Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KoB posted:

Designed by Kazutaka Miyatake of Macross and Grungust fame.

HiKaizer right on the loving money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's a few BONES mecha that have been in maybe a single game and no other, and a ton more that haven't been in any.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://twitter.com/dramata1/status/1431775021039501312

Mogami:
We're running low on unused alphabet letters.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JamMasterJim posted:

I just realized I never bothered with the bullet system.

Me when I remember Ryukooh has an alt form.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Siegkrow posted:

Counterpoint: TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN

edit: Actually, TTGL is basically what if Getter Rays were less evil, right?

:anti-spiral thunk emoji:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Getter? I hardly know 'er!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If I had to guess I've expect DLC content to be other OG mecha. Grungust and (original) Huckebein, maybe, or like the DGGs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nuebot posted:

On that subject: I always found Combattler, Voltes and Dancouga were weirdly fragile in J and it might have just been how I played but they never seemed as good as other supers like Mazinger, so I wound up shelving them until the game made me use them.

Dancouga gets more survivable once it gets it's last upgrade, but the Nagahama boys are absolutely made of tissue paper.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Bring back the Z1 retro-styled effects.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
helll yeah!!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Probably, but I wouldn't turn down a Grungust-like forming its head.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alacron posted:

My DLC prediction is that we're gonna see some fan-favorite OYW suits, Char's Zaku II seems likely. But as a super longshot prediction I'm gonna say the Zeong will be playable, bonus points if they give it legs.

Legs are just for show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Endorph posted:

between this, the giant BUY DLC button at camp sites in arise, and the ridiculous list of launch dlc for idolmaster starlit season, im not exactly a huge fan of the direction bamco is going with dlc

No kidding.

Endorph posted:

with this reveal wonder what DLC2 will actually be. seems like the formula is one obvious thing, one real robot series, one super robot series, and one of those is related to something already in the game and one is off the wall.

dynazenon feels too recent.

off the top of my head my guess would be akito the exiled, some other brave series (exkaiser would probably be easiest to work with a single dlc unit?) and

... five star stories?

Maybe G:SP Jet Jaguar?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Have that as an alternative ending like how earlier games handled Ideon or Baldios.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EclecticTastes posted:

It's probably a good thing that it's made pretty clear that the world inside Akane's mind keeps existing after she wakes up, or this could lead to some dark implications.

"Okay, so we need to save Akane, but we need to leave her just a little bit emotionally damaged, so she continues to hide away from her real life here with us, or we'll all cease to exist."

This is completely unrelated to the game or mecha at all, but anyone interested in seeing this concept played out to it's conclusion should check out weird British cartoon short Rarg. :v:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

General Revil posted:

It's not even hidden. If you play the demo and take the Earth route, it'll show up in the "Prerequisites" tab of the mission screen. You need to give Combattler 30 kills and reach his CUB bonus to unlock.

Out of curiosity, which SRW gives Combattler V the most individual attacks? It has like forty of them in the show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SpaceDrake posted:

in truth, it was neat but it wasn't a great use of disc space.

the things I read on this website

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

boblemoche posted:

Hey SpaceDrake, got something you want to share with the class ?

Evidently:

https://twitter.com/SpaceDrakeCF/status/1453422024248881156

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
All joking aside: kudos! congrats! and thanks to all the folk who worked on this!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Supremezero posted:

Embrace your inner Van.

It loving blows my mind that this quirk of his actually has an payoff in the show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I love how Garrod is just plainly AU Maito from Might Gaine.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pharohman777 posted:

So in the SRW games has there ever been a plot point that a guy in a kitbashed DIY type of mech gets a big upgrade or something because they start taking all the worn-down and broken parts from high-end mechs undergoing maintenance?

If they ever make a good Shu in the way Asakim is the bad Masaki, I want his mecha to be like this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i can't believe that giant grungust-rear end ship doesn't transform or do anything cool, really.

