Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

you’re not a horse though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I grew up around them and was badly injured more than once and frankly they're just too loving dumb to safely be that strong, but I don't approve of causing pain to a creature to get what you want out of it.

I'm in alberta and this is shithead cowboy country, and I've never seen anyone whip a horse

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

you’re not a horse though

thank god

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
why is humans giving each other rides called piggyback

no one rides actual pigs

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I feel like the "nobody should ride on a horse" thing comes from not entirely getting the mutual bond and symbiosis, just like the "nobody should own a dog" thing.

That being said, a large amount of people either do not understand the trust that you have to build up, or they abuse it.

All of this poo poo depends on how the owners approach the relationship with the animal, how they build up or ignore communication

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

no one rides actual pigs

because some ancient 10 year old started yelling "piggy back piggy back" and it's in the language ever since

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

haveblue posted:

no one rides actual pigs

“The adverb piggyback likely began as "a pick pack." Another early form of the word is pickback, evidence of which can be found in the still-extant variant pickaback. The adverb piggyback dates to the mid-16th century, and the noun-referring to an act of carrying piggyback-was in use by the end of that same century. The adjective piggyback, as in "piggyback ride," didn't enter the language until the 18th century, and the now-common verb piggyback didn't piggyback on the others until the late 19th century.”

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

alexandriao posted:

I feel like the "nobody should ride on a horse" thing comes from not entirely getting the mutual bond and symbiosis, just like the "nobody should own a dog" thing.

That being said, a large amount of people either do not understand the trust that you have to build up, or they abuse it.

actually I don't give a poo poo if you ride a horse, I just don't like to do it myself. do whatever you want. you can get a dog too

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mediaphage posted:

“The adverb piggyback likely began as "a pick pack." Another early form of the word is pickback, evidence of which can be found in the still-extant variant pickaback. The adverb piggyback dates to the mid-16th century, and the noun-referring to an act of carrying piggyback-was in use by the end of that same century. The adjective piggyback, as in "piggyback ride," didn't enter the language until the 18th century, and the now-common verb piggyback didn't piggyback on the others until the late 19th century.”

huh

quote:

piggy-back, "on the shoulders or back like a pack or bundle," 1823, probably a folk etymology alteration of colloquial pickapack, pick pack (1560s) "on the back or shoulders like a pack," which perhaps is from pick, a dialectal variant of pitch (v.1).

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Yeah, gently caress those guys. Don't abuse animals.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PokeJoe posted:

actually I don't give a poo poo if you ride a horse, I just don't like to do it myself. do whatever you want. you can get a dog too

I didn't mean to single you out and I was only partially talking about what you said, sorry about that bud

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bjy5YQ5xPc

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I grew up around them and was badly injured more than once and frankly they're just too loving dumb to safely be that strong, but I don't approve of causing pain to a creature to get what you want out of it.

i thought this was about the rich until the pain part and it still applies

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
idk poo poo about horses but like they're huge with very thick skin so what looks like you're wailin on em might just be like a small monkey whapping you with a lil plastic straw or something idk

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
spurs seem like a lil much tho

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i think sa has some horse smilies

:horse:

just the one i think

all the horse people i've met have been rich and / or psycho

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

idk poo poo about horses but like they're huge with very thick skin so what looks like you're wailin on em might just be like a small monkey whapping you with a lil plastic straw or something idk

no dude what the hell

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

alexandriao posted:

I didn't mean to single you out and I was only partially talking about what you said, sorry about that bud

it's all good. i do agree that the no pets people are out there i just didn't want to be lumped in with them

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

alexandriao posted:

If you saddle them up too young or are riding a horse that can't support your weight you are physically hurting them and for younger horses you can cause lasting injuries.

That doesn't seem like the same thing as owning a dog at all.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

mediaphage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzSgTNb9DXs

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
what is a horse even?!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If you saddle them up too young or are riding a horse that can't support your weight you are physically hurting them and for younger horses you can cause lasting injuries.

That doesn't seem like the same thing as owning a dog at all.

You're misreading me.

