Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I forgot to bookmark this thread, but a comment on the latest Chris Sumo video just made me realize that the next basho starts not in 8 days, but tomorrow! Gonna sneak in and try to snatch the yusho last minute here.

Y/O: Hakuho/Takakeisho/Terunofuji
S/K: Mitakeumi/Wakatakakage/Meisei
M1-M5: Hoshoryu/Takanosho/Daieisho
M6-M10: Kiribayama/Tamawashi/Terutsuyoshi
M11+: Ura/Tokushoryu/Ichiyamamoto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Lid posted:

Out of curiousity i checked and yes a zensho-yusho has occured and did not lead to them beconing Yokozuna, it was Ozeki Wakashimazu.

The first full sumo basho I watched was Goeido's zensho-yusho. Talks of his potential yokozuna run sure did die down fast. :(

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Takuan posted:

So um... What was the deal with the fonts in today's Kintayama video?

It's font day!

It's just a thing that happens once every basho. Maybe to help him from going crazy when putting the vids together, or maybe to make certain viewers go crazy just 'cuz.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Four hours, and not a trace of sumo. Could've easily replaced the kabuki section with a sumo shout-out. At least there was surprise Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and Hiromi Uehara music. But still, what a letdown.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Mitakeumi
Takayasu
Meisei

M1-5:
Hoshoryu
Daieisho
Takanosho

M6-10:
Ura
Tobizaru
Aoiyama

M11+:
Kagayaki
Tsurugisho
Kotoeko

Aiming for a strong winning score to ascend to goonzekidom!

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Kenning posted:

Skjorte

Y/O: Terunofuji
S/K: Mitakeumi
M1-5: Hoshoryu
M5-10: Tobizaru
M11+: Kagayaki

Kenning posted:

Day 2 standings

Makuuchi

code:

4	Skjorte

I will not stand for having my historic ozeki run misrepresented!

(I should have; I think, 8 points after days 1 and 2)

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Also trading Hoshoryu for any of Kiribayama/Daieisho/Kotonowaka.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
If he had managed to get the surprise Royal Rumble elimination instead of only skinning the cat, that would've been the coolest ending to a day of sumo I've ever seen.

That + the big henka today are some of the most fun moments of the tournament so far.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Is there a channel that has historical basho in their entirety? I don’t mean historical like from the 1960s or anything, just basho going back before COVID. I got my friend into Sumo but he’s never seen a non-COVID basho with rowdy crowds and zabuton flying etc.

We usually synctube Natto every day of tournaments but I thought it would be fun to do a pre-COVID basho, one a day, if that were possible. If for no other reason than to kill time before banzuke.

Kintamayama's the OG. Checking his Youtube playlists (not sure if he has non-playlisted videos going back even further), his 10-15 minute upper division videos for most tournaments date back to May of 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwE6zSR6DFo

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
C'mere, goonzekidom! Usually there's all sorts of updates about wrestlers feeling healthier than ever, competing with a new couple of injuries, stubbing their toes, etc. going into a basho. Not sure I've ever felt this in the dark going into an event before, so I'm just gonna assume everyone is operating at peak performance.

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Kiribayama
Mitakeumi
Ichinojo

M1-5:
Hoshoryu
Takanosho
Takayasu

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Ura
Aoiyama

M11+:
Hokutofuji
Abi
Shohozan

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Ura's already 29 and change -- a smidge older than top division staples like Hokotufuji, Mitakeumi, and Ichinojou, and only a few months younger than fellow no-kneed-wonder Terunofuji. I hope he sticks around for a decade to do continue his dazzling deeds, but I'm savoring every tournament he's healthy enough to work his magic.

Awful -- 0-5 -- fantasy sumo day for me today. And just as my goonzeki dreams were on the cusp of coming true...

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Mitakeumi
Takanosho
Daieisho

M1-5:
Kiribayama
Ura
Wakatakakage

M6-10:
Hoshoryu
Abi
Takarafuji

M11+:
Ichiyamamoto
Kotonowaka
Chiyotairyu

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Y/O: Takakeisho
S/K: Mitakeumi
M1-5: Kiribayama
M6-10: Hoshoryu
M11+: Ichiyamamoto

Maigius posted:

At least I drafted the Yokozuna.

Well, you (like me!) drafted the guy that tends to lose to the yokozuna on the final day. The yokozuna was your last pick in the Y/O category!

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
My goonzeki debut sure has fallen flat -- Kiribayama, Ichiyamamoto, Takakeisho, and then Shodai all turned in performances unbecoming of not just goonzeki, but goonyaku in general! -- but dang, this basho has really had a lot of fun drama and performances both in and outside of the yusho race. In particular, it's been great seeing the Ishiura that amazed everyone in his makuuchi debut, back when he was by far the smallest guy in the field, finally show up again all these years later. There's even been glimpses of the Onosho that sprinted straight into sanyaku back when he arrived! And rooting for Mitakeumi and actually having him perform well in back to back bashos has been the rarest of treats.

