Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TL;DR: Post about PS3 era games in all their jank glory

Goon Playstation Discord

oh great, another playstation thread :rolleyes:
The great PS4 thread is still going "strong" and the PS5 thread is just getting started. I felt bad stinking up those threads with my ps3 ramblings so here's this thread, feel free to stink it up also

What's the PS3?
The PS3 is the good console Sony made. It came out in 2006 and cost roughly $7000 dollars at launch.

What's this thread for?
Here's a thread to talk about old PS3 fun and jank games of the PS360 era you're playing.
  • Post your thoughts on the console and the games.
  • Post pics of your collection if you got any cool games or a good stack.
  • Post if you're playing a cool or terrible old game.
  • :justpost:

I genuinely love the PS360 time-period and the rotten generation of brown, cheap, poo poo shooters it spawned. It represents the horrible adolescent period between the SD of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox and the actual proper HD of the PS4/Xbox One. Many devs couldn't figure out how to make games run well on this nightmare machine so lots of stuff runs sub-30fps at 720p.

What can it play?
There were a LOT of PS3 games, over 2000.
Altogether, a Fat model with full PS2 back compat can play over 7000 PS1, PS2 and PS3 games, making it better than the PS5, which can currently play four games.
You can get a lot of physical games cheap on eBay/your local game stores/wherever, there aren't many rare physical games.
The PSN store also still sells PS3 games but as of 2021 you can only access the digital store through the console. It's a pain in the rear end and really slow but it still works. Sony were gonna shut it down but I emailed them and said "cut it out" so it's still up.

Should I get one in 2021?
Sure, go for it. It's a cool console with loads of games. It's from an era before mid-gen refreshes so whatever model you get should play most PS3 games fine, assuming it's in good condition.
A small number of the Fat models can play nearly all PS2 games from disk but they're really old and increasingly hard to find in working order. The odds of getting a working one of these at a reasonable price are really low.
Most of the Fats and all the newer slim models can play most PS1 games from disk no problem and some PS2 games bought from PSN via software emulation but NOT PS2 disks. You can probably get them second-hand easily enough in the usual places.

Any interesting games to look out for? Exclusives?
There's a few games that never got ported to newer consoles and remain trapped on the PS3
  • Metal Gear Solid 4 is probably the most well-known one. It's a really fun game and makes great use of the weird and wonderful PS3 hardware. Probably the biggest reason to still keep this thing plugged in now that the previously PS3- only Demon's Souls got remade on PS5.
  • Yakuza: Dead Souls is trapped on PS3! I think it's the only Yakuza game not ported to newer systems? The series has exploded in popularity since the PS3 days so maybe it'll come to newer consoles some day...
  • Killzone 2/3 are two really impressive looking (if dull) shooters from Guerilla Games, who'd go on to make the great Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4.
  • Siren Blood Curse is a remake of the old PS2 horror series. It has a really good soundtrack and cool spooky vibes.
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes is a cool looking action RPG game with a really nice visual style. I haven't played it but I'm gonna seek it out.
  • Haze is an FPS game so bad that it killed Free Radical Design, the makers of the excellent TimeSplitters series. Worth a look in a "so bad it's bad" way.
  • Drakengard 3 is the last of Yoko Taro's Drakengard series before he directed Nier: Automata.
There's a few more PS3 exclusives here although a few of these have since been rereleased on PS4/PS5

Anything else I should know before I start buying games?
A lot of the multi-plat games from this gen play on Xbox One/Series in backwards compatibility mode at much better resolution/load times so if you own either of those machines, it's worth checking if a game is on those as there's a very good chance it'll run and look better than on PS3.

QoP, what games you got?
Here's my current phsyical collection. Missing a few that I lent out pre-Covid but this is most

Any recommendations?
  • ICO & Shadow of the Colossus HD is absolutely god-tier adventure gaming. There was a remake of SOTC on PS4 but it changed the art style. ICO is still amazing and it's cool playing it at 60fps. The music is amazing.
  • El Shaddai Ascension to the Metatron is this weird third-person action game with loads of biblical madness in the story. It's really unique and worth checking out. Never got ported.
  • MGS4 is really good.
  • Riddick: Dark Athena isn't an amazing port so if you have a good PC, play it there but it's a really good game. Underrated at the time I think. It also comes with a remaster of Butcher Bay, which is the best film-to-game adaptation ever made.

Join the Goon Playstation Discord and chat away.

