Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m going to call out two more podcasts that you might want to add to the OP:

Sumo Mainichi: https://sumomainichi.podbean.com/

Delightful podcast run by Dave and Amy from Australia. My favourite of all the Sumo pods just because of the personalities involved. Typically produce banzuke and pre-basho episodes, as well as a good 30-50 minute episode every day of the tournament. The charm can’t be overstated, this is easily my favourite sumo podcast and often threatens some others for “favourite podcast” title overall. The banzuke episode never fails to remind me that SUMO’S A COMIN’!

Sumo Kaboom: https://sumokaboom.fireside.fm/

Another lighthearted pod run by two sisters from Texas. Laurie and Leslie typically do a group recap episode every three or four days of the tournament, but they also run content non-stop between tournaments. They’ve snagged some pretty impressive guests (John Gunning, Konishiki) for live interviews, and they do theme episodes discussing various aspects of Sumo or things sumo-adjacent.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apropos of nothing, I watched Sumo-do at the Toronto Japanese Film Festival.

A Japanese film from 2020 that followed Goeido and Ryuuden during a tournament, and I think some other bits of flavour. I thought it was really neat to see a little more behind the scenes stuff than you normally do, and it was fun to watch rikishi being human, but ultimately I thought the movie was a little wandering and I felt like I was checking my watch about 3/4 of the way through. I’d still give it a recommendation if you’re a die hard sumo fan because .. well hey, it’s sumo content.

I’d completely forgotten Goeido once he retired so it was kind of neat to see him again. The bits with Ryuuden and his wife were cute.

So I dunno, if you get the chance and have an hour and change to spare, go for it.

Also, just realized I’ve been skimming the new thread title incorrectly. I thought it said “huge men, massive tits” and I’m not sure it would have been incorrect.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

pseudodragon posted:

This probably plays differently now than it did when the film was released (or even like 3 months ago).

lol yes I was just thinking that when watching it. Was the whole affair thing confirmed or is that still speculation? I can't keep my sumo scandals straight anymore. Last I remember reading he was forcing someone to have an abortion or something?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Were you say BOO or BOO-den?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hidenoumi just looks like an asian Dan Aykroyd

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hope everyone who's getting into the sport remembers that you're totally allowed to think it looks ridiculous and silly as hell. We all did. We still do.

I dare anyone who saw Akiseyama for the first time say with a straight face that they didn't lol at his "shopping bag full of loose cottage cheese" physique. I dare you!

I love Akiseyama, that glorious lumpy bastard!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chiyomaru is the maruest of the chiyos

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mods??!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Going to be interesting to see what happens to Hakuho now more than ever. He’s been pining to do the opening ceremonies in the Olympics so it would be super weird for him to withdraw due to “injury” and then go do a dohyo-iri or something a week later on national TV. Hopefully he’s not injured and competes to the last day but if he does get tweaked or starts to approach some kind of yokozuna-makekoshi of like 5 losses things GON GET SPICY

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean who knows. He’s obviously closer to retirement than not but if he were to go 15-0 with another yusho and he feels good I’m not sure he’s got any actual pressure to retire as long as he’s delivering the goods.

Smart money is on yes, but I guess it all depends on how he does this basho.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I only have the fake printed Takayasu tegata, mainly because as much as I love Sumo the price on the authentic ones is JUST out of impulse-buy range. Of course having said that, it’ll be way more out of impulse buy range the longer I wait given Takayasu isn’t getting any younger so I really should bite the bullet.

E: But I mean I somehow had no problem paying $150 to have Tochinoshin’s death mask shipped to Canada so what am I even doing with priorities??

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do they sell authentic tegata at the Kokugikan or the little outdoor market they have on the way to the train station, or are they only available if you know someone? I could have sworn all the tegata I saw for sale inside were the re-print kind.

I think that’ll be the souvenir I aim for if I go next May.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Time to make my triumphant return to Goonuuchi

Y/O: Terunofuji / Hakuho / Takakeisho
S/K: Wakatakakage / Meisei / Mitakeumi
M1-M5: Tobizaru / Takanosho / Chiyotairyu
M6-M10: Aoiyama / Takarafuji / Kiribayama
M11+: Chiyomaru / Tokoshoryu / Ura

Also FYI you have Takanosho at both S and M2 in your listing

E: Beaten on Takanosho

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 2, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Time to make my triumphant return to Goonuuchi

Y/O: Terunofuji / Hakuho / Takakeisho
S/K: Takayasu / Wakatakakage / Meisei
M1-M5: Tobizaru / Takanosho / Chiyotairyu
M6-M10: Aoiyama / Takarafuji / Kiribayama
M11+: Chiyomaru / Tokoshoryu / Ura

I actually like pseudodragon’s idea of talking away your picks so:

Y/O: Even with Hakuho in, that’s maybe what, one loss on Teru’s record? He’s still got the goods to challenge or surpass a returning Hakuho.
S/K: This is all about fun for me. Takayasu’s my boy and Wakatakage is a blast to watch. Meisei I’m indifferent about but I had to pick someone.
M1-5: Another “guys I like” which shouldn’t be conflated with “guys I think are the best pick for the position”. This is probably a poo poo way to pick a winning team but I’ll be damned if I don’t go out of my way to root for the MONKEY
M6-10: This one was a tossup except for AOIYAMA. I have no real affinity for most of the guys in here.
11+: More loveable big boys

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Said it before and I’ll say it again: It’s going to be so weird if he has to pull out but then turn around and do the dohyo-iri at the olympics. Where optics are concerned he’s kind of between a rock and a hard place. He can’t pull out to avoid a Yokozuna-makekoshi citing injury and then go stomping around on his supposedly lovely knee in front of a world audience without being (rightfully) called out on it. So if he does stink up the ring I can’t see him staying in to a losing record. And I guess the worst case scenario would be that he actually DOES gently caress up his knee and CAN’T do the opening ceremonies.

