Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TL;DR: Post about PS3 era games in all their jank glory

Goon Playstation Discord

oh great, another playstation thread :rolleyes:
The great PS4 thread is still going "strong" and the PS5 thread is just getting started. I felt bad stinking up those threads with my ps3 ramblings so here's this thread, feel free to stink it up also

What's the PS3?
The PS3 is the good console Sony made. It came out in 2006 and cost roughly $7000 dollars at launch.

What's this thread for?
Here's a thread to talk about old PS3 fun and jank games of the PS360 era you're playing.
  • Post your thoughts on the console and the games.
  • Post pics of your collection if you got any cool games or a good stack.
  • Post if you're playing a cool or terrible old game.
  • :justpost:

I genuinely love the PS360 time-period and the rotten generation of brown, cheap, poo poo shooters it spawned. It represents the horrible adolescent period between the SD of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox and the actual proper HD of the PS4/Xbox One. Many devs couldn't figure out how to make games run well on this nightmare machine so lots of stuff runs sub-30fps at 720p.

What can it play?
There were a LOT of PS3 games, over 2000.
Altogether, a Fat model with full PS2 back compat can play over 7000 PS1, PS2 and PS3 games, making it better than the PS5, which can currently play four games.
You can get a lot of physical games cheap on eBay/your local game stores/wherever, there aren't many rare physical games.
The PSN store also still sells PS3 games but as of 2021 you can only access the digital store through the console. It's a pain in the rear end and really slow but it still works. Sony were gonna shut it down but I emailed them and said "cut it out" so it's still up.

Should I get one in 2021?
Sure, go for it. It's a cool console with loads of games. It's from an era before mid-gen refreshes so whatever model you get should play most PS3 games fine, assuming it's in good condition.
A small number of the Fat models can play nearly all PS2 games from disk but they're really old and increasingly hard to find in working order. The odds of getting a working one of these at a reasonable price are really low.
Most of the Fats and all the newer slim models can play most PS1 games from disk no problem and some PS2 games bought from PSN via software emulation but NOT PS2 disks. You can probably get them second-hand easily enough in the usual places.

Any interesting games to look out for? Exclusives?
There's a few games that never got ported to newer consoles and remain trapped on the PS3
  • Metal Gear Solid 4 is probably the most well-known one. It's a really fun game and makes great use of the weird and wonderful PS3 hardware. Probably the biggest reason to still keep this thing plugged in now that the previously PS3- only Demon's Souls got remade on PS5.
  • Yakuza: Dead Souls is trapped on PS3! I think it's the only Yakuza game not ported to newer systems? The series has exploded in popularity since the PS3 days so maybe it'll come to newer consoles some day...
  • Killzone 2/3 are two really impressive looking (if dull) shooters from Guerilla Games, who'd go on to make the great Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4.
  • Siren Blood Curse is a remake of the old PS2 horror series. It has a really good soundtrack and cool spooky vibes.
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes is a cool looking action RPG game with a really nice visual style. I haven't played it but I'm gonna seek it out.
  • Haze is an FPS game so bad that it killed Free Radical Design, the makers of the excellent TimeSplitters series. Worth a look in a "so bad it's bad" way.
  • Drakengard 3 is the last of Yoko Taro's Drakengard series before he directed Nier: Automata.
There's a few more PS3 exclusives here although a few of these have since been rereleased on PS4/PS5

Anything else I should know before I start buying games?
A lot of the multi-plat games from this gen play on Xbox One/Series in backwards compatibility mode at much better resolution/load times so if you own either of those machines, it's worth checking if a game is on those as there's a very good chance it'll run and look better than on PS3.

