Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
Mamo seems like the highest skill ceiling pokemon to date. Ice drop move (don’t recall the name) into high horse power is a pretty long duration aoe stun and earthquake into ice fang is a very powerful repositioning combo. Both those combos feel incredibly strong when the player is reliably hitting them, but the cooldowns are long and our pig boy doesn’t do poo poo while waiting. I think the latter option is going to be better for playing with randos on most circumstances.

Interested to see what he feels like to play against once folks picking him have a clue what they’re doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I took a break and am in Great rank.

For love nor money I cannot get people to play objectives at all. I play Alolan ninetales top and run down to do stuff like contest Dreadnaw but nine times out of ten my team just ignores it and dies on the tower or they end up skirmishing whilst I slowly plink the dreadnaw down.

Zapdos is even worse because half the team will go to contest and at least one or two players will decide the optimal strategy is to go backdoor the enemy towers whilst we all die.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

I'm blown my battery was dead as a doorknob because the one game I played with you all tonight was tight as gently caress, thanks!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

TheHan posted:

I played against a good chunk of Mamos last night and I don't know if Talonflame's just that good now but it felt way easier to 1v1 than expected? I guess it could be a while before players figure out what he does best but it's kinda refreshing they didn't throw another hopelessly busted pokémon on the pile.

Yeah Talonflame got good.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I feel like I can never get kills with speedsters or all arounders. Enemies just run off or I lose 1v1s and get chased down. If I have escape skills I can't finish with damage

I think a lot of it is not knowing if I'm more leveled than the other guy and when I am it feels like I didn't really do anything to do so, and when I'm out leveled I feel helpless

I guess I can just grind mobs and try to gank and only worry about scoring in the last two minutes but that seems kind of boring

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I.. I just can't anymore.

I'm so so so tired of this game screwing me every chance it gets.

Every game is either:.
-all my teammates are awful, they either all go four in a lane, don't prioritize objectives, or argue over center. (Three speedsters? Wtf.)
Or
-everything goes fine, everything is pretty standard, despite being in the lead we lose zap, and so we lose.

Out of my last 10 games, I've won maybe 2.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Be warned - there's an exploit going around where by doing some weird poo poo where an entire team tries not to score and surrenders early, the game bugs out and gives the win to them instead of the other team. I'd stay away from ranked until it gets hotfixed.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

The Deleter posted:

Be warned - there's an exploit going around where by doing some weird poo poo where an entire team tries not to score and surrenders early, the game bugs out and gives the win to them instead of the other team. I'd stay away from ranked until it gets hotfixed.

Lol.. is it a 0 - 0 tie and the surrendering team wins?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

War Wizard posted:

Lol.. is it a 0 - 0 tie and the surrendering team wins?

Nope, you can be winning 300+ points and they'll win

Apparently it's a weird cache issue actually? I have no clue how this bug works but apparently clear your cache.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Thanks for the invite last night Shoegazing! Sorry I dropped after 1 match - I was already crashing but playin with goons was worth it.

Could you plop another discord invite? I thought we were on Pokegoons, but I'm not actually on Nintengoons.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Oyster posted:

Thanks for the invite last night Shoegazing! Sorry I dropped after 1 match - I was already crashing but playin with goons was worth it.

Could you plop another discord invite? I thought we were on Pokegoons, but I'm not actually on Nintengoons.

We hang out in the #pokemon channel

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rudoku posted:

Yeah Talonflame got good.

She's a loving terror now. Holy poo poo I've gone from being unable to break 50:50 to carrying games with 15-20 kills and about half as many assists.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Natural 20 posted:

She's a loving terror now. Holy poo poo I've gone from being unable to break 50:50 to carrying games with 15-20 kills and about half as many assists.

Yeah as long as you don't miss the unite move and end up in South Dakota it's not hard to murder birb ppl

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Yeah after that post I realized Talonflame is a loving monster now. Used to be you could only take on enemies that were already knocking on death's door to even have a chance at coming out on top, now I'm divebombing into crowds and just wiping teams. Greninja went from my most hated enemy to a delicious entrée.

too bad the Unite Move's still awful. If I'm not dying during the massive windup then I'm pushing the enemy Zeraora into my own team and getting them electrocuted to death.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Guys I'm really bad at this game but it's a lot of fun!