Add me on PSN @ QuantumOfP if you wanna play some random PS3 games. Are the servers still up? I dunno!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyufDxxWIsM

access the secret PS2 emulation menu. turn off VSYNC if it's on for better responsiveness:

Vikar Jerome posted:

ps3 users

https://twitter.com/StickmanSham/status/1406601152528097285

No Modding needed. :eyepop: works on all the ps2 classics, not sure if ps1 classics tho.
Just press left dpad + square + L1 + R1 for ten seconds, release then press start at the settings menu (PS Button)

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've just started playing 2009's Wolfenstein.

This was the last game id software were involved with before they got bought by Zenimax. It's made by Raven, who also made the somewhat interesting PS3-era shooter Singularity. I've only just started it but it has interesting quasi-open world stuff to it. I remember playing it on 360 at a friend's house years ago but I never got really into it. I think it has like magic powers????

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Alone in the Dark Inferno

I started this one, it was one of the weirdest games I've ever played. It felt like it was made by someone who had no idea how games are made and put literally every gimmick available into it. Is it work finishing?

Baggot posted:

My PS3 is still hooked up and I intend to eventually finish playing several games on it that aren't available on subsequent PlayStation generations!

:hai: :whatup:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

making a ps3 thread when the ps4 one is about to die, chad move. 2 3 and 5, all you need.

okay so where do i get proper triggers from for my ds3, i ordered some grips that clip on the triggers but they are too big.

do you have your post handy about getting the PS2 emulator options on PS3 up? i used it tonight, pretty cool.

Ineffiable posted:

If you love exploring quirky games and are willing to fight the controls, it's a very interesting idea of how a game shouldn't be done.

I definitely love weird games so I'll go back and finish it. I hate having unfinished games lying around!

morallyobjected posted:

the good ol' days when online didn't require PS+. I

This was a huge deal for me, I came from PC gaming so not having to pay for online was a big decision-maker when it came to getting a console. PS4 onwards needing a paid sub to pay online stinks and has definitely made me play less online

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

omg stranglehold, I love that game on PC back in the day, I gotta get that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Raylax posted:

I was way, way late to the PS3 (2016 I think), and I'm still actively playing catch-up on that library. Got it still hooked up and currently playing through Dead Space 2, having a great time with it.

I bought a big pile of PS3 games I hadn't got around to earlier this year, about 20 or so over a few months, and I think it cost about or under £100 all in. Really good & high-profile stuff too - Devil May Cry 1-4, Dragon Age 1 & 2, God of Wars, inFamous 1 & 2, MGS HD Trilogy & 4, LittleBigPlanet... a lot to keep me busy for the next year or two, for real cheap.

Dragon Age 1 comes with all the expansion packs and will easily keep you busy for months. That was one of the games I really got into on PS3, like one of very few games I'd wake up really early to play. It's excellent.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Japanese digital butt rock is the most amazing form of music ever created by humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePypW6n1egQ

The GOAT

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kirios posted:

I cannot believe there is actual nostalgia for the PS3. It was agonizingly slow to navigate and the controllers were awful on it. I couldn't wait to move to PS4.

if sony had the courage to let you play PS3 games on any of their newer consoles, there would be no nostalgia from me. i just like the games!
the UI on the machine is nice but yes it is mega slow and the DS3 is a cheap piece of rubbish controller. i am so sad Sony didn't figure out a way to play PS2/PS3 games natively on the PS4 or PS5

dog nougat posted:

My paltry library. Have a fair amount of digital titles as well

Ineffiable posted:

What's that you say, if Ineffiable loves Demon's Souls and loves Dark Souls even more than that, what does that look like?
s.

morallyobjected posted:

I've downsized over the years, so here's what remains of my physical collection:

great collection pics. blessed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-HFa5xOmo0

:pray:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i keep meaning to play the og Dark Souls 2 on PS3, i never played that version so i'm only Scholared

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s interesting how Sony went in big on two FPS Trilogies with Killzone and Resistance on PS3 and then only one Killzone game on PS4. Was that the only big first party FPS on PS4? Seems like Sony saw that market was already saturated by COD etc and went into mega budget third person action games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

can't believe you already forgot about smash hit The Order 1886

that's a weird looking FPS :thunk:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the wii?????!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The siren call of Alone in the Dark Inferno or whatever this weird game is called was too much. I’m back at it tonight! I think I nearly finished the first chapter so I’ll have to figure out how to play this whacko game again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just ordered one of these from a goon and I’m excited to be able to play all the metal gear games again. I’m mostly a Nintendo gamer with occasional Xbox and PC thrown in so I’m also excited about stuff I’ve missed.