QoP, what games you got?
Here's my current phsyical collection. Missing a few that I lent out pre-Covid but this is most

Any recommendations?
  • ICO & Shadow of the Colossus HD is absolutely god-tier adventure gaming. There was a remake of SOTC on PS4 but it changed the art style. ICO is still amazing and it's cool playing it at 60fps. The music is amazing.
  • El Shaddai Ascension to the Metatron is this weird third-person action game with loads of biblical madness in the story. It's really unique and worth checking out. Never got ported.
  • MGS4 is really good.
  • Riddick: Dark Athena isn't an amazing port so if you have a good PC, play it there but it's a really good game. Underrated at the time I think. It also comes with a remaster of Butcher Bay, which is the best film-to-game adaptation ever made.

Join the Goon Playstation Discord and chat away.

Add me on PSN @ QuantumOfP if you wanna play some random PS3 games. Are the servers still up? I dunno!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyufDxxWIsM

access the secret PS2 emulation menu. turn off VSYNC if it's on for better responsiveness:

Vikar Jerome posted:

ps3 users

https://twitter.com/StickmanSham/status/1406601152528097285

No Modding needed. :eyepop: works on all the ps2 classics, not sure if ps1 classics tho.
Just press left dpad + square + L1 + R1 for ten seconds, release then press start at the settings menu (PS Button)

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've just started playing 2009's Wolfenstein.

This was the last game id software were involved with before they got bought by Zenimax. It's made by Raven, who also made the somewhat interesting PS3-era shooter Singularity. I've only just started it but it has interesting quasi-open world stuff to it. I remember playing it on 360 at a friend's house years ago but I never got really into it. I think it has like magic powers????

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hi I just wanted to mention in the year 2021, even though I have a ps5, I played and platinumed 3 ps3 games

Sound Shapes

Alone in the Dark Inferno

Back to the Future, the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Alone in the Dark Inferno

I started this one, it was one of the weirdest games I've ever played. It felt like it was made by someone who had no idea how games are made and put literally every gimmick available into it. Is it work finishing?

Baggot posted:

My PS3 is still hooked up and I intend to eventually finish playing several games on it that aren't available on subsequent PlayStation generations!

:hai: :whatup:

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

My PS3 is still hooked up and I intend to eventually finish playing several games on it that aren't available on subsequent PlayStation generations!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
PS3 was my intro to online gaming, with Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, and TLOU. the good ol' days when online didn't require PS+. I had a slim, so I could play PS1 games (my excuse to beat FF9 another like three times), which was fun. it was a fun console that I had good times with.

e: mine is also still connected! eventually I'm going to beat and platinum Sly 3, like Ineffiable.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I started this one, it was one of the weirdest games I've ever played. It felt like it was made by someone who had no idea how games are made and put literally every gimmick available into it. Is it work finishing?

Not really. The story is kind of a cliffhanger, gameplay is very awkward, and a bit difficult to make things work the way you want.

It's a mercifully short and kinda easy platinum.

If you love exploring quirky games and are willing to fight the controls, it's a very interesting idea of how a game shouldn't be done.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
making a ps3 thread when the ps4 one is about to die, chad move. 2 3 and 5, all you need.

okay so where do i get proper triggers from for my ds3, i ordered some grips that clip on the triggers but they are too big.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

making a ps3 thread when the ps4 one is about to die, chad move. 2 3 and 5, all you need.

okay so where do i get proper triggers from for my ds3, i ordered some grips that clip on the triggers but they are too big.

do you have your post handy about getting the PS2 emulator options on PS3 up? i used it tonight, pretty cool.

Ineffiable posted:

If you love exploring quirky games and are willing to fight the controls, it's a very interesting idea of how a game shouldn't be done.

I definitely love weird games so I'll go back and finish it. I hate having unfinished games lying around!

morallyobjected posted:

the good ol' days when online didn't require PS+. I

This was a huge deal for me, I came from PC gaming so not having to pay for online was a big decision-maker when it came to getting a console. PS4 onwards needing a paid sub to pay online stinks and has definitely made me play less online

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

do you have your post handy about getting the PS2 emulator options on PS3 up? i used it tonight, pretty cool.

