Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Isn't there only a tiny list of officially compatible CPUs right now? That might be why. My PC apparently isn't compatible either, but it looks like you can bypass that if you opt into the insider dev channel when the first insider build is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Isn't there only a tiny list of officially compatible CPUs right now? That might be why. My PC apparently isn't compatible either, but it looks like you can bypass that if you opt into the insider dev channel when the first insider build is released.

after rooting around on MS' support website, the list I'm seeing that shows "officially supported CPUs" is exclusively for OEMs who are seeking to build Windows 11-ready branded machines, not consumer end users.

this seems to be the page everyone is referencing but it's from the "Windows Hardware Developer" support website: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements. a little more snooping around the rest of the articles on that website pretty clearly indicates that these are guidelines for OEMs but maybe I'm missing something

edit: and either way, my processor (AMD Ryzen 7 3700X) is included in the list of compatible CPUs anyway, so it definitely can't be that

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 25, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

Any ideas why they might want TPM as standard now? I get using it for BitLocker, but otherwise...?

The possibility that gives MS the most good faith is that they're using it to help secure the OS -- that they're doing the hypervisor thing where the core of the OS (and defender) move to a higher privilege level than any application can access. And that way when someone clicks yes on a UAC prompt from an email attachment, the malware can't kill defender as the first step to pwning the OS.

But I'm not knowledgeable enough about that to know if TPM is needed or even helpful for implementing that? Stuff like Intel Management Engine and AMD Platform Security sounds like it would be, but those aren't the same as TPM itself. Just related features.

barnold posted:

I've enabled my AMD fTPM and it does show up in Windows as 2.0, but I still don't pass the PC Health check. I think it's because my system has the CSM compatibility on and isn't booting in UEFI mode. But if I toggle UEFI Only in my BIOS, my PC doesn't boot to Windows and only boots back into the BIOS. I'm guessing I hosed this up and installed Windows in non-UEFI mode back when I built this rig so the machine doesn't know where the UEFI partition is but I don't really know how to fix it. Any ideas?

Instructions: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/81502-convert-windows-10-legacy-bios-uefi-without-data-loss.html

(have backups of important data)

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

repiv posted:

Any ideas why they might want TPM as standard now? I get using it for BitLocker, but otherwise...?

Microsoft has been pushing passwordless authentication for a while, so standardizing TPM helps with that initiative.

e. Also, having a feature that is 100% guaranteed to be on the system means that it's not a gamble for developers to spend time making something that utilizes it.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 25, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

:thanks:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TheFluff posted:

ryzen cpu's have a firmware tpm though, and i believe many intel cpu's may have that too, although you probably have to enable it in bios (platform trust technology or something like that)

lol that THIS is the first thing I run into that actually holds back the machine I built to play skyrim shortly after its release. Other than upgrading the graphics card for Doom it's otherwise done everything I asked of it for a literal decade. :patriot:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 25, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Someone's made a tool that breaks down why exactly you can't run Win11

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases

Can't vouch for the developer though

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I have an Asus Prime Z390-P motherboard and got the "no TPM" incompatibility warning. For this board I had to enable Intel PTT in the UEFI advanced settings, now it's all green and good to go.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The only thing left for me to do is enable secure boot, which first required me to switch from CSM to pure UEFI, which I followed up with a reboot, and now my PC won't recognise any of my three monitors in any ports, on GPU or MOBO, until it hits Windows. Just a blank screen, so I'm completely unable to navigate to the secure boot screen now. Any ideas before I have to go and make a dedicated troubleshooting thread somewhere? It's an MSI B350M Gaming Pro. I've tried hitting F6 to load the default settings, as the manual suggested, but god knows if it wants any more input from me or if I was definitely doing it at the right time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think I read as much prior to the official announcement yesterday, but you'd better be able to move the start button and icons back to the left. I cant believe they aped apple with that poo poo.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
wish microsoft kept the menu button and maybe search/task view buttons left-aligned like chromeos

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

codo27 posted:

I think I read as much prior to the official announcement yesterday, but you'd better be able to move the start button and icons back to the left. I cant believe they aped apple with that poo poo.

Changing it back to the left was an option in the leaked build

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

repiv posted:

Changing it back to the left was an option in the leaked build

Small taskbar icons, though, are not, nor is showing text in the taskbar items. MS hasn't definitively said, as far as I know, that they won't be included, but they aren't right now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol

https://twitter.com/shen/status/1408284995131645956?s=19

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1408516037432295434

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I honestly I think that whoever came up with the TPM decision just had their asses completely stuck in corporate world because the vast majority of consumer computers dont come with a tpm module while just about every computer bought for a corp has one.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
So my motherboard which came out in the ancient age of 2018 is obsolete now I guess because it doesn't support TPM and doesn't have a module to install one. Built this PC last year lol. Guess I'll be one of those holdouts who is on the previous version of windows for the next decade.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Orc Priest posted:

So my motherboard which came out in the ancient age of 2018 is obsolete now I guess because it doesn't support TPM and doesn't have a module to install one. Built this PC last year lol. Guess I'll be one of those holdouts who is on the previous version of windows for the next decade.

