Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
If you're like me, you love Big Brother but also avoid spoilers. Unfortunately, the non-spoiler thread has not been created...until now.

After two episodes, I am digging this cast. I think this is the first time in years where I don't already hate, like, 5 people.

I like Frenchie, but drat, he has not learned anything from past seasons? I think what he tried to do was admirable, but, like, he really should have seen how limited his options were for nominations after he seemingly told the entire house they were safe. You really have to expect some sort of twist in the early going, and not just be lazer-focused on one or two people just in case something happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It is really funny that Frenchie had to break so many of his promises.

Also, it is nice that someone like Travis is up for eviction in the first week. That doesn't seem to typically happen, but I only have the memory of the past season or two.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Twin Cinema posted:

It is really funny that Frenchie had to break so many of his promises.

Also, it is nice that someone like Travis is up for eviction in the first week. That doesn't seem to typically happen, but I only have the memory of the past season or two.

It was kind of impressive to watch him make like every possible mistake: he locked himself into a plan (evict a muscular jock guy) before having a conversation with anyone, was so confident in his ability to get one of two guys out that he promised safety to everyone else, finally had a conversation with one of his targets and ended up promising him safety too, then lost his mind as every backup plan he put in place got foiled. And the best part is, at the end of the week, he might still accomplish his original plan, but now with the added bonus of everyone thinking he's an untrustworthy psycho!

I really do hope Tristan goes home though, I was ready to hate Alyssa after the premiere but she came across pretty well in the subsequent episodes.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

It was kind of impressive to watch him make like every possible mistake: he locked himself into a plan (evict a muscular jock guy) before having a conversation with anyone, was so confident in his ability to get one of two guys out that he promised safety to everyone else, finally had a conversation with one of his targets and ended up promising him safety too, then lost his mind as every backup plan he put in place got foiled. And the best part is, at the end of the week, he might still accomplish his original plan, but now with the added bonus of everyone thinking he's an untrustworthy psycho!

I really do hope Tristan goes home though, I was ready to hate Alyssa after the premiere but she came across pretty well in the subsequent episodes.

Yeah, I am not really sure what he was thinking through it all. Was he the one who said in the second episode that his plan was to keep his word through this whole week so that it'd make him look better later in the game? Also, it appears that he didn't have any conversations with anyone. Like, Derek is supposed to be his Final 2, and even he was blindsided by noms? I don't think Frenchie is going to last very long.

It's weird, because I don't really hate anyone in the house yet. Maybe it's because they haven't had enough screentime. I am cheering for Alyssa because I got picked her for the Big Brother pool I am in (along with Derek Frazier).

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
lol only been watching since season 18 and I've never seen such a clusterfuck first week HOH, unbelievable

This is the last chance I'm giving this show! Hope it's a good season, I do like the cast so far

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

obliriovrons posted:

lol only been watching since season 18 and I've never seen such a clusterfuck first week HOH, unbelievable

This is the last chance I'm giving this show! Hope it's a good season, I do like the cast so far

The closest thing I can remember to someone blowing up their game this early was Devin in Big Brother 16, who I thought was in the first week, but turned out to be the second week after I just checked. If I recall correctly, and I probably don't since this was 7 years ago, he was a part of the early Bomb Squad alliance, won HOH in Week 2, and then just started playing so hard without thinking of the repercussions. I think the Bomb Squad was, like 6 people, and then he just added a few more without telling them. I also think that he was all over the place emotionally, and would blow up at people if he didn't think they were doing what he wanted. He was done in Week 3.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I do appreciate Frenchie thinking that he's Derrick or Dan in Week 1. It's admirable.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

I do appreciate Frenchie thinking that he's Derrick or Dan in Week 1. It's admirable.

It's so appalling haha. I feel like there might be an approach he could take, where he went to a few groups of people and said "hey, I really hosed this first week up, so I'd be great to drag along to the end, but for now you should probably steer clear of me," and that might at least pull him through for awhile, but it would involve actually recognizing how badly he hosed the first week up. Instead he just thinks he pulled off a masterstroke.

Also, I was looking at the cast list and appreciating how they've avoided the "almost entirely early-20s cast" issue that I felt has plagued a lot of the seasons I've watched, and Frenchie is 34 years old[? I definitely thought he was, like, significantly older than that.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

obliriovrons posted:

It's so appalling haha. I feel like there might be an approach he could take, where he went to a few groups of people and said "hey, I really hosed this first week up, so I'd be great to drag along to the end, but for now you should probably steer clear of me," and that might at least pull him through for awhile, but it would involve actually recognizing how badly he hosed the first week up. Instead he just thinks he pulled off a masterstroke.

