Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

That rear end in a top hat is definitely looking to move the team, even odds if he can actually make it happen, but I just know he is champing at the bit to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lockback posted:

Right now owners would make a lot more money on expansion instead. Which if Arod/Lore really wanted a team in Seattle would have seemed easier just to try to get that. But I'm not super confident in them staying either.

Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself. There's no compelling reason for them to move the Timberwolves but I can't shake the feeling that the owners are up to something. Probably a complex from when Norm Green moved the North Stars and from Carl Pohlad's attempt to contract the Twins.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

abelwingnut posted:

vegas seems like an obvious place if seatle's out. hell, even if seattle's in the running, i can see the case for vegas over seattle.

Of the places that don't have an NBA team and are at least an hour from a city that has one, Seattle is the 15th largest by the government Metropolitan Statical Area metric, and after that, San Diego is at 17, Tampa at 18, St. Louis at 20, Baltimore at 21, Las Vegas at 27.

San Diego, Tampa, and Baltimore are way too close to existing franchises for that to fly, so Seattle and Las Vegas are really the best options for places that don't have a team nearby.

After that, you're looking at cities in states that already have a team like Austin (29) or Pittsburgh (28) or Columbus (32) or cities in smaller states like Hartford (48) but by that point, you're at MSAs half the size of Las Vegas.

From a sheer population perspective, it's incredible that Seattle doesn't have a team. Vegas is becoming increasingly weird, just because of how fast the population there has grown. Another decade and it'll look downright ridiculous.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lockback posted:

Vegas has a weird vibe of a lot of people from out-of-state and such. Seattle seems like such a huge #1 to me.

KC/St Louis is another interesting one. By themselves they aren't that big but they aren't all that far from each other. There was a plan floating around a while ago with a split-home location where half the games would be in KC, the other have it StL.

And MN will be a bastion of us water-wealthy folks.
Or pick one and call them the Missouri Whatever then do preseason in the other city, maybe play a few home games there and see if they can expand it out into a viable deal with the maintenance on two arenas.

Kansas City in particular seems logical, what with the Jayhawks just across the river. But I dunno how much intrastate rivalry there is and whether folks from St. Louis would buy in.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dexo posted:

But yeah most of my Lonzo I guess you'd call it upside potential belief comes from the fact that he's seemingly gotten better offensively every year. And he's had to like completely remake his shot. Any young player who's put in that much work I'll have some belief in being able to keep either addressing their weaknesses, or make their strengths better to cover said weaknesses.

But he's not top on my list of Bulls free agents to spend 20 million on or whatever.

Yeah, his TS% progression is .444, .487, .517, .551 and his 3pt% progression is .305, .329, .375, .378 without a drop in his usage% (17.4, 16.9, 18.5, 20.5) or by taking less 3pt shots per game (5.7, 4.9, 6.3, 8.3) and he's only 23 years old.

He's obviously not one of those players that can plug into just about any team and be successful, but that's solid progression and on the right team, there's no reason to think he won't continue to grow.

Not that he has a star ceiling or anything, but I definitely think that the right team signing him at 20 mil isn't a mistake.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lockback posted:

It's worth money to me to not have to hunt, and being able to chromecast without jumping through hoops is also really important.

If League Pass would let me pay for a "no blackouts" I'd probably just do that, but they literally won't let me use their product.

Yeah, we made the decision to cancel our cable subscription a few years back when we realized the only thing we were using it for was Timberwolves games and it was costing us a smidge under $1,000 a year.

I'd like to be able to pay to not have to deal with the bullshit too, but if my options are deal with bullshit or pay a grand a year because the NBA won't get with the times, bullshit it is.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Senator Drinksalot posted:

No blackouts will never happen because they want you to buy their overpriced tickets and pay 30 dollars for cold popcorn

I loving hate this the most. I'm a 3 hour drive each way from Target Center but still well within the blackout range. Even if I had the money to attend any game I wanted, I'd have to take off work early for literally any game not played on the weekend.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm definitely not voluntarily listening to Skip for that long to find out if he's accidentally stumbled into a good point or if he's just doing his usual thing, but the idea of Russ being a bad fit for the Lakers doesn't seem all that ridiculous on its face. Is the counterargument that LeBron would be able to shift roles enough that it could work?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

hifi posted:

shift from what to what though? lebrons spent his time with the lakers being a point forward, small ball center, normal slashing forward, 3 point chucker, etc

westbrook does a lot of the stuff that schroder did and on other teams reggie jackson/cam payne had success doing. do you trade absolutely everyone to field a bron/ad/westbrook superteam that you then load manage to somewhere around the 6th seed? probably not.

