Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Full Bore is an impressively clever puzzle-platformer (very little reflexes required, far more puzzle than platform); moderately narrative. Maybe closer to the Boulderdash/Repton genre than regular platform. Does a lot of clever things with few mechanics and very simple controls.

Beret is a free puzzle-platformer; it does involve reflexes but it has a quite forgiving time-save-and-reload interface that makes it so even difficult jumping is easy, and the real challenge is the puzzles. Use your character's telekinetic powers to move blocks in a way that lets you get from place to place.

LogiGun. I just spent like 20 minutes trying to find the name of this fucker because I really wanted to recommend it but the name is completely unmemorable and searches for things that I could remember about the game just kept turning up Trine which is hardly a puzzle game at all gently caress you Google. I ended up scrolling through my "finished games" list on Steam as the only way I could find it, there are 519 games there so it was not a good method, but it worked. Anyway, this is a great puzzler if you don't have the attention span to want to keep iterating on a small number of mechanics, it introduces new mechanisms a lot, while still exploring them a reasonable amount. Every new mechanism has a short 'intro' period where you're forced down a narrow path that makes you learn how the new thing works, before it gets integrated into the puzzle-solving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
The Swapper was pretty good, but I got more enjoyment from Stealth Inc 2.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I feel ignored. :(
(The efforty Full Bore + Logigun post; I don't care about Stealth Inc.)

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 6, 2021

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Ludoku is surprisingly good. Many short puzzles in the same theme. It's like a cross between the Sudoku/Picross genre and the Ricochet Robots/Chips Challenge Ice Sliding Puzzle genre. You're moving one thing, numbers at the sides or special squares influence what moves are available, you're supposed to find the shortest path that reaches the level goal. The difficulty progression is very nice, hard enough to be challenging and feel a sense of achievement on solving it, but not so hard that you get stuck forever.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I didn't even get to a tower in Steven's Sausage Roll, I got stuck at a level that was only like 4x8 or something and realized I was not enjoying the experience.

If you like Steven's Sausage Roll you might like Pipe Push Paradise, which has similar mechanics and is less ugly, IMO. (I did not like it nearly as much as I did not like Steven's Sausage Roll, because apparently I just do not enjoy Sokoban with an extra half-dimension.)

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

Pipe Push Paradise and A Monster's Exhibition both have much better designed and communicated learning curves than SSR, in my opinion; I'd recommend either of them over it if you're looking for "sokoban with a twist".
The big difference for me was that with Pipe Push Paradise when I got stuck I felt like it was my fault for not being able to see the way forward, and that if I had felt like persevering I would probably have got past it and enjoyed a few more levels.

When I got stuck with Steven's Sausage Roll it felt more like the puzzle was just poo poo, and if I got past it the next puzzle would also be poo poo.

Which isn't to say they *are* bad puzzles, clearly some people enjoyed it. It's more "if you tried Steven's Sausage Roll and you're not enjoying it, don't keep trying, it doesn't get better, try something else."

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

fez_machine posted:

??? You didn't get up to the tower, how do you know it doesn't get better?

I mean it doesn't get better in the sense that there's no point where it stops getting harder but the puzzles are always well designed and reveal new surprises as you get more accomplished, confident, and develop better schemas to approach them with.
That's the opposite of how it felt to me. Every puzzle I got to was the exact same uninteresting mechanic just expanding into larger areas, and I didn't feel like anything was learned from each puzzle at all. Like with Sokoban in the early stages you learn "don't let a block into a corner" then "don't let a block against a wall" then "well, you can let a block against a wall if there's a way to get it past the end of the wall and get behind it again" and so forth.

With sausage roll I learned "the annoying rolling mechanic where you can't easily see the total state of things" and a bunch of things you literally *can't* do but would like to, in like the second puzzle, then ten puzzles later I hadn't learned anything else, it was just "keep doing the same poo poo pretty much by trial and error". Do I remember right that there's also no 'undo'? So if you make a mistake you have to remember everything you did so far to get back to the same point? That's my least favorite antifeature of a puzzle game.

vvvv Fair enough, maybe I just didn't find the button for it, or am misremembering. I remember being annoyed by having to start again after a sausage burns.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 9, 2021

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Hm, does Deadly Rooms of Death count as a puzzle game? I think so.

I preferred Wonderquest, in the same vein, which is now hard to find - there's a download link hidden somewhere deep in the bowels of the caravel.net forums. It was like Deadly Rooms of Death with more variety in the mechanics rather than fully exploring every mechanic in depth.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Just played Tales Of The Neon Sea, which is mostly like a point and click adventure but with arrow keys and highlighting when you can interact with things rather than pointing and clicking, but it also has occasional puzzles in it like those hidden object mystery games do. I was surprised and impressed that some of the puzzles were original, or at least uncommon. For example, I hadn't previously seen a sliding block puzzle where instead of sliding/swapping/rotating the blocks you can only rotate blocks of four of them, making it tricky to get each tile the right way up *and* in the right place. It also has a couple of Ricochet Robots puzzles (like the classic sliding ice block puzzle, but with more than one thing you control).

Nothing super difficult, but also not trivially easy like puzzle-in-a-mystery-game puzzles tend to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Just tried Tick Tock: A Tale For Two with my wife since it was cheap and thread-recommended-ish. Not very keen on it. We got stuck and had to ask the internet at the bells puzzle that's not really a puzzle at all, more of a "you saw a block of text with number-words in it vaguely near to other words that are vaguely related to the text near these 6 bells, with one single word actually in common and no sort of clue that it has anything to do with bells or codes". Which would be okay if it was the only thing you had to interact with at that time, or everything else had been used already, but at the same time I had a sequence going 33363663 which looks *far more* like a sequence you would play out on 6 bells than "in 5 years I'll be waiting for you at the dining table" apparently meaning "you should ring the bell labelled dining hall 5 times".

I played one of those escape-room-games-in-a-deck-of-cards ("Unlock! The Island of Doctor Goorse") that did the player separation, tell each other parts of clues you need gimmick much better than this, and it really should be easier to do it well with a computer. It doesn't even work thematically in Tick Tock, there's no explanation of why you can communicate clues to the other player who is representing a different person in a different time-place, and most of the time no apparent reason why you should. (Reading out the long block of apparently irrelevant text to my wife more than once just in case it "rings a bell", haha, seems more annoying than anything.)

If anyone else decides to try it with a local partner though, a tip that might be of use - if only one of you does Steam things, you can install Steam on the second computer with your account, install the game, and put it in offline mode, then your partner can also play on your account without Steam getting mad about it. (i.e. you can play two players and only buy one copy of the game.)

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 4, 2021