Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I have not done mafia in forever, I'd be up to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I am bad at solving crimes but I look forward to getting in screaming matches about them over the internet

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

i mean, considering if infintium is not lying.

it is a hell of a fakeclaim if he is: it warns townies off investigating, it allows him to claim a power without making himself a nightkill target, it lets him paint any votes on him as sus, and it's a non-standard role so there's no real worry of counterclaim

is infinitum bold, clever, and handsome enough to pull off such a gambit? I say yes ##vote Infinitum

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

I explained myself in my next post after that.

I am maximising the benefit the role can potentially award town.
If town know not to visit me intentionally, it minimises the amount of visits that have to be explained if/when I flip - increasing the chance my death catches scum.

If I don't inform town and a bunch of people visit me, the list becomes muddied - and awards little benefit to town.

I'm not thrilled by this reasoning. Even for a role-heavy game there's not likely to be that many visits and imo outing a minor power role (docs don't have to worry too much about getting caught by this) in exchange for confirming a scum is probably a good trade.

I think optimal play would have been to keep your mouth shut. This is especially true since a game with observation powers may give scum stealth abilities, so letting them know that you're a priority target for ninja kills makes a potentially useful ability into a liability. But it does still provide excellent cover for scum/third party roles.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
wait is it a list of everybody that visits or just the people that visit that night?

if it's a complete log then the claim makes a little more sense

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
that is, everybody that's ever visited vs. just that night

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

Correct. Everybody that visits.

oh. I misunderstood it as being just the people that visited that night, which would have been a hell of a role to spoil.

still not sure how I feel about a "please do not investigate or vote me" claim though

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
like if that is how the role works, maybe claiming is actually the right move???

although the more I think about it, I think having a long list of visitors probably benefits town more than scum. and having a short list of visitors is great as long as you get NK'd.

so I do think that trying to keep it on the d/l would have probably been better. but that's more of a disagreement on strategy as opposed to "why are you shooting town in the foot"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I think getting confirmed information out generally benefits town and dumping out a whole bunch of it at once minimizes the ability of scum to capitalize on it. out 1 town role and they've got a target on their back, out 5 of them and what are scum gonna do about it??? game is going to be over before they can eliminate all of them.

it does also make it harder to sniff out the scum from the pack but I think with a bunch of semi-confirmed roles in play it would still be a net benefit for town.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I think if Infinitum's scum that would be an incredibly ballsy move to pull right at the start of the game and is more likely to backfire and get attention on him Day 1 while also giving himself an incredibly disposable role, meaning he's putting himself up for first lunch.

So yeah, I'm going to believe the claim because the alternative seems like absolute suicide.

sorry but this seems like a really dumb take and I hate it

otoh it's so dumb that I can't really see a great scum angle on it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

even if there is a ninja here it's still a net-zero gain, not like if he hadn't claimed he would have been better off re: a ninja

not entirely true, now scum know to prioritize ninja'ing him

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sub Rosa posted:

Something here is pinging me. He's effectively VT. Why would he be a priority target? Why "prioritize" ? In case they lose the ninja team member? Not in the nature of ninjas to be easily caught?

Only works out to me if they have like one-shot of Ninja. But that's a weird thing to go to to me? Unless you know that the scum team has limited Ninja access.

if he gets ninja'd then scum get a list of townies with visiting roles (which is good for scum) without implicating any scum (which is good for scum) but also without confirming that the list is town (which is good for scum)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I have been thinking about the implications of the role though and now that I understand that the list covers the entire game I do think that it's probably too risky as a fakeclaim, because while it's great in the short term it means that as the game goes on he accumulates valuable information tied to his flip, turning him into a tempting clue piñata (either he's lying and we get rid of a nontown, or he's telling the truth and we get a ton more info than we would with any other town flip)

##unvote

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think I've been pretty transparent about my thought process re: the vote and the unvote. I stand by my reasoning, despite the initial misconception.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

why waste your time on that?? someone said scum would get a big list of town PRs if they waited, so there's at least some merit for scum to kill Inf, but they wouldn't do that N1, cuz they'd get nothing

Inf's role can do nothing good for scum unless they keep him alive, Inf claiming makes it so if the scum want to risk getting information from their flip, they will likely get nothing

I think getting a big list of roles late in the game is probably not super helpful to scum (but may actually be useful to town.) if scum can ninja then the optimal result for them is probably getting ~2 town roles early enough to do something with that information. so maybe not N1 if they don't think any curious townies are going to snoop, but I can't imagine wanting to wait until endgame to ninja him.

if scum can't ninja (or I guess roleblock, although they've probably got better things to do with that) then they're probably just going to want to avoid Infinitum unless they decide he's lying. but it's a big risk for them, so unless they feel they've already eliminated all the good power roles they'd probably be better off aiming for someone else.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Idle Amalgam posted:

Obviously, Mason Cop Vig

mason sandwolf because his posts seem earnest and not-disingenuous, and also he has the best av

cop snooze cruise actually on reread I'm not sure their post is a problem, so I guess cop circlmastr for low content posting

vig... idk but I keep coming back to this

Toalpaz posted:

One thing I like about your claim is that if you are town you are effectively VT with no benefits for town now so that's good.