Russ's whole game is predicated on being the primary facilitator, and I don't know how well that meshes with the facilitator aspects of LeBron's game. Maybe I've got a warped view of Russ, but it seems like you'd lose a big chunk of what makes LeBron so good to have everything flow through Russ. Or the reverse, if LeBron retains much of his facilitation, is Russ gonna be able to be as good being a secondary ball handler.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

"he can shoot the three if he has to"

I know that they didn't mean it like this, but the way this was phrased struck me as funny, like every time he shoots one he's like "ok fine dad i'll shoot the 3 GET OFF MY BACK" like he's taking out the trash

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

the nba earns more money selling exclusive rights to the playoffs and finals to the mouse and turner than it would by selling equivalent units to individual consumers

it could happen but it would never be with the NBA's own product. i can see a future where one of the major streaming services manages to secure what amounts to broadcast rights, if trends continue

not gonna be much longer before there will be more houses with streaming services and no cable than the reverse

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lockback posted:

an over representation of Timberwolves fans.

it is our time to shine!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Porfiriato posted:

I don't quite understand the metrics here, but it's baffling to me that they consider the single best Suns draft pick in recent years to be Cam Johnson at #11 with a 2.24 score. I mean, he's done well for them so far...but that's head and shoulders above the 1.43 they gave for taking Booker as a #13 pick.

If I'm understanding, it's saying that of the players in the 2019 draft only Brandon Clark has had a better career than Cam Johnson and had not already come off the board when Cam was drafted.

For the 2015 draft, when Booker was picked, Montrezl Harrell was still on the board, and by any advanced stat, Montrezl has had a much better career. It's worth pointing out that as far as advanced stats go, Richaun Holmes currently has a marginally better career than Booker.

Now, anyone who watched basketball this year is gonna take Booker in a heartbeat over either of them, but it took Booker a long time to become an efficient scorer. Those first 2-3 seasons he was about at Andrew Wiggins level efficiency and had a bit higher usage rate, which is murder on advanced stats. Give it a couple years and he'll pass Montrezl I'm sure.

It's an interesting approach to comparing drafts year over year, but it strikes me as something that needs full careers to make any kind of reasonable comparison.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MourningView posted:

I'm not saying he had a good series (although he was the only guy on the team who could guard Trae) but it's also lovely for the other players and especially the coach to immediately chuck him under the bus after the game. He deserves to get made fun of by fans but your actual coworkers shouldn't be doing that poo poo publicly. Especially Doc who coached a terrible series and is just trying to distract from his own embarassing playoff history.

It was lovely but at the same time, this all plays into the image of Simmons as a massive headcase who doesn't care about basketball. At a minimum, he should be aware of that perception and not play into it, which he's doing here by going radio silent.

If things are so bad that he can't be bothered to return phone calls, he should tell his agent to request a trade, leak that to the media, and force the 76ers hand. Seems like he's trying to do the Dame thing and have it both ways.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Guess that's what I get for not reading to the end of the article. Certainly the impression I got from the start was that he's not communicating at all. Silly me.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

that is certainly what the sixers insider who leaked the story to the journalist wants you to come away thinking, yes

Which seems like a weird thing to leak if they are definitely going to trade him. If he's gone, who gives a poo poo, he's the Raptors or the Blazers or whoever's problem now.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

That's really cool to see Royce White in there.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'd forgotten how many good players there were in that draft aside from the top. 9 players with 50+ Win Shares. David West at 18, Boris Diaw at 21, Zaza Pachulia at 42, Kyle Korver at 52...

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

This draft feels exceptionally deep, but that might just be me buying into the hype. The top isn't as good as 2003 (duh) but of all the drafts I've watched closely, this one feels like it has the most potential for the prospects currently out of the top 10 or even the lottery to really end up being really, really good players. Obviously won't happen for most of them, but I'd bet we'll be sitting around in 10 years scratching our heads and wondering how we missed on a few guys.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

morestuff posted:

I think an overpay would be north of $15-16M range but I honestly don’t know what this market is going to be like.
I'd qualify anything under $20 mil/year for him as solid, with anything north of that as an overpay. It's obviously early but that seems to be the going rate for a guy who can start every day and who is young enough where you don't gotta really worry about production dropoff at the end of the contract.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Calidus posted:

Does anyone expect Emiid to actually last more than the next 3 years? The Nets and Lakers might actually have longer championships windows than the 76ers right now.

If someone offered me a bet that Chris Paul will play his last NBA game before Embiid, I would not take it.

I hope I'm wrong because I like Embiid but that he's still playing is a miracle of modern medical science.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Spacebump posted:

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1420432018047971328

I can't imagine it would happen but what would your thoughts be on a SGA/Cade trade?

Kuzma to the Timberwolves is interesting, but I don't watch the Lakers much so I don't really have a sense for him as a player outside his stat sheet. On paper it looks like he can play the 4, which is where we have a huge hole (unless you think Jaden McDaniels takes a big step forward), and he's on the same contract length and is around the same age as KAT, and doesn't seem overpaid.