Did you check your BIOS?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Microsoft is saying that those CPU lists we assumed only applied to OEMs are actually a hard min spec even for custom installs

https://twitter.com/dispensa/status/1408580116393848839

https://twitter.com/dispensa/status/1408582402998341633

Those lists currently only include Intel 8th gen and Zen+ (not OG Zen) onwards

IDGI, 8th gen was a rehash of 6th gen (Skylake) with MoAr CoReS, what can it do that 6th gen couldn't?

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 26, 2021

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
This whole hardware requirements thing is gonna be really interesting to see it finish hashing out.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I honestly I think that whoever came up with the TPM decision just had their asses completely stuck in corporate world because the vast majority of consumer computers dont come with a tpm module while just about every computer bought for a corp has one.

Orc Priest posted:

Modern CPUs have built-in TPM ability, it just needs to be enabled in BIOS.

e:

Falcon2001 posted:

This whole hardware requirements thing is gonna be really interesting to see it finish hashing out.

I wonder which MS PR person is gonna be shitcanned over the completely hosed up messaging over these requirements.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Zerot posted:

Did you check your BIOS?

Yep I already checked my BIOS. I have an ASUS Z390-P and it doesn't support TPM at all.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Orc Priest posted:

Yep I already checked my BIOS. I have an ASUS Z390-P and it doesn't support TPM at all.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z390-P/E15011_PRIME_Z390-P_UM_v3_web.pdf

Intel Platform Trust Technology

Yeah making this a requirement is going to make a bunch of people think they need to upgrade when they don't

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
why not just wait until windows 12 when tpm 2.0 is in 90+% of windows devices instead of forcing everyone to replace their current pc build lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inept posted:

Yeah making this a requirement is going to make a bunch of people think they need to upgrade when they don't

Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Windows 11: you already have TPM, you just don't know it

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Yeah, that manual never mentions TPM, and doesn't explain PTT at all.

At least the AMD version is called fTPM so you can infer it's a TPM setting.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Inept posted:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z390-P/E15011_PRIME_Z390-P_UM_v3_web.pdf

Intel Platform Trust Technology

Wow thank you! And yeah the naming threw me off. I turned it on and then my PC did this loud rumble/vibration aha I hope nothing broke in there ahaha.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Orc Priest posted:

I have a Z370 from Asus, had the same panic/heart attack you did, but I found out that we're good!

(Update your bios), then go into Advanced Mode, Advanced, PCH-FW Config, and then there should be a "PTT" option - set this to Firmware (instead of the default Discrete)

I ran the Win11 tool and then it said I'm (we're) good!

edit: AAAA TOO LATE!!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Apparently my mobo has a TPM connector, although I would have to have a drat compelling reason to switch to a new Windows version until it's been out a year or two.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Apparently my mobo has a TPM connector, although I would have to have a drat compelling reason to switch to a new Windows version until it's been out a year or two.

That doesn't matter because your CPU is not supported.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MikusR posted:

That doesn't matter because your CPU is not supported.

It's a Ryzen 3600X so it's on the list anyway. I'd just never had a reason to look at TPM before.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I’m guessing they are wanting to keep up with Apple on the privacy front here. Apple makes a big deal about how their keys are all stored in their Secure Enclave so not even they can access data on a device. I guess the non-apple equivalent is a TPM2 and by requiring it rather than making it optional, there’s no uncertainty as to whether your device keys are secured or not based on your particular hardware configuration.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's a Ryzen 3600X so it's on the list anyway. I'd just never had a reason to look at TPM before.

Then it's a setting in uefi

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I would like 11 to let you make a virtual desktop per monitor rather than across your entire setup.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Look for a "fTPM" setting in your bios.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't forget secure boot while you're rooting around in there.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Don't forget secure boot while you're rooting around in there.

Or don't, because secure boot is a PITA and windows 11 isn't coming out for months.

Secure boot is IMO the requirement with the biggest chance of being rolled back to a 'recommended' or whatever, because it sucks for support (non-MS bootable USB sticks stop working) and it's a legit anti-trust issue (only MS has the keys).

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22550376/microsoft-windows-11-tpm-chips-requirement-security

Sounding more and more like TPM 2.0 is the requirement. Should be interesting to see MSFT's blog post on it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's really weird they're gating 11 like this, usually the latest Windows will run on any old piece of crap. It might not run well but you can try...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's really weird they're gating 11 like this, usually the latest Windows will run on any old piece of crap. It might not run well but you can try...

OS development is kind of a balancing act between compatibility and pushing features forward. Making things required (like 64-bit processors/etc) speeds up development for software because you start making it easier to say 'hey everyone on Windows 11 has feature XYZ on hardware' as well as 'you don't need to worry about supporting features ABC because they're not part of the game anymore'.

There's a kind of constant flux between the goals of 'it should work on anything' and 'requiring TPM lets us build some stuff into the core OS for security' - I'm not a security researcher or even all that familiar with TPM, mind you, just getting that from the Verge's article/etc.

Sounds like 11 is them leaning pretty hard on the forward push instead of the dragging along. I wonder if this means Win10 will end up with an expanded EOL date, like WinXP had.