Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

does this get better after the first episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I don't love Baby of the Year, either, but it has its moments. Mostly that one heckler who totally nails the delivery on, "I hope you loving die, Harley Jarvis!"

Instagram is probably my #1 because I have the impulse to quote it all the goddamn time. But the Garfield house and Magician skits are excellent. And now the Prank Show one...that demolished me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

roomtone posted:

Are you watching s1 or s2?

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Consummate Professional posted:

I would bet most of them are actually just small time actors grinding it out. The good car idea man is! https://www.vulture.com/2019/12/i-think-you-should-leave-focus-group-oral-history.html
The guy who plays Doug has almost 300 acting credits on IMDB. Ruben Rabasa's been acting since the '70s. They're just regular working actors, the "hey, did I see that guy in something before?" type of person.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Wtf Doug is Aramaki in old Ghost in the Shell. That's wild.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Can we please shut the gently caress up about Doug?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AV Club’s sketch ranking was awful when it was just season 1 and somehow it’s even worse now. How tf you gonna have Ghost Tour and the insider trading trial so low yet have Calico Cut Pants as the highest-ranked s2 sketch????

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

EL BROMANCE posted:

Are you watching s1 or s2?

s1, just watched the first episode after seeing people talk about how good this was. didn't like it and i like sketch comedy so i was just wondering if it was rough or if that's a good example of the show.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

At a bar right now, took a sip of beer and the condensation just dropped onto my pants. Loudly yelling THIS ISNT PISS, THEY’RE CALICO CUT PANTS

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

s1, just watched the first episode after seeing people talk about how good this was. didn't like it and i like sketch comedy so i was just wondering if it was rough or if that's a good example of the show.

It is a good example of the show but imo it doesn’t have any of the best ever sketches. People love the baby of the year one though

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

roomtone posted:

If nothing about episode one grabs you, it’s probably just not for you. There might be one or two sketches you like, but you’ll be watching through a lot of stuff you won’t I think.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Consummate Professional posted:

Patti Harrison is a gem.

She's so great. Tables drivers ed killed me.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

"I don't want to be around anymore" made me laugh so hard I literally poo poo my pants a bit.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The prank show sketch didn't hit with me as much at the time, but whenever I think back on it I can't stop laughing

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Escobarbarian posted:

AV Club’s sketch ranking was awful when it was just season 1 and somehow it’s even worse now. How tf you gonna have Ghost Tour and the insider trading trial so low yet have Calico Cut Pants as the highest-ranked s2 sketch????

Calico Cut Pants literally is my favorite sketch of the show and I accept I'm brainbroken

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

zoux posted:

Where do they get the bit players for these sketches?
They're actors pretending to be super weird. Patti Harrison has intentionally bizarre delivery here but she speaks normally in her movies/shows/standup. Reuben Rubasa(car guy) doesn't have that strange halting/shouting cadence in real life either.

The sight gag during the Claire's sketch that reveals a grown man forced to watch the ear piercing video had me howling.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

roomtone posted:

You’re thinkin’... you shoulda swiped left.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Tables is my favourite sketch the show has ever done. I also think about Dan Flashes a lot.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

sexpig by night posted:

Calico Cut Pants literally is my favorite sketch of the show and I accept I'm brainbroken

Wasn't fond of it the first time, but on a rewatch I noticed a lot more things and appreciated it a lot more. Also really love the ending choice of him going into a room with a bright red light.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
After rewatching the entire 2nd season, I think the Blues Brothers sketch turned out to be a real sleeper favorite of mine. Just the pure madcap energy of every moment with the dance, the music, the dog barking, Connor O'Malley screaming. I wouldn't call it my favorite sketch, but it's the one that I laughed hardest at that hadn't really stuck in my mind on the first watch.

I think my favorite sketch of the season is likely either tables or the one in the parking lot.

