Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ps3 is such an awkward generation because its got a console successor followup (ps4) that is superior in every conceivable way. Faster UI, better controller, way better performance. And not to mention, the followup console 'stole' a lot of exclusives in the form of remasters. But it's (ps3) actually not that much better than the prior console (ps2) , just visually better textures/models and slightly better resolution is the main advantage it has.

I feel like you can't say that about ps2 to ps3 or ps1 to ps2. Those consoles are still pretty well made and get to the point about playing games and don't have bogged down UI features. Ps3 can literally be a pain to play compared to other Playstations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I just got mine set up with CFW and now that I'm actually playing some games, I think I loving hate this controller. The triggers and sticks are dogshit. It is an official DS3.

I’m usually not someone to complain about old controllers since I still use NES/SNES ones. I wish there was a quality 3rd party option that also had the analog buttons.

Not too many games actually use the buttons fwiw. I know the MGS releases and Gran Turismo do, there are probably few others. You should prob be fine for the most part just using a DS4. Gonna suck if you have to go and play any game that requires them though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

I just got mine set up with CFW and now that I'm actually playing some games, I think I loving hate this controller. The triggers and sticks are dogshit. It is an official DS3.

I’m usually not someone to complain about old controllers since I still use NES/SNES ones. I wish there was a quality 3rd party option that also had the analog buttons.

it really is a piece of poo poo. I largely contribute my near decade of playing most games on Xbox even though I always had a PS, to Sony not redesigning the ergonomics on their controller for close to 20 years. Although I can get by using a DS3 as long as it's not a shooter. Weirdly I could only use a dualshock for Souls games. I hated them with a Xbox controller. Probably because your fingers settle firmly on the triggers instead of the bumpers on Xbox vs the original PS design hovering over the bumpers.

I like that both the bumpers and triggers are comfortable on newer sony controllers a lot. Xbox still sucks for that. The bumpers feel very secondary while they are much better for regular use on PS, but at the same time the triggers don't feel like poo poo anymore with the DS4 or Dualsense.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Where's my PS2 thread? I need to talk about Gitaroo Man.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902050&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

There you go :buddy:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wheres the ps1 thread?

thought we believed in thread generations

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ineffiable posted:

Ps3 is such an awkward generation because its got a console successor followup (ps4) that is superior in every conceivable way. Faster UI, better controller, way better performance. And not to mention, the followup console 'stole' a lot of exclusives in the form of remasters. But it's (ps3) actually not that much better than the prior console (ps2) , just visually better textures/models and slightly better resolution is the main advantage it has.

I feel like you can't say that about ps2 to ps3 or ps1 to ps2. Those consoles are still pretty well made and get to the point about playing games and don't have bogged down UI features. Ps3 can literally be a pain to play compared to other Playstations.

it can play audio CDs though!!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vikar Jerome posted:

wheres the ps1 thread?

thought we believed in thread generations

Right here my dude https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905884

Also here's a PSP thread for good measure: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954432

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

dog nougat posted:

Not too many games actually use the buttons fwiw. I know the MGS releases and Gran Turismo do, there are probably few others. You should prob be fine for the most part just using a DS4. Gonna suck if you have to go and play any game that requires them though.

I got this for Metal Gear mainly so that's not really an option. I do think the 4 and 5 controllers are massive improvements.

veni veni veni posted:

it really is a piece of poo poo. I largely contribute my near decade of playing most games on Xbox even though I always had a PS, to Sony not redesigning the ergonomics on their controller for close to 20 years. Although I can get by using a DS3 as long as it's not a shooter. Weirdly I could only use a dualshock for Souls games. I hated them with a Xbox controller. Probably because your fingers settle firmly on the triggers instead of the bumpers on Xbox vs the original PS design hovering over the bumpers.

I like that both the bumpers and triggers are comfortable on newer sony controllers a lot. Xbox still sucks for that. The bumpers feel very secondary while they are much better for regular use on PS, but at the same time the triggers don't feel like poo poo anymore with the DS4 or Dualsense.

