Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMG5g6MWmvA

Post your favorite Onion articles, Kelly cartoons, youtube videos and erotic self insert fanfiction here.

What is the Onion?

quote:

The Onion is an American satirical digital media company and newspaper organization that publishes articles on international, national, and local news. The company is based in Chicago but originated as a weekly print publication on August 29, 1988 in Madison, Wisconsin.[1] The Onion began publishing online in early 1996. In 2007, they began publishing satirical news audio and video online as the Onion News Network. In 2013, The Onion ceased publishing its print edition and launched Onion Labs, an advertising agency.[3][4]

The Onion's articles cover current events, both real and fictional, parodying the tone and format of traditional news organizations with stories, editorials, and man-on-the-street interviews using a traditional news website layout and an editorial voice modeled after that of the Associated Press. The publication's humor often depends on presenting mundane, everyday events as newsworthy, surreal, or alarming, such as "Rotation Of Earth Plunges Entire North American Continent Into Darkness".[5] In 1999, comedian Bob Odenkirk praised the publication as "the best comedy writing in the country".[6]

The Onion also runs The A.V. Club and formerly ran ClickHole. The A.V. Club was created in 1993 as a supplement to the parent publication. It is an entertainment and pop culture publication that contains interviews and reviews of newly released media and other weekly features. ClickHole is a satirical website founded in 2014 which parodies clickbait websites such as BuzzFeed and Upworthy.[7] ClickHole was acquired by Cards Against Humanity in February 2020.

Who Is Stan Kelly?

He's the onion's political cartoonist, with a very particular style. Often over labeled, confusing, oddly personal, and beloved by goons for over a decade at this point. (to my recollection i've been reading politoons for a long time and my brain has died)

Is it true the Onion is run by illuminati and is used to send coded messages to their agents, even able to predict the future?

https://www.theonion.com/after-obama-victory-shrieking-white-hot-sphere-of-pure-1819595330

yes

Links
https://www.theonion.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnion
https://twitter.com/kartoonistkelly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
The best article https://www.theonion.com/visiting-gore-calls-pennsylvania-a-hellhole-1819565690

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

i like they onion but they contributed to joe bidens image and thats bad

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

This one pissed off one of my uncles real good

https://www.theonion.com/62-year-old-with-gun-only-one-standing-between-nation-a-1819574418

62-Year-Old With Gun Only One Standing Between Nation And Full-Scale Government Takeover

quote:

NORFOLK, VA—According to numerous reports, local 62-year-old Earl Bailey, who owns a shotgun and several boxes of ammunition, is currently the last bastion of defense between the United States of America and the federal government’s plot of a full-scale takeover.

Bailey, a recent retiree and a proud advocate of gun rights, has been confirmed by multiple sources as being a true patriot, and is, at present, the only person capable of preventing top-secret forces within the government from striking and forcefully coercing hundreds of millions of Americans to submit to a fascist and brutal New World Order.

Since the early 1990s, sources estimated the gun owner has staved off innumerable large-scale government threats, all from the center of his 12-acre ranch.

“It is every American’s right to be good and armed, and that’s a right that should always be protected,” said Bailey, now the sole American protecting the nation from the government’s hidden plot of disarming all citizens, gradually gaining control of the mass media, and installing martial law throughout the nation’s streets. “Our Founding Fathers intended for each and every one of us to protect ourselves from tyranny. That’s what America is all about.”

“What happens when the feds show up at your front door and start telling you how much meat you can eat or how to raise your kids?” continued the lifetime NRA member, brandishing the very weapon that now serves as the final hope of staving off a totalitarian state. “Is that the future you want?”

Bailey, who keeps his gun on his person at all times and regularly patrols his property in his truck, has reportedly struck dread into the very highest-ranking members of the U.S. government. According to sources, top government and military officials are fully aware that they remain unable to commence with their oppressive, systematic subjugation of the American populace as long as the 62-year-old owner of a rifle exists.

Additional reports confirmed that Bailey’s frequent practice of shooting his gun at empty bean cans in his backyard has repeatedly forced government officials to reassess both their ground and air strategies for the impending takeover.

