Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Plane swalking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Please don't use tele-ports 44 thru 666, the last wizard came through all scrambled.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR4uhGdS5Uc

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Myomancy or bust

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

only d4 hit dice, no thanks

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiberius Christ posted:

only d4 hit dice, no thanks

No one said you had to be a 3e wizard, that's dumb. 5e wizards get d6s.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's all very clear what the differences between a summoner vs necromancer vs diviner vs enchanter etc etc are, but can someone break down sorcerer vs wizard vs magician for me?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's all very clear what the differences between a summoner vs necromancer vs diviner vs enchanter etc etc are, but can someone break down sorcerer vs wizard vs magician for me?

Sorry, you have to be the 8th son of an 8th son to be a sourcerer. You either are or you aren't.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Is that like an English version?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

my outlook and faxes used to, but no longer, get along. I can still get into the faxes but in order to do so I must enact a ritual as well:

1. open the fax folder. Outlook will tell me there is nothing to see.
2. right click the fax folder and select Properties. Outlook will act as if it is working to do this, then die.
3. restart Outlook, and reopen the fax folder. Outlook will now do the computer program equivalent of rolling its eyes back in its head, twisting its neck until it's facing backwards, and so on
4. wait this out. eventually the folder will load in and actually display faxes. there will be a wait of at least 15-30 seconds before any of them open though while Outlook half-asses the demonic possession/overly dramatic baby routine again

fortunately I work in fedgov so even though I'm a call center rep generally nobody expects things to work smoothly anyway, and the overly dramatic baby routine never takes longer than it would have taken to get a fax in the first place

Your localapp cache for outlook is corrupt or the fax-add on it uses is hosed up.

It happens all the God drat time with these fax add ons.

Delete your local app cache and/or disable the add-on in outlook. Restart outlook. Re-enable it. Restart outlook.

If you cannot do these things call IT and tell them "gently caress YOU is what the problem is that's what I want you to do for me" and it WILL fix it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

oh, sorry - *waves computer wizard fingers*
I have spent literally years fixing that loving problem for people in a previous life. It should take IT like 5-10 minutes even if they have to re-install the add-on

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 2, 2021

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
i cast magic missile

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Wizard: Hopeless nerd who needs to rely on books and knowledge to cast magic. Probably all white haired and crusty.

Sorcerer: Your great grandfather was a dragon who had a human fetish. You don't need to know anything to cast the spell, you just loving do it. Not needing to sit in a library for decades means you have more time to actually enjoy being magical

Magician. Some rear end in a top hat with card tricks.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

You forgot MINDFREAK

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
also im a psyker not a 'wizard'

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

can someone break down sorcerer vs wizard vs magician for me?

these are levels of magical power. Wizard is the top

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'm a manwitch

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Deki posted:

Wizard: Hopeless nerd who needs to rely on books and knowledge to cast magic. Probably all white haired and crusty.

Sorcerer: Your great grandfather was a dragon who had a human fetish. You don't need to know anything to cast the spell, you just loving do it. Not needing to sit in a library for decades means you have more time to actually enjoy being magical

Magician. Some rear end in a top hat with card tricks.

This is the D&D answer.

The real answer is that "Sorcerer" is the word people will call you if you're about to get in serious trouble. Nobody is going to accuse you of Wizardry. Sorcery is mostly fortune-telling, but once someone decides you're in trouble it's also demon summoning.

Wizard just means 'Wise Person'. None of the 'classic' wizards would even count as wizards. Merlin was a Druid. Odin was a seiđmađr, and ain't nobody got the time to figure out how to pronounce that these days. Gandalf is called a wizard, but also he's basically an angel and his powers come from a completely different source than modern wizard stereotypes tend to (read: studying, books, being wise).

The Magi are Zoroastrians. Zoroastrianism was never a very big faith, so they're not the ones who wrote the things that had such a big influence on modern western society. So that means they're a very strange group of people with very strange traditions and secret knowledge they totally aren't sharing with the public. Magic. But also they never caused much trouble, so they're not necessarily bad. They gave Jesus some gold and incense.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The Magi are Zoroastrians. Zoroastrianism was never a very big faith, so they're not the ones who wrote the things that had such a big influence on modern western society. So that means they're a very strange group of people with very strange traditions and secret knowledge they totally aren't sharing with the public. Magic. But also they never caused much trouble, so they're not necessarily bad. They gave Jesus some gold and incense.

lots of magical practitioners will call themselves magicians as a generic term. mostly because calling yourself a wizard makes you sound like a dork

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USAAB9Gb6VE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSvRxv9_8kA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21S3myQoWsY

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

a sorcerer is someone who is naturally good at magic
a wizard is someone who does magic through math and poo poo
a magician is available for birthday parties and business events

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

:confused:
i thought that was "Quantum Magic"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20ru6E3cuqc

maybe i should actually read some of these books i've pirated

This is where you're hacking into reality as if you were hacking a videogame and changing the source code and poo poo.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Facebook Aunt posted:

Myomancy or bust

sex magic AND bust

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

I will confess, lately at work one of the really really important machines has been loving up in a way no maintenance guy can justify (software glitch of some sort) and I have recently taken to doodling vaguely magical-looking sigils on post-it notes and slapping them on the POS when it's being especially uncooperative. As someone who is generally a fan of science and rational skepticism, it irritates me that, faced with a problem that defies any rational or scientific analysis or solution, that I find myself resorting to superstitious mysticism just for some peace of mind and reassuring ritual.

