Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I mean, if your computer is new enough to officially support Windows 11 and upgrade to it - like six years old, absolute tops - but the WiFi card doesn't have a Windows 11 driver, it feels like the chance of there being a working Linux driver out of the box is not incredible either. I am pretty confident that Intel and Mediatek are better than that, but Realtek has a bunch of random chipsets out there which are liable to work only with the specific installer stub that the board manufacturer provides with them. Not sure if there are any other common chipset OEMs at this point. If that's the case and the laptop isn't too much of a pain to open up, I would be inclined to just replace the M.2 card with a supported one.

Not that this excuses the 11 upgrade going ahead without your consent, but it does have echoes of the Vista situation where Microsoft gets the blame for every random printer or sound card which didn't work anymore after the upgrade because the manufacturer stopped caring about that model in 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Harik posted:

if you don't stop and read them carefully to figure out which weasel-worded option is "gently caress off don't switch my search engine"

:thunk:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

Not that this excuses the 11 upgrade going ahead without your consent, but it does have echoes of the Vista situation where Microsoft gets the blame for every random printer or sound card which didn't work anymore after the upgrade because the manufacturer stopped caring about that model in 1998.

microsoft made and encouraged the hosed up ecosystem themselves because it helps them with vendor lockin, they get to have the blame when it fucks over their customers imo

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Well, again, I do blame them for the upgrade happening on its own - it shouldn't even propose the upgrade to you without giving you a warning about any drivers which will be unsupported afterwards.

As for the basic concept of "you upgraded to a too-new release of the base OS and now your old-rear end unsupported hardware doesn't work," I don't think that it's realistic to expect Microsoft to support drivers for hardware that they didn't produce or sell - especially closed source binary blobs, which I don't see how they could support even if they wanted to. Linux has the same problem on occasion, even with open-source drivers if there's no one interested in maintaining them anymore. You can blame MS for it if that makes you feel better, but I don't think anyone should be surprised by it or expect it to change anytime soon.

e: In some cases the driver doesn't work because the hardware OEM is openly taking the opportunity to try to force you to buy more hardware. I have a USB-serial adapter based on a Prolific chipset which works fine in Windows 10, but after upgrading to 11 the device ID string in Device Manager straight up tells you that it's not supported in Windows 11 and to get the newer model instead. You can easily get it working again by manually telling Windows 11 to use the old driver, though.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 21, 2024

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I must be living some kind of charmed life because I have yet to have most of the issues with Windows 11 that people cite in this thread. (Including that GPT-4 Bing one). I'm not saying it's not happening, just that it doesn't seem to be happening to me (or I dismissed it without thinking about it, which is equally likely).

Forcing upgrades to 11 is pretty scummy though, I'll agree with that.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Harik posted:

How do you prevent this from happening? I have zero interest in downgrading my OS from a functional one to whatever the gently caress malware/adware nonsense this thread is about.

Is "don't destroy my machine plz" enterprise-only?

I disabled the TPM module in my BIOS to block it. Seems to have worked so far. Sadly my work laptop came with 11 and that's a one-two punch of everything being broken all the time and not having local admin to fix it.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

docbeard posted:

I must be living some kind of charmed life because I have yet to have most of the issues with Windows 11 that people cite in this thread. (Including that GPT-4 Bing one). I'm not saying it's not happening, just that it doesn't seem to be happening to me (or I dismissed it without thinking about it, which is equally likely).

Forcing upgrades to 11 is pretty scummy though, I'll agree with that.

