Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Tarkus posted:

Regardless of her age I don't think Drew Barrymore would've worked in that role. Thinking back to that time I'm not sure there's anyone high-profile enough that would've suited it besides Kim Basinger. Maybe Bridget Fonda? Kimberly Williams-Paisley perhaps?

I was going to say Pam Anderson but she wasn't on Baywatch until 1992 and the movie was in production well in advance of that. Daryl Hannah?

The correct answer is Holly is so thinly detailed that it becomes easy to project an "ideal" onto the drawing and how could any gross female flesh compare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

barbecue at the folks posted:

The whole movie has this weird "we couldn't really bother" air to it. The designs most suck, the animation seems decent at best, the characters don't seem to interact with their surroundings and feel pasted on. The backgrounds are pretty... cool, I grant that.

The surroundings are to me a really good example of the movies failings because they look so bland and empty and devoid of any actual thought to how a 3D person would inhabit that space. If you see a making of on Who Framed Roger Rabbit the nightclub scene with the penguin waiters is this ridiculously complex process of people moving metal arms with trays so that the appearance is that of everything being "real" in a real space that people and toons inhabit. Cool World barely even attempts to bother and it just shows, especially with the high-detail backgrounds creating this weird clash with the completely sterile, empty floors.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

coronatae posted:

When the Tale of the Cool World ends I will put real actual goonbux towards the same thing for Hey Good Lookin' which has maybe one of the worst faux-50's-nostalgia soundtracks of all time and even hornier animation than Cool World

The official trailer promises true agony in thread form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_RRdJjbuMI

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

SatansOnion posted:

the most astonishing part of that trailer is that the dude in the thumbnail image isn’t an anthropomorphic camel, as far as I can tell

I don't think he's supposed to be human, see the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n2dfwBuKXI

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Doodles are demons because Cool World is hell. That's why there's no loving and disembodied sketch heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I have extremely vague memories of seeing this in the theater and thinking it made more sense, if only a little, but now I wonder if the speed of the movie (and dullness) causes someone to fill in a lot of blanks in order to make sense of it, versus reading the play by play.

Like, I remember it being bad and boring (even for a kid in high school) but not so deeply incoherent.