy kill and engage him in a full minute long duel. I usually end up losing anyway, but you can see they're pissed off you're slowing them down :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 22, 2021

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Are there any recommended videos/streamers that teach people how not to suck with real-life examples and gameplay clips? I remember learning a lot more from watching videos than from actually bumbling around aimlessly on the battlefield when I played Mordhau.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Clanpot Shake posted:

This is a good primer for the game's mechanics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8xyV7VUv8Q

Thanks this was useful :)

cerebral posted:

I like these two. They're very helpful in explaining what they are doing and what they are thinking, and will happily answer your questions in chat. I've learned a bunch from both of them, like every swing has forward momentum and pushes you forward a little bit. When you crouch, you don't get moved forward, so swinging and ducking is a great way to maintain your distance and not get sucked in to closer range than is ideal for your weapon.

https://twitch.tv/stripedsweaterlive

https://twitch.tv/godkingttv

And from these, it seems that I always get servers with a much higher skill general population, might be because I am in EU and player base is smaller?

Dunno, still having fun even if I am always in the bottom half of the table. I just hate archers. I don't play fps games exactly because I hate getting shot from someone I never even noticed: I don't mind if someone outmaneuvered me in melee range, that's on me, but getting shot from a mile away with no chance for retaliation suuucks, especially if you were fighting someone else. Can't we have a pure melee slasher for once? :argh:

I think I would tolerate it better if teammates actually used teamwork - the rare times it happens it's exhilarating and generally when I rack up the most kills/takedowns/points

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Statutory Ape posted:

If you can use the server browser (are on PC) the duel servers are a pretty good way to pick up some mechanics

You will eat a ton of poo poo though in the process, god drat

I did that and it was plenty of fun! Though the good players in duel servers are something else, I barely last for 1 block against them. And after a while I get bored, I crave the madness that is 64-player team objective :black101:

Today I had a really good team in one match, I think they recognized I was a liability so a couple guys always stood next to me and interrupted people from stabbing me or distracted them so I could sneak a hit and dodge back, lasting a lot more and racking up more takedowns (they got most of the kills). Just having one person at your side and attacking enemies in turn, alternating stepping back and forward between the two of you makes a huge difference!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

well it seems I played 22 hours (not much I know but work, family and other stuff has precedence), but being bad at the game it seems it takes FOREVER to level up classes / weapons. I don't care too much about cosmetics, but I would REALLY like to unlock as many different weapons and subclasses as possible. I think I'm at Knight 8 -Footman 9 - Vanguard 4 - Archer 2 or something like that.

What's the fastest way to make more XP without having to git gud which will take a LONG time yet?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phobeste posted:

But it's also worth noting that heavy attacks do cleave, it's just the light attacks that stop

Wait what

Does that work for all blunt weapons? Because that's a game changer if I ever heard one, especially if you can heavy counter or heavy riposte. The polehammer is already one of my favorite weapons despite the fact I always had trouble with groups, but if I can powerswing through multiple people then :getin:

cerebral posted:

The lack of cleave on light hits is an advantage because the hit bonks off the target and resets for the next swing quicker than a cleaving weapon that has to go through the target before resetting.

Yeah the quick blunt weapons are just bonk-bonk-bonk oh someone died. I love the morningstar despite the horrible range, and I am so close to unlocking the mace :black101:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 4, 2021

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Schneider Inside Her posted:

The short spear is so hard to play against. I just can't do anything against the stab spam. I'll be glad to see the back of it. At least with archers you get the satisfaction of running them down and murdering them

it pisses me off greatly that most times, archers are also very good at melee - when I manage to reach them, they just whip out a secondary and kick my rear end. Guys if you're good with swords GO STICK ENEMIES WITH THEM instead of plinking away to get the most kills, drat it :argh:

incidentally I want to unlock the crossbowman but longbow archery bores me, would it be feasible to just toss the bow when spawning and grab a decent weapon off the ground, or the lower health means I'd just be dying instantly? (I still haven't figured how not to get hit :dumb: )

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

have you seen my baby posted:

counter combos are the new hotness

after you land a hit you can immediately block, which means you can immediately counter. this resets your animation and is much faster than a regular combo. here's the dane axe overhead demonstrated on the ground

https://i.imgur.com/dr54r9P.mp4

Holy poo poo that's why I noticed people recovering impossibly fast then stabbing me in the face before I can get a hit in :argh:

Nevermind the fact that Torn Banner advertised to the entire world that the 1h spear is broken, told they're removing it in a patch, then never put out said patch... so usually half the server is guys with 1h spears :argh:

That said, yesterday I finally had a moment where I played well and trounced 10 people before getting murdered. It's absolutely exhilarating and I resent the fact I don't have enough hours to play to get to that level consistently and fast enough

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yeah to be honest I keep playing because I don't play much, if I played 8h/day like some sperglords do I would be bored already too.

Though, 8hrs of morningstar overheads? Sure! Thwack thwack thwack

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

if this actually makes all the no life no fun sperglords abandon the game because the party issues (which are by far the most-lamented ones) mean they can't dunk on newbies togheter with their just-as-horrible friends, I'd consider it a win

I want to play with fun people, and sperglords are the opposite of fun most of the time

E: patch out in about 2 hours!

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Statutory Ape posted:

Ah yes those other people, the sperglords that want a functioning product so they can play with their social group while you can go queue alone and die alone

Those other guys sure are weird yes

I also hope they don't fix it, mainly because I am equally ok playing this game or watching it poo poo itself into DOA status like I predicted it would

No, no, I really actually meant the no life no fun sperglords. I am sorry if anyone feels attacked, but seeing what some people write in chat (yeah that's kinda on me for not disabling chat immediately and forever, but at times it's useful or funny) makes it abundantly clear what I am talking about :) and I hate them :argh:

There is no doubt that they have to step up the patching if the game is to survive, though, and not just fixes but new content. They promised it, let's see if they deliver.

It's not like I am going back to mordhau or chiv1 if I want to play a melee slasher, anyways :v: