Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ectoplasm
Apr 13, 2012

MaDMaN posted:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Any one use Book Digits instead of Goodreads? A buddy of mine made it and I find it to have a much better recommendation engine.

"At BookDigits, we want to change the way you read and help you find your next favorite book. Our innovative rating system is unlike anything else on the web. To learn more, visit our tutorial.
Thanks for being a BookDigits member! Make sure to stop by your profile page to find your next reading challenge. And don't forget to try out the new Find Me a Book recommendation tool."

I'm also looking for alternatives to Goodreads. I like BookDigits but I'm always on the lookout for others.

Much love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ectoplasm
Apr 13, 2012

MaDMaN posted:

I'm taking that as a no. No one uses anything other than GoodReads?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The idea seems solid but like most internet endeavors it's not the idea that carries so much weight as the userbase.

And humans tend to congregate where humans have congregated.

If it's any consolation, I don't actively use GoodReads either, though sometimes it comes up in search results.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

i asked their recommendation for something 'literary' with no preference for time period(their tagging and categorisation systems seem to be really stupid) and it gave me the silmarillion, meanwhile goodreads will give me insane literary crapola that's only been published in romanian just based on what i've already read. seems like some fail to me

ectoplasm
Apr 13, 2012

MaDMaN posted:

A human heart posted:

i asked their recommendation for something 'literary' with no preference for time period(their tagging and categorisation systems seem to be really stupid) and it gave me the silmarillion, meanwhile goodreads will give me insane literary crapola that's only been published in romanian just based on what i've already read. seems like some fail to me

How is their tagging and categorization stupid? Goodreads has always recommended me garbage.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

asking me to specify if i want to read something 'entertaining' as opposed to something 'serious and literary' is a silly dichotomy to begin with, but then they also gave me a list of tags that i might be interested in and half of it was trivia like 'Cats', 'School', 'Mental Illness' as if anyone picks a book to read based solely on whether it has a cat in it. the goodreads algorithms aren't particularly good but you can get them to recommend you things based on lists of books you make, and they'll tend to give you stuff that other people who read those books have also read, which means that you do tend to get vaguely relevant things you might not have heard of popping up. meanwhile this site recommended an author that everyone's heard of anyways that i don't want to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ectoplasm
Apr 13, 2012

MaDMaN posted:

A human heart posted:

asking me to specify if i want to read something 'entertaining' as opposed to something 'serious and literary' is a silly dichotomy to begin with, but then they also gave me a list of tags that i might be interested in and half of it was trivia like 'Cats', 'School', 'Mental Illness' as if anyone picks a book to read based solely on whether it has a cat in it. the goodreads algorithms aren't particularly good but you can get them to recommend you things based on lists of books you make, and they'll tend to give you stuff that other people who read those books have also read, which means that you do tend to get vaguely relevant things you might not have heard of popping up. meanwhile this site recommended an author that everyone's heard of anyways that i don't want to read.

Well, surely it's not perfect. But recommending a well-known author seems like a good thing to start with. Anyway, thanks for taking a look. I think it's kind of entertaining but entirely useful. Just wanted to know if there were any GR alternatives I hadn't come across.