Also, I was looking at the cast list and appreciating how they've avoided the "almost entirely early-20s cast" issue that I felt has plagued a lot of the seasons I've watched, and Frenchie is 34 years old[? I definitely thought he was, like, significantly older than that.

I liked his one statement to the French Kiss "alliance" that was basically, like, "they'll come after me next week but you'll keep me safe!" What is in it for them, exactly? I feel similar to you. If he fell on his sword, and was just like, "I had to break some promises to get this person out," maybe more people would be forgiving. I would not be surprised if Frenchie is the target this upcoming week.

And yeah, as someone who is in his mid-30s, that just feels wild to me.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Watching the demise of Frenchie really is something. He is just in continual free-fall mode.

I feel like at this point, no one has really shown much of a personality on the show, just because every episode is devoted to showing Frenchie. It's amazing that even his two closest allies have cut him already.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Frenchie was just, like, 100% sure that he was going to be able to pull off some weird scheme for this entire episode! I would assume he will go through the entire next episode dejected, but also maybe he'll just somehow convince himself he's going to pull off some incredible maneuver and stay in the game

It's vaguely funny to watch but his entire persona so far is probably absolutely horrible to be around in the house

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, even with Frenchie saying he'd use the veto on Britini, it just all felt like this weird scheme where he'd be able to save the both of them.

I just don't think he has realized how awful his first week was, and how he can't even be trusted in the house. Plus, like you said, he is probably just horrible to be around right now. As much as I am enjoying this chaos, I am also done with The Frenchie Show.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
He's got that weird frantic "I think I'm gonna go on the block and I'm FREAKING OUT" vibe that you do see a lot on this show but it started like 3 days into his HOH week, it has to be completely unpleasant to have just had that going on for like 10 days now

But yeah his weird thing to Kyland where he was like "and I will be using the veto to save Britani... unleeeess..."

I do think I like most of the cast, at least, from what we've gotten to see outside The Frenchie Show. Often by this point I'm like "well all but like three of these people suck" and I don't feel that way so far. I'm optimistic!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I admit, I got a big laugh out of the over-the-top announcer voice guy saying "Is Frenchie toast?!" at the end of the episode. He just sounded so happy to making that dumb pun.

As for the actual game, I'll be curious to see where things settle once Frenchie is gone. So much of the game has been focused around him so far that it'll almost feel like a restart.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Play hard real fast... get HOH
Start 10,000 alliances in Week 1
Bask in HOHitus and forget this isn't a sprint, it's a long race

Blow all alliances the gently caress up in Week 2
Expect favorable rewards as a result

Shine on Frenchie, you crazy stupid diamond

I guess the real game starts Week 3 ?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

obliriovrons posted:

I do think I like most of the cast, at least, from what we've gotten to see outside The Frenchie Show. Often by this point I'm like "well all but like three of these people suck" and I don't feel that way so far. I'm optimistic!

I agree. Someone that looked really annoying from his intro video, Brent, has actually appeared to be more level-headed than what was presented. Obviously, anything can change, but it is looking hopeful.

Also, agree that Week 3 is when the real game starts. I don't see Frenchie getting past this week, so everyone can actually start doing their thing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Frenchies game is super weird considering he bragged about how he was a super fan and would write down strategies while watching previous seadons but then goes and makes like the worst decisions ever.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I’m confused on where to put broadcast chat so I’ll drop it here.

Frenchie was horribad but I’m seriously unclear on where Xavier will paint his target.

He’s kinda good with everyone and I feel is a front runner to run the table.

This may not have been the week to get HOH.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Monaghan posted:

Frenchies game is super weird considering he bragged about how he was a super fan and would write down strategies while watching previous seadons but then goes and makes like the worst decisions ever.

The thing with Frenchie, at least in my mind, is that his goal of getting out the jocks was a good one. However, the way he went about it -- promising safety to everyone and then having to go back on it -- was bad. Trying to form alliances is good, however he went about it horribly wrong.

It's as if he saw Dan, Will, and Derrick's games, but didn't realize how to actually implement that gameplay.

Robnoxious posted:

I’m confused on where to put broadcast chat so I’ll drop it here.

Frenchie was horribad but I’m seriously unclear on where Xavier will paint his target.

He’s kinda good with everyone and I feel is a front runner to run the table.

This may not have been the week to get HOH.

Agreed. The house has just reset, may have been better to let someone else do the dirty work. Looks like the focus is going to be on Brent and Whitney. I wonder if he'll actually go through with it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It's an interesting week. I don't really agree with how Xavier handled things. In his attempt at quelling any potential anger from Brent, he still pissed him off because Brent is smart enough to realize he's a bad pawn. He probably also realizes that why, out of everyone that could have been picked, would he be the pawn against Britini? Xavier should have put up both Brent and Whitney, because he's guaranteed that one of them goes home (obviously, things change in the house). Instead, theoretically, Whitney could win the POV, take Brent off, protect herself, and then Xavier is stuck trying to figure out a 4th HG to go up against Britini. Also, obviously Azah was making a poor game move, but she was making a good human move. Xavier should have just let Azah go on the block, because there may be fallout between the two because of this decision.

