Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

UP AND ADAM posted:

Ah yeah, the problem does lie with all the clueless cargo cult morons who can't abide criticism of their favorite media. Thanks!

Thanks for saying what needs to be said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Omfg you have to be kidding me
Radagon and Elden Beast are two phases of the same flight? gently caress me right off

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

UP AND ADAM posted:

Ah yeah, the problem does lie with all the clueless cargo cult morons who can't abide criticism of their favorite media. Thanks!

Calm down buddy it's just a video game

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I am calm and more importantly, correct.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

UP AND ADAM posted:

LIke a sane and healthy person you created a strawman you can disagree with by epically owning them and then did the same thing again but based solely on an emote someone posted.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Sekiro was my first From game and I've always played a dodge-heavy, in-your-face dex-scaling build in DS3 and so far in ER. I want to start fresh for my third run and play a sorcerer, gravity magic looks fun, but I have much less idea how to prioritize my stats. How should I balance Vigor vs. Mind vs. Endurance? It feels like a bad idea to have low vigor, but maybe I can max out my FP instead and just stay out of damage range? I'm guessing Endurance is where I make the sacrifice to keep Mind high, but then I'm still sacrificing EHP through weaker armor. Any good rule of thumb here?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It seems unreasonable to expect every single boss in the game to be equally balanced against every build variety, let alone a build with a variety of self imposed restrictions like refusing to level past a certain point or solo/no summons. If you were able to clown on every boss in the game with your build except for the super secret hidden endgame ultra boss, does that automatically have to mean they actually made the fight wrong?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Muscle Tracer posted:

Sekiro was my first From game and I've always played a dodge-heavy, in-your-face dex-scaling build in DS3 and so far in ER. I want to start fresh for my third run and play a sorcerer, gravity magic looks fun, but I have much less idea how to prioritize my stats. How should I balance Vigor vs. Mind vs. Endurance? It feels like a bad idea to have low vigor, but maybe I can max out my FP instead and just stay out of damage range? I'm guessing Endurance is where I make the sacrifice to keep Mind high, but then I'm still sacrificing EHP through weaker armor. Any good rule of thumb here?

I play a sorcerer / katana guy, and vigor is important always, cause gettting one-shot sucks. I sacrifice enudrance in favor of mind and int, but vigor is always important unless you're just really extremely good at timing. Even when you get hit but don't die, you'll be carrying FP bottles, so getting a few small hits here and there can still stall progress as you run out of healing and need to reset an area or rest.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

From everything I've seen you'll still want some vigor. You can't simply stay out of harm's way, even if you use spirit ashes to draw aggro because bosses generally just attack the last thing that attacked them, which will be you a lot of the time.

I think the best thing to do in the early game is to up INT to a high enough level to use whatever spells you wanna use and then get some VIG, MND and END and once those are at a level you're comfortable with you can bolster up on INT to maximize your scaling. That or you can make use of ways to get Runes quick and early (Greyoll comes to mind, mainly) to get a good base. You'll also need some STR and DEX, naturally, to be able to wield weapons, but you shouldn't have to go higher than minimum req's here.

The important thing is that you can always readjust (or respec, once you have that unlocked) so I wouldn't fret too much over ending up with something that isn't ideal.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Muscle Tracer posted:

Mind is less important than you might think.

Id say for pure sorcered the stats of importance are Vigor (to 40 eventually) then INT then Mind and then maybe endurance or faith

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I put a few points into Vigor for my Int caster but towards end game my Co-Op buddy with 60 Vigor was still getting one show by most boss attacks and grab moves, at least by the super bosses and end bosses, so I think enough Vigor to not get one-shot by trash enemies is a good goal.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It took all afternoon but I finally nailed that mean ol' Elden Beast. Thanks everyone who offered tips, they were all helpful.
That was a super satisfying game.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

UP AND ADAM posted:

And yet, never gud

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Flytrap posted:

It's wonderful that they gave halberds three totally unique movesets (stabby, choppy, swooshy) and each one of them is fantastic. I've loved halberds since DeS but was always a little disappointed by the fact that the primary difference between them was being chop-thrust-chop or thrust-chop-thrust. Halberd users done got fed.

For sure! I have a feeling I'll come back for another halberd (Nightrider's Glaive) when I do a Str/Fai run, there are so many good choices in the class.

crepeface posted:

i cannot get into the swordspear vertical swipe moveset. idk if the windup is actually slower but it feels like it gets dodged a lot. I much prefer the downward chop (2h) moveset which seems to roll catch really well.

It does take some getting used to and I'm not good at free aiming with the R1 yet, it misses very easily if they move to your left. There are fast horizontal sweeps but they all require more inputs to get but I've gotten used to those by now.