"No, I don't know how to drive. I don't know what any of this poo poo is, and I'm loving scared."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The biggest takeaway is that patti harrison is a goddamn genius. After that, i cannot stop thinking about "i don't even want to be around anymore"

The show is masterful at subverting expectations, and the loving wife guy sketch subverting them by just being a nice little story about a wholesome man terrorized by a community theater bully named Jamie Taco is the best example.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The biggest takeaway is that patti harrison is a goddamn genius. After that, i cannot stop thinking about "i don't even want to be around anymore"

The show is masterful at subverting expectations, and the loving wife guy sketch subverting them by just being a nice little story about a wholesome man terrorized by a community theater bully named Jamie Taco is the best example.

There's so much going on in the wife joke sketch that it's definitely one of my favorites from the show. The reveal of the sleeping bags at the end was incredible.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Flying Zamboni posted:

There's so much going on in the wife joke sketch that it's definitely one of my favorites from the show. The reveal of the sleeping bags at the end was incredible.

At the VERY end of the flashback, the wife begins to say something like “So when you said...” and it gets cut off. I have been thinking about this for three days. drat you Tim Robinson.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m trying to find more Patti Harrison stand up but this is all I’ve managed to turn up. She’s the highlight of a lot of the sketches these two seasons.

https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2522864327941543&id=2522856987942277

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
She also shows up in Shrill on Hulu and has a similar level of insanity as her ITYSL characters.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The biggest takeaway is that patti harrison is a goddamn genius.

She really loving is. Seriously.TV took a lot (all?) of their stuff off YouTube, but she made a bunch of stuff with them, and it's almost all universally excellent, especially her "Convers(at)ion Therapy" talk show. Here's one of them that I managed to save:

Convers(at)ion Therapy -- Peter Smith

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't know if anyone else watches everything with Audio Description on but the fact they kept referring to Tim's character in "sloppy steaks" as "The Degenerate" really added to what was already a funny sketch for me.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
funniest line is

No, I don't know to loving drive. I dont know what any of this poo poo is, and i'm fuckin scared.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Brock Samson posted:

She's so great. Tables drivers ed killed me.

I love that there was actually a payoff to what her job was

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just finished the second episode of season 2 and actually that was the whole season all along. Want more now

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Follow the unofficial twitter account, it's fun
https://twitter.com/ITYSL/status/1413830689414385664?s=20
https://twitter.com/ITYSL/status/1413852216717422593?s=20
https://twitter.com/ITYSL/status/1414065729301884932?s=20

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Escobarbarian posted:

BEST RECOMMENDATIONS IF YOU LOVE THIS SHOW (IE IF YOU’RE NOT A HORRIBLE PERSON)

- Detroiters, a show co-created by and starring Tim and Sam Richardson (his irl best friend who has played the pageant judges in both seasons of ITYSL as well as been in various other things) that ran for two seasons on Comedy Central in 2017-18. They play creatives at their own ad agency who make low-budget TV commercials and it has a lot of the same energy and is just really funny and good

Detroiters is so good.

https://twitter.com/SamRichardson/status/1025167021514936320

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Shrimpy posted:

Detroiters is so good.

Couldn't believe how amazing it was, binged the whole thing in one sitting.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Ccs posted:

Tables is my favourite sketch the show has ever done. I also think about Dan Flashes a lot.

I almost passed out when he played the third video

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

It's the same thing as the first season. I keep randomly thinking about bits from different sketches and can never decide on a favorite.

Stuck on the line "it's just me, Barbie, I'm not the Blues Brothers" right now.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
"im gonna rip the fuckin head off!"
had me doubled over.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I love when the other players match his irrational anger.

"SHUT THE gently caress UP DOUG, YOU loving SKUNK!"

"YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP, MIKE. I'LL KILL YOU!"

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I started watching this and laughed so hard at Coffin Flops that I started weeping. I think the Dan Flashes sketch is my favorite so far (with Tables a very close second!), mainly because my spouse is also a fan of men's fashion and complicated shirts so now I have a whole new way to make fun of him :haw:

edit: actually now that I think about it, this show has probably made me laugh to the point of tears more than any sketch show that i've ever seen. and i'm not even finished with it yet

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 12, 2021

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I've started saying this any time I'm hungry, or tired, or mildly inconvenienced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm still a big fan of TC Tuggers and I appreciate how the dad rock music they play sounds like something out of a home depot commercial, they know their audience for shirts with knobs on the front so you can tug it away from your stomach.