Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Hello new thread.

It still blows my mind, just a bit, that we're getting a licensed-property SRW title released worldwide at all. The license situation is a bit different from how it was twenty years ago, but even still, it feels wild. Teenager-college-student me would have lost his marbles knowing this was even possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

AradoBalanga posted:

It boggles my mind that Blue Destiny didn't get in. A perfect compliment to NT with its own dead Newtype power system shenanigans, but...nope.

Blue Destiny is extant enough to get into EXVS or other Gundam-specific crossover stuff, but it's still rather obscure for SRW.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

Team Terrorist is one of the many reasons why we need a Z2 translation.

Or better yet, a new game with the players from team Terrorist returning, along with Hathaway and IBO.

It is slightly wild to me that there has been exactly one (1) SRW with TV Gundam 00 in it, and that's Z2. Literally everything else is primarily Trailblazer.

Hell, full TV Geass is fairly rare; I believe SRW X doesn't do *all* of Geass and is based on the compilation movies, right?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Console region locking has, at least for now, gone the way of the dodo, so yeah, an imported copy of SRW T will work fine on a Switch or PS4/5. If you want the DLC, you'll need to set up a Singapore PSN account, but there are guides for it and it's not difficult in the slightest.

It is, ironically, the Steam versions of V and X which remain region locked. They can't even be gifted across region lines. And SRW T, somewhat inexplicably at this stage, has no Steam/PC version.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah I was going to say, the OG supporting cast in T get a ton to do.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

its strange because they gave astray a ton of focus and plot in w so its not a 'gundam manga' thing

W, in fact, is one of the most complete treatments Seed Astray has ever gotten in a video game and another reason I wish it could have come over back when.

I just have to assume the licensing is weird, and that it's easier to use "Tobia and Kincade alone" than it is to grab everything.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Kanos posted:

It's basically never been an issue because there's almost no region locked games on Steam - SRW V and X were honestly the first region locked Steam games I've ever heard of, which was presumably done by Bamco due to rights issues.

Quite a number of games are region-locked against Japan specifically, or at least used to be; it got to such a point that it was even a meme among the Japanese PC crowd.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

SpikeMcclane posted:

I remember hearing that the cost and effort of releasing console games is pretty high, and you need to do it for each region/release. They probably are just going the cheap/easy route with the assumption that most NA/Europe console sales would just be canibalising the other regions and steam.

Among other things, you have to go through certification for each region you release a game in, typically, and the cert process isn't completely uniform across regions; something that makes it through in SEA could hit a snag in America or Europe, for example, meaning you have to correct whatever it is and go through it again (and in the past, that could be stuff like "doesn't have English voiceover", which could be a dealbreaker). Meanwhile, so long as poo poo ain't broke, you'll provide support and correction if poo poo does break and you got it cleared legally, Steam don't care. The overhead is a lot lower.

The licenses were always the biggest hurdle to an international release, but they were far from the only hurdle.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

Has there been any peeps about the next GGen game by the by? I'm curious when it'll bop out.

Absolute silence. Presumably the larger marketing machine is focused on SRW 30 right now, and Gundam marketing is currently focusing on a few other things (like that outta-nowhere Overwatch-like game they've got coming). Given how Crossrays managed, by all external indicators like Dramata said, to blow expectations out of the water, we'll probably see a steady stream of gandamu stuff going forward.

Hokuto posted:

1) Domestic SRW sales in Japan have been in steady decline for a while now

There is one weird data point here: SRW V apparently did manage to get a Playstation Gold award, which is given for reaching 500,000 sales in Japan. It'd be the first SRW in a good long while to have managed that. None of the other international games have been acknowledged that way, not even T, so sales in Japan are evidently not hopelessly dire but I guess are really uneven?