“The way I see it, the Second Amendment’s been keeping this nation free and secure for well over 200 years,” Bailey said, valiantly standing in front of his home that is constantly being monitored by CIA agents and elite Special Forces operatives, who are told to maintain a safe distance from the formidable 62-year-old. “First they’ll come for our guns and next…well, shoot, I don’t really plan on ever seeing what the hell happens next.”

While the federal government is more than adequately prepared to begin the first phase of its plan of convoying Second Amendment adherents to newly established FEMA concentration camps, high-level members of the Obama Administration involved in the widespread conspiracy confirmed that they have been forced to resort to alternate methods due solely to Bailey’s heroics.

“As long as there’s someone like Earl out there with a gun and ammunition, we are unable to carry out our attack on America,” said Maxwell Caufield, a covert military leader in charge of the operation to turn the country into an authoritarian, one-party state wherein the basic rights of citizens are stripped away in order to create total government control. “Try as we did to spread our distorted gun control propaganda—claiming that it would protect innocent people across the country from needless deaths—the man just wouldn’t bite. There is simply nothing we can do about Earl and his gun, drat him.”

“You’ve got to hand it to him, really,” Caufield added. “If it weren’t for Earl, you’d be looking at a totally different country.”

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

And this one ticked him off as well, post Benghazi, when he was posting on Facebook about how there was a "CIA Killteam" ready to be deployed and save Vilerat and the others, but Obama refused to call it in

Smart, Qualified People Behind The Scenes Keeping America Safe: ‘We Don't Exist’

https://www.theonion.com/smart-qualified-people-behind-the-scenes-keeping-ameri-1819571706

quote:

WASHINGTON—Members of the brilliant, highly trained, and dedicated team of elite professionals who work tirelessly behind the scenes to protect our nation and keep its citizens out of harm’s way announced Tuesday that they do not exist.

“I know most Americans like to believe there are selfless, ultra-intelligent operatives like me out there watching over everything from an underground control room,” said the Rhodes Scholar Navy SEAL national security official who for the past 10 years we have all mistakenly presumed to be an actual human being. “Unfortunately, though, I’m not employed by the U.S. government, I’m not working at all hours to foil terrorist plots, nor am I part of some secret network of sharp, capable agents, because no such network exists.”

“And again, neither do I,” the imaginary man added.

According to the utterly nonexistent super-geniuses who we’ve been telling ourselves are keeping our nation safe with their superior technology and lightning-fast decision-making abilities, there are currently no living people who resemble them at the Pentagon, CIA, FBI, DHS, TSA, or any other federal, state, or local law enforcement agency, and there never really have been at any point in American history.

Fictitious sources also confirmed that the so-called “masterminds” behind our country’s security and strategic defense are in fact people of moderate to reasonably above-average intelligence just like us who perform their jobs with more or less the same degree of competence and zeal as any regular person with a job would.

“Obviously, it would be very comforting, and pretty cool, if there were stealth groups of resourceful, naturally gifted secret agents like me scouring the planet, rooting out terrorist sleeper cells, and tracking down Osama bin Laden,” said a multilingual computer/ explosives/espionage expert who most Americans actually believe is a real guy out there. “I’m not denying that would be amazing; my only point is that it just isn’t true.”

“Believe me, I wish I existed, too,” the fake man added. “I would probably be great.”

Following the announcement, reporters learned that the all-seeing satellite cameras and invisible eyes that millions of Americans assume are diligently watching every square-inch of the country like a silent sentinel are either not up there at all, or are being monitored by a tired, modestly educated man reading Road & Track magazine in a tiny office.

And, despite the widely held belief in some sort of all-knowing superagency that secretly controls all the other intelligence branches from above, attempts by reporters to contact such an agency were unsuccessful, as there is no way this is actually a thing.

“Look, I understand your psychological need to invent someone like me so that you can stop worrying about imminent disasters and get some sleep at night,” said the hyper-articulate, Princeton-educated political-scientist jujitsu-master we’re all imagining. “But the reality is most of the smart, qualified people in this country are wasting away in assistant professorships at struggling public universities or making millions of dollars in some venture capital group. In fact, that’s exactly the kind of job I would have right now if I were a real person. Which I’m not.”

“But good luck with everything,” he added, or rather didn’t add, because he neither said anything nor even ever existed at all.

