Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Whattup ps3 thread!

Absolutely loved the ps3 back in the day. Sold my console sometime after the ps4 came out. Kinda regretted that. I did buy a super slim over covid and a few games.

My paltry library. Have a fair amount of digital titles as well (apparently bought the Simpson's arcade before Konami took it down from the store.) The first one is a best of psn disc I got solely to have Tokyo Jungle (the best ps3 game of all time :colbert:)

Edit: going back to play the ps3 now is rough. There are some absolute dogshit framerates. I fired up battlefield 3 a little while back and oh man does it run like poo poo. There are bizarrely people still playing it. Unfortunately I can't seem to get the ingame server browser to work at all.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Guillermus posted:

If I wanted to get the physical releases of the MGS series on PS3 (probably expensive nowadays), wich releases should I look for? Getting a cheap PS3 copy of MGSV is easy already but, what about the others?

The MGS Legacy Collection.
If you can find a new, sealed copy it comes with codes for PS1 MGS and MGS:VR. Everything else is included on the discs. MG1 and MG2 are part of MGS3 if I recall correctly.

Edit: looks like you can get supposedly new and sealed for $30 on ebay

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 24, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Since I have this 250Gb SSD laying around unused (not even as external storage)... Should I just replace my PS3's 60Gb one with it? I know that the SSD isn't going to make a big difference but right now the 60Gb one is going to be small for the incoming purchases.

May as well. 250Gb is still pretty small if you intend to download anything from the store. Some games (GT6) have some pretty big installs. If I recall, you need to use a USB drive formatted to FAT32 or something to install a new drive.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I just got mine set up with CFW and now that I'm actually playing some games, I think I loving hate this controller. The triggers and sticks are dogshit. It is an official DS3.

I’m usually not someone to complain about old controllers since I still use NES/SNES ones. I wish there was a quality 3rd party option that also had the analog buttons.

Not too many games actually use the buttons fwiw. I know the MGS releases and Gran Turismo do, there are probably few others. You should prob be fine for the most part just using a DS4. Gonna suck if you have to go and play any game that requires them though.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Raylax posted:

Yeah, they're on the list, but they are pretty expensive (~£70 for 3DDGH, ~£50 for Folklore). Tokyo Jungle I don't think got a physical release here, I could import it or just pick it up digitally - do any of the physical releases have english language?

It got a physical release in the US at least as part of "The Best of PSN" I posted it somewhere earlier upthread. It was still pretty cheap (like less than $20) last summer when I picked it up.

Edit: lol it's like $70 now looking at ebay.

It did get a physical release in Japan, no idea if it has English included as a language option though.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Recommend puppeteer cuz it's cute as heck and pretty drat fun and resonance of fate is a pretty cool take on JRPGs, although it did get a remaster of some sort on ps4.

Decided to boot up my ps3 and see what I have digitally. Holy poo poo is the system pokey as poo poo. Re-downloading XCOM and it's taking 2 minutes just to download in the background instead of me just sitting there watching a progress bar.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol. So many weird, dated things with the ui/ux. Downloaded some old digital games, totally forgot that you then need to manually install them after downloading.

Not like I have money for a computer even remotely capable it, but what's the state of ps3 emulation like these days?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
drat! That looks good af.

Ps3 still fun to play.

Been playing oddworld: munch's Odyssey HD. Kinda a junky and weird, but I played the poo poo out of it on the OG Xbox, a nice nostalgia trip. Hot drat do the ps3 controllers suck rear end though. I don't recall the trigger springs being so stiff back in the day.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Playing Killzone (PS2) on my PS3 using the disc. Looks absolutely horrible (last I played that game was in 2005 on a hacked PS2) but feels amazing to actually be able to run old stuff on this machine from a DVD.

I'll get a 500gb HDD and slap CFW on this beauty soon :getin:

I have the HD version or whatever it was that was released on ps3. It has not aged well at all. I remember when it came out it was touted as a halo killer. It's been a while since I played it, but as recall there are some really weird control choices.

Wish I hadn't bought a super slim when I (relbought my ps3, I'd love to CFW and all that entails. Having to essentially load a hack every time I boot my system is too drat much for me tbh, so I'll just keep this thing stock and suffer for it. Maybe someday I'll get around to getting a regular slim instead, know that getting an OG fat w/ BC is a pipe dream.

Is it possible to run PS1/PS2 games directly off the HDD on a CFW PS3? If so, that makes it a bit more of an enticing prospect.

Edit: looked it up and it sure is. Guess I should look into cfw a bit more and figure out if I wanna deal with HEN on a super slim

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 14, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

letting the coolguy op of this thread and its dope af denizens choose which games i purchase tomorrow for my pstriple

here are the titles i've narrowed down but if someone has other good suggestions i'm listening, gonna limit it to ~ 50bux

- Suikoden 2 $10
- Breath of Fire 3 $10
- Persona 4 $10
- Persona 3 $10
- Tomba! $10
- Alundra $6
- Klonoa $6
- SOTN $10 (original voice actingggggg! plz note this would be a vanity purchase since i still have my disc BUT STILL)
- MGS $10
- FF Tactics $10
- Chrono Trigger $10
- Front Mission 3 $6
- Vagrant Story $6
- FF6 $10
- FF5 $10
- LoK Soul Reaver $6
- Metal Slug X $6

Late to this.

BOF 34
FM3
Vagrant Story
LoK Soul Reaver
FFT
Klonoa

Should be about 50bux
Haven't booted up my ps3 in a while to see what other ps1 classics are on there.