They have outright said the international version of SRW T outsold domestic, though (and from Terada's comments, it's super duper obvious they were picking series based in part on what's popular on the American continent - G Gundam is aimed right at the Toonami crowd, GaoGaiGar at the noughts hardcore set, and Rayearth is aimed squarely at the heart of every single 90s kid south of Texas in particular). So the sales situation is...fluid, I guess. :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The real question is, where the gently caress is Dougram in a proper SRW, and where the gently caress is Vifam :argh:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

It is weird as hell that RahXephon never got touched again after MX, though. :thunk:

Did it even come back for XO? I wonder if that soundtrack is a bear to license.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

as a not-really-fan of gundam yeah ditch amuro and char* but haman / judau / kamille can stay. at least do something else for the occasional game. they've made SRW without getter but they ain't gonna make it without gundam.

*especially char

SRW exists in no small part as a Gundam promotional vehicle and part of the wider Gundam Video Game Strategy™. There will absolutely never be an SRW without any Gundam, especially with Bamco owning Banpresto outright now.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Kanos posted:

The gore in SEED really stands out because it's so tonally and aesthetically dissonant. The show goes for a really clean aesthetic with minimal "grittiness" most of the time, and the plot is a hammy semi-serious soap opera, so it's really jarring when suddenly there's ridiculous ultraviolence on screen for a scene or a few shots before it goes back to being clean.

Just as a reminder, this is one of the most common SEED eyecatches:

It's relatively representative of the show's aesthetic. It leans really hard on that early-aughts J-Pop Cool aesthetic (when I first watched it, my initial reaction to seeing Kira was "holy poo poo why does he dress like Gackt"), but it's also a show where the writers, especially later on, really want to shine a light on all the horrible ways we've come up with to kill each other, even just in the couple decades (relative to SEED's release) since OG Gundam aired. It ends up being a lot more jarring than OG Gundam, and becomes one part teen drama and one part horror of war, and they never really manage to square the two. Now, I personally think the intent is for that to be the point - you are living your cute anime life, and then because some maniac wants power or revenge or whatever, they fire a nuclear weapon or microwave people or whatever and hey ho it's Bloody Valentine or the attack on Boaz or whatever - but I'm not sure it really lands the way the team would have really wanted it to. (It doesn't help that the SEED Gundams are some of the most toyetic in the entire franchise, so you have Serious War Stuff going on and then you cut to the massively over-produced focused units like the Freedom or Calamity or what have you, and it just yanks you straight out of the moment. The first GENESIS firing is absolutely awful-slash-hilarious about this.)

So you end up with the show looking like it has a guro fetish at times (since the incidents are being presented as Bad™ and something to avoid, so broadcast S&P would just barely let SEED get away with it) since it wants to highlight the ~horror of war~, but it really feels like the rest of the show won't or can't commit to it in a way that feels tonally appropriate. So it's just there and leaves you feeling :stare:.

(Sidenote: in getting that eyecatch, I ended up rewatching some of the last episodes of Gundam. I had forgotten just how hilariously Hiyama was overacting for Azrael, and it felt corny at first, but then I remembered the past four-plus years IRL and realized "well, no, actually that tracks. to a depressing degree.")

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 29, 2021

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also, the moment rockso was thinking of is in episode 47, which is technically the second GENESIS firing. :eng101: That one's even more egregious because the weapon isn't even shown behaving that way the first time it is fired into a fleet and it's completely ridiculous because it makes heavy spacesuits rupture somehow. It's absurdly goofy.

Endorph posted:

i would really not describe those scenes as 'guro fetish' jesus, they last like five-ten seconds and its just some blood

It isn't really a guro fetish compared to "actual" guro, but it very much can feel like "someone(s) at Sunrise getting away with everything they possibly can on broadcast TV" because it's just so out of tune with a lot of the rest of the show and not even consistent beat-to-beat, sometimes.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

but theres a few other instances of seed using it (and death in general tbh) in weird ways.

I still can't get over the Three Ships Alliance Astray team just getting wiped out in a few passing eyeblink scenes and people essentially don't comment on it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Which is weird cause the PLANTS are also rich assholes who live in their sky castles while Earth goes to poo poo.

It's a war between two different kind of rear end in a top hat ruling classes.

