Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Stealing the OP from T-Bone:

Round, uh, eight? of our offseason redrafting of the NHL. 32 goons assemble to ignore veterans and draft teenagers. At least three will draft gimmick teams of NHLers who look like Spielberg Era Nazis or guys with two consecutive vowels in their name. Many more will be consensus picked.

Here are the rules as posted before: The draft order will snake and be randomly chosen. We use a Google Spreadsheet to keep track of picks and you can make your own pages in there to show devotion to your fake teams if you so desire. As with all pursuits that combine nerdery and sports, this requires some time investment and as the game goes on, perhaps some research to find players to fit your drafting plan; expect to spend a month or two with your good buddies in this thread. Despite the serious element, this is all about fun (and escaping the miserable emptiness of the hockey offseason). We will do our best to discuss picks and explain what we are doing and it would be cool if some other folks would do the same. We will post obscure advanced metrics to support our reaches and videos to support our vague feels.

RULES
1. Players you select must be the "property" of an NHL team. For instance, you can draft recently drafted guys like Owen Power. This rule seems to have always had a lot of leeway, with people drafting UFAs and various unsigned players. I think it makes sense to do it as, they must have been the property of an NHL team, played the past season in the NHL, or are in the process of coming to the NHL (i.e. like if Jagr tries to come back again).

2. The salary cap for 2021-2022 is $81.5 million. The cap floor is $60.2 million. If you gently caress up the cap we'll laugh at you but we'll still need you next year because this forum is dying.

3. The draft timer only runs from 10:00 AM EST to 10:00 PM EST. It is snake format (so at pick #31, that team also picks #32 and so on). Each drafting team has a 2 hour window during this period and that 2 hours rolls over - if your pick comes on the clock at 9 PM, you have until 11 AM the next day to make your choice. If someone fails to draft within that time, their pick is skipped. They will be auto-skipped until they return to make whatever picks are still due of them. You can pick outside of this window as long as it is your pick, but the timer will not be running on anyone. If you know you are unable to be around to make your pick, there are always several people around that you can send a short list of players to and they will pick for you.

4. We will be selecting 23 players and 1 head coach. You need to take at least 12 forwards, 6 defenseman, and 2 goalies. Head coaches can be literally anyone.

EAST TEAMS
Toronto Maple Leafs - eXXon
Ottawa Senators - shyduck
Montreal Canadiens - stab
Buffalo Sabres - Ginette Reno
Boston Bruins - mono
Florida Panthers - Iodised QQ
Tampa Bay Lightning -
Carolina Hurricanes - Duckman2008
Washington Capitals - glynnenstein
New Jersey Devils - fawning deference
Pittsburgh Penguins - kalensc
Philadelphia Flyers - mentholmoose
New York Islanders - Yaya
New York Rangers - WeaponX
Columbus Blue Jackets - CBJSprague24
Detroit Red Wings -

WEST TEAMS
Winnipeg Jets - FBS
Nashville Predators - Technetium
Chicago Blackhawks - MononcQC
St. Louis Blues -
Calgary Flames - El Gallinero Gros
Colorado Avalanche - lazerwolf
Minnesota Wild - Arabian Jesus
Vancouver Canucks - Furnaceface
Edmonton Oilers - Kuule hain nussivan
Anaheim Ducks - JawKnee
Dallas Stars - Starsfan
Los Angeles Kings - Drunk Canuck
San José Sharks - T-Bone
Seattle Kraken - VOTE1
Arizona Coyotes - Good Soldier Svejk
Vegas Golden Knights - tarbrush

Past Drafts
2013: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amj_wGJYwFRYdEtqcm5pTXRlcmY5Mm1CRzE0NC1pVVE&usp=sharing
2014: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18GPrsdczGD_5Ltddnu9_1hi08ICYdqW-VYet7m12gdw/edit#gid=0
2015: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a80PmyvcOnXidTbKzsd0mkxjVKIP1LoiHcXtMuUMKjU/edit#gid=0
2016: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USAL3-EVziJcfWq-CTtAQETjt5AFZCGFXdOc8PpsFR4/edit#gid=0
2017: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HpjAH9GXLGBV_UrSMokwzh1wMwj9gualaX6fvrdyA68/edit
2018: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZXbrSmiLyeQv4HsJ2nYdeQabNxDSUKk2LcMcoL0hsZI/edit#gid=0
2019: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JOZfvDBowWzNLrGsSePJgCSQe9kTj2QQIGHF4JYjWqI/edit?usp=sharing

