Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Wait. Are Vancouver fans brains broken to the point of saying Vancouver should trade Quinn Hughes ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can’t believe Seattle couldn’t get 2 picks from Washington to take Dillon. Wtf.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Who's taking Corey Perry back to the Stanley Cup Finals this year?

Can Tampa take him? Maybe he'll go 0/3

This would be perfect if Pat Maroon is on the winning team.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

This is interesting to hear from a local, as I wondered the same thing about Chicago as an outsider. You can probably make this argument about every NHL city, though (less than 32 if you count NYR/NYI/NJ and LA/ANA as in one market each), which is why I hate the "there's nothing to do in (small-market team city)" argument.

I've never understood the mystique around NYC and, like your post, my gut feel was somewhat confirmed by a friend from Columbus who went to undergrad in the City and moved back for work: "It's fun if you're in college and there's not much to worry about, but it's a different experience when you actually have to adult and worry about things like money and rent." Similarly, if you exclude anything to do with Broadway/Country Music/bachelorette parties, what else is there to do in Nashville?

NYC is (no surprise) expensive as poo poo. But for a 20-35 year old athlete making 600k to millions of dollars, they don’t have to necessarily worry about the cost, so it’s mostly all glamor and there’s endless poo poo to do in NYC.

I’ve said this before, but there’s a reason a lot of people are moving to Nashville. It’s a pretty badass place with a lot of poo poo to do, and there’s like 5 cities within 3-5 hours drive too. It’s obviously not a hidden gem or whatever anymore, but Nashville is def not a boring place , even if it is now a place with horrible traffic because everyone moved there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Years ago I lived for a couple years way out a hundred miles from nowhere, in the vast nothing west of Nashville. It was 45 minutes from the nearest Walmart, and the only place you could get reliable cell reception in the whole county was in the Dollar General parking lot.

It was loving awesome.

But I don't like people, so YMMV.

Yeah, Tennessee gets super rural really quick in all directions after 40ish mins. It’s def a city oasis in a rural desert.

The south and Midwest, hell probably most of the USA, are like that in general.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Tomorrow has the potential to be a real nightmare for Canucks fans

So…..another day ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mennoknight posted:

Nurse - Barrie
Keith - Ceci
Russell - Bouchard

LOL

Did they trade Bear ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This is a super low ball considering he can get $9 mill on the open market ? $63 mill over 7 years versus $50 over 8 ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

So….same as last year ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A 1st for Keumper is a good deal, especially for Colorado who really could use him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Isn't the game against the Canucks, too? That's uh, not going to be great hockey.

Excuse me, but AHL games are almost as fun as NHL games.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Calling it now, Laine being traded to the Stars.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

It's kind of strange to think about but I don't know if there's anything on Dallas I would be willing to trade for Patirk Laine.

Not even Jani Hanakpaan ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Dirty Burger posted:

Granlund getting 4 years $20mil from the Preds seems like another bad centreman contract that Poile loves handing out

Wrong !

Granlund has been playing more wing than center lately

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goldrush posted:

Always remember, Bettman is a lawyer first, a human being second

This 100%. Bettman is both amazingly good at his job (protect the owners), and he is good at said job because he is extremely cold hearted.

Reminder of the story when Bettman was negotiating whatever rights (I think TV), and he purposefully planned dinner with whatever executive in a bad part of NYC. The executive couldn’t get a cab, and when he asked if Bettman could give him a ride in his (pre planned) ride , Bettman responded “only if you agree to what I asked.”

He got the deal too. loving cold hearted son of a bitch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

yeah the pacific is loving awful and thats even with replacing arizona with seattle

Did they move Arizona to the central ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don’t know if it’s been up for a while or not, but ESPN+ now has a splash page about having the NHL.

https://plus.espn.com/NHL/

I’ve been waiting for the other shoe to drop regarding a possible surcharge for “the NHL package” or something similar, but judging from this page it seems like that’s not happening? The page definitely makes it seem like every out of market game is included in the base ESPN+ membership, which is pretty nuts.

Now I just need to figure out if DNS unblockers like yonder.tv will work with ESPN+. And I assume games that are on TNT won’t be available on ESPN+ no matter what?

If they offer all NHL games with normal ESPN+ pricing, that would legit be a good deal and I would sign up day one.

That would be fair enough deal of even if you’re someone that is fine with finding streams, poo poo just pay because it’s convenient.

I will hold my breath until I actually see it though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kane for Eichel. One of one.

If the allegations are true (and I have a very hard time believing his statements), banishment back to Buffalo would be an appropriate start of punishment.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Troy Queef posted:

Nathan MacKinnon has zero Cups

Pat Maroon, who I saw enjoying a pitcher after his team got KO’d from a in-line tournament last weekend, has 3

Coincidence?

Can’t wait until they update the local car shield commercial where Pat Maroon brags to ROR on having an extra cup ring.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Add to that a DiPietro interview , apparently he’s gonna be a hockey analysis for ESPN.

https://theathletic.com/2747689/2021/08/03/espn-rick-dipietro-nhl-buyouts-simone-biles-twitter/?source=user_shared_article

“How did you end up with @Hdumpty39 as your Twitter handle?