In response to the announcement, members of the actual team of government workers in charge of keeping our country safe each day sought to reassure the American people that the nation’s welfare is in good hands.

“Oh, yeah, don’t worry about it,” said the underpaid 28-year-old GED recipient who makes you take off your shoes and throw away your water bottle before you get on an airplane. “We got all kinds of crazy computers and poo poo to monitor things, so there’s no way anything can go wrong. We got you covered.”

gorgmatic
Apr 25, 2006

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't
ALLAH IS ALL MERCIFUL
I think about this article roughly once a month.

https://www.theonion.com/new-seaworld-show-just-elephant-drowning-in-large-tank-1819578125

New SeaWorld Show Just Elephant Drowning In Large Tank Of Water With No Explanation

quote:

Over the course of the half-hour show, the 12,000-pound animal reportedly grew increasingly panicked, making numerous futile attempts to scramble up and over the vertical sides of the enclosure. Sources said the clapping and whistling from the audience slowly tapered off as the exhausted elephant made gradually slower circuits of the tank’s perimeter in a desperate search of any possible exit point it could use to save itself.

“It tried to smash through the side of the tank with its tusks at one point, which is when I thought some dolphins or an orca might come swimming out of the gate and help push the elephant to safety, which would have been incredible—but nope,” said SeaWorld guest Erika Morganstern, 22, who suspected that the tank walls had been heavily reinforced, given the animal’s continuous, ultimately ineffectual efforts to throw its enormous bulk against the glass. “Eventually, the elephant started making these crazy sorts of gurgling, trumpeting noises that got quieter and quieter before they stopped completely.”

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://www.theonion.com/bush-regales-dinner-guests-with-impromptu-oratory-on-vi-1819567929

"Most primarily associate Publius Vergilius Maro with The Aeneid," Bush told guests. "Yet so much pleasure is to be found in his lesser-known works—The Eclogues, completed in 37 B.C., and The Georgics, in 30 B.C., both of which praise the idyllic rural life."

"You have to remember I'm a bit of a farm boy myself," chuckled Bush, referring to his 1,600-acre ranch in Crawford, TX.

"The Bucolics are my personal favorite," Bush said. "They were basically a thank-you to Asinius Pollio for preventing the seizure of Virgil's land by the Triumvirate when they ordered the lands on the far banks of the river Po distributed to veterans of the victory at Philippi. They are so sublime, so inspirational. But why should I speak, when Virgil can do so himself? And far more eloquently, I might add."

Bush then recited a selection from The Bucolics in the original Latin, pausing occasionally to translate into French out of respect for his friend Amélie du Maurier, a young Parisian concert violinist in attendance. Earlier in the evening, a blushing du Maurier admitted to Bush that she did not know Latin. Bush eased the young woman's embarrassment with a joke.

"I wouldn't be surprised if your father forbade you from learning Latin, out of sheer distaste for res publica," said Bush, alluding to du Maurier's ancestors' place in the ousted French aristocracy.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Man Hates How Pride Month Has Been Totally Co-Opted By LGBTQ Community

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Biden Concerned Ambitious Agenda Could Be Stalled By Him Not Really Caring If It Happens Or Not

WASHINGTON—Faced with obstacles to his policy proposals that threatened to derail their passage, President Joe Biden on Tuesday reportedly expressed his concern that his ambitious agenda could be stalled by him not really caring if it happens or not. “I came into office with a mandate to enact big, bold legislation that would improve the lives of everyday Americans, but we still face the significant obstacle of it not particularly mattering to me whether we ever actually do that,” said Biden, warning that campaign promises like eliminating student loan debt, passing large-scale infrastructure reform, and reducing income inequality don’t have a chance of happening if he can’t get himself on board.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

https://www.theonion.com/the-onion-endorses-legal-marijuana-1834080638 posted:

For years, critics have warned that marijuana is a slippery slope to more dangerous drugs and activities—they are correct, and that is exactly why it should be legalized. Ending the prohibition on cannabis will send a clear message that we are a society on the verge of collapse, and hopefully inspire the citizens of this nation to make the final push over the edge. The Onion’s editorial board dreams of a day when stabbing someone in the spinal column and eating them in the street is perfectly legal. We’ve been fighting since day one against restrictions on human freedom, and a world in which marijuana is legal is a world not far from legalizing assault or bestiality. We will break the stifling bonds of human morality once and for all.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://www.theonion.com/it-only-tuesday-1819569397