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
Forgive me for missing the loving newbie FAQ but is there a TeamSpeak or anything for LFG? It's much more fun to cheese MOBAs with new accounts.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

We use an AIM chat room and irq direct messaging

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Kirios posted:

Guys I'm really bad at this game but it's a lot of fun!

Same!

I like the 3 held items system way better than navigating through pages of items that any/every char CAN use but only has 4 optimal choices for each build etc. I can focus more on the game and not fumble fingering my moveset choices mid kerfuffle this way

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

PleasantDirge posted:

Same!

I like the 3 held items system way better than navigating through pages of items that any/every char CAN use but only has 4 optimal choices for each build etc. I can focus more on the game and not fumble fingering my moveset choices mid kerfuffle this way

This game has that, too! Don't bother with Float Stone, Leftovers, and Shell Bell. They seem good on paper, until you find out how much Movement Speed and HP a pokemon has and how long 8 seconds of not fighting is.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
They should refund all enchancers on items spent when they buff/nerf them. They crippled my boy Score Shield, and I'm stuck with a lvl30 kneepad that is useless. It helped me get to Master with my crustly buddie, but now it's hot garbage

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Sylveon's out. seems okay. squishy, but good damage.

Does anyone know what their plans are going forward? We got all the mons that were previously announced, and they've been pumping them out at a pretty good pace, so I'm curious what they'll do.

The Harrowing
May 3, 2021

Shoegazing posted:

A bunch of us hang out in the #pokemon channel in the Nintengoon Discord. We had four of us playing a bunch of tense games last night.

Reminder for anyone looking for a squad!
#G1A5RQNY

Thanks for this!

The Harrowing
May 3, 2021

Pamela Springstein posted:

Sylveon's out. seems okay. squishy, but good damage.

Does anyone know what their plans are going forward? We got all the mons that were previously announced, and they've been pumping them out at a pretty good pace, so I'm curious what they'll do.

Definitely didn't expect Mamo or Sylveon so early on in the list.

I'm curious to see how the ranked meta evolves as more and more pokes get added.

Also... what the hell are they going to do with Wailord if that gets released?

Battle prep > "I'll go Central, Top and Bottom"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Wailord will just sit middle unable to score points but attack anywhere on the map

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

In other news, Sylveon seems broken as all hell. I've only gotten two or three games in with her, but her damage and cooldowns are just ridiculous. She evolves at 4, gets both her moves by 6, and gets her ult at 8(!) which means she can have it for the first Drednaw fight if she does well in lane. I can't figure out if Hyper Voice or Mystical Fire is the better pick -- Hyper Voice is really satisfying to use and does just obnoxious AOE damage and makes you murderous at kiting, but Mystical Fire does a ton of single target damage and gives you a really low cooldown dash too. I think Hyper Voice would be the better teamfight pick, but all things considered she might be a little too vulnerable without any way to reposition yourself in case of trouble.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Yeah Sylveon's so shamelessly busted that it kinda doesn't feel fun playing it. Hyper Voice is the funnier option but mystical fire might as well have 0 sec cooldown and gives you a dash for no reason. Like I get that releasing overpowered heroes will get people to spend more money but...play it a little closer to the vest y'now?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's just the nature of the game. Blastoise was busted on release, Mamoswine is good to mediocre. Sylveon is egregious, but after a certain point no amount of numbers and math survives contact with actual players.

Bumping up all of her moves/evolutions by a level would probably help though, because she gets Talonflame levels of murder power real fast.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The best rule for balancing games with lots of playable characters: if everyone is broken, then nobody is

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

The Deleter posted:

It's just the nature of the game. Blastoise was busted on release, Mamoswine is good to mediocre. Sylveon is egregious, but after a certain point no amount of numbers and math survives contact with actual players.

It's not, though -- her damage numbers are just really high where they don't need to be. Blastoise was bugged on release so it's a little more understandable (although his ult is still doing way more damage than it really needs to). It oughta be pretty easy to compare the damage on Hyper Voice to, say, Water Shuriken and recognize that Sylveon is doing way more damage than other Pokemon can do with a single ability. It's just that, since she's squishy and has no CC and needs to get reasonably close to attack, her damage numbers probably should be pretty good, and due to the nature of mobile games and MOBAs I think they'd rather start her out OP and rein her in over time than have her start out underwhelming and not sell more Aeos Gems.