This is 99.9% of users. People don't post when things are working fine. There are just a small minority of machines that kinda bounced off Win 11, and like any release there were normal growing pains (you can debate about how many of them were unforced errors). Then there are the small loud minority who don't like change and will whine about anything changing no matter how "good" or "bad" the changes are in a vacuum.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Eletriarnation posted:

e: In some cases the driver doesn't work because the hardware OEM is openly taking the opportunity to try to force you to buy more hardware. I have a USB-serial adapter based on a Prolific chipset which works fine in Windows 10, but after upgrading to 11 the device ID string in Device Manager straight up tells you that it's not supported in Windows 11 and to get the newer model instead. You can easily get it working again by manually telling Windows 11 to use the old driver, though.
This was a case of the manufacturer deliberately sabotaging their driver to not work with knockoff products, if I recall correctly.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah both prolific and FTDI have blocked counterfeit chips in driver updates

FTDI originally went even more nuclear by zeroing the EEPROM of counterfeit chips to brick them, but after people got mad they walked it back to just making the official driver refuse to work with fakes

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This morning I saw a popup about Dynamic Lighting being available and it took me to a settings panel I hadn't seen before that allowed me to fiddle with the LED logo on my mouse.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
you can roll back the win11 install for 30 days (or until you do a diskcleanup and tell it "yeah I'm sure")

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Serotoning posted:

This is 99.9% of users. People don't post when things are working fine. There are just a small minority of machines that kinda bounced off Win 11, and like any release there were normal growing pains (you can debate about how many of them were unforced errors). Then there are the small loud minority who don't like change and will whine about anything changing no matter how "good" or "bad" the changes are in a vacuum.

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between a new UI with slightly rounded corners and a campaign of dark patterns to entrap people in data-collection schemes. you imbecile. you loving moron"

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Dick Trauma posted:

This morning I saw a popup about Dynamic Lighting being available and it took me to a settings panel I hadn't seen before that allowed me to fiddle with the LED logo on my mouse.

This got turned on a month or so ago if I remember right. Like you, I can only get it to adjust the lights on my mouse, but nothing else. So the fans and motherboard lights I have to use the motherboard software, which at least I can set and then turn the program fully off.

If more companies open up their libraries so Windows can control lighting natively, and one would only have to install a piece of software for macro's or DPI, then great. Fan Curve too, though that is generally programmed to the motherboard and doesn't need to be constantly running too. Can also do it in BIOS.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Serotoning posted:

m8 I don’t have any big issues with windows 11 but posting this after people complaining about pop up ads is a real room temp iq move

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
It took an annoying half a day when I was setting up my laptop, but my Windows 11 install is probably 95% the same as W10 at this point, and I don't get any of the pathetic pop ups, notifications, and special offers that make W11 feel like a f2p mobile game instead of an OS.

Not that people should have to do that in the first place, but it's not like this crap is completely unremovable.

Following this plus disabling everything Cortana/Onedrive/Edge related (you don't have to try and rip them out of the guts of the OS, disabling everything possible should keep them quiet) should get you most/all of the way there.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-remove-most-annoying-ads-from-windows

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Quixzlizx posted:

It took an annoying half a day when I was setting up my laptop, but my Windows 11 install is probably 95% the same as W10 at this point, and I don't get any of the pathetic pop ups, notifications, and special offers that make W11 feel like a f2p mobile game instead of an OS.

Not that people should have to do that in the first place, but it's not like this crap is completely unremovable.

Following this plus disabling everything Cortana/Onedrive/Edge related (you don't have to try and rip them out of the guts of the OS, disabling everything possible should keep them quiet) should get you most/all of the way there.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-remove-most-annoying-ads-from-windows

I'm curious what took half a day?

I just set up Win11 for my father and aunt, as the computers they were on were getting a little long in the tooth, as well as did a fresh install on my main system here a few months ago when I got a new video card. From booting with the USB to desktop was maybe 10 minutes. Getting any updates my install ISO didn't have was half an hour, and that is pretty good considering how poo poo my internet service is. I did have to re-uninstall the bloatware like Spotify and Linkdin because it seems if you uninstall them while they are updating, or even queued for updating, it just re-installs them, but that is as simple as a right-click and Uninstall. Oh, and first thing I do is uninstall One-Drive, which does stay uninstalled at least so it doesn't Cloud associate the My folders.

I think the only pop-up I've had at all is when they first rolled out CoPilot (which I hide on my taskbar).

Honestly the only issues I've had with Win11 weren't Microsoft's faults, it's been crappy drivers.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I removed the Xbox game bar overlay thing in Windows 11 and now a dialog pops up when I play games saying it’s missing and I have to dismiss it each time now. Good stuff

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Last Chance posted:

I removed the Xbox game bar overlay thing in Windows 11 and now a dialog pops up when I play games saying it’s missing and I have to dismiss it each time now. Good stuff

Same. I just reinstalled it and disabled it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Dick Trauma posted:

I got this, too, and it also set my keyboard lighting to match the desktop color scheme highlights while it's otherwise idle. Very good that they're making it easier to work with such things.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Really not looking forward to HQ pushing me onto Win11 after reading this thread. On the other hand, I heard it has Android emulation, which will let me run Microsoft Authenticator without having to pull out my personal Chromebook every time I want to get onto a federated SharePoint server. And I heard wsl2 won't require some bonkers kludge to use the right name server with our VPN client installed.

So kind of a mixed bag?

In closing, I miss having a Linux desktop.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I guess you haven't reached halfway page 114 of this thread yet.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

cruft posted:

Really not looking forward to HQ pushing me onto Win11 after reading this thread. On the other hand, I heard it has Android emulation, which will let me run Microsoft Authenticator without having to pull out my personal Chromebook every time I want to get onto a federated SharePoint server. And I heard wsl2 won't require some bonkers kludge to use the right name server with our VPN client installed.

So kind of a mixed bag?

Flipperwaldt beat me to it regarding Android on Windows 11.

If you are on a managed setup, it can be very different from consumer win11. It all depends on how well it is managed.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Recently had a hardware change and decided to do a clean install of windows 11 to go with it. Decided to see if I could get build 22631.3235 so I could tell it I was in the EU market (I'm actually in the US) and get the option to uninstall edge and a bunch of other stuff.

The windows install media creation tool didn't give me the version I wanted, so I ran to uupdump to get it. A half hour later I had an ISO, ran it through rufus, and installed.

On the initial install screen I told windows I resided in Germany, and used English as my primary language and used a US English keyboard layout. Once installed I still couldn't uninstall edge or turn off bing search results, so I turned on "Get latest updates" and ran a windows update and got a couple small patches. Restarted and I was now able to uninstall edge (and a host of other windows apps I don't use and don't want) and uninstall bing search results. I also don't have copilot anymore!

I changed my timezone back to pdt, and seem fine. Thanks EU!

HKR fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 22, 2024

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

EUR welcome

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Tiny Timbs posted:

m8 I don’t have any big issues with windows 11 but posting this after people complaining about pop up ads is a real room temp iq move

Yea I'm not talking about that, that's trash. I mean more on the stability, new functionality, and refactoring side of things which is what I thought OP was talking about as well.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Chronojam posted:

EUR welcome

:xd:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

HKR posted:

Recently had a hardware change and decided to do a clean install of windows 11 to go with it. Decided to see if I could get build 22631.3235 so I could tell it I was in the EU market (I'm actually in the US) and get the option to uninstall edge and a bunch of other stuff.

The windows install media creation tool didn't give me the version I wanted, so I ran to uupdump to get it. A half hour later I had an ISO, ran it through rufus, and installed.

On the initial install screen I told windows I resided in Germany, and used English as my primary language and used a US English keyboard layout. Once installed I still couldn't uninstall edge or turn off bing search results, so I turned on "Get latest updates" and ran a windows update and got a couple small patches. Restarted and I was now able to uninstall edge (and a host of other windows apps I don't use and don't want) and uninstall bing search results. I also don't have copilot anymore!

I changed my timezone back to pdt, and seem fine. Thanks EU!

After 5 years, windows will come back with: "I see that you only logged in from the US in the last 5 years, therefore we decided you're in the US now. Here's Bing, Copilot and Edge back. BTW, we made Edge the default browser and you cannot change it (you're welcome). We uninstalled the competition".

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Last Chance posted:

It's not great even if you have it installed: They did some kind of update to the Game Bar that also funked up my kid's Minecraft install, prevents mine (on Windows 10) from updating, and prevents either of us from the previously perfectly functioning voice chatting over our occasional games of Minecraft. From your description it also sounds like it's some kind of power play to force more of their unneeded bullshit onto people, and it's all around poorly implemented.

