Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

this. i love tribal decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Man I like this game but that new format announcement really turned me off. Might just get me to play on paper but now I'm suspicious that was their plan all along

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

Man I like this game but that new format announcement really turned me off. Might just get me to play on paper but now I'm suspicious that was their plan all along

that new format looks like absolute dookie, i cant believe they thought it ws a good idea

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

Yeah I've been down on Arena lately especially since standard is kind of not fun right now. I started playing Modern at my local game store and it kicks rear end even though I had to lay out some money to build my card collection again. The fact that they're putting the "rebalanced" cards into historic sucks since historic and historic brawl are the most fun formats on Arena

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah I've been down on Arena lately especially since standard is kind of not fun right now. I started playing Modern at my local game store and it kicks rear end even though I had to lay out some money to build my card collection again. The fact that they're putting the "rebalanced" cards into historic sucks since historic and historic brawl are the most fun formats on Arena

yeah im mostly real fuckin worried about historic brawl, most of the alchemy stuff probably wont make it into historic but historic brawl might catch a lot of it. i should just fuckin build a commander deck and play with my friends

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Standard is fail right now.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

standard is fail 80% of the time

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Modern is win, there's a huge variety of decks. Every time I go I play against a different kind of deck every round

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

i'm lucky enough that i have a friend who just wants to play modern with his friends so much that he gifted me a lot of the staples for a Spirit Deck. standard when it's good is my favorite magic but modern is definitely more consistent. i miss Infect, it felt so good when it went off but it's not super competitive anymore. i wish they'd print the lands more often, that's the really the thing that makes it hard to get started.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

i'm lucky enough that i have a friend who just wants to play modern with his friends so much that he gifted me a lot of the staples for a Spirit Deck. standard when it's good is my favorite magic but modern is definitely more consistent. i miss Infect, it felt so good when it went off but it's not super competitive anymore. i wish they'd print the lands more often, that's the really the thing that makes it hard to get started.

Sick! Spirits are cool, infect is definitely still modern viable tbh

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Sick! Spirits are cool, infect is definitely still modern viable tbh

do you have an infect list you like? no worries if not, i just play on untap.in sometimes where money isn't an object, so i could rebuild there. it's probably a good thing they banned gitaxian probe but it hit my infect deck pretty hard.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

do you have an infect list you like? no worries if not, i just play on untap.in sometimes where money isn't an object, so i could rebuild there. it's probably a good thing they banned gitaxian probe but it hit my infect deck pretty hard.

I've never played it myself but here's a list that went 5-0 in a modern league on MTGO

https://mtgdecks.net/Modern/infect-decklist-by-fenruscloud-1247274

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The hardest part about getting into Modern is the mana base, dual lands and especially fetch lands are kinda pricy

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I've never played it myself but here's a list that went 5-0 in a modern league on MTGO

https://mtgdecks.net/Modern/infect-decklist-by-fenruscloud-1247274

sick, thanks. besides the lands and sideboard this is almost affordable. might try it, tweak it and actually get the paper for it. lol at Ignoble Hierarch

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

sick, thanks. besides the lands and sideboard this is almost affordable. might try it, tweak it and actually get the paper for it. lol at Ignoble Hierarch

Ignoble Hierarch kicks rear end. I run him in this wacky Shaman deck that tries to abuse doubling triggers from Harmonic Prodigy

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4120602#paper

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Ignoble Hierarch kicks rear end. I run him in this wacky Shaman deck that tries to abuse doubling triggers from Harmonic Prodigy

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4120602#paper

lol that looks fun. i have a mono-green shaman tribal commander deck that i made sometime back in the stone age that i still pull out every once in awhile. it doesn't win often but it can sort of be a kingmaker because people sleep on it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The last time I played modern I saw a table flipped when someone played a mono blue extra turns deck. Howling mine, walk the aeons, every extra turn card, the wincon is vanilla jace ultimate three times (mill 20 cards). The guy kept audibly saying how many extra turns he was on 'eleven........twelve' and his opponent lost it lol

Edit: he flipped it when the guy said 'better luck next time' while still gaining extra turns, which is now an inside joke when my friends beat each other in friendlies

