Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I find it funny that Microsoft seems to be on this plan:
Support Windows 10 to 2025 and shunt all the legacy users and long-term support into that.
Release Windows 11 and cut the legacy cruft out.

except they... aren't really changing anything significant outside of a new coat of paint for 11. Kinda missing the opportunity here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

BoosterDuck posted:

hilarious how microsoft is treating 11 as the glow-up 10 should've gotten a long rear end time ago but apparently most 10 users wont get it because of some stupid mobo module that only super nerds will be able to configure

you need to go re-read the op

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

lol msft trying to their own sorta WWDC thing and completely loving up every angle of it with messaging.
What will Windows 11 actually run on? Who knows!
Will it ship in the holiday season or not? Who knows!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Falcon2001 posted:

The 64-bit processor part is basically a nonproblem, as I don't think anyone's shipped a 32-bit proc since 2002, and the other part is about a specific hardware security feature. Neither of these are Apple-style 'we changed your charger because we need more Q2 profits' stuff.

Although on the other hand it's not like they've confirmed the details fully yet, so who knows. Maybe all Windows 11 machines need a $50 Microsoft TM Certified Dongle to run or something.

I'm glad I'm not the PR team, but it's not like there's any problem for the rest of us waiting a few weeks for MSFT to get their messaging straight.

Intel Atoms were 32 bit and sold into the mid-2010s and there continue to be shitboxes sold with those well towards the end of it. This is why 8 and 10 had 32 bit versions- those and other netbook style race to the bottom garbage Walmart Specials.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 27, 2021