I'm wondering, re: his hopes of becoming ozeki:

Since becoming ozeki (off of 32 wins!), Shodai has done better than Mitakeumi against the same opposition in 1 basho (going 11-4), tied with him in 1 basho, and gotten less wins than him in 6 bashos. Mitakeumi's also 5-1 in their last six head to head bouts, and clearly looked to have the higher ceiling for years. He's managed 7 tournaments in a row without a makekoshi in sanyaku. If Mitakeumi trips on a banana peel now and fails to become ozeki like his lesser rival, after all these years of looking like he might finally step up, it'd be tragic (and comical, and totally par for the course). Although even if he falters, he'll be in a strong position to continue his ozeki run in the following basho though, right? I forget how it works if they don't quite meet the criteria.

Actually, looking up Asanoyama just now 'cuz I can't remember if he shot to ozeki in a perfect 3-basho run (he did), he also got promoted after just 32 wins across 3 basho, with only the first one of those a runner-up spot (going 11-4). Is there a chance Mitakeumi's already cinched promotion, tomorrow's result notwithstanding? Shodai did get the yusho in the final leg of his ozeki run, but the first leg of it was a 8-7 (Mitakeumi's was 9-6, and I assume he's secured the jun-yusho? Or would he be considered third place if Abi wins tomorrow, and Mitakeumi loses both the 'official' final match and a play-off bout?)

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Not saying it was intentional, because if he hadn’t compressed it the opposite would have been true, but it was just funny how me and my friend were CERTAIN we had a playoff to watch and we freaked OUT when Mitakeumi won. So honestly it was way more surprising (and probably enjoyable) this way :haw:

Cool that they did that. Making the video of a potential play-off a set amount of length should be standard practice. I watch bashos via Kintamayama's videos and just try to be super careful to not look at the video length at any time, but I've always thought making the videos longer would save the viewer from potentially having stuff spoiled.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I'm excited for the final fantasy standings.

All grumpy old men agree that there will be no salary for XIII.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
With Mitakeumi also testing positive right after going to back-to-back intai ceremonies, this might end up a real rough month for the sumo community. Hopefully everyone catches mild cases and rest up well.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Y/O:
Mitakeumi
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Takanosho
Abi

M1-5:
Tamawashi
Kiribayama
Meisei

M6-10:
Kotonowaka
Takayasu
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Kotoshoho
Chiyotairyu
Terutsuyoshi

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Should've had a matta today when poor Ura was attacked by a swarm of bees mid-tachiai.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
It's been real nostalgic to be able to root against Takayasu this basho. Couldn't do it when he was clearly struggling and not what he once was, so seeing him perform like a tippy-top guy again has been a treat. ... Still, even I couldn't help but root for him to finally win the big one. Didn't think we'd get the play-off after Abi ran him over, but was very pleasantly surprised. Takayasu even went for something akin to his old, most-violent-in-class tachiai against Wakatakakage! Vintage bridesmaid performance by the big man.

Last basho was pretty wild and unpredictable, but this one might've been the biggest nail-biter I've seen so far. Shame Teuronofuji had to pull out, and the top division was overall a bit short on the kind of pizazz and rare maneuevers we usually get from guys like Ura, Terutsuyoshi, Enho, Ishiura, etc. (and I only remember 1 spectacular henka, of course performed by Chiyoshouma), but the embarrassment of riches in terms of intriguing storylines and down-to-the-wire 7-7 match-ups on the final day more than made up for it.z

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Kenning posted:

code:
68.5	Teddybear
65	sivad
64.5	Takuan
61	anakha
60	MyChemicalImbalance
59	captainblastum
58.5	Beeswax
58.5	Netsky
56	Eli949
55.5	Marching Powder
54.5	Banana Canada
54.5	GoatSeeGuy
54.5	scripterror
54.5	Skjorte

Eek! I thought my never-ending goonzeki run was sure to be over when I saw I was ranked fifth on the penultimate day of the basho and ended day 15 3-2 with 1 makekoshi, but also 1 kachikoshi and 1 technique prize. I shall never forgive Wakatakakage for this...

Thanks a bunch for running it, though! Made an exceptionally fun basho even more fun.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Kenning posted:

code:

Ozeki	
GoatSeeGuy		1	Banana Canada
Tiny Bug Child		2	sivad
Skjorte			3

Also entering the exalted goonzeki rank are Skortje and sivad, who both put up excellent results on the back of strong recent performance to gain promotion to the highest rank.

I will strive for results worthy of the goonzeki rank as I continue to employ my style of fantasy sumo!

