Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I am absolutely convinced that this series should be an anime and that there's no way to do the magic justice in a medium outside of animation.

That said I'm also super excited to see it in live action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's 2021, the line between cgi and straight up animation isn't what it used to be. Just look at literally any Marvel thing.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

twistedmentat posted:

I tried to read the first book 20 years ago and I was bored to death. Please note this is also when I was at my move voracious reading, so its less I was too young and more it was boring. I remember telling my friend who lent me it that it made me think if Bilbo's party just kept going and going and there was no point to any of it. He told me "oh it gets real good in book 4" and I'm thinking I don't want to read that much before the series gets good.
Yeah, when explaining the structure of the series to people, I say: There's an Opening Trilogy, then the Main Series, then the Ending Trilogy. Books 4-5-6 feel different and are just about different stuff than books 1-2-3. But if you're bored, stop. Go do something that doesn't bore you.

twistedmentat posted:

The only other thing I know is "tugs on their braid"
You know enough.

Natural 20 posted:

I am absolutely convinced that this series should be an anime and that there's no way to do the magic justice in a medium outside of animation.
:hmmyes:

Natural 20 posted:

:hmmyes:

IRQ posted:

It's 2021, the line between cgi and straight up animation isn't what it used to be. Just look at literally any Marvel thing.
Mostly, what worries me there is just budget. It's not that I don't think you can do anime-style action/magic scenes, but that it costs more. (But I don't actually know how much more, and most of the early content of the series shouldn't require a huge CGI budget ...)

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Vavrek posted:

Yeah, when explaining the structure of the series to people, I say: There's an Opening Trilogy, then the Main Series, then the Ending Trilogy.
There's four trilogies total, two main trilogies: 4-6 is one and 7-11 is another. You can see where the problem is.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I will not stand for this second half of The Great Hunt/Dragon Reborn erasure!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Trailer leaked.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HaPthxo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

please add to OP

Data Graham posted:

My glib boil-down of the whole thing is usually like “oh so you say LotR has no women in it? Well have a story with ALL THE WOMEN IN THE WORRRLLLD hahaha”

If you want a Smarty Pants hot take on the whole series, a good one is "In the same way that the Lord of the Rings was an English soldier's response to the experience of World War 1, the Wheel of Time is an American soldier's response to Vietnam."

It's an overblown comparison but there's enough merit to it to start people arguing.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 25, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

please add to OP

I actually did think about it initially but didn't because I thought it might be a little spoilery for anyone new to the series, but if you all think it should be there I will add it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a basic detail about wheel of time overall is that it features more women in general as important characters than you might have expected from fantasy at the time, and while robert jordan was the one who wrote it his wife was his editor and iirc jordan based a lot of the individual traits various notable women have as defining characteristics on things that he saw in his wife

there's a myriad of minor gripes here and there that readers of the series have thrown around over the years when it comes to various aspects of the series as a whole, but in general it was at least a definite effort to try and balance things out more in terms of character spread and i figure it gets a few bonus points for that at the least. depending on how the show handles things it might become a favorite among certain demographics for that reason alone. who knows! in any case don't exactly expect game of thrones when it comes to the handling of women.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Vavrek posted:

Mostly, what worries me there is just budget. It's not that I don't think you can do anime-style action/magic scenes, but that it costs more. (But I don't actually know how much more, and most of the early content of the series shouldn't require a huge CGI budget ...)

As I understand it, Wheel of Time's budget is somewhere in the vicinity of $10m per episode, so $80m for the first season. Which sounds like a lot until we remember that apparently the Lord of the Rings TV show costs $465m for eight episodes, though that's a total cost, including buying the rights from the Tolkien estate, set construction and so on. I don't know if the WoT $80m includes the up front costs like the LottR number does, so the two shows may be closer in total budget that it initially appears.

