Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Some great matches for the final day! Shame about no playoffs but congrats to Teru for a solid yusho.

My whole final team went KK, congrats to all of them as well!

Kuros fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Macaron colours? Blue!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

shooting for pink

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The problem with following Japanese sumo Twitter for pictures is that you wake up to a lot of pictures of a guy holding a trophy and find out how the day went early.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shiroc posted:

The problem with following Japanese sumo Twitter for pictures is that you wake up to a lot of pictures of a guy holding a trophy and find out how the day went early.

i made sure to mute "terunofuji", "takanosho", "yusho", "sumo" and "emperor's cup" (first three in japanse as well) for 24 hours to avoid this and removed them once i saw kinta's digest

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Wakatakakage good

Terunofuji really good

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Disastrous final few days for team FBG

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Last day is always so bittersweet. A lot of fun was had, but then the realization that no sumo for two months. At least we have the Sumo Mainichi banzuke podcast episode to look forward to, halfway in.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Shiroc posted:

This is why I unsubscribe from the official sumo YouTube channel at the start of every basho.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Satisfying end to the basho - Abi vs Wakatakakage was definitely my stand out of the final day though I was very pleased to see Tobizaru secure another win even though it came too late. Glad that my team - for the most part - pulled themselves together. There was definitely a period just after the halfway point where I was frowning with an increasingly furrowed brow as I looked back and forth between my picks and the daily highlights. At the end of the day if my hasty maths is right I'm fairly sure I've performed better than my previous fantasy sumo effort, so I'm happy with that!

I will continue to train hard and develop my brand of fantasy sumo.

Thanks as always to Kenning for running it, it really does make watching matches even more enjoyable when you're personally invested in your stable.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

nth-ing how good Abi vs Wakatakakage was. Really happy with the final result even if it wasn't he most exciting thing we could've gotten.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

it was gold!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The move Endo pulled today was pretty cool.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Also lol Shodai showing his greatest spirit in forever in trying his best to chaos agent having all 3 ozeki be kadoban.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Also lol Shodai showing his greatest spirit in forever in trying his best to chaos agent having all 3 ozeki be kadoban.

I appreciated this, good basho.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

what people don't understand is that "Shodai gonna Shodai" isn't an insult, it's a threat.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I was disappointed we didn’t get the playoff chaos that was possible but my dude Teru snagging another yusho is still good. I’m glad he didn’t pull out after a shaky start because he really looked like a yokozuna by the end. Even without being 100% he still just found ways to win and made it clear why he got the rope.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Here's Chiyotaiyo ranked at Jd44 doing a celebratory kip up for which he was immediately scolded for. On that alone, I'll cheer for him if he ever makes it up into the bigs.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

With Terunofuji's 7th yusho, he's now officially in the top half of the yokozuna rankings, with 43 out of the 73 recognized yokozuna having 6 yushos or less.

Couple of notable things from that list:
  • Two more yushos and Terunofuji ties Harumafuji. That's definitely achievable.
  • Four more yushos and he ties Akebono. I gotta think that's a long shot given the concerns on his knees, but just getting close to that count cements him as one of the top yokozuna in the modern era.

anakha fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 23, 2022

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Always good to get that perspective for those of us who started watching in the Hakuho era (which I assume is almost everyone). "Less than 10 yusho? Weak as hell, bad promotion"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

anakha posted:

With Terunofuji's 7th yusho, he's now officially in the top half of the yokozuna rankings, with 43 out of the 73 recognized yokozuna having 6 yushos or less.

Couple of notable things from that list:
  • Two more yushos and Terunofuji ties Harumafuji. That's definitely achievable.
  • Four more yushos and he ties Akebono. I gotta think that's a long shot given the concerns on his knees, but just getting close to that count cements him as one of the top yokozuna in the modern era.

He's already passed Kakuryu.

As for Akebono we've discussed his number of bashos is less than it should've been became Takanohana, Wakanohana, and some other Ozeki were all in the same heya. They never had to wrestle each other but Akebono had to wrestle all of them.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Log082 posted:

what people don't understand is that "Shodai gonna Shodai" isn't an insult, it's a threat.

I wonder if Hakuho was right on NHK and something is hurt because the last couple days were the first in a long time that “Fighting Shodai” showed up, but still lost.