Vikar Jerome posted:

ps3 users

https://twitter.com/StickmanSham/status/1406601152528097285

No Modding needed. :eyepop: works on all the ps2 classics, not sure if ps1 classics tho.
Just press left dpad + square + L1 + R1 for ten seconds, release then press start at the settings menu (PS Button)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

This was a huge deal for me, I came from PC gaming so not having to pay for online was a big decision-maker when it came to getting a console. PS4 onwards needing a paid sub to pay online stinks and has definitely made me play less online

you can play Fortnite, Gems of War, and Genshin Impact at least!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

my current ps3 physicals.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

omg stranglehold, I love that game on PC back in the day, I gotta get that

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I was way, way late to the PS3 (2016 I think), and I'm still actively playing catch-up on that library. Got it still hooked up and currently playing through Dead Space 2, having a great time with it.

I bought a big pile of PS3 games I hadn't got around to earlier this year, about 20 or so over a few months, and I think it cost about or under £100 all in. Really good & high-profile stuff too - Devil May Cry 1-4, Dragon Age 1 & 2, God of Wars, inFamous 1 & 2, MGS HD Trilogy & 4, LittleBigPlanet... a lot to keep me busy for the next year or two, for real cheap.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Raylax posted:

I was way, way late to the PS3 (2016 I think), and I'm still actively playing catch-up on that library. Got it still hooked up and currently playing through Dead Space 2, having a great time with it.

I bought a big pile of PS3 games I hadn't got around to earlier this year, about 20 or so over a few months, and I think it cost about or under £100 all in. Really good & high-profile stuff too - Devil May Cry 1-4, Dragon Age 1 & 2, God of Wars, inFamous 1 & 2, MGS HD Trilogy & 4, LittleBigPlanet... a lot to keep me busy for the next year or two, for real cheap.

Dragon Age 1 comes with all the expansion packs and will easily keep you busy for months. That was one of the games I really got into on PS3, like one of very few games I'd wake up really early to play. It's excellent.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Puppeteer
Folklore
3d dot Game Heroes
Lots of Ratchet & Clank Games

These are PS3 exclusives that I can think of.

E: my modest collection

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 23, 2021

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Gonna have to get some of my collection pictures for you guys. Stay tuned. I won't be outdone here!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Hell yeah collection pics! Here's mine

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The PS3 has no games.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gen 7, the Dark Age of gaming. I love that you made a thread tho :swoon:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Okay I'm not bothering with the collection. That's boring. And I have to rearrange it to show it off at once.

Here's some poo poo you probably haven't seen!

Asura's Wrath Japanese collectors edition

Gran Turismo 6 Hk/ENGLISH collectors edition

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus JP LE

Zone of the Enders/MGS HD Collection Japanese limited editions

My rarest PS3 game:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PS3 was a fantastic system in a lot of ways and has a great library. It is a goddamn miracle what that system was capable of with only 512 megs of RAM that was shared in a specific way.

I will say that using it for digital content is an absolute slog (and it's worse than it was a few years ago) and I'd strongly advise you get any games now physically unless there's some massive price difference (like $20 for digital but $100+ for physical) like for the PS1/PS2 digital games.

On top of the BC mentions from earlier, games which are also on 360 are probably a better bet there too from a management standpoint, so bear that in mind.

And if you can stream worth a drat, PS Now is nothing to sneeze at, and covers a very large chunk of the PS3-exclusive library.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wonder what happened to my Ico/SotC collection. I bet my nephew sold it without telling me!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hey guess what my favorite ps3 game is.

It's actually Dark Souls

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 23, 2021

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I've downsized over the years, so here's what remains of my physical collection:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I still have 6 PS3 games on disc

- Dark Souls PTDE
- Demon's Souls
- Bionic Commando
- Bayonetta
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
- Vanquish

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

What's that you say, if Ineffiable loves Demon's Souls and loves Dark Souls even more than that, what does that look like?

