Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

huh posted:

How are the English language names of various characters/creatures etc. arrived at?

For example Seath. Or Logan. Or Patches. Are they English versions of Japanese names? Like, why Undead Burg? Why Burg? Was that a translation? Or does From have such a mastery of English that they can choose just the right words that the tone is often perfect?

What is the process?

My friend,

https://shetanislair.com/en/posts/lost-in-translation-dark-souls-one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't agree with all of that page's opinions on the localization choices but the insight into the japanese boss names is interesting.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

TheMostFrench posted:

Something else to think about while waiting for this is the alleged production of a Bloodborne HBO series.

https://www.wiredupreport.com/2021/05/07/buzz/confirmed-hbo-and-sony-work-on-a-series-of-bloodborne-the-success-of-from-software/

Word from people I know close to the industry is that they’re already beginning preliminary casting for this. Since his recent portrayal of “dirty Wild West” in the movie News of the World went over so well, the HBO execs are gunning very hard for Tom Hanks to play Father Gasciogne.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Thanks. This is so far up my alley. I love that some translations are so literal, whereas poetic license it obviously used in others.

A couple of less literal translations:

Vilebloods

I was reading the artbook to see if I can find something of note when I stumbled upon the Cainhurst and Annalise section. Vilebloods in Japanese are named 血族 [ketsuzoku], literally "blood relative", Annalise is 血の女王 [chi no joo:] - Blood Queen. There is nothing "vile" in their real name, this offensive nickname was given to them by the Executioners. They should be called something like "The Blood Kin of Cainhurst".

Gaping Dragon
貪食 [donshoku] - an interesting word that denotes voracity, ravenousness. It consists of 貪る [musaba.ru], a verb meaning "to indulge in" or "to lust insatiably for something" and a simple verb 食う [ku.u] - eat. By the way, this very verb is used in Hanzo's ultimate, if you ever played Overwatch: Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau :D

The name of the boss actually tells you about him: Gaping Dragon was a descendant of the Everlasting Dragons but was transformed into an abomination by its desires, primarily - gluttony. That is why the majority of the boss is its giant maw.

For some weird reason, English localization chose to make up the dragon's name based on how it looks. Why not Voracious Dragon?..

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
And to answer my own questions from earlier:

Seath the Scaleless

Oh, Seath. What happened to you. His original name is much simpler than you would imagine:

白竜 [hakuryu:] - "white dragon".

Just like that. No scales, no nothing.

Patches

Japanese - 鉄板のパッチ [teppan no pacchi]
English - Trusty Patches

鉄板 [teppan] - apart from a metal griddle for cooking, "teppan" can be a slang word that means "sure thing" or "certain winner" - generally something that is 100% bound to happen. Here, I think, it has a meaning of "reliable", like "100% reliable dude Patches". "Trusty" is a great choice. Oh, the irony is so sweet.

パッチ [pacchi] - literally "patch", so Patches is also a great way to localize this name.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TheMostFrench posted:

Something else to think about while waiting for this is the alleged production of a Bloodborne HBO series.

https://www.wiredupreport.com/2021/05/07/buzz/confirmed-hbo-and-sony-work-on-a-series-of-bloodborne-the-success-of-from-software/

disgusting. hosed up and gross crap, rear end doodoo

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.frontlinejp.net/2021/06/17/elden-ring-director-interview-part-2-miyazaki-discusses-the-gameplay/

Something from this interview that caught my eye:

quote:

Miyazaki is asked about the legacy dungeons, and he says that one can expect more of what was seen in the complex areas of the Dark Souls series. He adds that they in fact now have a larger scale, and new elements like the jump make exploration more fun. The interviewer asks about fall damage, and Miyazaki says that they considered the jump while adjusting fall damage, and it is set low so that the player does not feel stress during exploration. Additionally, they have made it so that things like attacks do not result in unfair-feeling falls off platforms. Going back to the legacy dungeons, Miyazaki says that there are six such “maximum-scale” dungeons.

This actually killed or hosed me over or inconvenienced me many, many times. I normally treat that as a typical part of brutal Fromsoft level design: hazardous terrain is hazardous because it limits what you can do to respond to enemies, and it's your fault for using high momentum attacks. This is actually a huge shift in power towards the player.