Niiice. You can play every main Metal Gear game on it!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GZ was the last game I played on my PS3 before getting a PS4. Looks great on PS3, that FoxEngine was amazing. What a waste!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That’s a lot of game for €40

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I've only ever played a bit of MGS1 (ps1 emulation) and a bit of MGSV so I basically know nothing about the series. I'm not a fan of stealth games (cept Dishonored) so even if that's a lot of game, 40€ is quite a lot too for a bunch of games that I don't know if I'll ever play.

CEX have MGS4 for €5, deffo worth that 👀👀👀👀
https://es.webuy.com/product-detail...of-the-patriots

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

here's the list of random PS4 games I have saved from CEX to pick up over the next few months, I'm gonna try to get in to an actual store soon cos they charge €2 shipping per item so sometimes the postage costs more than the games

Lair for €2.50 :eyepop:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

i went on the psn store to look for bionic commando rearmed to see how much it was and it crashed when i put bio in

the power of the PS3 :whatup:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it didn't want you to accidentally buy Bioshock Infinite

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sony like to pretend there isn’t

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hal Insandenza posted:

How are those 007 games on the PS3?

The bits I played of Blood Stone were pretty good, I haven’t tried the others though. The goldeneye remake thing is supposed to be a bit crap but I’m a sucker for Bond games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

lmao. i too have a kink for playing worst ports or "lesser" versions of games i already own on superior hardware.

the PS2 version of Deus Ex runs on PS3 :sickos:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Somewhere.. I am fairly certain I still have a copy of ..brink

didn’t realise this could be played solo until just now. Might have to add it to the awful games list 👀👀👀

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

In the post-apocalypse someone’s going to come across my skeleton surrounded by supplies and a note that says ‘they never should have reduced the titty size of that dark haired chick from bioshock goddamn’

the quality of immersive storytelling Bethesda could only dream of

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I put a 500Gb in recently and it’s nowhere near full. You’d have to own a lot of digital games to fill a 200gb, most PS3 games aren’t that big tbh.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Unless you’re running CFW or buying a ton of digital games, you won’t fill a 500Gb so it’s a good size. I’ve installed like every game I own and I still have 200gb left.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Does the PS3 have a backup option like the PS4 before I do a HDD swap? Just so I can install the new HDD, install the OS via USB, and then plug an external with my backup and restore everything.

Yes! Settings > System Settings > Backup Utility>Back Up.

I think the drive has to be FAT32. It is extremely slow, I left it running overnight last time I did it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think PS3 is the the least optimal way to play the original Dead Space tbh, it worked great on my absolute piece-of-rubbish laptop well over a decade ago and the original trilogy are all backwards compatible on the Xbox. The first two are still excellent

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I gave my copy away to one of the homies when he had to quarantine back in April 2020 and haven’t seen it since

:911:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

how insane was it that they put all Analog buttons in the DS3. and it's still one of the worst feeling controllers ever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I am working on getting my hands on a copy of PS3 DISC ONLY exclusive Folkore. It goes for about €60 on eBay but I am trying to set up an exchange with a cool user here. I'd love to play it and post about it, it's maybe one of like 3 games ever set in Ireland so I find that really interesting.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm slowly playing through it between other games and it's a great little budget title. It feels like a mix of Shadow of Memories/Destiny and Lost Kingdoms in tone and gameplay. I'm loving the poo poo out of it.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it's a good game op

:D Excellent

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They put those R&C remasters on Vita as well but without CFW they were capped at 20fps :whitewater:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I managed to get a hold of this in a total bit of luck, had an email alert set up :eyepop:

It's going on eBay for way more than I paid. Can't wait to try it. I must see if I can dig out some photos from when I was actually in Doolin a few years ago.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

two copies of Vanquish :hai: :coolfish: :hai:

one of those was given to me in error, it actually contains... far cry 3 :mrwhite:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How much did you pay for yours, out of curiosity?

€60 from CEX, which is the cheapest I've seen it anywhere.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

ring fit adventure

you gotta lose the lockdown pounds

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They used to go for about 2/3rds that pre-COVID and I'm sorry I didn't get it then myself (I paid about the same for mine, you did well to get it that price).

I think once Sony announced the PS3 store was going down, it massively drove up interest in people figuring out what was PS3 exclusive so people became aware of what was disk only. Crazy thinking back that there's a fair amount of games on the PS3 and 360 that you can't buy digitally. It was way better with PS4/Xbone, I think nearly everything came out digitally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Casnorf posted:

Second-cheapest, thank you very much.

you gotta sell that copy and make bank