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zevB6NYOeZ6kQ7d5P9TLM2O7DcmxmJh4QJhDvwhBCIM/edit?usp=sharing

Draft Order:

Arizona Coyotes
Florida Panthers
Dallas Stars
Chicago Blackhawks
Philadelphia Flyers
Vancouver Canucks
Colorado Avalanche
Detroit Red Wings
Nashville Predators
Carolina Hurricanes
New York Islanders
Minnesota Wild
St. Louis Blues
Washington Capitals
Los Angeles Kings
Winnipeg Jets
Toronto Maple Leafs
Edmonton Oilers
Boston Bruins
Ottawa Senators
Anaheim Ducks
Montreal Canadiens
Calgary Flames
New Jersey Devils
Buffalo Sabres
Seattle Kraken
Vegas Golden Knights
New York Rangers
San Jose Sharks
Columbus Blue Jackets
Pittsburgh Penguins
Tampa Bay Lightning

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 30, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Hell yeah, thanks for making the thread. I'm still stuck at work.

Gimme the Jets!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Rangers!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Claiming Carolina Hurricanes

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Flames, son!

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I’m in. Kraken please!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
You know which team is mine

Cup finalists baby...lets draft a team right into the basement :cool:

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

stab posted:

You know which team is mine

Cup finalists baby...lets draft a team right into the basement :cool:

Alright, good luck managing the Leafs.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'll take the Dallas Stars, unless another Stars fan wants to play and have the Stars in which case bump me to whatever :D

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Just looked at the last thread. Wonder who the guy who drafted as the jets was?

This time I’ll try and not make picks based purely on one season of 20% shooting percentages..

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'm still mad about getting swept by a wild card team in the first round

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mentholmoose posted:

Toronto Maple Leafs - eXXon

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Sweet. I'll take the Devils but won't be as intensely consumed by this as usual.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Does anyone know about this thread?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I have ruined the Coyotes multiple times before but this time I feel will be different, sign me up for them

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

We have 10 people onboard. It will be interesting to see who gets picked after McDavid. I probably know #2 as well, but after that it's really all over the place.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fawning deference posted:

We have 10 people onboard. It will be interesting to see who gets picked after McDavid. I probably know #2 as well, but after that it's really all over the place.

I'm expecting even higher center bias and no goalies save for Vasy going for the first 3 rounds

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I AM THE LA KINGS

this time I will not pick Matt Murray as my starting goalie :stare:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Put me in as a possible/maybe for the Vancouver Canucks. I cant guarantee I will pick on time, possibly MIA for days at a time, and be forced to make quick decisions on bad contracts with no thought put into them. If you get more than 32 bump me out, if not, I will be your Jim Benning.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Drunk Canuck posted:

this time I will not pick Matt Murray as my starting goalie :stare:

He'd be a bold choice for a backup.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I'll take the perdators

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

eXXon posted:

He'd be a bold choice for a backup.

I am not willing to discuss draft strategy at this time.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

fawning deference posted:

McDavid didn't go #1 last draft :ssh:

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

stab posted:

McDavid didn't go #1 last draft :ssh:

What? Who did?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Stanley cup champion Vasilevsky did.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Is that serious? I don't remember that but that is insane.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

It was a strong gimmick pick and I commend it

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I'll take the Pens if the OP is up to date

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Can't have your cap tied up in one player no matter how good which is why I'm going to select Chandler Stephenson first overall.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm going Tyler Johnson first round
he's an all-timer

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'll come back after a couple years off to do the Washington Capitals, unless Zodijackylite would like to keep on going with them, in which case I'll pick some other team.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

I can take a non-Atlantic, non-Chicago team. Preference for whichever slot needs to be filled :)

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Arabian Jesus posted:

I can take a non-Atlantic, non-Chicago team. Preference for whichever slot needs to be filled :)

I'll give you the Minnesota Wild for now, if somebody else wants them we'll move you somewhere else.

Over halfway filled now, we'll get more people in soon!

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Can I be Edmonton!? I would love to see if I can make a better (OR WORSE) team than the actual Oilers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
When is the draft ?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Duckman2008 posted:

When is the draft ?

probably as soon as we get a full roster (or close enough) the draft order will be revealed and then they will call the start to the draft in 24 hours notice or w/e. Hard to say when that will be right now but usually when we get closer to a full compliment of goons the last spots fill up quick.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah once we get a full roster I'll come up with a spreadsheet and draft order.

Get more people to sign up soon and we'll get there.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Nobody told me this was up!!!

Islanders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'll take the Sabres. Or whoever.