That said, with the power of Kyujo I could see Teru getting 4 more yusho before all is said and done. It’ll still be a while before the youngsters like Hoshoryu, WTK, Kotonowaka, and the like are ready to settle in on Ozeki base camp to make a run for the rope.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm going to put on my sumo elder frown and say that Terunofuji should be having 13+ wins with the weak ozeki rank and no other yokozuna.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Kenning, I was curious about the template you use in Excel to run the results, would you mind sharing an example of it? I work on Excel files at work often and would like to see how you set it up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hey everybody! Sorry for the delay in getting the last few days' results, a friend of mine is getting married soon and I'm helping with various wedding things so my weekends have been pretty booked up. As a note, because there were 3 rikishi with a jun-yusho score, no jun-yusho were awarded in fantasy.

Final Results

Makuuchi
code:
63	Banana Canada
58.5	Khizan
58	Jobbo_Fett
58	Skjorte
56.5	anakha
53.5	captainblastum
53	Thauros
52.5	Eli949
52.5	Tochiazuma
51	bartolimu
50.5	Firebatgyro
50.5	Marching Powder
50.5	scripterror
50	Tiny Bug Child
50	Vargatron
49	MyChemicalImbalance
49	Neodoomium
48	Kenning
47	bessantj
47	Charles Gnarwin
46	Ice Phisherman
45	Lid
44.5	Chinook
44.5	whats for dinner
43.5	pseudodragon
43	sivad
42	NuclearPotato
42	some kinda jackal
41	Everyones Favorite Poster
41	Iron Chef Nex
40	QuasiQuack
40	Takuan
37.5	Teddybear
35.5	Communist Thoughts
35.5	GoatSeeGuy
35.5	jmzero
35.5	Lexorin
33.5	Crusty Nutsack
32	MalarkeyToboggan
32	Netsky
30	Fluffdaddy
7	Beeswax
Juryo
code:
57	Saturnine Aberrance
56	ullerrm
53.5	Flinger
51.5	Pakled
51.5	Robviously
47	Mode 7
46.5	Kuros
45.5	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
45	Shiroc
44.5	Gaghskull
42.5	Boogalo
42.5	ratmosphere
42	ilmucche
41.5	Log082
41.5	Maigius
41	Liquid Communism
40	Brut
40	LlamaTrauma
38.5	Spokes
36.5	KungFu Grip
36.5	Scythe
35.5	Biosys
33		Helianthus Annuus
Congratulations to Banana Canada on joining captainblastum as being only the second two-time yokogoona in the history of our goonzuke. Banana Canada's canny pick of sansho and kinboshi winner Takanosho really sealed their win, but they picked wisely enough to have all kachi-koshi by day 14, an admirable feat. They're joined in having all kachi-koshi by shin-juryo Saturnine Aberrance, whose early dominance in the tournament held throughout. They also managed to pick up a sansho and a kinboshi, although from different rikishi (Daieisho and Tamawashi), and were only hindered by being unable to draft Terunofuji. That said, they correctly picked the one non-kadoban ozeki from this tournament, and it was an impressive first attempt. Congratulations! Special shout out to my main goon and one-time juryo yusho winner Crusty Nutsack for only getting one kachi-koshi (Terunofuji) against 6 make-koshi after making two of the worst trades in the history of this competition, managing to get make-koshi not only from Hokutofuji and Takarafuji, but also from second choice Tobizaru and Kotoeko. Brutal trading aside, they still managed, unimaginably, to come in 4th from the bottom, surpassing a handful of other competitors including ex-yokogoona Fluffdaddy whose only kachi-koshi came from, of all people, Meisei.

On to special prizes! A refresher, these are the special prizes:

Gino-sho/Technique: No make-koshi on your team.
Kanto-sho/Fighting Spirit: Exceptional performance from a low rank, or other acknowledgement of great performance.
Shukun-sho/Outstanding Performance: Getting the highest number of accolades (i.e. kinboshi, yusho/jun-yusho, and sansho) in the field.

So, who are the awardees?

Gino-sho: Banana Canada, Jobbo_Fett, MyChemicalImbalance, Skjorte, Saturnine Aberrance
Kanto-sho: Jobbo_Fett, Saturnine Aberrance,
Shukun-sho: Banana Canada, ullerrm

Great to play fantasy again, it's awesome to have goddamn 65 people playing Fantasy Sumo. Look out for a goonzuke post sometime before the next banzuke (so help me god).

Kuros posted:

Kenning, I was curious about the template you use in Excel to run the results, would you mind sharing an example of it? I work on Excel files at work often and would like to see how you set it up.

