Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

birdstrike posted:

golds tandardconure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

what would be the laws of the land about just straight-up establishing a whole new town that's built by, for and around cyclists? i actually don't know the legalities of building new townships, and there would be worse ideologies to build one around than cycling. there's a lot of money in cycling enthusiasts, and probably a big overlap with eco survivalists so plenty of individuals worldwide who'd be interested in helping build a kingdom in australia.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

alternately, you could buy a lovely existing town and just totally gut it and rebuild. that would probably be more cost effective and environmentally friendly than buying greenfield land. obviously i'm talking billions of dollars here, but cycling enthusiasts are silicon valley money

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

an egg posted:

what would be the laws of the land about just straight-up establishing a whole new town that's built by, for and around cyclists? i actually don't know the legalities of building new townships, and there would be worse ideologies to build one around than cycling. there's a lot of money in cycling enthusiasts, and probably a big overlap with eco survivalists so plenty of individuals worldwide who'd be interested in helping build a kingdom in australia.

Legalities? I don't see any specific impediments apart from planning controls. Take a look at Googong which is a township adjacent to Queanbeyan, NSW. If you can get the land you can propose a development. Usually for something of that size you also specify most of the development controls and planning constraints. You'd have to convince the local and state government to accept that cycling will solve most of your transport needs, and still have a plan for restricted vehicle use for people who need to move bulky items, businesses that need freight, and utilities/emergency services.

But there is no specific "No cyclist townships allowed" laws that I'm aware of.

There are a lot of specific areas in cities now where private vehicle use is not allowed - George St in Sydney is a good example. When the tramline went in, a lot of George St was closed off to private use vehicles and only freight and essential services to use what is now a shared pedestrian/tram space. I understand that some European cities have this on a much wider scale, particularly with cities that have "old towns" in the centre. Bollards restrict access for all but essential vehicles.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

birdstrike posted:

it’s more likely that being from Perth they had never encountered a “motor-less cycle” before and just didn’t know what to do

They should have a faint recollection of being enraged and posting hilarious jokes about murdering cyclists Carmageddon-style after WA introduced that minimum one meter distance passing rule.

(apparently there's roughly one whole driver per month actually fined for breaking it so lol)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

an egg posted:

alternately, you could buy a lovely existing town and just totally gut it and rebuild. that would probably be more cost effective and environmentally friendly than buying greenfield land. obviously i'm talking billions of dollars here, but cycling enthusiasts are silicon valley money

I feel like this is the more likely way to achieve your goal.

Take like 5 like minded friends, go to some place like Albany/Mt Barker/Denmark, take over the local council, force a whole bunch of cyclist friendly poo poo through, then sit back and laugh

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Happy invasion day everyone. Who here is conflicted about anti-Australia day rallies happening during a pandemic?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Budzilla posted:

Happy invasion day everyone. Who here is conflicted about anti-Australia day rallies happening during a pandemic?

What pandemic? We won.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

What pandemic? We won.

Yeah white ppl are endemic now

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

There's a development in Adelaide at Bowden which is surprisingly bike friendly and anti-CRT, in large part because I think the developers realised that smaller roads would allow more land area for buildings.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Budzilla posted:

It's fine as long as precautions are taken, transmission is much much lower in open air environments.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
time to dox myself: my mother had to get up and politely tell the other anti-vax speakers at the rally in brisbane to go gently caress themselves because none of the sensible people were at the brisbane rally this year

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

Where are you these days? Dunno if you have a car these days, but I believe the drive-thru ones in Mt Hawthorn and Osborne Park are open on public holidays. Just don't show up to the Mt Hawthorn on a bike, cars only. :v:

I found one over in Myaree and luckily, have a car, so was able to get there. Without a car I would have been poo poo out of luck.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

JBP posted:

What pandemic? We won.

Honestly I just watched the news and the phrasing was “there’s a heavy sense that the pandemic is over now, let’s embrace each other this Australia Day”

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'm surprised the libs haven't made a huge fuss about Grace Tame yet, they mustn't have anything they want to cover up this week

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they saw the fool PVO made of himself and thought better of it

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

grace tame is not an interesting person to care or hear about so the quicker she's dumped by the news cycle, the better imo

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

bell jar is not an interesting poster to care or hear about so the quicker he's dumped by the forums, the better imo

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

generating pages of posts by giving anidav the pettiest side eye while receiving the australian forums poster of the year award

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SuddenCactus posted:

I'm surprised the libs haven't made a huge fuss about Grace Tame yet, they mustn't have anything they want to cover up this week

Like most of their pr9blems with women they will be following the strategy of ignoring in the hope it goes away.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

SuddenCactus posted:

I've read a couple of articles decrying her for pouting as being "unladaylike" and "a rude child" etc.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/scowling-at-scott-morrison-grace-tame-squanders-her-moment-20220125-p59r62.html

But hearteningly, I have seen more articles praising her, and along the lines of "women don't have to smile for you anymore", " protest doesn't have to be polite" etc.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...126-p59rcn.html

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Grace Tame is justified in her actions, the news cycle was pretty quick.