First cubby on the bottom left is from software ps1 games, demon's souls and bloodborne. Next cubby is various Dark Souls editions, including two Japanese ones in the front with the best cover art. Third cubby is my Japanese DS1-3 limited editions plus USA ps4 sealed copies of Dark Souls 1-3. The last two cubbies to the right are some of my ps3 limited edition games.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Ineffiable posted:

What's that you say, if Ineffiable loves Demon's Souls and loves Dark Souls even more than that, what does that look like?

First cubby on the bottom left is from software ps1 games, demon's souls and bloodborne. Next cubby is various Dark Souls editions, including two Japanese ones in the front with the best cover art. Third cubby is my Japanese DS1-3 limited editions plus USA ps4 sealed copies of Dark Souls 1-3. The last two cubbies to the right are some of my ps3 limited edition games.

Holy crap dude, I wanna cry at how glorious this is!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yowza. most of the FROM stuff I played on PS1 was Armored Core related, Project Phantasma etc. Props to y'all who were on the other poo poo.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
This is my least favorite generation of consoles, but mostly because all the multiplatform games (and the store lol) started running like crap towards the end of the cycle. Looking at these boxes is still making me feel nostalgic though.

In addition to not having to pay for online, my favorite thing about the PS3 compared to the 360 is the generic DVD Player-rear end looking Cross Media Bar. Love a functional UI with no ads. Also being able to pay for things with real money instead of fake Microsoft fun bucks.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Randallteal posted:

This is my least favorite generation of consoles, but mostly because all the multiplatform games (and the store lol) started running like crap towards the end of the cycle. Looking at these boxes is still making me feel nostalgic though.

In addition to not having to pay for online, my favorite thing about the PS3 compared to the 360 is the generic DVD Player-rear end looking Cross Media Bar. Love a functional UI with no ads. Also being able to pay for things with real money instead of fake Microsoft fun bucks.

I think the PS3 XMB was seen as a big deal back then because it was actually designed in mind to be used on other devices, like the XMB became the standard interface for TVs/DVD players for a long time because the PS3 acted as the interface vanguard

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
And the fact that it could play blu-ray discs. I have so many good nostalgic memories from that gen, it's probably my second favorite Playstation console next to PS2, and it's drat close to being number 1.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Whattup ps3 thread!

Absolutely loved the ps3 back in the day. Sold my console sometime after the ps4 came out. Kinda regretted that. I did buy a super slim over covid and a few games.

My paltry library. Have a fair amount of digital titles as well (apparently bought the Simpson's arcade before Konami took it down from the store.) The first one is a best of psn disc I got solely to have Tokyo Jungle (the best ps3 game of all time :colbert:)

Edit: going back to play the ps3 now is rough. There are some absolute dogshit framerates. I fired up battlefield 3 a little while back and oh man does it run like poo poo. There are bizarrely people still playing it. Unfortunately I can't seem to get the ingame server browser to work at all.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 23, 2021

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU4Oy5_Ipjk

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Very nice collection! Hold on to that PSN Collection disc for whenever the inevitable PS Store closing happens. It'll be gold at that point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's funny that in retrospect, the PS3 beat the 360. It trailed basically until the very very end and then squeaked by. And looking at the exclusives, it had quite a bit more.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

It's funny that in retrospect, the PS3 beat the 360. It trailed basically until the very very end and then squeaked by. And looking at the exclusives, it had quite a bit more.

it's amazing that the PS3 beat the 360 considering that all of PSN was just down for like a month, maybe longer (I don't remember exactly how long) after the hack

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

lmao. also lmao at the original Chad warden vid.

biggest regret is not getting the gunmetal PS3 that was bundled with mgs4. It looked so cool.

The legendary edition of the MGS collection is so good too, esp if you’ve never played any Metal Gear. They should’ve done like a box set of them all when V came out.