DC Murderverse posted:

The best rule for balancing games with lots of playable characters: if everyone is broken, then nobody is

I think they've generally done a good job with this, honestly. There are only a couple Pokemon that feel weak, and while there's been a couple too-strong Pokemon each patch, for the most part you can play pretty much anyone and not feel underpowered. I do wish they'd give Pikachu a decent buff, though. :(
And Slowbro needs a total rework, I think -- playing 6 games with him for the battle pass mission was an absolute slog.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

DC Murderverse posted:

God I miss Marvel Heroes

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I guess it is nice that they'll give older pokemon a ridiculous game breaking buff that brings them in line with new releases. It kinda makes matches a bit monotonous since naturally everyone's using the busted rear end mons exclusively.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I've hit Veteran and reached the point where it feels like the enemy team is almost always coordinated in voice chat and I frankly would rather die than doing the same so, farewell game, you were fun.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bogart posted:

I've hit Veteran and reached the point where it feels like the enemy team is almost always coordinated in voice chat and I frankly would rather die than doing the same so, farewell game, you were fun.

Wait, can people who are grouped queue with people who aren't? That's kinda lovely.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol went 1 for 7 in ranked tonight. My only win was against bots

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Bot matches are what kills my desire to play for a few days. I know 8m losing constantly! Don't add insult to that injury!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah I agree it just feels worse.

Think I might take a break from ranked until sylveon and venusaur get changed a bit as well.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Sylveon nerf just dropped

I find normal more fun than ranked. ranked feels very tryhard sometimes and I ain't down for that. plus normal queues are faster and you can use the free rotation mons.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Bot matches have gotten even worse since now they gave the AI a difficulty bump while your bot teammates still play like dogshit. Now you get to suffer the indiginity of slogging through an obvious pity match that you'll almost certainly lose if you don't play your rear end off. It's such a poorly implemented feature. Between that and a huge amount of my last matches being up against premade 5 man units the game's just not as fun playing solo anymore.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm getting horrible lag in matches, both on wifi and 4g. Really frustrating since I'm also getting penalty points for idling when trying to fix it. By lag, I mean 2-3 seconds of input delay , can't even move where I want. Happened this morning and at lunchtime. Just brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I'm getting horrible lag in matches, both on wifi and 4g. Really frustrating since I'm also getting penalty points for idling when trying to fix it. By lag, I mean 2-3 seconds of input delay , can't even move where I want. Happened this morning and at lunchtime. Just brutal

I get this here and there, and it only seemed to start after the mobile patch, it's always been rock-solid during the Switch days. I did just switch over to ATT internet and no one is able to tell me for sure if "fiber-to-the-neighborhood" is going to have the lag of their DSL, so it's hard to tell whether it's the new internet or if the game (or Switch) is just being weird.

Pamela Springstein posted:

I find normal more fun than ranked. ranked feels very tryhard sometimes and I ain't down for that. plus normal queues are faster and you can use the free rotation mons.

Yeah, I play 90% normal matches myself, I've only dipped my toe into Ranked to try to get some of the end of season rewards. It's not always a fun experience when you attach even a meaningless ranking system to it -- I enjoy playing a huge chunk of the roster, but I feel like I should only ever play Eldegoss or Cinderace/Greninja because otherwise I'm not gonna be strong enough to put the whole team on my back, and it's a lot of pressure because I HAVE to put the whole team on my back a lot of the time and be responsible for everything.

Had a great game the other night as Cinder, ran the whole game from the jungle, knocked down both outer goals, two Drednaws, almost level 15 at 2:00, and was 2v1 and 3v1ing the enemy squad outside Zapdos while three of my team were whittling down Zapdos' HP. But of course since I wasn't directly there in the Zapdos pit to score the last hit, the enemy Absol managed to sneak past all three of my useless-rear end NPCs and steal it despite the pile of bodies at my feet, and they beat us by like 20 points. :(

That was my promotion game into Veteran, too. :(