Nevertheless, LotR is the most expensive TV show ever, and WoT definitely isn't, but how that'll show up on screen? No way to know yet. :shrug:

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Natural 20 posted:

This is my opinion as well. Even the highest budget live action + cgi adaptation will never be as good as even a mediocre animated series could be. Fantasy and sci-fi in general really need to start going this way, animated adaptations are a much better way to translate scale and style. Take Into The Spider-Verse versus all those other MCU films, it ain't even close which one looks better and is a better use of the medium.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jng2058 posted:

LotR is the most expensive TV show ever, and WoT definitely isn't, but how that'll show up on screen? No way to know yet. :shrug:

I don't think there's much of an indication what the plot of the Lord of the Rings show will be yet, so there's really no telling what kind of budget it would need to dedicate for CGI, large action set pieces etc. If the Wheel of Time show is just doing the first book or two on that kind of budget then I don't think there's nearly as heavy a budgetary requirement for fanciful settings, large scale battles, big CGI set pieces as there would be in something like Lord of the Rings. At least based on what the films did, and I doubt the show will be shy about those areas either, even if they're telling a different story in a different time period (which is about all the details they've released so far as I know). A lot of the first book is fairly small scale action against one or two fantasy creatures, small spells etc. from what I remember. The locations are mostly pastoral vistas, and fairly low level fantasy cityscapes or castles too, if I recall.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm psyched but also feeling its going to be a poo poo series?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's hard to stress that i don't think anyone has an even remotely clear picture as to what to expect from the show at this point, given the bizarre circumstances last year and amazon probably waiting to blast all their advertising out a few weeks before the premiere

i don't even mean this in a way where i'm trying to be optimistic or pessimistic, i just have no clue in the slightest until they actually start showing things off

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I can't find any real info outside of 6 episode titles for season 1, with two unnamed. And based on cast lists they're combining stuff from books 1 and 2 but also leaving out some characters. So I guess we'll have to wafo (watch and find out)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yeah, I can't find any real info outside of 6 episode titles for season 1, with two unnamed. And based on cast lists they're combining stuff from books 1 and 2 but also leaving out some characters. So I guess we'll have to wafo (watch and find out)

Yeah, the current guess seems to be that season one is mostly Eye with probably the Fal Dara parts of The Great Hunt mixed in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vavrek posted:

Yeah, when explaining the structure of the series to people, I say: There's an Opening Trilogy, then the Main Series, then the Ending Trilogy. Books 4-5-6 feel different and are just about different stuff than books 1-2-3. But if you're bored, stop. Go do something that doesn't bore you.

Yea the series will probably be a good way to enjoy the story. It's a bit like Foundation, though I read until the one with the Mule, which honestly was the only really interesting part. And I read ALL the Dune Books; God Emperor, Heretics and Chapterhouse, so i can read long winded philosophical works.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

jng2058 posted:

As I understand it, Wheel of Time's budget is somewhere in the vicinity of $10m per episode, so $80m for the first season. Which sounds like a lot until we remember that apparently the Lord of the Rings TV show costs $465m for eight episodes, though that's a total cost, including buying the rights from the Tolkien estate, set construction and so on. I don't know if the WoT $80m includes the up front costs like the LottR number does, so the two shows may be closer in total budget that it initially appears.

Nevertheless, LotR is the most expensive TV show ever, and WoT definitely isn't, but how that'll show up on screen? No way to know yet. :shrug:
https://www.wotseries.com/2021/07/16/update-on-wheel-of-time-tv-series-budget/
They spent $91 million dollars just in the Czech Republic. "The above figures do not include spending in Croatia, Tenerife, Slovenia and Spain. Additional spending on post production, visual effects and other foreign cast and crew is also likely not represented in the above figures."

That's already 11.375 million per episode without including any other costs. Which is a higher budget than GoT until the final season or 2. At the time of it's release it's entirely possible WoT season 1will be the most expensive season of television ever aired, at worst it will be 2nd place to GoT season 8 ( until LOTR debuts).

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It seems like there's a bunch of attempts to pick up the big budget fantasy market that Game of Thrones developed and then orphaned, two of them simultaneously coming from Amazon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah Bezos apparently has a personal interest in capturing the "next game of thrones" and these are his plays towards that end.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wheel of time is absolutely their attempt to get in on that pie, with the difference here being that the series was actually finished even if the original author died

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Johnny Joestar posted:

wheel of time is absolutely their attempt to get in on that pie, with the difference here being that the series was actually finished even if the original author died

It was even finished after the author's death. Robert Jordan wrote more books after his death than GRRM did in the same time period.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mage_Boy posted:

It was even finished after the author's death. Robert Jordan wrote more books after his death than GRRM did in the same time period.

The benefits of having an outline and a publishing company with the guts to say "We know you're sick, finish it however you want, pick whoever you want to replace you if the worst happens, but if you don't we're demanding the advances back."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Jordan had apparently written more background material than pages in the main storyline (that's why it all took so long). There were something like ten thousand pages of notes. He apparently wrote out a little biography / character sheet type thing for each individual Aes Sedai in the Tower.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jordan had apparently written more background material than pages in the main storyline (that's why it all took so long). There were something like ten thousand pages of notes. He apparently wrote out a little biography / character sheet type thing for each individual Aes Sedai in the Tower.