In general I find DS1's levels much more difficult to navigate and fight in compared to the other later soulsborne games, alot more death pits without OSHA railings.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

https://www.frontlinejp.net/2021/06/17/elden-ring-director-interview-part-2-miyazaki-discusses-the-gameplay/

This actually killed or hosed me over or inconvenienced me many, many times. I normally treat that as a typical part of brutal Fromsoft level design: hazardous terrain is hazardous because it limits what you can do to respond to enemies, and it's your fault for using high momentum attacks. This is actually a huge shift in power towards the player.

In general I find DS1's levels much more difficult to navigate and fight in compared to the other later soulsborne games, alot more death pits without OSHA railings.

You have to be careful when interpreting translated interviews, especially machine translated ones. The translation of that famitsu interview I saw a few days ago made it sound like it applied to enemy attacks, not your own, for instance (as in, enemies can't knock you off of ledges anymore). So we have two different translations for that now that mean very different things, and it's possible that neither are correct. Maybe he just means that level design has been changed so it's much less of an issue now. With these kinds of translations of vague interview answers, you can't really say anything for sure.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 18, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I feel like if an enemy hits me sufficiently hard on a platform then I 100% deserve to be flung straight off that platform to my painful demise.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
How many of you fuckers have been kicked off by that big skeleton hiding behind the archer, or got punted off that ledge by the mallet hag?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Phobophilia posted:

I feel like if an enemy hits me sufficiently hard on a platform then I 100% deserve to be flung straight off that platform to my painful demise.
same except also if I press r1 near and facing the edge I deserve to fall off

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Phobophilia posted:

Sekiro already did it, it's not new.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Pft, if you can't handle Sen's Fortress at its worst, you don't deserve Elden Ring at its best

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phobophilia posted:

How many of you fuckers have been kicked off by that big skeleton hiding behind the archer

God I don't care how many times I see it, I laugh every time:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Somehow when I played it the first time I ran in, saw him, nearly fell off the edge trying to escape and did a turn back. I was so proud of missing them.

Then after dying a little bit later I forgot they were there and ran in and got hoofed off.

A great little trick :D

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sen's fortress isn't hard

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Lookit the size of that ui.

Dark Souls was my first foray and everything was so drat hard. Especially Sen's. The magnificence of Anor Lando after the hell of Sen's Fortress was so so sweet.

I can't find it now but there's a particular image that piqued my interest in Dark Souls. It's of the player character fighting one of those giant rolling cats in Darkroot Forest. There was something so fantastical about it. Like from some European fairy tale.

edit for image

huh fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 18, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

would you say he needs to become betterer?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't agree with all of that page's opinions on the localization choices but the insight into the japanese boss names is interesting.

Yeah "Crossbreed Priscilla" and "Seath the Scaleless" are much better names than a straight translation would've been and they have a problem with both.

Didn't see anyone mention it but Seath is the name of a dragon in King's Field.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 18, 2021

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
In Nioh the forward momentum of your attacks doesn't make you slip and fall (you have to walk off the ledge to drop down) so there's one thing they chose to make different from Souls.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

quote:

Yes, I am very upset about Hydra, because it's Lake Beast. I feel like localization is trying to make many things more familiar, thus more comfortable, instead of leaving the player guessing or scared, as intended. Trivializing a mysterios Lake Beast into Hydra that everybody has heard about is ruining the unsettling atmosphere of Dark Souls where many things should spook you by their unfamiliar-ness.
Can someone remind me where that thing is actually mentioned by name in game? It doesn't have a boss bar or any unique items associated with it as far as I remember. I guess it's in the lore somewhere, or someone's dialogue? It's been awhile since I've done a proper playthrough of Dark Souls where I read everything and talk to everyone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't recall it ever being named in game but that's another odd complaint because it is a hydra. I thought of it as "the hydra" when I encountered it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if they really wanted it to be called "lake beast" they shouldn't have made it look like a hydra

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hydras are scary.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