If you like the Front Mission series, def check out Ring of Red as a PS2 classic. It was a super early PS2 release, so basically looks like a ps1 game with better textures.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ94K-eYuL8

Also, looks like parasite eve 1 and 2, Dino crisis, and psychonauts are on the classics list as well for cheap af.

Edit 2:

How are you supposed to purchase things through the ps3 store now? I know it involves adding funds to your psn wallet in some capacity outside the ps3, but I dunno anything beyond that. I wanna play some parasite eve now.

Edit 3:

Looks like ring of red got pulled from the store, cuz Konami (?) :confused:

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 30, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol. Holy poo poo, they made the store un-intuitive af.

Had to look on reddit just to figure out how to add a game to my cart.

link for anyone missing an add to cart button

Edit: lol. I had to remove my payment info from my psn account just to purchase things with wallet funds. :shepface:

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 30, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
drat. I forgot how good xenogears is. Maybe I'll actually get around to finishing it this time through. I'd love a remake (finish?) of it like octopath where it'd keep the same sprites on polygons aesthetic but that's super unlikely. Hell, just give me an updated version of this where I can use the analog sticks and not have to use a run button and I'd be happy.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I know :(

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
They really are, it's amazing that they somehow managed to address/avoid the texture warping that was so prevalent. The texture work is phenomenal in general and really helps make the game world feel believable.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
According to this reddit post it generally doesn't outside of possibly a weird official Sony dongle for the silver wired headset.

Edit:

Maybe it does work??

I don't have a USB headset to gently caress around with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvP1HjhJVa8

There is a weird option if you have a roku TV. To use the roku remote app on your phone and you can play the audio from your TV through your phone, so airbuds or whatever should work that way.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 3, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Oof. Went back to try and play killzone 2. God what horrible floaty-rear end controls. I have no idea how the hell I managed to play this and like it back in the day. There are some goofy af control choices as well. For some reason crouch is permanently bound to L2 throughout all the control schemes. The framerate is pretty abysmal and there's a nauseating amount of motion blur/ghosting going on.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah. I really don't know how I played, beat it, and enjoyed it back in the day. Guess I didn't know better at the time :shrug:

Getting some og parasite eve in instead. It's not as good as I remember it being either, but still kinda fun at least.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Kayne & Lynch: Dog Days :v:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

:getin:

Booting my ps3 up for the first time in a while. drat is this thing loud compared to my ps5.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Thinkin about giving red dead another shot. Gonna be rough going back to these godawful load times.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Hell yeah, glad to hear your BC ps3 still works. :sweatdrop:

Cleaning it and giving everything a good examination seems like a drat good idea. poo poo's like what 15 years old now?

Got a surprise day off of work today cuz it's cold and nobody wants to eat or drink outside. Decided to do some Xenogears-ing for a fitting "snow-day" experience (there's no snow, but it's my adult equivalent I suppose)

Game looks good for a ps1 game. I dunno what magic they worked to pull it off, but there's little to no texture warping. The writing is a bit hokey or the localization is weird, probably both. The soundtrack is amazing. Shame the game sorta falls apart on disc 2, it'd be great if square ever revisited or remade this but I know that's never gonna happen.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

xenogears bless

i still have my disc copy but i also have a digi copy, my poor 60gig died in 2012 but i have like 3 other PS3s for some weird reason

For some reason I was an idiot circa 2013-14 and just decided to donate all my ps1 disc games to the goodwill when I left San Francisco. Like poo poo worth stupid amounts of money now. Xenogears was one of them :negative:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
God I just looked up the prices of some of them on ebay. Oof. Xenogears goes for like $100 to almost $200.

There might be a few of my old games kicking around at my mom's house. I'm 97% sure My CIB version of the Arc the Lad collection is there. No clue what else though.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

I got rid of all mine as well, save for a few gems (xeno, sotn, valyrie profile, klonoa 2)

At the time I had really said goodbye to a lot of japanese games and jrpgs, whereas by 2015 I rediscovered them and embraced my past :blastu:

I had like 50+ ps1 games, just wild how crazy the spending spree was all through high school. all that lunch money!

Yeah I had somehow foolishly convinced myself I was done with video games at that point. What a loving idiot I was. I had bought the majority of them back in the late 90s early 2000s too. God. During the ps2/Xbox era ps1 games were practically free.

Like I can emulate them no problem now, but I wish I still had the discs to pop into my ps3.

At least with emulation I can force a higher resolution even on my garbage computer.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Decided to pickup 40k Space Marine for ps3 since Space Marine 2 is supposed to come out some time this year. Game is still good af. Weirdly the parched version of the game has an inconsistent framerate and weird stuttering through cutscenes. I deleted the patch file and it seems to be working fine now. Just seems weird that the patch somehow makes the game run worse. I tried rebuilding the database and restoring files through safe mode and it did nothing to help the video issues. On a super slim if that matters somehow.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah. Thankfully I was just at the intro portion so it wasn't too big of a deal. I think the game will try to auto update overnight at some point. I should prob turn that feature off.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Goddammit. The plat trophy requires multiplayer bullshit. That was way too common back in the ps3 days and just feels like a way to pad the trophy list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Which of those FPS had the good campaigns, again? I keep confusing them.

Killzone 2 & 3 had pretty solid, if goody af campaigns. Resistance was pretty solid as well, but you're not shooting space nazis, so it's less fun imo.