--

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Mitakeumi

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Abi
Daieisho

M1-5:
Kiribayama
Kotonowaka
Takayasu

M6-10:
Ura
Terutsuyoshi
Wakamotoharu

M11+:
Midorifuji
Meisei
Chiyoshouma

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

some kinda jackal posted:

That's some early Ura poo poo right there...

Ura almost pulled that exact thing off a basho or two ago. Unfortunately for him, it was against Terunofuji, so all he got for his crazy 'landing on his feet' survival tactics was a slightly delayed loss.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Takakeisho got robbed in a major way today. Wakatakage's hand touched down a second or two before the finish without anyone noticing.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

whats for dinner posted:

was the argument just that the tops of Tobizaru's toes touched the dohyo around the same time shodai hit the clay? 'cause that's hilarious if so

I thought it was a blatant robbery on first watch, but yeah, this has to be the case. And it's a completely legitimate argument. They actually got that one right.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Tochinoshin did win that one when it really counted, at the height of his run, despite being like 1-20 (or at least having an almost hopelessly lopsided record) against Hakuho. Hakuho took him on in a straight on belt battle and resisted pretty dang well as I recall.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji
Mitakeumi

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Daieisho
Wakatakakage

M1-5:
Kiribayama
Kotonowaka
Takanosho

M6-10:
Meisei
Tobizaru
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Onosho
Midorifuji
Takarafuji

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

bartolimu posted:

I never expected Yutakayama to pull of a win against Oho, but he did, in one of the best fights of the day. Very proud of my boy. Yutaka special prize basho???

Although him and Asanoyana didn't manage to keep the momentum going immediately after their big breakout basho very early on, that one month made them seem destined for the sanyaku, and like the most promising pair of rivals since Mitakeumi and Shodai. ... The fact that Yutakayama has since been chronically stuck at the bottom of the top division, giving 110% in absolute wars of attrition -- mostly against guys it seemed like he would blow past in no time when he first burst onto the scene -- is so weird. Especially because he keeps losing these wars, and always ends up looking like he's had his heart broken. I dunno if it's nerves, nagging injuries, or if his physical attributes are just way worse than they look, but I'm continually surprised by his consistent inability to progress. Hoping he manages to sneak in a W over Asanoyama before he inevitably laps him again...

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Love Shodai's bizarre ozeki saga. We're witnessing the stuff of legends...

Speaking of bizarre -- Chris Sumo's latest video ends with him updating us on the "mood" of the crowd, which he reports as being rattled by shock and disappointment at things like wrestler pullouts and no longer being allowed to sit and eat inside the arena. He's also confused by the idea of isolating, since the wrestlers are all vaccinated. Sure wish there were other English-speaking people based in Japan willing and able to dedicate every waking hour to sumo-related stuff, because seeing stuff from alternate angles and hearing news/interview snippets is neat, but I don't think I can tolerate giving his channel more views at this point.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Helianthus Annuus posted:

I haven't seen him cross the line like Kitanowaka did in juryo on day 14. He tried to shove Atamifuji off the dohyo after he had already clearly beaten him! And when the gyoji announced his victory, he was still too busy staring daggers to karate chop the air (as is the custom), and he just stood up and walked off unceremoniously. I don't get it, being a sore winner is NOT good sumo, especially as he had just gotten kachi-koshi -- WTF is his problem?

I only saw this because NHK padded out the highlights with a few juryo matches, but I'll be looking forward to watching him eat clay if he makes it to the top division.

I only skimmed through juryo a few times this basho, but I also caught this. Immediately landed Kitanowaka on my otherwise-empty "sure hope this guy doesn't win too much" list. Perhaps he was annoyed by the tachiai gamesmanship -- Atamifuji put one hand down and then seemed to expect Kitanowaka to put both of his down before he'd put his other one down... though, after a restart, it eventually ended up going the other way -- but the late shove and post-match staredown (seconds after Atamifuji had bowed deeply and started to walk away) were way unwarranted.

Barring injury or incident, I expect we'll see them both in makuuchi before they're even close to their mid-20s, so hopefully they go on to continue their rivalry in the top division, with Atamifuji finding a way to dunk on Kitanowaka when it really counts.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Lemme get that, uhh, black metal Hakuho shirt? Yeah, thanks.

Haha, I would love that. If anything, that one's probably less silly than the Immortal shirt I do own.

Mekchu posted:

How would you make a sumo video game in terms of gameplay mechanics.

I think they already nailed this in the N64 era, with the surprisingly fun and in-depth 64 Ōzumō (and its sequel, maybe. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks similar to the first one, which I tried and had a good time with a few years ago). It's framed with a very light story/romance element, but is mostly a basic sumo simulator where you can choose to spend points on various attributes, moves to hit from specific positions, etc., and then you work your way up the banzuke. The fights are pretty fast and lets you attempt various techniques depending on the direction you're going in, which moves you've unlocked/specialized, how strong your opponent is, etc. I don't think it exists in English, but I'd imagine it'd still be a pretty fun novelty game even if you don't understand a word of it. I'm pretty sure I never quite got the hang of exactly how the fighting system worked, but it made for fun nail-biters all the way through!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL3zq7Ifqyo

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Personally I just play E. Honda in Street Fighter V.