It irritates me even more when this process has a distressingly high success rate.

I fixed robots for a number of years and I always found I had more success when I hurt myself and bled on it while doing it.

Of course they kept wanting more and more of it greedy bastards

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ror posted:

sex magic AND bust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df1bYkZ8hJM

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I fixed robots for a number of years and I always found I had more success when I hurt myself and bled on it while doing it.

Of course they kept wanting more and more of it greedy bastards

this is some gnarley technomancy dude you know most machines are just happy just to be TALKED to right

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Fur20 posted:

this is some gnarley technomancy dude you know most machines are just happy just to be TALKED to right

Rebooting them is alway about finding the right words to make them happy

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

my friends

we are all obligate whizzards

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Rutibex posted:

lots of magical practitioners will call themselves magicians as a generic term. mostly because calling yourself a wizard makes you sound like a dork

It's true that, yes, these things do change with time. The word magi (and magic) has a specific origin but now has a more general meaning.

Though it's important to keep the origins in mind. So if you are calling yourself a mage or a magician, don't wear a pointy hat. As we already established, pointy hats are for wizards and/or medieval Jews, and that's a different discipline.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
What if I just like pointy hats? What then, smart guy? Should I let my calling define my headwear? What else should I subsume to your ideas about what I should be? My very soul?

E: Mage?! I thought you said a maga.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Weka posted:

What if I just like pointy hats? What then, smart guy? Should I let my calling define my headwear? What else should I subsume to your ideas about what I should be? My very soul?

E: Mage?! I thought you said a maga.

sorry this is not a thread for becoming a grand wizard. you might want another forum

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.independent.co.uk/world/nz-christchurch-council-fires-wizard-b1938937.html

New Zealand city fires $16,000 a year wizard

quote:

In response, the Wizard described his ex-employees at Christchurch council as a “bunch of bureaucrats who have no imagination.”

The Wizard of New Zealand is being removed from the public payroll after over two decades providing “acts of wizardry and other wizard-like services” to Christchurch, at a cost of $368,000.

Christchurch Council’s decision to terminate their contract with the Wizard, Ian Brackenbury Channell, 88, brings a close to his 23-year employment, costing them $16,000 a year.

Council assistant chief executive Lynn McClelland told Stuff: “The council has met with The Wizard and sent him a letter thanking him for his services to Christchurch over the past decades, and informing him that we are bringing our formal contractual arrangement to a close.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
That's a steal for Wizarding services.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's not helpful, we're not looking for a way to be fired from your wizard post.

Also NZ done hosed up

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deki posted:

That's a steal for Wizarding services.

its going to cost them a lot more in the long run when the city council are transformed into toads

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This is not true. I never became a wizard. :colbert:

:smith:

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

just continue what your doing and never have sex, you'll be a wizard by the time your beard reached your ankles

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

My grandpa became a wizard by smoking so much weed he shunned all possessions and essentially became Radagast. He now commands all the rabbits west of Colorado, and the crows are his all seeing eyes.

My uncle tried to follow in his dads footsteps, but he couldn't handle his toke and now has permanent "weed brain." He is incapable of driving and deep into Joe Rogan, and is generally insufferable to be around now.

My dad never tried to take up the mantle, and encourages me not to either, using my uncle as a cautionary tale. I think I can do it, though. I may do it by accident, given my weekends.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Wizards vs. Sorcerer is simple. Wizards are masters of elemental magic. They only cast spells from those circles. Dvination, summoning, necromancy, etc. is the realm of a sorcerer, who are masters of spiritual magic.

A wizard hurls lightning bolts, can cause earthquakes, can imbue objects with elemental properties, etc. They use mana to control the elements. Apart from summoning which is high level sorcery, a sorcerer manipulates the flow of mana itself to influence the physical world around them. They basically have the power to use mana itself as a physical force.

They do have similar abilities. Both can teleport or cast similar defensive spells, they just do so through different means - elemental vs spiritual. Wizardly requires greater dexterity and wisdom whereas sorcery requires greater aura as well as wisdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Wizards vs. Sorcerer is simple. Wizards are masters of elemental magic. They only cast spells from those circles. Dvination, summoning, necromancy, etc. is the realm of a sorcerer, who are masters of spiritual magic.

A wizard hurls lightning bolts, can cause earthquakes, can imbue objects with elemental properties, etc. They use mana to control the elements. Apart from summoning which is high level sorcery, a sorcerer manipulates the flow of mana itself to influence the physical world around them. They basically have the power to use mana itself as a physical force.

They do have similar abilities. Both can teleport or cast similar defensive spells, they just do so through different means - elemental vs spiritual. Wizardly requires greater dexterity and wisdom whereas sorcery requires greater aura as well as wisdom.

Actually I just reviewed my tomes and I hosed this up. Wizards are elemental but sorcerers use a combination of elemental and spiritual magic. What I was describing was more of a cleric.

Sorry. I am ranger myself.