Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jazerus posted:

ah, hmmmmm, well, to make a very, very long story short; you pick a good base material (metal for a sword, wood for a bow, etc.) and then hammer elemental coins and ancillary stuff like crystals into it to boost its stats. there are a bunch of weird things and special attacks you can unlock with some items hammered into the right weapon but at its most basic it's just about the elemental affinities

Guess I need to get some elemental coins then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Guess I need to get some elemental coins then.

Yeah basically. Gold coins are stronger than Silver coins. The more total elemental levels there are on your weapon, the more Attack it'll have, but certain elemental pairs oppose each other;
Wisp and Shade, Gnome and Jinn, Salamander and Undine, and Dryad and Aura do not cooperate very well unless you do this weird trick with Chaos Crystals that I forget how it works but it lets the opposing element pairs coexist on gear.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Yeah basically. Gold coins are stronger than Silver coins. The more total elemental levels there are on your weapon, the more Attack it'll have, but certain elemental pairs oppose each other;
Wisp and Shade, Gnome and Jinn, Salamander and Undine, and Dryad and Aura do not cooperate very well unless you do this weird trick with Chaos Crystals that I forget how it works but it lets the opposing element pairs coexist on gear.

the card from the crystal, while it exists on the item, simply allows elemental affinities to rise regardless of what is already on the item. so you get either 3 or 4 forges where you can just, say, stack up jinn even if the item has tons of gnome, and then you have to put another crystal in. depending on a bunch of weird stuff like materials, day of the week, etc. you might also experience levels being drained from one affinity to another, which can boost an affinity even if the opposing affinity exists iirc. mostly dryad on wood

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Also if you want to leave the ship you have to tell the captain you don't like his ship.

The sole flaw in an otherwise-perfect game.

All you need for crafting is to take your strongest material, make the weapon/armor of your choice, and just hammer a bunch of random poo poo into it until you get bored.

If you want to learn what to actually do when crafting, good loving luck. Even the long-rear end guide on GameFAQs is probably missing a bunch of stuff, and a lot of information was only found out from bits and pieces translated from the Ultimania guide. Also getting a god-tier weapon will require massive element grinding and/or multiple playthroughs for rare items. Crafting is insane, and part of the game’s charm is just how obtuse this one system is, as well as how you never need to deal with 95% of it.

e: Also there’s a comprehensive system for raising pets (with a lot of min-maxing since you have to feed them after every level if you’re obsessive enough) and for building golems, and the end result is something that pretends to help as you rain down death with your god sword or whatever weapon you like (I’m 1H Sword forever, shields are sick in this game). It’s funny the simplest thing to build, magical instruments, is also the worst thing since magic takes up ST slots and is capped to be pretty drat weak, even before factoring in how slow magic is. Weapon ST’s outclass magic to a ridiculous extent, especially when paired with specific characters.

The whole gameplay system is unbalanced and esoteric and incredibly stupid and still part of why this dumb game is my favorite game. The option to disable encounters is the second-best added feature after the remastered music.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 25, 2021

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Mega64 posted:

All you need for crafting is to take your strongest material, make the weapon/armor of your choice, and just hammer a bunch of random poo poo into it until you get bored.

If you want to learn what to actually do when crafting, good loving luck. Even the long-rear end guide on GameFAQs is probably missing a bunch of stuff, and a lot of information was only found out from bits and pieces translated from the Ultimania guide. Also getting a god-tier weapon will require massive element grinding and/or multiple playthroughs for rare items. Crafting is insane, and part of the game’s charm is just how obtuse this one system is, as well as how you never need to deal with 95% of it.

I no-joke spent a long time making a 999 power hammer out of I think Dior Wood and a bunch of other crazy poo poo following a guide once. Would I do it again? Maybe, if only for sheer novelty value.

I might need to anyway if I decide to play No Future Mode. Hooray, rocket tag!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Mega64 posted:

The whole gameplay system is unbalanced and esoteric and incredibly stupid and still part of why this dumb game is my favorite game. The option to disable encounters is the second-best added feature after the remastered music.

I'm really glad they took some of the fun things out lom combat and put it into the trials remake. There is something fun about the combat to me, even with the jankiness of only being able to attack left and right. It's a lot of fun to roll around and fire arrows at rabites

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I'm really glad they took some of the fun things out lom combat and put it into the trials remake. There is something fun about the combat to me, even with the jankiness of only being able to attack left and right. It's a lot of fun to roll around and fire arrows at rabites

The most fun thing to do in this game is learn the Grapple ability and suplex everything.

SUPLEX. EVERYTHING.

gently caress I need to buy this when I get home.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There’s special moves you can only use by crafting specific items in specific orders on your weapon of choice.

Of course, you never need to bother with any of that. I still consider this a feature, not a game design mistake.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Mega64 posted:

There’s special moves you can only use by crafting specific items in specific orders on your weapon of choice.

Of course, you never need to bother with any of that. I still consider this a feature, not a game design mistake.

Grapple isn't one of those special moves though. it's just one of the moves you can learn by practicing your other moves (like Push and Dodge and Spin and whatever) and learning enough.

And the moves aren't even necessary, but they're there and you can learn them anyway.

God I love this game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
As fun as LoM can be, if the mechanics were any more obscured the game would have to be called SaGa of Mana.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Evil Fluffy posted:

As fun as LoM can be, if the mechanics were any more obscured the game would have to be called SaGa of Mana.