Abuse of the animal can take many, many forms. Just because it happens doesn't mean that say, horse-riding or dog owning is innately bad. There's a huge systemic and cultural problem in how people treat pets (I blame both religion AND Kant for this, both of them putting humans at the top of some lovely "deserves ethical treatment" chain). The fault lies with the owner in all cases, and the root problems are the culture and systems that underpin how that human relates to other beings.

In no way did I say that abuse is good? Just that horse-riding is not innately wrong, if it is done with care and respect for the horse, and with the intent to build a mutual bond and form of communication with the horse.

Like, you see this poo poo in dogs too, which is why I mentioned it. How many owners teach their dogs to stop growling and are surprised when the dog bites, because they chose to abusefully disregard and punish a dog that is signalling stress and discomfort? Just because a shittily high amount of humans are irresponsible and abusive doesn't mean that all dog-owning is bad.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Actually you see this with everything. Bringing up children, entering into personal relationships, etc.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PKD6Jmlq6Y

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

DrPossum posted:

what is a horse even?!

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

rotor posted:

a small monkey whapping you with a lil plastic straw or something idk

small monkeys are no joke. I’ve been to a monkey sanctuary and got to interact with adolescent capuchin monkeys that were beer can sized. the little fuckers had pinched so strong it felt like they’d tear an ear straight off if it wanted to

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYzVMcgWhg

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

hosed up if true

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Kernel Sanders posted:

small monkeys are no joke. I’ve been to a monkey sanctuary and got to interact with adolescent capuchin monkeys that were beer can sized. the little fuckers had pinched so strong it felt like they’d tear an ear straight off if it wanted to

i think a small monkey would really gently caress you up if it wanted to

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I could fight a monkey but I'd feel really guilty about it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i could not fight a monkey, it would skin me alive

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i'll fight anyone smaller than me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if u gotta fight a small monkey, bring a little knife and then a big knife. go at em with the little knife first. when they inevitably steal the little knife you pull out the big one and they'll be all oh poo poo motherfucker i'm hosed now aaaaaaah

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
opinion of my dressage trainer friend: that’s a horse event where it’s not your horse so you do expect some pairs to get off on the wrong foot.

however they get 20 minutes to warm up and meet the horse and that horse still looks really freaked out, which seems like 100% of the real problem is the rider not being able to calm the horse down. if you can’t calm yourself down you aren’t gonna calm anything else down.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syBUMkw_JwE

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

did you do the wood wrap yourself, or is it a shell? I was looking for a good vinyl or solid color shell, but could probably have better luck buy the sheets myself since the shell I tried is thin paint so it's going back
it's a shell, I came across it on amazon and it matched the woodgrain on my switchblades (the joycon rail kickstands) perfectly.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

where did you get those aluminum buttons from?

they're kinda pricey, but they do feel amazing. there's a few finishes and you can get them concave or convex: https://steelsticks64.com/?product=switch-pro-controller-metal-button-sets

rotor posted:

this is fuckin sweet as hell man

thanks!

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

DrPossum posted:

what is a horse even?!

Ruddha posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I know for a fact that horses are stupider than poo poo and WILL kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions and adorn them
in the right silly accessories so that they don't scare themselves and fall over dead, and even then at best you can reduce the chances that they will do that, but they're still absolutely going to.

Women who are obsessed with horses are just as bad as ones who are obsessed with anything else, but it may be dumber because it's a placeholder for animalistic male sexuality; however, in reality,
it doesn't hold up because dominant male sexual energy is incompatible with horse personality and tendencies because, again, they're absolutely going to kill themselves by accident, whereas studs
and straight power tops are highly unlikely to catch their reflection in a mirror then break their leg and get eaten by a mountain lioness

Of course, if you don't nail little metal rings onto them, they'll split open, and then they'll die.

I personally guarantee you a dog will never in this life hear a bee then have a heart attack out of fear, dying.

Babies grow up and that's okay, it's like, sometimes a great meal is worth a lot of prep, for example. Horses only get more likely to die from a stupid reason as they get older. Oh poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died.

That's understandable, but in the scheme of things it's a fairly low chance. With horses, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they've strictly only died from stupid poo poo. Saw water and passed away.Ruddha posted:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-fk58J08w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_zrgBobQV4