Ooh, that’s a good one. When Twitter started, it wasn’t something I was really interested in becoming too involved with. But I was kind of interested to see what other people were saying. I was like, “I’ll make a name up.” Me and my wife went back and forth. And I was like, “You know, since I’ve been hurt all the time, let’s go with Humpty Dumpty.” I break apart, they put me back together. It stuck. My first radio job was with Alan Hahn. “Hahn and Humpty” sounded good together, so we kept it.

Do you think you’ll ever change it back to your real name?

Probably not, naw. I think we’re too far along in the process now to change it.”

Fantastic quote.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
One thing that was mentioned in the Fallon article is that he was never the same after injuring his shoulder (or whatever it was).

Honestly, he may have gone farther today , between more modern training and rehab, versus what it was back then.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VOTE1 posted:

The salary cap is high enough you can have a overpaid guy and not be screwed. It’s the second one that puts you in a sticky situation, the third in a bind and the 4th…

Not sure if teams should receive any sympathy for having multiple terrible contracts.

They shouldn’t.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kaprizov for Eichel, one for one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spelling Mitsake posted:

That's incredible, doesn't the Suter/Parise buyout have like a 14 million cap hit?

If I read it right, Minnesota lost a lot of players this off season (not all name players) , due to Seattle plus expiring contracts. They def still have a bunch of holes in their lineup to fill by start of regular season.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Has the league announced anything about Covid and vaccine protocols for teams and players?

The NFL is putting lots of pressure on players to get vaccinated and threatening games to be forfeited by the team that has an outbreak, especially if they can’t reschedule a game. They’re also withholding game day checks too. The NHL has a lot more flexibility to reschedule things than the NFL, but still curious if they’re going to be as strict.

Anybody on here getting season tickets? By all accounts it seems that stadiums will be at full capacity and I’m not sure Id want to sit in a full stadium with Delta running wild…

Then again things with the virus may be different come October, who the hell knows.

The NHL…..planning appropriately in advance????

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Evander Kane’s relationship with Sharks teammates and the organization may be irreparable

quick, everyone suggest their 4th line plug they'd happily send to San Jose.

Claude Girioux.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wait, when did Hasek play for the Senators ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

Hey folks, today is two months from the season opener. The expansion draft is done, and the free agent craziness is mostly finished.

Is there any interest in an offseason Fantasy Draft thread this year? Last time we did it in 2019 the draft itself took a little over a month. This is a lot later than we usually start but if we can get enough GMs signed up it should be doable before the actual NHL season gets going.

I’m in

I’m gonna claim my team now: Carolina Hurricanes (you’re welcome Moose).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 12, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

You have to try really hard to out tank Buffalo, but Columbus is going about it the right way.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

gently caress Mike Fisher All My Teachers Hate Mike Fisher

That’s Mr Carrie Underwood for you.

Also, all rich people suck.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Best way to teach a player a culture around winning is to have them not play for the Buffalo Sabres, so seems like a good idea to me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Michigan quietly had a pretty solid season last year given all the covid restrictions on their schedule and such. If I was Owen I'd definitely want to wait out the Buffalo mess a bit as well.

Unrelated, apparently Matthews is on the cover for NHL 22

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1428393152197582849

Am I missing something, how has Sidney Crosby never been on the cover ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

Alright, give me Columbus. Let me have an alternate version of my team to pull for in case the real one is p bad this year.

You need to change your avatar.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

That says to me someone in the Leafs organization has been watching Ted Lasso like it's a documentary.

….but Ted Lasso is a documentary????

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

ONLY FIVE (5) SPOTS LEFT IN THE FANTASY DRAFT THREAD!!!

Live a life without regrets! Sign up now, before it's too late!

Anyone who does not sign up is a coward.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flocons de Jambon posted:

I wonder if the NHL made a mistake in having the Canucks be the first home match for the Kraken. The Canucks start their season on the road and the game against the Kraken comes before Vancouver's home opener. There hasn't been a game open to the public in Vancouver in a long time, and even though prices are steep for the Kraken home opener, I could see a lot of bored rich people from BC making the trip.

It would be embarrassing if Canucks fans boo the Kraken out of their own barn on opening night.

They’ll stop booing after Seattle crushes Vancouver in said game.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

The only two things most hockey fans know about Svechnikov is that he's the dude who scored those cool carrying-the-puck goals, and he's the dude who challenged Ovi to a fight and got his face smashed in.

He's super skilled, not entirely useless in his own end, and likely to be worth more than 7.75 a year.

So what will Carolina do when they play Tom Wilson ? They didn’t toughen up like the Rangers did.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn that’s a great deal, even if obviously long. Coots probably will age decently and still play fine at age 35 anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

Couturier is 28 now? I feel like he just entered the league. Where the time go

His first season was 2012 at the age of like, 18. He started really young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Bergeron is an absurd statistical outlier. Do not expect any player to age like him at all no matter how similar their play styles are. For every Bergeron and Kopitar continuing to be effective two way forwards well into their thirties, there's a dozen Ryan Keslers and Mike Richardses plummeting into the void at 32.

Sure , but Coots also crosses the Canadian border from time to time, so we can always solve the contract with cocaine if need be.