IronicDongz posted:

same except also if I press r1 near and facing the edge I deserve to fall off

The From likes to hang treasure next to a ledge, and oops if you're just too close you slip and fall. Getting that Saw Spear is annoying as gently caress. It won't kill you outright, but it feels bad that your character is dumb enough to deliberately step off a ledge when they hit the things. It's the bad kind of loss of control. It's very arbitrary with other game actions: throwing firebombs has forward momentum, but not throwing prism stones.

codo27 posted:

bitch i can deathless sens

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
https://www.pcgamer.com/george-r-r-martin-elden-ring-is-a-sequel-to-dark-souls/

quote:

George R.R. Martin: Elden Ring "is a sequel" to Dark Souls

"I worked up you know a fairly detailed background for them...but then they would periodically come in and show me monsters they'd designed, and these were fantastic designs, but I would sometimes push back on this design or that. These are mature games with mature themes. So I'd refer to Giger's designs, their sexuality and phallic tones. [From] showed me these giant deceitful worms from the Dark Souls series, like enormous genitals sprouting from the void. I loved it. I said to them 'we need to do more of that.' I never...I still don't...understand [Elden Ring]'s fixation with hands. To me, hands are tools. They aren't usually sexual. If I've contributed anything, I'd say that Elden Ring will be more sexual than From would have intended."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
More dicks!

- GRRM

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

codo27 posted:

It is if you are a piece of poo poo at video games.

I know this because I am a piece of poo poo at video games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wonder if they told him the dicks like eating poo poo.

CharlestonJew posted:

if they really wanted it to be called "lake beast" they shouldn't have made it look like a hydra

Right if it had been some weird aquatic monster and they called it "hydra" the complaint would make sense.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Regy Rusty posted:

Hydras are scary.

DS1 Hylake Beastdra isn't though. It even gets easier the more you hit it.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

:lol:

needs more making GBS threads too

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Lol literally the onion article about him stealing elf titties. This fucken guy

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Volte posted:

Can someone remind me where that thing is actually mentioned by name in game? It doesn't have a boss bar or any unique items associated with it as far as I remember. I guess it's in the lore somewhere, or someone's dialogue? It's been awhile since I've done a proper playthrough of Dark Souls where I read everything and talk to everyone.

In the game data it’s named LakeBeast, lol.

There’s some fun stuff hidden in the names the game data uses too. i.e. Bed of Chaos is KingIzalis, Quelaag is Cragspider, Gwyn is FirewoodKing, Dusk is Stateless_princess, Laurentius is Magician_of_Pot

Forgot my favorite, the bloated toxic hollows in the painted world are called Husi(=undead)Congestion

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 18, 2021

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Phobophilia posted:

The From likes to hang treasure next to a ledge, and oops if you're just too close you slip and fall. Getting that Saw Spear is annoying as gently caress. It won't kill you outright, but it feels bad that your character is dumb enough to deliberately step off a ledge when they hit the things. It's the bad kind of loss of control. It's very arbitrary with other game actions: throwing firebombs has forward momentum, but not throwing prism stones.

bitch i can deathless sens

you don’t just cut down the bodies with the items and grab them on the floor? I didn’t know it was even possible to grab the items while they’re still hanging tbh

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Shattered ring that represents the natural order of things... fingers being needed to "penetrate" the hole in a ring and thereby claim it... proclaimed gods of the natural order covering themselves and their environment in hands... yeah, no, I get how George couldn't figure this mystery out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how can it be mature if it dont have titties and penises

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

how can it be mature if it dont have titties and penises

That story about how an artist came to Miyazaki with his drawing of big titty Gwynevere and he saw how proud the guy was of it so he didn't have the heart to not put her in the game but it's GRRM and he's pounding the table screaming "YES!!! YES!!!!"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

waaaaaaait a minute that quote isn't in the article at all... i've been snookered!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
So Miyazaki comes to me with all these pictures of guys covered in hands, real wild stuff, but I'm like, say, Miyazaki, buddy, hands can't cum, I don't know what to tell ya.

And that conversation was basically the seed from which the Fornicatrix, the walking penis with boobs made out of poo poo that punches the player with its balls, came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

waaaaaaait a minute that quote isn't in the article at all... i've been snookered!

Cream-of-Plenty is a treasure. I've been enjoying their posts in the Doom thread for years now