The Lucerne is a shadow of its former glory. I miss the Mirdan Hammer too with its pure blunt damage. It was a pain to farm it early in Stonefang Tunnel from those 2 bag miners who had it as a really rare drop, but I did and then did a full run of DeS with it.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

IGgy IGsen posted:

LIke a sane and healthy person you created a strawman you can disagree with by epically owning them and then did the same thing again but based solely on an emote someone posted.

it is an extremely healthy way to spend a saturday

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm gonna make a Sekiro mod that adds a John Sekiro mimic and I'm gonna name the mod UP AND ADAM. It's also gonna have a loading screen where it explains that while you'd normally expect John to be a dex build, he is actually a strength build and in fact has nothing but contempt for dex weirdos, that he's honor bound to use this katana but would prefer to use a huge hammer

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

Just to add to the responses since I'm playing Int/Dex: 24 Int covers all the early spells I wanted to use.

I went for the Str/Dex I needed for melee weapons early on since I'm not playing a pure sorcerer but one that uses buffed melee and the Carian sword sorceries a lot.

Vigor is important even for a ranged mage. You're not able to upgrade armor in this game so the only way to improve your eHP is to wear heavier, more tanky armor or to add more HP. I think HP is a better investment than End early on. Getting it up to 20 early made the game much easier after which I focused on Mind.

20 Mind is a bit more efficient in terms of not wasting your Cerulean flasks as much but even with 20 + 3 from Scarseal + 5 from Godrick's Rune each flask still overfills the blue bar. Not that's a bad thing, but a data point. I do 3 health flasks and 6 fp flasks, so it's not a big problem in any case.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Also for mages scarseal and soreseal are helpful. Though i think theres a break point where they start being not as great

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

What’s a good mid-game bow? I’m playing as a Confessor, and I have yet to unlock the snow areas. I mostly use bows as a way to kite individual enemies so I don’t have to fight an entire mob at once, though it’s nice to be able to kill some dudes at a distance. I snagged the Horn Bow early because it seems pretty good, but I’ve been hesitant to upgrade it past +12 because I don’t want to waste stones if there’s something meaningfully better just around the corner. Should I be looking at great bows at this point? I have Radhan’s great bow, it seems pretty good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bob Socko posted:

What’s a good mid-game bow? I’m playing as a Confessor, and I have yet to unlock the snow areas. I mostly use bows as a way to kite individual enemies so I don’t have to fight an entire mob at once, though it’s nice to be able to kill some dudes at a distance. I snagged the Horn Bow early because it seems pretty good, but I’ve been hesitant to upgrade it past +12 because I don’t want to waste stones if there’s something meaningfully better just around the corner. Should I be looking at great bows at this point? I have Radhan’s great bow, it seems pretty good.

You can get the black bow in leyndell. it has the stats of a longbow except it can still use barrage like a shortbow.

Radahn's bow is also definitely fantastic, but has different use cases and I'd keep both upgraded.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
get the harp bow! It's not good, but it looks like a harp and makes a funny sound when you fire it

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

30 mind is plenty for an end game int build. As others have said, you don't want to skimp on vigor, and int is obviously going to be gatekeeping a lot of spells. Endurance you'll be fine with 20-30 too, you need to invest some there because spells use up a lot of stamina too and you don't want to be limited to only 2-3 of back to back casts.

The other complicating factor is that you'll also want SOME melee capacity, just for trash mobs or the handful of bosses that you can't really land spells on. In that regard Dex weapons synergize well because Dex also increases your spellcasting speed. So I'd say find a dex weapon you like with int scaling and invest at least the minimum dex to get it.

I'd say you'll be aiming for an end-game build with:

50-55 vig (I managed my first playthrough with 45 but poo poo got easier as I pumped more into it in NG+)
20-30 end
30 mind (this let me have a flask balance of 5 FP and 9 HP)
50+ int (you obviously want as much as possible here once you're feeling ok with other stats, all the way up to 80)
20-30 dex

and minimum other stats

that's for a final level of 150ish depending what starter you picked

Basically as you're playing through you'll get a feel for which stats are lacking and need more investment and focus on them for the next few levels.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Bob Socko posted:

Radahns for a great bow

Black bow for a longbow

Serpent bow for a status bow

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

tractor fanatic posted:

get the harp bow! It's not good, but it looks like a harp and makes a funny sound when you fire it

holy poo poo this is a real thing and I have a new
gimmick for NG++

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Thanks everyone! Off to find the black and serpent (and harp) bows.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

something that bugged me on my first playthrough and which stands out even more on a replay is how strangely the armor is distributed throughout the world. There are like 2 armor sets in the entirety of limgrave that aren't enemy drops. When I was still mostly wearing my starting armor 20 hours into my first playthrough, I figured this was just a result of elden ring not being part of the souls series so they couldn't copy any sets from previous games and had to make everything from scratch, so there would be a leaner selection of armor than dark souls 3. Instead, no, there really is a comparable number of sets to dark souls 3 even though they're all original creations, they're just so backloaded that you get barely any for half the game and then altus has individual rooms with more armor than all of limgrave. wanna get my fashion options earlier.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bob Socko posted:

I'd also recommend the pulley bow, which is among the dead soldiers on top of a siege engine at the foot of Mount Gelmir. If I remember right the damage isn't as good as some other bows, but it makes up for it by having incredible range. Perfect if you like bows as fantasy sniper rifles.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

something that bugged me on my first playthrough and which stands out even more on a replay is how strangely the armor is distributed throughout the world. There are like 2 armor sets in the entirety of limgrave that aren't enemy drops. When I was still mostly wearing my starting armor 20 hours into my first playthrough, I figured this was just a result of elden ring not being part of the souls series so they couldn't copy any sets from previous games and had to make everything from is supposedly escratch, so there would be a leaner selection of armor than dark souls 3. Instead, no, there really is a comparable number of sets to dark souls 3 even though they're all original creations, they're just so backloaded that you get barely any for half the game and then altus has individual rooms with more armor than all of limgrave. wanna get my fashion options earlier.