I don't know who the Lakers would want that the Wolves would make available (assuming Rubio or maybe Beasley) but am I missing something about Kuzma that would make him a bad fit?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

If Kyle Kuzma were halloween candy, what candy would he be

those weird strawberry candies because no one will trade anything for him

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rick posted:

MV and I should get a consulting fee if this happens.

Kuzma has been really offensively incompatible with AD so maybe he would be with Towns, who could say. He's a really solid defensive player though now and he really should only play the 4 actually, his time at the 3 is part of the problem. I think it's more of the meme of Kuzma being traded everywhere, which is indeed pretty funny, although there are a lot of teams who Kuzma would help if the cost was low enough.

Beasley is definitely one of the guards that the Lakers are allegedly after.

Interesting, thank you for the writeup!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn't this the year where they kind of can't do anything they want around the village? He's probably bored as hell.

Think of the posting he does right now when he's got access to everything money can buy. Now imagine the posting he would do if he were locked in a lovely room in the Olympic Village with loving nothing to do and nowhere to go.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MourningView posted:

I will say it kinda seems like Chad Ford is throwing as much bullshit at the wall as possible to try to get retweets and drive Patreon subscriptions so maybe grain of salt on anything he tweets right now. He's changing his mock like every five minutes from what I can tell so maybe wait for Friday when he should have his final version up

Don't read too much into it, he'll be updating his final mock through 2023 at least.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

dammit how did I miss that one jeez

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I don't understand why the 76ers would want a pirate's hoard of draft picks and not win now players like what the Pacers allegedly offered. Are they basically viewing this year's run as an unexpected bonus and don't want to try to take an immediate run?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lockback posted:

Wasn't that just Brogdan + the Pacers pick? 76ers have said they don't want draft picks but an all-star player back. They might just not want Brogdan.

I looked and you're right. For some reason, I remembered them offering Brogdan and Turner, but that's not the case.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

Its so they can flip those picks for a star to put next to Embiid

This feels weird, in that if they can't get a star for Simmons directly, what are the odds that the picks they get will equal a star? Just feels like kicking the can down the road.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The 3 team deal at least makes sense to me, I just still don't see how from a strictly 76ers perspective they have Simmons going out for picks and end up with an upgrade coming back in. Granted, my thinking assumes that they won't get that 4 pick haul that they're asking for. I could see them turning that into someone useful.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

triple sulk posted:

Thinking about the potential lovely returns that Ben's gonna get

I'm legit betting it's close to the actual trade that Indiana offered, even if it's not actually the one they end up taking. Maybe with an extra 2nd rounder thrown in so it looks better on paper.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

Its probably easier to trade a hoard of draft picks for a star player than it is to trade Ben Simmons for a star player.

Yeah I just don't see how they're getting that hoard back for him. They don't have any more hoarded first round picks and their own first rounders are gonna be high 20s for the foreseeable future, so it's not like they have much to make the pot all that much sweeter.

triple sulk posted:

What was their offer cause I don't remember seeing it

Brogdon and a 1st round pick, presumably the 13th. I could maybe see a team tossing in a second protected 1st rounder to get the deal done.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MourningView posted:

This is really overestimating how much anyone cares about LSU basketball. If he starts giving football players money to sign with Alabama then they might notice

I feel like the best way forward for Ben is that he takes his sailboat out one evening and it's found floating abandoned a week later. Then next month some NBA team holds a press conference to introduce their latest signing, a mysteriously mustachioed 6'11" Aussie man named Sen Bimmons, a basketball wunderkind they found hooping on the streets of Adelaide.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Fate Accomplice posted:

wow Dame's a goon

https://twitter.com/bosnianbeast27/status/1420824445212635154?s=19

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Doltos posted:

Good things need to stop happening for the Lakers

Cap space is tight but I think he would have gotten a better deal this year than next, given everyone who's gonna be looking to get paid next year.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

verbal enema posted:

LeBon and Westbrook would own maybe probably

I hate the Lakers but I desperately want to see how that will work out in games. Like, they're both good enough that I'm sure they'd figure it out but there's a real chance that it goes up in flames and I am so here for that.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dexo posted:

Uh are we gonna get the crazy draft that we've only been teased with the past few years.

The top 4 feels really boring, but the rest of the lottery has the potential to be stupidly hilarious.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Montrezl Harrell being second in his draft class behind KAT in both Win Shares and VORP (and ahead of KAT in WS/48 on way less minutes) is still hilarious to me. Like, he's the second best guy in his class (statistically) and this is what he's reduced to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1420859675445276681

Are they playing chicken with the god drat Kings? Blink you idiots, you're about to trade for Russ.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was something of the reverse. They're keeping the Kings in the picture in case the Russ deal falls through.