It IS by Kawazu.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

They renamed “Virgin’s Sigh” to “Damsel’s Sigh”. How sex-positive of the game with an implied relationship between an onion knight and a sentient teapot!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

and this is a bad thing?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mega64 posted:

They renamed “Virgin’s Sigh” to “Damsel’s Sigh”. How sex-positive of the game with an implied relationship between an onion knight and a sentient teapot!

lots of languages have words that are sort of ambiguous between "virgin" and "young woman", especially in archaic uses--e.g., english "maiden". Japanese is no exception, with shoujo and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the word used there and the translation was always kind of wonky

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Mega64 posted:

You can't tell me you wouldn't wanna fill that teapot.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

My personal favorite weapons are spear and two-handed axe. I tend to start with the spear, and later switch between both of them, depending on mood. Most of my time is spend using the spear, simply because the main character just has so much fun twirling that spear around, and it's equally fun to just watch her go (impale a rabbite)

Though the axe is hilarious. It just mows down entire rows of mooks all at once, it has a hitbox the size of New Jersey. :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

What the hell happened to Tonpole?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Man I haven't played this game since release. It looks incredible on Switch.
Already like 4 hours in.

e: one question. if i take one of the sorcerers do i miss out on quests? Or will it let me boot them if I need a new companion?

Barreft fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 25, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Barreft posted:

Man I haven't played this game since release. It looks incredible on Switch.
Already like 4 hours in.

e: one question. if i take one of the sorcerers do i miss out on quests? Or will it let me boot them if I need a new companion?

Any companion you pick up, from anywhere in the world, will depart back from whence they came once you go back inside your house. You have a lot of options (most of whom are part of quests but will happily accompany you on other quests if those quests don't have a mandated partner).

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

Any companion you pick up, from anywhere in the world, will depart back from whence they came once you go back inside your house. You have a lot of options (most of whom are part of quests but will happily accompany you on other quests if those quests don't have a mandated partner).

Yeah the mandated partner is what I mean. I'm only talking the two sorcerers since I can pick one up in my house and helps me kill things.

But if running with them will have me missing actual partner quests as I'm just running through zones? Because then I'll go solo so I don't miss any.

Does that make sense? Sorry obtuse game at times

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Loving how many PS1 JRPGs are getting remasters. There are so many amazing retro inspired indie games these days, but nothing seems to quite recapture the unique ambitious experimentation of PS1 JRPGs

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Barreft posted:

Yeah the mandated partner is what I mean. I'm only talking the two sorcerers since I can pick one up in my house and helps me kill things.

But if running with them will have me missing actual partner quests as I'm just running through zones? Because then I'll go solo so I don't miss any.

Does that make sense? Sorry obtuse game at times

You won't miss any; I think they'll just say something like "oh, I see you already have someone with you; maybe later."

There are more quests without a mandated partner than with them, and I don't think anything is missable except a few quests you can only get by getting extremely specific mana levels on certain lands that you probably will never see without a guide.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

You won't miss any; I think they'll just say something like "oh, I see you already have someone with you; maybe later."

There are more quests without a mandated partner than with them, and I don't think anything is missable except a few quests you can only get by getting extremely specific mana levels on certain lands that you probably will never see without a guide.

Alright thanks!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bought the remaster for my wife. When we started dating, she would come to my house and hang out while i played games. This game was the one where she took over, and she would stay over on weekends so she could keep playing it. She was so happy to hear it was remastered.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

Bought the remaster for my wife. When we started dating, she would come to my house and hang out while i played games. This game was the one where she took over, and she would stay over on weekends so she could keep playing it. She was so happy to hear it was remastered.

Has she seen it yet?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Snake Maze posted:

If you mean sailing around to trigger quests, you’re probably meant to just sail randomly and stumble across them. But the sea is only a 5x5 grid (you can tell where you are by the helmsman’s dialogue, each square has a different line) so it’s pretty easy to just methodically sweep across until you find everything.

I just experimented a lot with it and none of this seems to be true. At least, the unique lines aren't true. And I'm not convinced the grid is, either.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I gotta say, the jungle loving sucked. Running around trying to find the exact room to trigger the next event was dumb as hell. I’m thankful for the ability to turn off encounters (even though one encounter still triggered lol)

The worst thing was you have to tell both of the doofuses that you will help them before you can trigger the boss fight. That took me a while to figure out while I wandered aimlessly. Also gently caress faeries.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

cheetah7071 posted:

I just experimented a lot with it and none of this seems to be true. At least, the unique lines aren't true. And I'm not convinced the grid is, either.

It was at one point at least. It's possible it has changed, they updated the localization maybe they messed it up.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/256525-legend-of-mana/faqs/7998

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

cheetah7071 posted:

:shrug: It definitely seems to be true for me. I can go west and then east and he'll repeat himself, I can go west 5 times and he'll start repeating himself, the map from gamefaqs still seems to match up with what I'm seeing

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I gotta say, the jungle loving sucked. Running around trying to find the exact room to trigger the next event was dumb as hell. I’m thankful for the ability to turn off encounters (even though one encounter still triggered lol)

The worst thing was you have to tell both of the doofuses that you will help them before you can trigger the boss fight. That took me a while to figure out while I wandered aimlessly. Also gently caress faeries.

The turtle guy even tells you what you gotta do.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Casnorf posted:

The turtle guy even tells you what you gotta do.

Nah that’s the lake, I’m talking about the jungle where the two guys are trying to kill something for its tail so they can pay off some debt to Mr. fuddy duddy.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Yeah, different turtle. Unless I am misremembering the guy. At the king's throne.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Mega64 posted:

shoulndt have put those cocacapys in the feedbox

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Casnorf posted:

Yeah, different turtle. Unless I am misremembering the guy. At the king's throne.

He’s not a turtle but yeah he gave vague instructions.

Also,

Duda gak bubu.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Duda gak bubu.

:mods:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

Tonpole has seen some poo poo, man.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I loved this game so I am pretty hype to mess up my stats by equipping the wrong weapons and failing to finish the Jumi questline because I placed my artifacts wrong again.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Duda gak bubu.

GAK!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Dada Dadda?