I mean, to the show's credit, it's very clear that the Dueling Rich Assholes Sending Other People To Die angle is very much intended as part of the show's politics; for all people complain about "nonsensical pacifism", the show has very strong opinions about the kinds of people who are willing to send others to die for their own gain and who are willing to even consider using weapons of mass destruction, and wants the heroes to stand in stark contrast to them. (And frankly, I have wondered for a while, long before the thread got into SEED Discourse™, about how much the timing of the show influenced how it was received. Some of the points it wants to try to make, and the way it portrays its villains, hit a little different in the 2020s as opposed to 2002-3.)

I'm in the camp of the show having a lot of problems, but especially with time going on, the villains if anything get more believable by the year and are not one of those problems.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

wielder posted:

I think the close-up when they pull in the enemy with the slash harkens is alright, but the default pose is definitely rather static (to be fair, you could also say most of Lelouch's mecha tend towards T-posing).

My man is fully aware of what is required to assert dominance.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also, I said "god drat" aloud at that new Gunbuster model

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I mean, we got BGM at the reveal; Sleeping Beast and Divine Beast are The Actual Theme Songs for Edge and Az. We've seen they serve as their combat themes during the first stage.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

BTW, on Switch, if you download the JP eShop's demo, it'll switch to English automatically.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The ATX Team (Kyosuke/Excellen), Iron Blooded Orphans and loving ULTRAMAN (specifically the mecha suit version ofc) for DLC2!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yup, Yuko Mizutani is still in there.

(Even after five years, it still hurts a bit. ;.; )

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

drat, that EVA-1 is looking clean.

Edit: gently caress me they're actually doing a Soul of Chogokin for Getter Robo Go. Genuinely did not think I'd see the day.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 25, 2021

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Welp, that's it for the stream.

See you all on the other side in two days.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Also, as an aside, it's really encouraging to see so many people excited for 30 even without the obvious choices for a foreign released SRW game

And I mean, Japanese twitter is going absolutely nuts for both the DLC and the third PV in general. SRW30 is likely going to be Big.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

MechaX posted:

So if there’s a chance I may actually buy the DLC, should I just stick with the Steam version over getting a physical Switch version? Didn’t know how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to get the DLC on Switch if I only have a US account

It will be vastly easier to get the DLC with the Steam version, yes

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Alpha or one of the early ones has like a two-page long list.

Alpha and its derivatives are indeed where they went absolutely nuts with it. Even Alpha 2/3 toned it down a bit because, in truth, it was neat but it wasn't a great use of disc space.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

By the by, if Steam is anything to go by, it looks like the game will be going live at 3PM Pacific, 6PM Eastern US time on the 27th.

(Less than two days remain. :supaburn: )

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I was really hoping it'd be midnight Japan time, this means it won't be live for the UK until 11pm...

Edit: Checking on the hour, it looks like it's 1 hour earlier, 10pm BST/2PM Pacific/5PM Eastern US, which feels like a big difference here.

After "one hour to go", Steam counts down minutes, as was pointed out to me. :v: So tack another hour on to Steam's displayed time.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/SpaceDrakeCF/status/1453422024248881156

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

You have no idea how difficult it has been to resist the urge to :justpost: about this for, like

the past two god drat years

fake-real-edit: anyway I am going to go slam back delicious kara-age with caphi and robin like a boss

we'll :justpost: when I return

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Also I don't know if I should pick Edge or Az. Please help me decide

The extremely short of it is that Edge has a very Laid-Back Coolguy™ demeanor that can sometimes seem a little forced, as if he's ~hiding something~, while Az is very much quiet and deep inside her shell as the game opens. She'll still open up a bit to some others, but she's a lot more serious and withdrawn early on. They both go through a fair bit of character development and are each a lot of fun in their own way. They both start with the same unit, though, much like VXT.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Help I can't get over the name DEATH MAGNET

DOKTOR GAUSS will not be intimidated by the foolish Brave Police!!!

(Seriously, the whole team was :allears:-ing over the fact that Gauss got picked to be the recurring comedy J-Decker villain)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

So wait, do I have preorders or not from GMG? :tizzy: I can't play yet

If you preordered from GMG, you won't have pre-order bonuses. :smith: The situation sucks, especially since GMG specifically advertised having the bonuses.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

HiKaizer posted:

Yeah it's really unpleasantly loud. Hopefully it gets patched.