I'm gonna be honest: I'm a little self-conscious about my spreadsheets. When I started out with fantasy I was mainly just using Excel as a place to take notes on a grid, and everything was manual and very visual in nature. This was fine enough when 8 people were playing. In the 5 years since I've learned a lot more about proper Excel design and taught myself some functions that make it possible to even run, but I've been meaning to rebuild my sheets from the ground up for a year or so since it's all just iterations on the initial sheet. I also do some hideous things with pivot tables in order to finish the drafting process. In fact, kyujo goon Beeswax hit me up about seeing my process at the end of the last basho and I very rudely never even responded to their PM (I was out of town preparing for a party at my mom's house and lost track of it, I beg apology).

I'd like to make it at least conceivable for fantasy to continue if I were to get hit by a bus, so I'll sit down and try to make up a clean template to share sometime in the next month or so, as well as preparing a sort of legend explaining what is happening in each relevant section so it might be easier to deconstruct and rebuild clean.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 26, 2022

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
absolutely staggering that i posted a score above 50 when the first five-ish days were so abysmal.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Please forgive my behaviour which is unbecoming the dignity of a yokogoona but...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
My brand of sumo got me middle of the pack after both leading and then being bottom in different weeks. Truly a legacy.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Really solid down the standings the last few days there. Oof

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I hope to carve out a solid spot for myself in sekiwake a la Mitakeumi and this basho was a good start.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Congrats Banana Canada!

I can at least be happy the Yokogoona has stayed(?)/returned(?) to Canada.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Thanks again for all of your hard work Kenning!

I'm not sure if I 'pick' the guys who win the yusho/special prizes or luck into them but it makes such a huge difference in those final few days.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

I've registered another middling performance hurt by a very weak tachiai and a Takakeisho-like lack of stamina. Going to have to redouble my training efforts for next basho. Beyond thrilled that Tochinoshin got another KK though :unsmith:

Thank you very much for running fantasy sumo, Kenning! It was a blast as always! And big congrats to the winners!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Kenning posted:

I'm gonna be honest: I'm a little self-conscious about my spreadsheets. When I started out with fantasy I was mainly just using Excel as a place to take notes on a grid, and everything was manual and very visual in nature. This was fine enough when 8 people were playing. In the 5 years since I've learned a lot more about proper Excel design and taught myself some functions that make it possible to even run, but I've been meaning to rebuild my sheets from the ground up for a year or so since it's all just iterations on the initial sheet. I also do some hideous things with pivot tables in order to finish the drafting process. In fact, kyujo goon Beeswax hit me up about seeing my process at the end of the last basho and I very rudely never even responded to their PM (I was out of town preparing for a party at my mom's house and lost track of it, I beg apology).

I'd like to make it at least conceivable for fantasy to continue if I were to get hit by a bus, so I'll sit down and try to make up a clean template to share sometime in the next month or so, as well as preparing a sort of legend explaining what is happening in each relevant section so it might be easier to deconstruct and rebuild clean.

No prob Kenning, I've been in the same boat, looking at old spreadsheets that I'm still working off of and thinking that they need a good refresh. I was thinking about the process as I built myself a quick Google Sheet to track W/L and to easily keep track of my own points and then extended that thinking to how I would track a basho.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I'm proud to uphold the tradition of crashing and burning on my first trip to the upper ranks.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Gonna work out an Enho niche of being beloved for a mid juryo rikishi with spirit

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Continuing my place as Gnarkarafuji—never wowing, never failing (most recent basho excluded), just existing in the middle until the end of time. Very relieved to be there after a rough first half.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Marching Powder posted:

absolutely staggering that i posted a score above 50 when the first five-ish days were so abysmal.

I was right there with you. Really thought I was going to be in Juryo by the fall if I didn't pull out something in the last 3rd.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

My team had a strong start and a thoroughly mediocre middle third. Thankfully Sadanoumi lifted the rest of the team onto his shoulders and carried us all to a reasonably solid final score.

Thanks as always for running the basho, Kenning. I look forward to your spreadsheets being neater, tidier, and making less horrific abuse of pivot tables (which I do on my day-to-day way too often) for the good of your own sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Big thanks to Kenning for putting on the Fantasy Basho, as an extremely lazy person you always amaze me that you can do all you do.

After a bad start glad my group managed a mid table finish.