Publish that poo poo Silmarillion style and I'll buy it, come on Tor/Jordan's wife.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

IRQ posted:

Publish that poo poo Silmarillion style and I'll buy it, come on Tor/Jordan's wife.

They did an encyclopedia like that, I don't think it's complete, but it's less interesting than you or I both hoped.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for anyone who hasn't read the series, the sanderson-written books at the end are generally regarded as one of the best outcomes we could have gotten considering jordan's death. there's a little bit of a style difference you can feel and you can tell that in some scenarios there might not have been as many notes left behind on them as others did, but overall it's a plenty serviceable end to the series and definitely much better than leaving it hanging otherwise. there was a lot of work done to cobble together what was outlined into something usable.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mage_Boy posted:

How do I forward this to Patrick Rothfuss?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Yeah Bezos apparently has a personal interest in capturing the "next game of thrones" and these are his plays towards that end.

Imagine being the richest person on the planet and having a TV show made to cash in on a gap in the market - instead of getting the best people in the business to make the exact show you want to see, even if no one else even likes it. Billionaires are fundamentally broken. What's the point of having more money than you can possibly spend if you're not even human enough to enjoy it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why make the exact show you want to see when you can make the show you believe other people want and pull in more money to fuel passion projects like personal jaunts to space? It's the new hotness for billionaires. It's not even like Amazon Prime is Bezos' big money spinner anyway. He makes far more money off web servers and online retail. Prime is just one more revenue stream for him, and not even close to the biggest. Amazon are getting into games now too, so if that takes off and starts pulling in top dollar for the games market then it'll probably surpass Prime revenue too, because the video games market has been worth more than the TV and movie market for awhile now. He could make a TV show or movie for him and him alone and it wouldn't even cost him that much (comparatively), but I doubt he cares about making one in comparison to having a trip into space.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tsob posted:

Why make the exact show you want to see when you can make the show you believe other people want and pull in more money to fuel passion projects like personal jaunts to space?
'Cause he can already afford that. He can already afford anything.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hoarding vast wealth is a mental illness and is inherently irrational hth

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tiggum posted:

'Cause he can already afford that. He can already afford anything.

Rockets are an expensive business. You're taking it for granted that he has a story he wants to see, when the reality seems to be that he could not give a single gently caress about TV beyond the monetary opportunities and he is spending money on the things he cares about.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

tsob posted:

Rockets are an expensive business. You're taking it for granted that he has a story he wants to see, when the reality seems to be that he could not give a single gently caress about TV beyond the monetary opportunities and he is spending money on the things he cares about.

Didn't he personally save The Expanse because he wanted to see more?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The story of Bez who rode a flaming metal dick to the stars

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tsob posted:

Amazon are getting into games now too, so if that takes off and starts pulling in top dollar for the games market then it'll probably surpass Prime revenue too, because the video games market has been worth more than the TV and movie market for awhile now.

Yes, it's a whole New World of revenue, with graphics so close to WoW in 2006 that it's melting GPUs, and the reviews are on fire too!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

In retrospect, I wonder to what degree that narrative was just cynical PR to align himself and Amazon in the public's eye with space exploration using an ill-fated critical darling that would generate buzz that could help him get more highly-lucrative Blue Origin contracts. Could be correlation rather than causation, but I wouldn't put it past him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Junkenstein posted:

Did he? If he did, then he is spending money on shows for himself, just not on many and presumably more because there aren't many he cares about rather than because of stinginess.

IRQ posted:

Yes, it's a whole New World of revenue, with graphics so close to WoW in 2006 that it's melting GPUs, and the reviews are on fire too!

I assume this is in reference to some controversy with the game(s), but if it is, then it's going right over my head, because beyond knowing that Amazon is making an MMORPG I couldn't tell you a single thing about the game(s), their graphics, performance or reviews. None of that poo poo is enough to make or break a game anyway, and if Bezos keeps driving Amazon towards the games market then he could probably make more there than off Prime, regardless of the quality of his game(s).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Anything is possible I guess. They're not off to a very promising start though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The story of Bez who rode a flaming metal dick to the stars
Great reference. :discourse: