Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Keito posted:

Is it this one?

https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming

The description makes it sound like it's a tool for turning exclusive fullscreen software into windowed ones, but you can make it move onto a different monitor by using offsets larger/smaller than the main display's resolution? If I understood you correctly. Can it set these positions for already windowed programs or do they need to be exclusive fullscreen?

I think that’s the one…I’m mainly posting this just to let you know I’ll look when I get back on my desktop dual-monitor setup I game on. I usually play games in windowed-full screen, and for many newer games that’s no problem as you can choose which monitor to play on. The one-time configuration I did was set the “position” of the game at -1920 because my two monitors are both 1920x1080, but the “game” is on the left side of my “main” display.

For some games, though:
(1) I run the game in windowed full screen (many games open in my main monitor 1 only, which is physically smaller and set for YouTube or browsing on the right hand side) and literally drag the windowed game to my second, bigger monitor 2 on the left hand side
(2) I right click Windows Borderless Gaming on the taskbar and select “Add game” from its menu
(3) I select my game window and click F3 (the default hotkey). Boom, full 1920x1080 on my gaming monitor! It seems involved, but that’s my process the first time (some games, admittedly, every time!) and it only takes a couple of seconds for me now.

I’m sure there’s an easier method, but all my Share-X screenshots no longer have to be edited to remove the top of window bar. I can still use my mouse outside of the game for regular stuff on the main-but-smaller monitor, too!

Also, if you want I can probably just email you the program, as the manual is online and just out of range atm but I have PMs and I’m pretty sure it’s a very small file. Once I get online later I can just post links here, too, if anyone else is interested.

Pre-:

Post-:

Game is “Hob,” and it’s a treat on a 32” monitor without the orange bar on top ruining the visuals!

Edit:

Found it!

The manual and a short tutorial video are there, too. I don’t know if it’s the “best,” or even if I’m doing it correctly, but I’ve been satisfied with the results!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Other minor Win11 things (I upgraded a few weeks ago on my primary gaming machine):

WSLGui is a thing; you can run X11 apps forwarded to Windows that mostly behave like native apps. This is...of dubious value, frankly (given that Linux's GUI apps are basically not worth using over windows alternatives), and they don't do window snapping, which is for me at least a must, but there's a bug for it I've been keeping an eye on (on github) so that should be fixed at some point. However, it might be useful for you?

I do think the settings menus are a solid improvement over Win10, probably the strongest single 'yes this is definitively better', but that's not a strong reason to upgrade, more of a bonus.

The monitors remembering where they are when they get turned off/etc is also a solid improvement for some folks (my monitor, for example, loves to suddenly start acting up periodically so I have to power cycle it - on Win10 this would mean that any games/etc would get shunted to the secondary monitor and I'd have to restart them to get them back to primary. Win11 just magically handles it with no problems.)

I think the UI is basically something you'll get used to pretty quickly. There's a few missing features though, so that's a bummer if you're affected by it. I wonder if StartAllBack fixes all that stuff or not, so that's a consideration if the actual improvements are a plus for you but the UX is dealbreaker.

IMO I'd stick with Win10 for now until you have a good reason to move.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I upgraded to windows 11 on my productivity and dev machine, I was pretty concerned about it but was tired of windows 10. I'm glad I did everything feels better, all the ui is simpler, it hides the millions of options you never use that you're used to seeing. They're still there but in some cases you might have to look up how to access them. I think it looks a lot better and the window docking stuff is such a welcome improvement.

Absolutely every single thing works including WSL as it did before and all programs. Docker works, the weird stuff I did to my registry, everything. It's also a threadripper system and I'm noticing that while the pc used to only use a small handful of cores at any time, windows 11 seems to be spreading the load out across basically all threads and that's a lot of threads. The benefits of that aren't immediately recognizable but it can't really be a bad thing. They spent time figuring out how to make it better at picking available threads to run things on.

I'm happy with all the improvements. It probably should have still been called Windows 10 though. I guess I read something about windows no longer supporting 32 bit processors, so they had to increment the version number due to such a large backwards incompatibility.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just tried to add a keyboard language on a Win11 machine. It seems that the fancy new dropdown list won't jump to a location based on what you type. Like I open the list, press "G", and it doesn't jump to German or whatever would be the first G language.

Win10 had a whole window with a search bar. Before that I'm pretty sure it was just a list you could jump around like this.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Does anyone know of a replacement taskbar/launcher that allows the system tray to be usable on every monitor's taskbar?

The option to have your primary taskbar and monitor be different is gone, and the other workarounds do not work.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Unsinkabear posted:

Does anyone know of a replacement taskbar/launcher that allows the system tray to be usable on every monitor's taskbar?

The option to have your primary taskbar and monitor be different is gone, and the other workarounds do not work.

You can probably try StartAllBack - looks like it has some sort of trial option?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Unsinkabear posted:

I wonder if that's in Windows 11 22H2? I only have one monitor so can't test for you but some of the dumbest things they didn't implement in 21H2 are there.

And StartAllBack is usually the answer if all else fails. The developer is Russian and I believe he has allowed unlimited use now due to the war.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

He was having trouble accepting payments for a while but it looks like that's up and running again (via Paypal or Gumroad) so not sure if the unlimited-free-trial concession still stands

It's only 5bux anyway, just buy it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I wonder if that's in Windows 11 22H2? I only have one monitor so can't test for you but some of the dumbest things they didn't implement in 21H2 are there.

horns.aiff

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Found it!

The manual and a short tutorial video are there, too. I don’t know if it’s the “best,” or even if I’m doing it correctly, but I’ve been satisfied with the results!

Just wanted to say thanks for the writeup, I'll check this out this tool soon! Been playing mostly via Steam's Big Picture mode with a gamepad lately, and it seems to auto switch the primary display on launch to work around the Windows weirdness.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Keito posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for the writeup, I'll check this out this tool soon! Been playing mostly via Steam's Big Picture mode with a gamepad lately, and it seems to auto switch the primary display on launch to work around the Windows weirdness.

Holy crap, I think the only thing I remembered about Steam’s BPM was that I clicked it once to see what it was and couldn’t figure out how to get out of BPM. I remember having to actually reboot my computer to turn it off, and never, even literal years later, clicked on it again. I’ll have to give it a look when I get back on my big boy machine!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you just go up to the gear icon on the top right and choose exit big picture

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

site posted:

you just go up to the gear icon on the top right and choose exit big picture

Like I said, my client was so borked I couldn’t even ALT + Tab or CTRL + ALT + DEL at all, and waaaay before I’d discovered Super F4. A hard reboot was all I could do, so just figured it was a bug and never clicked on it again (which could have been just me, but killed any desire to attempt it at all until being reminded of it this morning!).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hadn't heard of super f4 but i think I'll have to give that a try. I've been having to use win+tab to move to a second virtual screen, opening task manager, killing the process, and switching back when i need to force kill something that won't let me tab out

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

site posted:

hadn't heard of super f4 but i think I'll have to give that a try. I've been having to use win+tab to move to a second virtual screen, opening task manager, killing the process, and switching back when i need to force kill something that won't let me tab out

I have CTRL + ALT + F4 as my “kill” hotkey in Super F4, and it hasn’t failed yet…just set your hotkey(s) in the configuration, make it enable and elevated at startup (very small footprint), and it works! I use Object Desktop to enhance my Win11 UI/UX, and it goes rogue occasionally when I haven’t logged in for a day or so, if anyone wonders why someone might need a “kill command” in Windows. My computer is on 24/7, and every once in a while the screensaver will not just go away or explorer is corrupted, mainly if I didn’t log on even once for twenty to thirty hours. Linux never has this problem and I think the uptime on my always running laptop/network file server is like 60+ days atm. Windows also updates and reboots itself, which I hate, but just barely tolerate enough not to go in and disable it altogether 🤓

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

BPM looks so muddy. I mean steam is a pretty poor piece of software and always has been, but still.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Big Picture has been stagnant for a very long time (typical Valve development where they work hard on one feature for a while then get distracted by something else and abandon the previous thing) but at some point they're supposedly going to replace the desktop Big Picture mode with the new UI they developed for the Steam Deck

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

repiv posted:

Big Picture has been stagnant for a very long time (typical Valve development where they work hard on one feature for a while then get distracted by something else and abandon the previous thing) but at some point they're supposedly going to replace the desktop Big Picture mode with the new UI they developed for the Steam Deck

easily the most frustrating thing about valve and why they've made a bunch of garbage hardware over the years

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Big Picture was kinda resource demanding when it first released (I remember it ran like poo poo on my (at-the-time poo poo) hardware), did they visually downgrade it to make it perform better? In my memory at least it used to look better, and I can't really say it's nostalgia goggles talking as I could barely use BPM because of the performance hit of having it running in the background while playing games, but I could be wrong.

It does look kinda muddy now but functionality is most important. Not that it has that much to offer there either. Wish it could add simple, no-brainer features like allow for switching default audio output device on launch/exit, or configuration to turn off every monitor not in use.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Hell, I’ll be happy when more games allow you to play them on a second monitor in full screen-windowed mode in the settings. Luckily, many newer games roll out like this every day…unluckily, I mostly play older games I missed from 2006-2018ish (EQ & WoW, and very low bandwidth budget out in the countryside).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I was thinking about updating and checked my Windows Update and it said my system wasn't ready for Windows 11. It said to try PC Health Check which said I didn't have TPM, so I went into my BIOS and turned that on. Now PC Health Check says I'm ready for Windows 11 but Windows Update still says I'm not. I've also installed all the updates available. Is there anything else I should try?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
This is normal I think. It takes a while for Windows Update to recognize the change. It either takes a day or week, I forget.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

You could just force the update with the Upgrade Assistant:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Doing it through Windows Update does the same thing as the tool so there's really no difference

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

As always when switching/upgrading major OS', just clean install from USB media.

I still hate it but honestly I don't notice the lack of being able to ungroup the taskbar icons. My only gripe is what may be a hardware issue where I get a slight tick or stutter, which is very minor and I only really notice it in the cursor. Not always in effect either

codo27 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 13, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Windows upgrade is basically a reinstall from USB now, it just does stuff like copying your profile folder and re-linking the installed apps for you. This also applies when moving between feature releases.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Falcon2001 posted:

Other minor Win11 things (I upgraded a few weeks ago on my primary gaming machine):

WSLGui is a thing; you can run X11 apps forwarded to Windows that mostly behave like native apps. This is...of dubious value, frankly (given that Linux's GUI apps are basically not worth using over windows alternatives), and they don't do window snapping, which is for me at least a must, but there's a bug for it I've been keeping an eye on (on github) so that should be fixed at some point. However, it might be useful for you?
The linux GUI apps are actually local remote desktops to your linux install. Pretty neat imo. Here's a talk about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuhzVDc0Slg&t=3594s

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

So I just upgraded and got mostly everything to work decently. I have an annoyance though.. Why do all the windows have 2 pixel thick border around them? It's ugly af and out of place.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Whoa, hey, when did we get tabbed Explorer? I just noticed it on my system.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thanks Ants posted:

A Windows upgrade is basically a reinstall from USB now, it just does stuff like copying your profile folder and re-linking the installed apps for you. This also applies when moving between feature releases.

Yeah 10->11 is basically an XL feature update. No need for a complete reinstall if your machine is working correctly as-is.

(And if it's lightly messed up I'd still give the upgrade a shot -- every time that the UWP poo poo was messed up for me in 10 it got fixed with an annual update or in-place upgrade. IMO Microsoft has finally solved the need for full format+reinstall for all but the most dire stuff like malware infections.)

bigperm posted:

The linux GUI apps are actually local remote desktops to your linux install. Pretty neat imo. Here's a talk about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuhzVDc0Slg&t=3594s

Careful, you might end up starting to think crazy things like "linux is actually good now?" and "why not make windows the second-class citizen?" like I did.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Whoa, hey, when did we get tabbed Explorer? I just noticed it on my system.

What version are you on? I haven't seen tabbed Explorer yet on the regular channel.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

hooah posted:

What version are you on? I haven't seen tabbed Explorer yet on the regular channel.

Yeah this is an upcoming thing; so either they're on preview or they're about to launch and are flighting it out.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was on one of the preview channels for ages but switched back to public releases a while back, so I dunno where I'm at right now.

It's super cool, with the one minor annoyance that you can't middle click a folder into a new tab, which after years of tabbed browsers feels like something I should be able to do, but otherwise it's an incredibly welcome addition.

E: wait, turns out you can from the main window, just not on the quick menu on the left. Which is still great!

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 14, 2022

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
yeah I'm gonna second (or third) not doing a fresh install if you're going from Win10 -> Win11 unless something catastrophic happens and you absolutely have to. seamless transition

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was on one of the preview channels for ages but switched back to public releases a while back, so I dunno where I'm at right now.

you would know if you were still on a preview build because the build number would be shown in the bottom right corner of the desktop, unless they stopped doing that

barnold fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 14, 2022

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

codo27 posted:

I was excited when Media Player made its return lately. What a disappointment. Hardly any context options, or any options at all. Whats so hard to understand about how to make this poo poo good? I guess nobody uses local media players besides me

I use mpc-hc and the paid-for j river media center

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

HalloKitty posted:

I use mpc-hc and the paid-for j river media center

This. There is also parallel development with MPC-BE. But HC has a nice dark mode now too.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I quit using MPC for MVP when I realized the core of MPC hasn't been updated since 2015. I was using the combined community codec pack and madvr though.

I did a fresh install myself because my previous (multiple) in place upgrades over the last 4-5 years had gotten kind of wonky with certain programs and games no matter what.

In place worked, I just had lots of extremely tiny problems randomly.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I quit using MPC for MVP when I realized the core of MPC hasn't been updated since 2015. I was using the combined community codec pack and madvr though.

I did a fresh install myself because my previous (multiple) in place upgrades over the last 4-5 years had gotten kind of wonky with certain programs and games no matter what.

There are other forks.

https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

What in the name of jolly goodfuck do you need codec packs for on tyool 2022?

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.
Not sure if this should go here or the storage thread or the SSD thread but I'm popping in a second SSD (4tb hell yeah) to my laptop and I wanna make the best use of the space. More specifically, I was planning on using it as a storage dump for user files and music production poo poo (samples, audio files, etc.) Is there an easy way to migrate and mount my user directories from the new drive if I'm the only user?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Back of the Bus posted:

Not sure if this should go here or the storage thread or the SSD thread but I'm popping in a second SSD (4tb hell yeah) to my laptop and I wanna make the best use of the space. More specifically, I was planning on using it as a storage dump for user files and music production poo poo (samples, audio files, etc.) Is there an easy way to migrate and mount my user directories from the new drive if I'm the only user?

I think it's just a right click (on videos or music etc) -> properties -> location and it will suggest moving everything from the previous drive when you change from c: to e: or whatever.