I kind of see anything short of a dominating performance playing out as a withdrawal due to an unrelated injury like tweaked back or something, announcing his retirement effective the end of the Olympics or something, then going out and doing the opening ceremony. Alternately if there’s some technicality where he can’t do Yokozuna stuff after announcing intention to retire, then just announce that after the Olympics end.

Or option two I guess is “gently caress the NSK and YDC” and just pull out, do the olympics, and compete in September until they pull him from the hanamichi with one of those old vaudeville canes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I think ultimately maybe that’s why I think it’s a bad look to withdraw and turn around and go do the opening ceremonies. The fact that it’s so close to the basho is just what makes it. I guess, yes, you could say “his knee was bad and render him noncompetitive in an actual bout but not bad enough to prevent him from doing dohyo-iri” and it may even be the truth but the optics just feel like he’s thumbing his nose at the NSK by doing things “his way” again.

But those guys already don’t seem to like him so probably yeah you’re right, he’ll just withdraw and do the ceremonies anyway and they’ll wag their fingers and demand his resignation which he will and we’ll forget all about it because he was still the greatest yokozuna there was.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is why I love watching the top division time shifted on my grey market Japanese IPTV feed. Just two hours on NHK.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

I just got around to watching Enho's. Take the translation with a grain of salt. Many of the subtitles are inaccurate: he wants to be able to fillet a lot of fish, not sell it; he cooks Hamburg steak--like Salisbury steak--not hamburgers; he stretches first thing in the morning--he doesn't take it easy). This is Kintamayama's shtick, to some extent.

So Teru was misquoted when he said “Terumania’s runnin’ wild BROTHA!”?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sigh, replaced my favourite guy :(

(Thanks for the heads up though)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gonna be funny when Hakuho drops out and someone else tweaks something and we’re all literally adding the same two guys.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

YES

I got Wakatakakage, Tobizaru, AOIYAMA, AND Chiyomaru!!This is dream team poo poo right here.

I mean also Takakeisho I guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brut posted:

Sumo is live!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was a really good day and I reminded my friend who I was simul-streaming with that this may be the last basho we get to see Hakuho's dohyo-iri.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also requesting to trade Takakeisho for Teru/Hak/Shodai. That sucked. As if I needed yet another reason to hate Ichinojo

Brutal day.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In better news, notable hairy bear Takayasu is back from kyujo tomorrow.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

anakha posted:

It looks like the injury was to Keisho's arm/elbow. Given how aggressive his tachiai usually is, I don't think this is really Itchy's fault.

Hey hey hey now, my irrational dislikes doesn’t listen to logic :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need Wakatakakage to run the table from here on out :mad:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually agree -- maybe it would make sense to combine Y/O, S/K into just Sanyaku for subsequent basho for the time being? Especially Hak retires and we don't see any new Ozeki. Pretty thin pool. Might get thinner if Takakeisho's injury is bad enough

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Today I woke up dead set on trading ~~~ AOIYAMA ~~~ but then I see he goes and finally wins again.

He's just loving with me now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I, too, am cursed with talented losers :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NuclearPotato posted:

While we eagerly await the start of Day 6 action, have some photos of wrestlers getting COVID shots to tide you over: https://twitter.com/aryaryagi/status/1413054102670438407

400lb men crashing into each other’s faces with the momentum of a freight train: A-ok!
Tiny needle: I’m dyin!

:q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh totally. I’m being facetious but also not facetious at the same time ;)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My team is doing a suck but somehow I ended up with Hakuho so he's pulling things along I guess. I can't think of any better rikishi to trade for, and even if I did I'm pretty sure they'd all immediately start to tank so I'll stay the course with Chiyo and AOIYAMA. Not that Wakatakage or Tobizaru are having an outstanding basho either.

At the same time I COULD be doing a LOT worse so I guess I'll be OK.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Terunofuji does a shitload of heavy weight lifting, including 600kg leg presses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaTjkX_vHbY

Um :actually: I think you’ll find they’re nothing more than really fat men in diapers :smug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Next time I say "I'm sticking with the guys I got" remind me how badly it's turning out for me right now.

Martytoof posted:

YES

I got Wakatakakage, Tobizaru, AOIYAMA, AND Chiyomaru!!This is dream team poo poo right here.

I mean, I'm still technically correct inasmuch as nightmares are a TYPE of dream :|

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm glad Takayasu is holding his own and I credit it entirely to the fact that I didn't pick him up for fantasy the second he came back.

@kenning, remind me what event prompts a .5 on the fantasy scoring chart?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu has Tobizaru tomorrow. Hasn't Tobi wrecked Takayasu in the last two? I mean, he's kind of not doing great right now so I still have hope that Tak can lay him down even if it is another L for my team.

Kenning posted:

A score of X.5 is the result of a penalty. The most common penalty is -0.5 points if any of your rikishi (or any rikishi you traded away) get a make-koshi. You also get a -0.5 penalty for making a second trade (first trade is free). Every trade after 2 is -1, but that's pretty rare as you can imagine.

Roger dodger! Thank you sir :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Takayasu just needs 3 wins from the next 4 bouts to make it back to Ozeki. I was skeptical that he could ever do it again after he made it back to Komusubi, then Sekiwake, but by god I think the madman could actually do it.

Typical performance requirements are 33 over 3 basho, he went 10, 10, so he’d need 13 here which is mathematically impossible given his score :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Teru is so dominant that he made his last two matches look like the other rikishi were throwing the match lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Omnikin posted:

so ready for 14-0 vs 14-0. There's no way they would put them earlier in the tourney, right?

buddy let me tell you about past basho

(but I hope you're right)