Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/fencing/olympic-schedule-and-results.htm

Live results page. Kinda hard to read: 2 events are being run simultaneously, and it's listed by bout time instead of dividing by event.

Men's Epee and Women's Foil is on the doxket for today. Should be exciting for Team USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jose posted:

This is extremely grim. Just letting someone compete ignore the fact we have to treat him like Hannibal lecter

https://twitter.com/kumaraishwarya/status/1418709503378345985?s=19

This Buzzfeed article also has the anecdote about him kicking an unhoused person and laughing.

I'm involved with fencing in the US and most of the people I know have not been happy about this since back before he made selection.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A Gin Palace posted:

the groin is target area in foil tho so you would still get a point. i guess you could also get a point in epee for it. it's kind of a bad target to hit for strategy reasons though

Ehh, it happens in sloppy infighting or passing in epee such that it's not a surprising thing to happen when it does. I'm reffing a national event this weekend, and I've had two separate instances of guys getting getting hit in the groin. That said, it being cadets and juniors (youth categories) probably explains the frequency more than tactical reasoning.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In part, epee has just been pushing athleticism since 2000, and it's finally starting to pay off. Another part is that the non-combativity rule overhaul might've finally directed epeeists to fence and not hope for the clock and a coin flip to save them. Don't get me wrong it's still, generally, the slowest and, usually, has the largest numbers, but things are changing. At the US Fencing Summer Nationals, there were days were the epee event beat foil to the finals strip.

Wifi Toilet posted:

I don't know who any of these people are and there are no rankings displayed so I can't root for the underdog, so I'm just going for whoever has the coolest masks.

This is some Star Wars looking poo poo

Lol, allowing painted masks was the best thing ever and I love all of them. Also, I hate that, for a time, it was an armorer's decision (i.e. the most conservative minded of tournament officials) who had final say on mask designs. There's a kid in the US circuit that rocks a panda face and it's the best thing ever.

EDIT: Holy hell, Meinhardt (#1) and Massialas(#3) are out in the 32s! The USA's only shot at a medal in MF is from Itkin, who was NOT guaranteed an Olympic slot at the beginning of the year. Zagunis is the only remaining US fencer in WS. It'd be really cool if she snagged her 3rd Olympic medal, but doubtful.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 26, 2021

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
US Men's epee team dropped their opening match and left the games in last place. 3 fencers wore pink masks, and the other one most explicitly did not. He also was never subbed in which means he was never an Olympian.