I think about this one once a week

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Point / Counterpoint: This War Will Destabilize The Entire Mideast Region And Set Off A Global Shockwave Of Anti-Americanism vs. No It Won’t
https://www.theonion.com/this-war-will-destabilize-the-entire-mideast-region-and-1819594296
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1212965578392195073

Nathan Eckert posted:

This War Will Destabilize The Entire Mideast Region And Set Off A Global Shockwave Of Anti-Americanism

George W. Bush may think that a war against Iraq is the solution to our problems, but the reality is, it will only serve to create far more.

This war will not put an end to anti-Americanism; it will fan the flames of hatred even higher. It will not end the threat of weapons of mass destruction; it will make possible their further proliferation. And it will not lay the groundwork for the flourishing of democracy throughout the Mideast; it will harden the resolve of Arab states to drive out all Western (i.e. U.S.) influence.

If you thought Osama bin Laden was bad, just wait until the countless children who become orphaned by U.S. bombs in the coming weeks are all grown up. Do you think they will forget what country dropped the bombs that killed their parents? In 10 or 15 years, we will look back fondly on the days when there were only a few thousand Middle Easterners dedicated to destroying the U.S. and willing to die for the fundamentalist cause. From this war, a million bin Ladens will bloom.

And what exactly is our endgame here? Do we really believe that we can install Gen. Tommy Franks as the ruler of Iraq? Is our arrogance and hubris so great that we actually believe that a U.S. provisional military regime will be welcomed with open arms by the Iraqi people? Democracy cannot possibly thrive under coercion. To take over a country and impose one’s own system of government without regard for the people of that country is the very antithesis of democracy. And it is doomed to fail.

A war against Iraq is not only morally wrong, it will be an unmitigated disaster.

Bob Sheffer posted:

No It Won’t

It just won’t. None of that will happen.

You’re getting worked up over nothing. Everything is going to be fine. So just relax, okay? You’re really overreacting.

“This war will not put an end to anti-Americanism; it will fan the flames of hatred even higher”?

It won’t.

“It will harden the resolve of Arab states to drive out all Western (i.e. U.S.) influence”?

Not really.

“A war against Iraq is not only morally wrong, it will be an unmitigated disaster”?

Sorry, no, I disagree.

“To take over a country and impose one’s own system of government without regard for the people of that country is the very antithesis of democracy”?

You are completely wrong.

Trust me, it’s all going to work out perfect. Nothing bad is going to happen. It’s all under control.

Why do you keep saying these things? I can tell when there’s trouble looming, and I really don’t sense that right now. We’re in control of this situation, and we know what we’re doing. So stop being so pessimistic.

Look, you’ve been proven wrong, so stop talking. You’ve had your say already. Be quiet, okay? Everything’s fine.

You’re wrong.

Takanago has issued a correction as of 07:53 on Jun 9, 2021

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1feEqgRZQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJkWS4t4l0k

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
https://youtu.be/NLMww8V4IUU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
The Onion's series on the now formerly Washington Redskins a few years ago was incredible

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1273644627317448704

Redskins’ Kike Owner Refuses To Change Team’s Offensive Name
https://www.theonion.com/redskins-kike-owner-refuses-to-change-team-s-offensive-1819575738

Washington Redskins Ease Tensions With Native Americans By Adding Bottle Of Booze To Logo
https://www.theonion.com/washington-redskins-ease-tensions-with-native-americans-1819575866

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2IYIJc1f00

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over' (The most prescient Onion article ever)
https://www.theonion.com/bush-our-long-national-nightmare-of-peace-and-prosperi-1819565882

Jurisprudence Fetishist Gets Off On Technicality
https://www.theonion.com/jurisprudence-fetishist-gets-off-on-technicality-1819586446

Excercise Ball All The Way Over There
https://www.theonion.com/excercise-ball-all-the-way-over-there-1819588811

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.theonion.com/supreme-court-rules-supreme-court-rules-1819564161

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

DMCrimson posted:

Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over' (The most prescient Onion article ever)
https://www.theonion.com/bush-our-long-national-nightmare-of-peace-and-prosperi-1819565882

:trumppop:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

https://www.theonion.com/the-onion-endorses-john-edwards-for-president-1819574074

https://www.theonion.com/clinton-declares-self-president-for-life-1819565819

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

"Our Dumb Century" the book has some historical zingers. It can be a fun way to find out who the cool older people are, versus those that don't grasp or appreciate satire.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

palindrome posted:

"Our Dumb Century" the book has some historical zingers. It can be a fun way to find out who the cool older people are, versus those that don't grasp or appreciate satire.