Yeah. The lack of early cool looking medium armor is one reason I haven't really bothered with End yet. Some of the dropped armor is nice but you may not notice them unless you get a lucky drop. The Exile armor I got by just playing through Stormveil and is a nice set in terms of protection/weight.

Farmed a Mausoleum Knight for the chest piece which has mock death bird wings that look like they were made by a fan boy for halloween and the cape too is very cool, all muted and faded glory. Love it.

Read that the Flame Monks can drop some cool looking armor, but not gonna farm them. I'm tempted to farm Banished Knight armor and use it with the equip load talisman. They can easily get to 51 poise which is enough for all non-great poise attacks in PvE.

But not being able to buy anything other than the other classes' starting armor is kinda weird.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

crepeface posted:

i knew they nerfed crucible knight duo! i was looking for a post i made about them being less aggressive at the same time, but i guess it was somewhere else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kOIYgvJ2XY&t=654s

good change imo, i really hated them before

The first time I played it took me literally 4 hours to kill these bozos.

Yesterday I killed them in a single attempt.

Its amazing how much of a difference it makes.

Edit: can I just check, does the change in group AI apply to the Godskin duo? Because Illusory wall here doesn't mention them when he's talking about the specific fights and how they were tweaked.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 28, 2022

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Thanks everyone for the Int input. Gonna go test out a bunch of spells on my NG2 character to see what I like the feel of and plan to beeline for, then get castin'!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Got Malenia's sword and actually upgraded it. Yeah, sure is a sword all right. Switched back to reapers to finish the game with, they're so much more fun and stylish. They also did more damage to the final duo than I expected, I had some flails and maces levelled up as backup if they weren't going to cut it

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So what builds are people using that endgame enemies are oneshotting them with 60 vig? Are y'all just running around naked with no damage mitigation talismans? Because with even just the Confessor Set and 50 Vig I found all of one attack that can oneshot me (eating the entire Waterfowl Dance sequence). Is this a caster problem? Do y'all just not get any physical defense boosts when you level?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Flytrap posted:

So what builds are people using that endgame enemies are oneshotting them with 60 vig? Are y'all just running around naked with no damage mitigation talismans? Because with even just the Confessor Set and 50 Vig I found all of one attack that can oneshot me (eating the entire Waterfowl Dance sequence). Is this a caster problem? Do y'all just not get any physical defense boosts when you level?

I don't even go to 50 VIG most of the time and I don't get one-shot. Light armor makes things harder sure, but you still shouldn't get actually one-shot from a regular attack. So I'm not sure how people do it or if I can believe they manage to do it. Unless they use the talisman that makes you take more damage.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm talking about Plusidax's Lightning Blink-Swipe claw attacks, like i said literally the very final ultra-secret super bosses.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
lordssworn longsword with sacred blade WA and blasphemous blade carried me through my first playthrough, on my second and current playthrough I found a moonveil katana that seems to be super strong and I think it's going to carry my int character pretty far. I was using carian slicer for a while but the katana seems real nice and has a quick and decent WA with useful range. I like that it takes somber stones while I can pair it with a magic uchigatana that takes smithing stones.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I want cheerful smithing stones. :colbert:

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
that's why you need so many of the regular ones, they're all friendos

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

You can get the black bow in leyndell. it has the stats of a longbow except it can still use barrage like a shortbow.

I’ll think you can just put a barrage ash of war on another longbow. But what makes the black bow special is that it has short bow jumping, running and rolling attacks. The jumping attack, with the quick follow up when you land, makes short bow dps way higher than longbows outside of ashes of war. Also the black bow upgrades with somber stones, which makes it a lot easier to keep upgraded.

I think barrage is not actually the best ash for pure damage, so if you don’t care about range, short bows that can replace the ash are better. But barrage is good enough. I used the black bow to kill placidusax and the Elden beast since being able to output consistent damage from anywhere in the arena is ultra valuable in those fights.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Agents are GO! posted:

I want cheerful smithing stones. :colbert:

Easy for you to say, you’re not getting beaten with Hewg’s hammer everyday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lordssworn longsword with sacred blade WA and blasphemous blade carried me through my first playthrough, on my second and current playthrough I found a moonveil katana that seems to be super strong and I think it's going to carry my int character pretty far. I was using carian slicer for a while but the katana seems real nice and has a quick and decent WA with useful range. I like that it takes somber stones while I can pair it with a magic uchigatana that takes smithing stones.

Moonveil was my crutch weapon for my Int playthrough, it’s so stronk and breaks poise really really easily, and the ranged attack and vertical slice will interrupt all manner of bullshit.