It just goes to show that Xavier (and I am sure others in the house) have no respect or consideration for Britini, because it wasn't even a thought to try and smooth it over with her. Instead, it was all about how Brent would react.

Sometimes, I feel like in an attempt to get the least amount of blood on their hands, HOHs manage to create scenarios where they get the most.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Britini is extremely annoying and yells too much. Does she even know the show? Such disbelief and fury at being a pawn against the most obvious boot ever was really somrthing, and asking what she did to "deserve" that really shows she doesnt get it. Like, was she allies with Ky? Did he promise her safety? No and no? Then why wouldn't she be put up!! And then the rapping......

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Azah was completely right, when you're in such a comfortable position this early in the game, 80% of the house is completely on board with your plan, and no matter who is on the block you have the numbers to completely control the vote, there's no need to pull ultra-sneaky double-cross moves. Put up Brent and Whitney, make sure one of them goes home. Maybe even gain some personal loyalty from Britni by agreeing to keep her off the block!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The one thing I wish these past two episodes did would be to show us exactly why everyone, including Whitney, turned on Brent so quickly. I know they showed a little bit of it on Sunday's episode, and his strategy of the biggest move ever is an indicator as well, but I still feel like something is missing. Like, I realize it is pretty obvious, but I just want more! This house seems to loathe him.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

drat I was enjoying him eating poo poo until those exit videos.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

drat, Hannah really hates Brent. She couldn't even fake it, or make it like a good-hearted joke.

So, with Christian winning, I assume Britini is up on the block again. Who else? Whitney? I assume Xavier will steer him away from Derek F and Azah.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Brent is a complete douche and glad to see him go. Props for Hannah being honest in the goodbye video. People didn't vote out Brent because he was a threat they voted him out because they all hated him.

Season so far is way better than the last two.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Monaghan posted:

Brent is a complete douche and glad to see him go. Props for Hannah being honest in the goodbye video. People didn't vote out Brent because he was a threat they voted him out because they all hated him.

Season so far is way better than the last two.

Yeah, that was what was so funny about his chat with Julie. Dude could not admit making any mistake, and just fell back on, "I am a huge threat so it makes sense for them to vote me out!"

This season has been good, so far. I am not even sure of the last season I have actually enjoyed.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

This week feels like it's obvious that Whitney is going out. Who knows, I may be surprised tonight!

But, I think the only person left after this who is not involved in the Kings-Queens alliance, plus the Cookout, is Britini. Depends who wins the HOH, I don't think she has long left in this game.

It could get real interesting this week, depending who has won HOH. Someone in the Cookout, like Xavier, may really have to show his cards.

I still can't believe I generally like this entire cast. People watching the feeds may have a different opinion, but the vibe is a little more loose than in previous years. This must be the first year in a while that a slur hasn't been used. What an acheivement!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, so far the cast has been on their best behavior. Some of the questionable stuff has been by the last few boots and Whitney, so here's hoping the rest of the season goes smoothly with that.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

In Don Wollman voice, "... and it's Endurance HOH night BAYBEE!"

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Dammmmn, Tiffany is diabolical and came to play!

This plan is almost foolproof.

She good.... she realllll good.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, basically they would be fine unless a non-Cookout wins HOH and nominates two Cookout members.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Eeek and this "Good Morning Incident" is the kind of poo poo that puts people off.

Dial it back Tiffany.

It's unnecessary passive aggressiveness.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Happy they’re showing so much strategy this episode. There’s been a ton happening, usually setting up future weeks, but the episodes have done a poor job showing it usually.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Ehh, Whit was a good sport even though she got got.

Better exit interview than the wallpaper that was Brent.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Notice the lower wedge in between their legs.

That's the "James Rule" to prevent squatting it out and lowering your center of gravity.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

That’s a really good addition.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

Dammmmn, Tiffany is diabolical and came to play!

This plan is almost foolproof.

She good.... she realllll good.

Ironically doesn't this plan leave her especially vulnerable, since her partner-pawn is Claire who has safety until jury and thus could not be nominated alongside her?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, that's basically like one more week though, and she's been good with everyone up to this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

ShakeZula posted:

Ironically doesn't this plan leave her especially vulnerable, since her partner-pawn is Claire who has safety until jury and thus could not be nominated alongside her?
It depends on if people suss out that she "conveniently" paired herself up with the only untouchable in the equation.

With that "Good Morning Incident" that was showcased tonight, we know Tiffany has a pretty good strategic game but her social game may ultimately be her downfall.