I remember this one the most fondly

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

They're a bit rare on the popular front-page scans, but one of my favorite running gags was the preponderance of cartoons (Kelly?) depicting lady liberty being attacked by various forces throughout the 20th century. Forgive the low quality, they are zoomed-in jpgs from the hosted highlights: https://www.theonion.com/politics/our-dumb-century

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

palindrome posted:

Holy poo poo that headline. They pulled no punches.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I remember thinking Trump would win after this came out https://www.theonion.com/admit-it-you-people-want-to-see-how-far-this-goes-don-1819584988

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

classic

https://www.theonion.com/why-do-all-these-homosexuals-keep-sucking-my-cock-1819583529

i think this is my favorite headline

https://www.theonion.com/black-guy-asks-nation-for-change-1819569703

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK62I-4cuSY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwom49awRKg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF184_T_eWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlJdsX181QU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
In the unimaginable landscape of physical media two decades ago, I owned a copy of the 2001 Onion annual. The Christmas publishing cycle aligned beautifully for this, as the book ran from Nov 2000 to Oct 2001, which captured two very special editions: Bush vs Gore, and 9/11

NBC News Reverses Earlier Report Of Gore's Death

quote:

...Early in the evening, NBC's on-screen outline of Gore was colored blue, signifying life. At 11:17 p.m. EST, it turned red, indicating death. When word arrived that Gore had a pulse but no signs of brain activity, the outline reverted to its original uncolored state, meaning "unconfirmed."

In the hours following the erroneous report, NBC was more cautious about making projections, posting the latest readings from Gore's blood-pressure monitor but refraining from speculating about his overall status.

Even the TV listing was full of little gems like the MTV double bill "Talking To Blink 182 About The Tragedy"/"Carson Daly In Way Over His Head", or "Extremely Uninformed Debate" on public access.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The Obama goes to Dennys video is probably my favorite political piece:

https://youtu.be/_yiQXPOO1Yo

But my overall favorite is "Sony releases goddamn piece of poo poo"

https://youtu.be/8AyVh1_vWYQ

And the most prescient is absolutely the white hot ball of rage for president one in the OP. That came out like a week after the 2012 election and it was completely true, right down to the stinger about Hillary in the chyron at the end.

"It's got me building this hive"

One More Fat Nerd has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Jun 10, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Desperate Employer Offers Basic Dignity To Incentivize New Hires

posted yesterday posted:

BOSTON—Calling the benefit the only way to lure employees back into the workforce following the pandemic, local employer Apex Insurance announced Wednesday that it would begin offering basic dignity as an incentive for new hires. “Frankly, we don’t have the resources to hand out respect to every new hire, but if what’s needed is a perk like acknowledging that our employees are human beings rather than profit-producing cogs, then we’ll do it,” said Apex CEO Brandon Chenoweth, noting that the suite of basic decency benefits would include not actively degrading workers in front of their faces, openly speaking to them about the company’s problems as if they were adults, and even occasionally crediting them for their own work. “It was astonishing to see the number of potential employees in this post-Covid environment who turned down job offers simply because I acted like they were a literal piece of garbage whose fate rested in my palm. That’s new, and it shows that the pandemic is going to require some real inventiveness to get them back in the door and working like mules to boost our bottom line.” Chenoweth added that he hoped once the job market stabilized in a few months he would soon get back to treating his employees like absolute dogshit.

https://www.theonion.com/desperate-employer-offers-basic-dignity-to-incentivize-1847064273

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo1IwmaUz90

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
For straight news videos, I find it hard to top this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyph_DZa_GQ
I am the law

Once you let Today Now into the picture, this is pretty strong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUT8ec24anM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

palindrome posted:

lotta good ones in that book, my fav is the classic moon landing one