I like the Switch Pro controller best due to me liking the shoulder and trigger buttons the best. I actually like that the triggers aren't analog since they feel more comfortable to use and you don't even lose that much other than in some racing games.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 3, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

how insane was it that they put all Analog buttons in the DS3. and it's still one of the worst feeling controllers ever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I am working on getting my hands on a copy of PS3 DISC ONLY exclusive Folkore. It goes for about €60 on eBay but I am trying to set up an exchange with a cool user here. I'd love to play it and post about it, it's maybe one of like 3 games ever set in Ireland so I find that really interesting.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

how insane was it that they put all Analog buttons in the DS3. and it's still one of the worst feeling controllers ever.

They suck to use too. I played through various Metal Gear games multiple times on PS2/3 before even knowing it was a feature. The 360 port of 3 puts the functionality from them on the dpad and it works so much better there.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Nintendo gets a lot of stick for stupid controller gimmicks but I think Sony's worse for controller gimmicks that are so pointless that almost no game ever actually uses them. I completely forget about the PS3's analog buttons every single time until someone mentions it on the internet, and then I go "oh yeah, that was weird" and immediately forget again.

The Vita had the weird back panel thing (Tearaway, naff all else), and the PS4 has that big capacitive touch button thing that every developer unanimously agreed would be used as two regular buttons to open map and inventory, and for absolutely no other purpose.

It's kinda refreshing to see the PS5's controller gimmicks be actually used (so far, anyway, it's still early days). Although the oversized map button's still there, and still exclusively serving map opening duty. Someone at Sony really believes in that thing.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The analog buttons on the PS3 were at least a holdover from the dualshock 2, when they were finally getting to what a controller should be. poo poo like the IR camera on the joycon is way more baffling.

The sad thing about the DS4's touchpad is that it would make it the absolute perfect PC controller, if only it had been Microsoft that did it.

E: hell, I'm trying to think of a single PS game outside Armored Core that used L3/R3 before the PS3. Those would absolutely be considered gimmicks for most of the first decade of their life, and are now indispensable.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 4, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

So the slim I just got just had a weird issue where when I turned it on, it turned off after a few seconds and now the power light is flashing red and it wouldn’t turn back on until I unplugged and plugged it back in. Is it dying?

I knew about them needing thermal paste reapplying before getting a used one, how difficult is that to do? The only time I ever opened up a console was my GameCube way back to install a region toggle.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 4, 2021

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Kirios posted:

It's really loving hard! But still awesome.

All this Metal Gear talk has made me fire up the MGS Database on the PS3 (with MGS4 save there to unlock the hidden parts). I don't think that uses the analog buttons at least.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been trying to play the original Ratchet & Clank. Well, the PS3 version. And man, does it feel bad to play.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been trying to play the original Ratchet & Clank. Well, the PS3 version. And man, does it feel bad to play.

Most of that is just early PS2 jank, but some of it is the HD port was done by morons.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The PS3/HD version feels about the same as the PS2 one did though, it's mostly a few visual things that were different. R&C2/3 is where it starts to get good and you're prolly better off playing the remake/reimagining for PS4 as far as R&C1 goes.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

The HD has slow down in places which were fine in the original, but mostly the problems were in the design of R&C 1, and how expectations have evolved.

How R&C 1 is meant to be played is really typified by the pyrocitor; you're supposed to be spinning like a top down twin stick shooter ala Smash TV, not aiming like a third person shooter like literally every other game with that camera.

R&C 2 realised that was stupid and it has been TPS ever since.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

kirbysuperstar posted:

The PS3/HD version feels about the same as the PS2 one did though, it's mostly a few visual things that were different. R&C2/3 is where it starts to get good and you're prolly better off playing the remake/reimagining for PS4 as far as R&C1 goes.