I downloaded SF5 during its free trial thingy a few weeks back to just play Honda for a while. Ganryu from Tekken is my favorite sumo wrestler in games, though. Mainly because he has like 100 moves, like all Tekken characters. And then there's Taka-Arashi from Virtua Fighter, who's probably the best/most accurate representation of sumo in a fighting game.

One of the way-back-in-the-day versions of King of Fighter (I think) also had a sumo practitioner, though she was a school girl. Can't believe they stopped highlighting sumo for self-defense by never bringing that character back...

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
:( I kept putting my "make a team" day off and just realized I missed the deadline entirely. I will accept my punis--wait, exercise my goonzeki privileges to kick my feet up for a coupla months before kadobaning it in November (though if it's still possible for me to be assigned a team comprising day-1 losers and/or random rejects, I'd be all over that option).

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Beeswax posted:

Kenning has stated that late entries will be accepted, you'll just be kyujo on day 1. Get your picks in!

Eek! Thank you -- I didn't read the thread past the "last call for entries!" since I wanted to watch the matches unspoiled.

Having now done so, here's a slightly reconfigured version of my July picks, moving all the day 1 losers to the top where possible (+ replacing Teru with Shodai). Hopefully my lack of goonzeki gusto leading into this basho will be forgiven as I attempt to combine my usual style of sumo with a display of contrition.

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Mitakeumi
Shodai

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama
Daieisho

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Midorifuji
Meisei

M6-10:
Onosho
Hokutofuji
Takanosho

M11+:
Ryuden
Kotoshoho
Yutakayama

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Mitakeumi's been an (inconsistent) ozeki in everything but title for years, able to beat everyone on his day, consistently getting his KK, and turning in an annual pair of double-digit, yusho-contending performances, all while in sanyaku. Sad to see him experiencing his first full-on slump so soon after making ozeki, but if it's an injury thing, at least he's still on the right side of 30 to eventually recover and find his footing near the top of the sport again.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Nativity In Black posted:

Not sure if spoilers but, isn't that basically guaranteed at this point with the MK today?

In case a kadoban ozeki gets more losses than wins and is demoted to sekiwake, they have the chance to secure an immediate repromotion if they deliver 10 or more wins as a kadoban-ozeki-turned-sekiwake. I remember Tochinoshin managing to pull this off, but I can't remember if we've seen it since.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I thought he wasn’t kadoban this basho because he was out last time due to a positive in his heya

He's actually on a(n unprecedented?) kadoban run going all the way back to May!

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Although it looks like my tournament picks didn't get registered, I think my "ah well, just gimme the people that look like they're gonna have a bad time" choices ended up doing far better than if I'd tried to strategize. Fun basho overall (at least up to and including sekiwake); really happy to see the winner get the dub several years removed from being considered a top contender.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Mitakeumi
Tamawashi

M1-5:
Kotonowaka
Ura
Wakamotoharu

M6-10:
Abi
Takanosho
Aoiyama

M11+:
Atamifuji
Ichiyamamoto
Chiyotairyu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

He didn't though and now that he's thirty-one he probably never will because he's only got a few more years left. Few people can be Tamawashi, the Carl Ripken Jr. of the sumo world and show up every day and wrestle into their late thirties and possibly into his forties.

Abi's only 28. His COVID shenanigans permanently soured me on him as someone I'd ever root for, but I think y'all are selling him a bit short. The only reason he's at maegashira #9 is because he had to sit the last one out. Prior to that, he seemed to like he might have occupied the main event joker-type role that pre-yusho Tamawashi did some years ago, where he rarely won enough to be considered part of the yusho race, but nevertheless usually won just enough at the top level to remain inside or quickly get back to sanyaku. His style is too inconsistent to reliably guarantee him wins over anyone, but since returning from suspension he's proven to be a legit threat to the top contenders: he's 2-2 against Terunofuji in exciting and chaotic bouts, he's dominated Takakeisho at basically every turn, he's currently on a 2-bout win streak over Mitakeumi after having really struggled with him in past year, and... well, Shodai's beaten him 4 times in 4 different ways in their past 4 encounters, but that's the erratic force meeting the capricious object.

I think he'll make it back to sanyaku and continue to cause havoc in the near future.

Speaking of uniquely unpredictable styles, check out this awesome throwback fight in Kintamayama's video from today. Big fan of Terutsuyoshi's salt toss and Takayasu's signature pose, but having a character like Robocop around seems like it was a blast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fa0CwdYpAU&t=415s