In a day it went from -

- Great! Women should be treated better and LNP do nothing for DV, did not meet with March4Justice, ongoing discussion of Brittany Higgins and parliaments treatment of woman.

- Here is Grace Tame with Albo looking happy

- Journalists whining about it, The Australian ran an opinion piece suggesting she not go at all.

- Dylan Alcott getting Australian of the Year stating more needs to be done for the NDIS. Mild discussion of the award being lip service to pretend progress is being made when it is not.

- An unsuccessful attempt by Sky to shift blame to Albo for passing up a handshake from Morrison, with Albo explaining he didn’t shake anyone’s hand because it is against health protocol.

- It’ll end next week when Mad as Hell do a skit about it

woofbro fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 27, 2022

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why are the two fat people standing on that fake flooring they roll out at music festivals?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Must mean stage left, because that empty suit is the biggest embarrassment.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Who is the man on the right? Also, in terms of who gets more respect between PM and Aussie of the Year, it's the goddamn Aussie of the Year. You actually need to achieve things to be Aussie of the Year, you have real competition. What the hell has the PM done?

Literally, has he done anything ever?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

'breeding'

what are they loving spaniels? eugenics speak from wine nanna here

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

People still unironically say "breeding" to describe a level of class?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Konomex posted:

Who is the man on the right? Also, in terms of who gets more respect between PM and Aussie of the Year, it's the goddamn Aussie of the Year. You actually need to achieve things to be Aussie of the Year, you have real competition. What the hell has the PM done?

Literally, has he done anything ever?

I think the guy on the right is Grace's bloke

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

woofbro posted:

Grace Tame is justified in her actions, the news cycle was pretty quick.

<snip>
- An unsuccessful attempt by Sky to shift blame to Albo for passing up a handshake from Morrison, with Albo explaining he didn’t shake anyone’s hand because it is against health protocol.
<snip>

Yup saw this on the default MSN news splash, was not at all surprised to see that Sky News was quoting Michael Kroger.

Liberal Party Gargoyle criticises ALP leader - I mean, who could have predicted this?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

TheMostFrench posted:

People still unironically say "breeding" to describe a level of class?

People like MacSween do, unaware that they themselves are ridiculous throwback whose schtick who have seemed quaint even thirty or forty years ago

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

tbh i admire grace's side eye. she's just opened herself up to years of liberal harassment as soon as she's out of the spotlight, and she knows it, but the only way to deal with a skilful fraud like morrison is to signal as hard as you can "i don't buy this guy's bullshit for a second and neither should you"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I nominate Murodese for Auspol poster of the year, due to him not making a single bad post in 2021. A noble goal we should all aspire to, which not a single poster in this thread reaches.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Laserface posted:

Why are the two fat people standing on that fake flooring they roll out at music festivals?

That's the breeding floor

Imagine morrison smirking as he cums

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SuddenCactus posted:

That's the breeding floor

Imagine morrison smirking as he cums

All his swimmers are sharkies.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

an egg posted:

tbh i admire grace's side eye. she's just opened herself up to years of liberal harassment as soon as she's out of the spotlight, and she knows it, but the only way to deal with a skilful fraud like morrison is to signal as hard as you can "i don't buy this guy's bullshit for a second and neither should you"

Her actions are correct for the reason you say, but there's another significant outcome. Instead of yet one more bland media event that passes without mention, we've had a news cycle discussing in depth the action, outrage, and meaning. Its an opportunity for people to state "she's not there to make you feel comfortable". If the game is rigged, don't play by the house rules, tip over the table.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Keeping count of how many of these fuckin Palmer ads i have to sit through on youtube, and pelting a equivalent number of eggs at that bloated oval office if i ever see him

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Keeping count of how many of these fuckin Palmer ads i have to sit through on youtube, and pelting a equivalent number of eggs at that bloated oval office if i ever see him

They are so terrible too. So stupid, and such awful arguments, and so poorly made.

It always makes me sad to know that poo poo like that works, at least on some people.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I think it's a bit like the email scams, it's bad on purpose to explicitly target people with critical thinking deficiencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lube Enthusiast posted:

He's gone around the country and bought all the billboards again as well