I know we're all a little disappointed that it doesn't transform into a robot, but I just realized we also missed out on it transforming into a large tank.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EclecticTastes posted:

It feels like it's in mostly for nostalgia reasons, since Combattler 3 debuted all the way back in SRW3 and

I can't believe Hyoma and Juzo are loving dead.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

drrockso20 posted:

Like I've said before just leave them voiceless

I feel you but this will never happen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Now I'm reminded of rumors that the animation for the 2012 Combattler pachinko machine was originally meant to promote a remake.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Willo567 posted:

Wait what? I thought it was just a standard pachinko release.

Honestly that's probably true, but iirc back when that footage first made the rounds there was some unverified gossip about how it was totally going to be a new anime before it got demoted to pachinko duty.

There's a pachislot Raideen too, which was obviously only ever meant to be game footage (because it teams up with the 2007 remake :lol:).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pharohman777 posted:

Wait, so the creator of Combattler V got hammered after the monster of the week wrecked combattler v, then saw some yo-yo tricks on tv and thats how the yo-yo attack was born!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIP99avRnuM

oh hay, that's my edit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Red five, you've turned off your Unit ID. What's wrong?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HerraS posted:

voltesvmission.jpg

I recently learned that there's a loving story behind this.

So Tadao Nagahama, dude who's does puppet shows and also worked for Sunrise directing the latter half of Yuusha Raideen, gets told that he's gonna be in charge of this new cartoon, Combattler V. So he takes the initial designs, shows them to a bunch of local elemetary kids and takes notes on what they like and don't like about the robot, and then makes several changes to make it cooler. This causes havok at the toy company where they have to actual build the thing, and ends up delaying the toy and anime by several weeks (because you can't broadcast the cartoon until the toy is ready).

CV is a huge hit that sells a billion toys but all the same they're not happy with Nagahama making extra work for them, so for the next show they just give him the Voltes V design any tell him he can't suggest changes.

He says "sure," but gives it a sword, which doesn't technically change the mold but does mean that Bandai has to hustle to build a new accessory and delays the toy (and cartoon) for two weeks anyways.

And that's why CV is 54 episodes long instead of 52.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Endorph posted:

That and how there are missions where the characters are like 'don't aim for the cockpit' or 'be sure to let them eject'

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah I dunno what the deal is with them not having time to do Boss of all characters twice in a row, it's not like he's some nobody.

they're saving him as the final DLC character

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It'd be need to have a combiner decombine as a swarm, where you don't however many separate units but just one unit that's graphically five ships or whatever.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EclecticTastes posted:

and presumably* does something similar with a decapitated Maasai and bisected Pygmy to create the phenomenally problematic Viscount Pygman.

*his actual origin is never explored, it's actually kind of a wonder he was remade for Shin Mazinger because he's otherwise been wisely deleted from the franchise.

It amazed me that Shin Mazinger largely played him very well but then brings back his pygmy form for like one scene just before he dies.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"The story is incredibly important" and "the story is an excuse plot" aren't necessarily contradictory.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EclecticTastes posted:

Okay, now I know we're talking past each other. "The writing is good and was made with care" and "the writing exists to justify the premise, not the other way around" are not opposite statements.

Yeah, that's what I meant as well. It ain't necessarily good or bad, it just is what it is.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I love this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neo_Crimson posted:

I think that has more to do with Bandai wanting to milk UC more and more than what Tomino actually believed, or wrote.

Yeah, it's worth remembering that MS Gundam ended with the presumed end to robot punching all the way back in '80. It's not so much that Tomino is pessimistic (although....) so much that when he does write an optimistic ending, Bandai doesn't let it stick.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
One result of this is that the more optimistic mecha shows aren't and really can't be franchises, at least not with a singular continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

chiasaur11 posted:

Oddly enough, this year marked Evangelion, of all things, as a rather notable exception to the rule.

I don't know that I'd count Evangelion being a single continuity, but it is an interesting counter-example. It's a IP which is mostly the love child of a handful of creators who've managed to maintain (or reclaim) ownership of it over the years. It's not like Gundam where it's had different creators over the years but it's property of Bandai.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 17, 2021