Toalpaz posted:

Folks I'm going to 'help' infinitum tonight with a pro town action

i really don't follow this logic. i have no idea how long toalpaz's joke phase runs but individually neither of these make a lot of sense to me and together they seem to contradict each other. i dunno i'm going to have to think about the implications of claiming visits.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
maybe it's a stretch but the scenario that worries me most is if scum have a bunch of non-vanilla roles that let them make non lethal visits, then getting the fingerprints of multiple scum on Infinitum could be really really good for them. idk, maybe that would be too risky though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PlasticAutomaton posted:

If there's one thing I've learned about Toalpaz, it's that they always act in contradictory, scummy-looking ways as town, and everyone just kinda shrugs at it because that's just how Toalpaz is.

how new are you exactly?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bifauxnen posted:

I like the cut of this Poopacy's jib

How about you, you don't seem as new as your VF profile suggests, have you played more outside SA?

I've played a couple here, aliases Gabriel Pope/Straight White Shark (is there a way to put this on VF? I'm too lazy to check)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

what is the contradiction here though?

I just have a hard time squaring "this is basically VT, which makes it believable to me" with "I am semi-outing myself to use a night action on the believable psuedo-VT claim"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
maybe toalpaz has some weird power that makes sense for, though. I can't really see the edge in it for any of the more common roles but I'm not terribly imaginitive at coming up with unique mafia abilities

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bifauxnen posted:

I don't usually get Toal but in this particular case I assumed Toal was joking about planning to 'help' Inf with a pro-town murder

oh. were they also being facetious about a vanilla-ish claim being a good look? it sounded like a seriouspost to me but if Toalpaz doesn't do that sort of thing then both posts make way more sense in hindsight

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Steak posted:

ia subrosa maerlyn

ia/subrosa do seem to be lining up together (almost too well to be scumbuddies although that's getting into WIFOM territory) but why maerlyn in particular, other than the vote on you?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
i am town aligned

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
this is pretty stupid though

(please lie detect this post too)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I'm not really sure I see where you're going with those post connections, Snooze.

But anyways, I'm being set up as the D1sacrifice, so may as well start Ace Defectiving.

Merk dropped the first vote on me with no other words than "this feels fake" and did not bother elaborating and has not been seen since. As hilariously frustrating as that is, that's also something I've seen merk do before, and consistent with previous play.

Gulag followed him onto it, but has since dropped the vote and not really pursued the matter.

Steak, after a very out of character quiet period came back with a few bizarre posts where he starts bouncing around calling people scum and then immediately turning around and starts to say he knows those people are hard town. On day 1.

Okay, cool, it's Steak.

##vote: steak

Infinitum I assume is just poo poo posting?

Mafia edit:

Wait you were serious about a lie detector as an actual thing? :psyduck: This isn't just joke posting?

second mafia edit: Hey Circle, want to explain that vote?

hey, chill

there's like 2 entire days left and you're at -4 to hammer, panic flailing like this doesn't really help you. it is a common newbie thing so not necessarily a scum thing but that excuse only gets you so far.

circlmastr is definitely the worst vote on you by a long shot though, and maybe the worst vote of the game so far

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
it's like midnight and I am all amped up to pore over posts but I should probably get to bed

Sandwolf posted:

Who do ya think is scum and why?

really want to hear circlmastr's answer on this though

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
lie detect it then why don't you

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
mornings are generally slow at work so I will work out my theories then

please do not turbo anyone overnight tia

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

merk posted:

Plastic’s posting looks better now. ##unvote

does it?