Also thanks you everyone who worked on the translation team! There's so much care taken with the localisation and it really shines through.

Meanwhile I'm noticing a gajillion little things I would desperately want to adjust

( , or :wmded:, became something of a personal emote on our work Discord for me throughout the project, by the way :v: )

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

NewMars posted:

Spoilers for the CCA bit: Man, when Ryoma and Koji said they were going to kill Char, they were not kidding. Must be the whole "history's greatest monster and also betrayed us personally" thing.

For what it's worth, at least on my end this was written with the idea that, yes, Ryoma and/or Koji absolutely were ready to kill Char right there, with Ryoma, in particular, ready to just outright murder Char with his bare hands if that's what it took. The JP text really did emphasize how they'd basically had an Alpha-like experience with Quattro during the Zeta Gundam part of the backstory, and Amuro "dying" affected both men deeply; it felt right to make sure to lean into it properly and make sure that anger got across. If anything, I think a bit of it might've gotten toned down by Bandai-Namco a bit for the sheer amount of profanity that came out of Ryoma's mouth at certain points.

It's also interesting how much more philosophical Bright is about it if he's the one who has to confront Char/Quattro alone. If anything, Bright has even more reason to hate Char, but you get the sense that he's more just... tired of it all. If "Quattro" has something useful for the team and can help out, so be it.

And for the post after this: yeah, they lean even harder on the "decade-long trio" stuff in 30 and all of it's just great. :allears:

Fake-real edit: Also, concerning secrets, I will simply say this: the trailers were very good about avoiding spoiling the wild poo poo, and I cannot wait to see it all discovered. :q:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Caidin posted:

I just got to the bit where I get to name my squad after starting out in space. How massively different would it all have gone to start on earth with the other character, the pig tails girl in this case? Would she have had a different machine?

Also uh, second mission question or so. Could I have picked up those spaced children? Like Oso is all like "It's fine, totally fine!" but...

This one's fairly early, and I can see how it might be confusing to someone who hasn't seen V Gundam before, so no, there's no way to recover Shakti and the others on your own in that mission; them getting thrown out into space and what results is a significant plot point from the original V Gundam show. Follow the V Gundam plotline if you're curious about them.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

HiKaizer posted:

I might have misunderstood a comment from a day or two ago then. Well if it is of no use to anyone, everyone can just ignore it and I won't worry if I find more.

Absolutely submit these bugs to Bandai-Namco, but we're not the ones who would be handling correcting this at this point.

Also, for Steam users, a 1.0.0.1 update seems to be available, as per BN. This update is an attempt at fixing the stability issues some users have reported. https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/898750/view/3108040246272198378

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

EclecticTastes posted:

"All those times I said, 'All cops are bastards', I always whispered, 'Except one'. J-Decker was that one!"

I'm really glad that the J-Decker crew mostly seem to have been received well. :unsmith: It does help that I think, to a certain degree, the 30 writing crew in Japan picked up on what was happening and made sure this version of J-Decker worked to hit a few particular notes.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Siegkrow posted:

I'd love having a translated OG collection on PC, not gonna lie.

The problem is the sheer amount of labor required for such an endeavor. It's not just the translation (though OGs + OG Gaiden + 2nd OG + Dark Prison + the necessary re-TL of MD would be a truly crushing amount of work, even given several years of real time), but it all then has to be implemented into the game and QA'd. And you'd need to do some work to make OGs look clean on modern systems (since 480p is still going to be a very low resolution on a lot of modern monitors and would look kind of bad compared to an era-appropriate TV).

Conceptually, I think it'd be rad and is probably the best solution for preserving those games long-term, but it would be an enormous amount of labor for what would ultimately be a bunch of re-releases and might have dodgy sales prospects.

(Lord knows Bamco needs to do something about Dark Prison after Sony told everyone with exclusive download content on the PS3 store to jump in acid, tho. That one faces an Actual Acessibility Crisis.)