Microsoft sucks :mad:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I guess you haven't reached halfway page 114 of this thread yet.

drat it

You know, this wouldn't even be an issue for me if they would just release a version of Microsoft Authenticator that ran on a Microsoft operating system. I do not understand these people.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cruft posted:

On the other hand, I heard it has Android emulation, which will let me run Microsoft Authenticator without having to pull out my personal Chromebook every time I want to get onto a federated SharePoint server.

This is genius.
(although it does seem to defeat the purpose of having multiple factors, not that I really care)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

cruft posted:

So kind of a mixed bag?

Microsoft or Google Authenticator is just a Time-based One Time Password (TOTP) service, you can get that supported in various password managers. It's slightly more annoying to setup because you have to C&P rather than scanning a qrcode but it's a one-and-done deal.

I'm doing it with KeepassXC but most of them (not lastpass!) should support it. It's a hell of a lot easier than setting up a whole android emulator for it.

E: unless they're using phone sign-in and not the 6-digit code.

~Coxy posted:

This is genius.
(although it does seem to defeat the purpose of having multiple factors, not that I really care)

It's better than the authentication status quo of:
* Something you have
* Something you know
OR
* $20 to slip to a minimum wage worker at a kiosk for a SIM swap.

Harik fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 22, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

~Coxy posted:

This is genius.

I mean, the additional 'factor' is still having access to the computing device, right? So if they pilfer your password (i.e. from a breach), they would also have to get your authenticator secret out of your phone or computer.

It won't help if your computer is attacked specifically, but it makes things a lot less risky if a cloud service got breached instead.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yeah, that's true.

Although the point is moot since MS have already removed the Android Appstore from the Windows Store.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, that's true.

Although the point is moot since MS have already removed the Android Appstore from the Windows Store.

KeePass has an option to store 2FA codes. Other password managers do as well though I recommend against using a cloud-connected one in this case for obvious reasons.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Last Chance posted:

This is the true OG LTSC experience

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Harik posted:

Microsoft or Google Authenticator is just a Time-based One Time Password (TOTP) service

:actually:

The primary reason most businesses require Microsoft Autheniticator is because they're implementing a Microsoft product called "Entra". This sends a request to the cloud from the device trying to authenticate, which triggers a push notification to the enrolled Authenticator device, triggering a popup with (hopefully) a little map of the geoip location of the authenticating device, and a box to enter a 2-digit code, which is presented to the authenticating device by the cloud server. If you enter the code, you're in.

There is no explanation of why the map is there, so most people ignore it, which is why a type of proxy attack called "evilproxy" is making big waves right now. Nobody thinks anything of it if the map shows Indonesia, because it was never explained why the map mattered.

I don't know why Authenticator doesn't, at a minimum, compare the location against the phone's built-in location services, to at least ask "are they within 500 miles of each other", but I'm sure Microsoft has their reasons.

None of this is a problem that Webauthn (Fido U2F) suffers from, since it looks up a unique asymmetric key pair by hostname. If a malicious proxy server tries to authenticate, the Fido device doesn't know what keypair it's trying to trick out of the user, so it just fails. Bing bang, an entire class of attack sidestepped by a nice architecture.

Anyway. I still have to use Entra, which means I need to lug around my personal Chromebook while I'm on work travel. It's probably for the better, since it prevents me from doing any non-work stuff on the work laptop.

e: in closing, "something you know + something you have" is all well and good, but when your entire architecture is vulnerable by design to a man-in-the-middle attack, it's worthless.

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 22, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

corgski posted:

I disabled the TPM module in my BIOS to block it. Seems to have worked so far.
Oh, I'll have to do that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between a new UI with slightly rounded corners and a campaign of dark patterns to entrap people in data-collection schemes. you imbecile. you loving moron"

Goddamn I wish thread titles could be longer.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Why not just use your phone with ms Authenticator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

Why not just use your phone with ms Authenticator?

Because phones loving suck.