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mbt posted:

The last time I played modern I saw a table flipped when someone played a mono blue extra turns deck. Howling mine, walk the aeons, every extra turn card, the wincon is vanilla jace ultimate three times (mill 20 cards). The guy kept audibly saying how many extra turns he was on 'eleven........twelve' and his opponent lost it lol

Lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mbt posted:

lmao. blue troll decks ftw.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

OPPONENT: NOOOOO YOU CAN'T JUST TAKE TWELVE EXTRA TURNS AND MILL ME TO DEATH!!!
ME: Haha Jace Beleren machine go brrrr

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

Edit: he flipped it when the guy said 'better luck next time' while still gaining extra turns, which is now an inside joke when my friends beat each other in friendlies

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

OPPONENT: NOOOOO YOU CAN'T JUST TAKE TWELVE EXTRA TURNS AND MILL ME TO DEATH!!!
ME: Haha Jace Beleren machine go brrrr

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mbt posted:

Goldfishing ftw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/dixonij/status/1468978412425400325

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

William F. Buttfuckly, Jr. lmfao

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mbt posted:

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

huh... you're right. infect is still viable.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The hardest part about getting into Modern is the mana base, dual lands and especially fetch lands are kinda pricy

Yeah but the enemy fetch lands are comparatively cheap right now.
Especially marsh flats for some reason.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ggs pablo, that thalia deck is a motherfucker lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

huh... you're right. infect is still viable.

Lmao

teppichporsche posted:

Yeah but the enemy fetch lands are comparatively cheap right now.
Especially marsh flats for some reason.

Yeah since they got reprinted in MH2 they're not nearly as bad. I dunno why marsh flats is so cheap

Fungah! posted:

ggs pablo, that thalia deck is a motherfucker lol

Thanks, she's a real beast to deal with lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mbt posted:

lmfao

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

goferchan posted:

Fungah! posted:

that new format looks like absolute dookie, i cant believe they thought it ws a good idea

whats the format

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

b_d posted:

whats the format

its called alchemy, its arena only. its rebalanced cards from standard (like luminarch aspirant gives counters on the end step, faceless haven is a 3/3 instead of a 4/3, etc.) plus a bunch of those cards that seek and conjure and add perpetually. basically its wacky hearthstone bullshit in mtg. also theres no way to get the cards in bulk like draft, you gotta buy packs so if you want to play it you need to burn tons of wcs, although this first go around they give you the rebalances of cards you have for free. also some of the cards they brought back are miserable, like they redid new omnath for people who didnt get enough of that the first time and some other real miserable poo poo. theyre going to be putting one of these out with every standard set from now on apparently. also all the cards are historic-legal i think

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I don't get it. Why even bother with it?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

all the new cards (not the rebalanced ones, just the actual new cards) are historic legal and even though they probably wont be strong enough to warp the format, if some are theres no way to get them other than burning WCs or buying packs and theres already a huge buy-in to make a historic deck. just a real dumb format decision all around

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i don't care if they want to sell hearthstone under the MTG banner to whatever the audience for that is, but making it legal in historic is a huge mistake. it also feels like an admission that they've hosed up a little too much in standard for the past couple of rotations.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
alchemy seems ok. its a whale format for ppl that already have all the cards and just want to play a standard that keeps getting shifted hard every month or so.

the problem is when it affects other formats, like its doing historic. im not even worried ab them making cards too powerful for historic, but when they nerf cards in alchemy, they nerf them in historic too. so now luminarch aspirant has been nerfed in historic to pay for alchemys sins. thats bs

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They should just have a regular historic and alchemy historic queue. That would make it way less objectionable

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They should just have a regular historic and alchemy historic queue. That would make it way less objectionable

absolutely this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

oh hey its another magic thread. and quickly browsing it its not full of toxic aggro shitheads, cool

I stopped playing Arena for all of 3 or 4 days after the alchemy bullshit but am now back on my bullshit, but sticking mostly to historic brawl. the new alchemy cards have had less of an effect than banning field of the dead. its a fun, nice way to blow off steam for 3-5 minutes at a time.