I see premature panicking at getting votes, followed by trying to drum up support for voting out Steak right after Steak fingered Plastic, then when that didn't gain any traction Plastic immediately pivots to jump on the CirclMastr bandwagon (making it as big as the bandwagon on Plastic that had them in a panic). Plastic's goal seems to be desperately trying to deflect attention onto one of the people trying to vote them.

and yeah, Plastic made basic cases for their votes but the CirclMastr vote in particular seems like a low effort affair on an easy target. we can read CirclMastr's posts, we know they're wishywashy and low content. there may likely be something going on there, but the timing smacks of opportunism.

maybe that's just newbie play but in my experience scum can get a lot of mileage milking that so I'm not letting Plastic off the hook

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

t a s t e posted:

Somber does interesting stuff with the setups so very possible but I think he’d be explicit about cult mechanics since so many hate them

i have very bad luck with joining games that turn out to have cult mechanics, so with my luck it's probably a cult game

"hey everyone join my new mafia with a cool role-heavy setup (surprise it is a new twist on cults that makes them even worse)"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bifauxnen posted:

Is Circl exempt from mafia newb immunity? I've played with him in a Somber game before, and if his short VF list includes multiple Somber games this suggests he is not a newb but some sort of Mafia hipster.

Ok this is legit a good place to look

##vote Steak

so far Circl seems to be more low content than active sabotage. their mafia persona seems to be sheer anxiety and I feel bad about needling them for it, which means it would be a good dodge for scum. I don't trust it but I'm willing to give them some time, I would prefer to vote for someone who seems to be actively collaborating against town instead of just semi-lurking and not committing to positions.

that said, CirclMastr it would make me happy if you would stake out a firm position on something, anything

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
oh good, I was waiting for idle amalgam to come back

thank you for immediately confirming your scumbuddy, your cooperation is appreciated.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
i apologize for setup spec but i wonder if there are multiple scum factions

amalgam + subrosa are buddying up very tightly and subrosa's obsession with the mason posts reads like someone on a small scum team trying to sniff out other factions

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
setting aside the blatant link between amalgam/subrosa (which, did amalgam just flagrantly distance themselves immediately after getting called out??? really leaning into the "if I were scum I couldn't possibly be this bad" defense) I do think that subrosa is suspicious on their own. they dropped a vote on me early yesterday and then seem to have kind of forgot about it, and in general haven't really been doing much of anything. this is their most substantive post since then and it just goes back and forth and in circles:

Sub Rosa posted:

Sandwolf posted:

Sub Rosa what do you think about Plastic and Circl?
Not much yet but it's D1. Plastic is part of the claimed masonry that I have a twig of paranoia about but if I was going to vig a mason to test that theory I'd probably aim for Bif instead.

I thought Circl's reasoning was jumbled enough that I think Plastic's vote was reasonable, but I do think jumbled reason feels more town than produced reasoning.

CirclMastr posted:

Plastic has been all over the place and flailing after getting some votes is not a good reaction.

This I think is the most indefensible bit in terms of characterization of Plastic, I don't think that is what Plastic is doing. And that is where Circl is voting, so the vote being on Plastic I agree doesn't look great.

very confused about the bolded part. is Circl's jumbled reasoning scummy or not? you seem to be trying to have it both ways.

also I still think it's fair to characterize Plastic's post as flailing. the fact that CirclMastr seems to have latched onto it after I already characterized it as such is suspicious but not the characterization itself.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
also, again, being heavily invested in setup weirdness like masons and changing alignments reads to me as paranoid scum more than town

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CirclMastr posted:

Does this make you paranoid scum?

Frankly I wouldn't call it setup spec to question whether the people who said they were mason buddies were actually claiming or just doing day 1 joke stuff.

I'm only interested in it because subrosa seems to be

on its own the mason thing isn't a big deal but coupled with the cult lie detector it makes me :thunk:

Sub Rosa posted:

I don't know that to be true, but something is pinging me about the mason buddy stuff between Bif and Plastic, and I'm wondering if a cult could be afoot. A lot of OPs specify no alignment changes, but not this one.

like this doesn't even make any sense to me. how do you, as town, get from "this half-joking mason buddy thing is questionable" to cult???

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
secret cult sounds like the most miserable poo poo ever, why would you join a game modded by someone who you earnestly thought might have made a secret cult game

Sub Rosa posted:

I agree that the one post looked like an odd bit of distancing. I would point out the "blatant link" is one way, and I am a little sus that IA could be trying to buddy up to me.

mostly. you did jump on their content game and lined up together on me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Idle Amalgam posted:

Sorry, toal, you're wrong :)

Also it's ##vote IA

get it right!

geesh!

lol just realized that this is an actual vote and it's IA's only vote of the game despite having strong scum reads

I do think it's IA + Sub Rosa

#vote Idle Amalgam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
gah I swear there were two hashtags there

##vote Idle Amalgam