I played and loved it. Then remembered I have the trilogy on my shelf and decided to go back to the beginning. Rift Apart looks so good and I want to play the games leading up to it in order. Just not liking the original game. I looked at a walkthrough to get a sense for how long it is and there are like 20 levels or something like that. Woof.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I am working on getting my hands on a copy of PS3 DISC ONLY exclusive Folkore. It goes for about €60 on eBay but I am trying to set up an exchange with a cool user here. I'd love to play it and post about it, it's maybe one of like 3 games ever set in Ireland so I find that really interesting.

I'm slowly playing through it between other games and it's a great little budget title. It feels like a mix of Shadow of Memories/Destiny and Lost Kingdoms in tone and gameplay. I'm loving the poo poo out of it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

it's a good game op

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm slowly playing through it between other games and it's a great little budget title. It feels like a mix of Shadow of Memories/Destiny and Lost Kingdoms in tone and gameplay. I'm loving the poo poo out of it.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it's a good game op

:D Excellent

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I downloaded the demo but have yet to play it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Waltzing Along posted:

I played the R&C1 HD and now on r&c2 HD (on vita)

The big problems with R&C1 seems to be that you have very little hp and you don't even increase it until like 60% through the game and you'll probably be able to afford a one hp increase. Then later on you can buy (after getting a lot of bolts) a three hp upgrade.

R&c2 has that level up mechanic for getting more hp plus you get to buy armor so it helps a lot. Still need a lot of bolts for those later armors though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They put those R&C remasters on Vita as well but without CFW they were capped at 20fps :whitewater:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

They put those R&C remasters on Vita as well but without CFW they were capped at 20fps :whitewater:

Higher framerate than J&D1 on Vita lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I managed to get a hold of this in a total bit of luck, had an email alert set up :eyepop:

It's going on eBay for way more than I paid. Can't wait to try it. I must see if I can dig out some photos from when I was actually in Doolin a few years ago.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

two copies of Vanquish :hai: :coolfish: :hai:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I managed to get a hold of this in a total bit of luck, had an email alert set up :eyepop:

It's going on eBay for way more than I paid. Can't wait to try it. I must see if I can dig out some photos from when I was actually in Doolin a few years ago.

How much did you pay for yours, out of curiosity?

Also, hah, look at this poor dumb fucker who actually bought Duke Nukem Forever! :smuggo:

*Quietly pushes their collector's edition box out of sight*

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

look at that sexy rear end controller :heysexy:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

two copies of Vanquish :hai: :coolfish: :hai:

one of those was given to me in error, it actually contains... far cry 3 :mrwhite:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How much did you pay for yours, out of curiosity?

€60 from CEX, which is the cheapest I've seen it anywhere.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ring fit adventure

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

ring fit adventure

you gotta lose the lockdown pounds

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

im just surprised you got a copy, that poo poo was sold out and harder to get than a ps5.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

one of those was given to me in error, it actually contains... far cry 3 :mrwhite:

They used to go for about 2/3rds that pre-COVID and I'm sorry I didn't get it then myself (I paid about the same for mine, you did well to get it that price).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They used to go for about 2/3rds that pre-COVID and I'm sorry I didn't get it then myself (I paid about the same for mine, you did well to get it that price).

I think once Sony announced the PS3 store was going down, it massively drove up interest in people figuring out what was PS3 exclusive so people became aware of what was disk only. Crazy thinking back that there's a fair amount of games on the PS3 and 360 that you can't buy digitally. It was way better with PS4/Xbone, I think nearly everything came out digitally.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think once Sony announced the PS3 store was going down, it massively drove up interest in people figuring out what was PS3 exclusive so people became aware of what was disk only. Crazy thinking back that there's a fair amount of games on the PS3 and 360 that you can't buy digitally. It was way better with PS4/Xbone, I think nearly everything came out digitally.

Oooh, good point :hmmyes:.

The only non-digital title I can think of on PS4 off the top of my head is Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. As I understand it, it WAS on the store at one point, got pulled, and was never re-added. Which is real dumb when Hacker's Memory is still available digitally and the story's entirely built around knowing exactly what happened in Cyber Sleuth :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Second-cheapest, thank you very much.