Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
T.K.
Hot 0 | Cold -1 | Volatile 1 | Dark 1
Harm 0 | Exp 1 | Location: Homeroom

Now the waves they drag you down
Carry you to broken ground
Though I find you in the sand
Wipe you clean with dirty hands

Forget the horror here
Forget the horror here
Leave it all down here
It's future rust and then it's future dust

--

The soft comfort of my hoodie, pulled up like a shelter and letting me listen in peace as the chaos of "the holidays" bears down on the school like a two ton black bear. I regret having the last sips of my coffee at the door. No... I regret not ordering a large. I lean my head back and stare at the checkered tile ceiling for a good minute, pierced by pencils and other projectiles over the years. Swiss cheese keeping us from seeing the rusty pipes and moldy insulation.

A second to think about this morning. Churning waves about some party over at Jeremiah's. I... I don't mind not being invited, I guess. But there's something there, a cold fire. Something my dad would've told me about respect. I'm not a nobody anymore. Maybe I show up anyway? Or maybe he wants me to be there for some reason. I grimace, thinking momentarily back to the party at Chad's. Mordecai...

Yannis lays into the chorus. A hand on my shoulder.

I sigh and brush out an earbud, turning to the offender. A deeper, second grimace. Harmony. Of... course.

I straighten and try to pull my hoodie a bit tighter, but it's not following instructions (or maybe it's had enough of my abuse). The string snaps and sags. Great... now I'll need another. Joanna looks on unfazed, expectantly as if I'm about to pledge my love to her there and then. Seriously girl... get a hobby that isn't me. But I'm not feeling up to a confrontation. And... it's not like the last dozen have helped any. I sigh again before speaking. "Uh... thanks. I'm... fine. Morning, you know?"

Knowing her, that's probably enough to get her rocks off.

quote:

[12:00 AM] TK | Frgrbrgr: !2d6 #hotness for harmony
[12:00 AM]
BOT
DiceParser: hotness for harmony
# 7
Details:[2d6 # (5 2)]

Marking experience.

Choose one: gives herself to me, promises something she thinks I want, gives me a String against her.

Great...

quote:

Name: T. K. Edwards
Skin: Infernal
Look: Distant, Piercing Eyes
Origin: Broken Soul

Stats
Hot 0
Cold -1
Volatile 1
Dark 1

Moves

Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.
Elsewise Power - You can give the dark power a String to use a move you don’t have, just this once. This move can come from any playbook.
Uncanny Voices - You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone you’re talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Unknowable
When you lash out physically against someone, on a 10 up, they lose 1 String on you. On a 7-9, add to your list of options: they lose 1 String on you.

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
T.K.
Harm 0 | Exp 2 | Location: Homeroom

Well, you could definitely cut that entendre with a knife. The look in her eye tells me that she has more in mind than talking. A lot more. But the prospect of a free pass into Jeremiah's party isn't unwelcome.

But owing Joanna something? That would be... terrible. I cock my head at her, "Uhm... I'm actually kinda busy tonight. Those devils aren't going to worship themselves, you know? So... pass."

Not caring to see how she responds (but it's gotta be good, right?), I sink back into my chair and slide the hoodie back on, resuming play.

Hush, let's kick it in to touch
And wash away the sludge that's withering our minds
Words, a message to the world
To let the masses learn that someone holds a light

I fall deeper into the lyrics, tuning out the roar of classroom banter and close my eyes. Yeah, I'm ready for you. Are you ready for me?

quote:

Gazing into the abyss: What can I get out of going to the party?
# 9
Details:[2d6+1 # (5 3)]

Marking experience

The visions are confusing and alarming.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
T.K., Infernal Extraordinaire

The vision comes in step with the music, a beating bass artery in lockstep with the chants and shouts of a roaring party. There's a certain kind of isolation that being surrounded brings - and this is my loving jam. Blurred faces, alcohol flowing freely. This could be my kingdom, mine, no Russ involved. Empire of the burnouts. But is that what I really want?

A sudden shot of clarity brings Joanna to my arm and an undercurrent of something more sinister. Blood, tears, sweat, an outburst of emotion. Something raw and unreal. Something that smells like Russ. Wait... how can anything smell like him?

Before I can answer, the shroud is lifted and it's Joanna in my ear again, the soft churn of classroom hubbubs. I... I can't help myself. I open one eye and fix her with a piercing stare, "Yes, actually, I am." I raise my eyebrows, "And they say I should go to the party! Maybe you should be listening to them too!"

With a chuckle, I spin out of my chair and wander towards the back of the classroom, grabbing my water bottle out of my backpack and taking a short swig as I survey the room. I'm closest to Alanis, currently being spun a bit of a tale by Mordecai. Who clearly didn't learn his lesson from Chad but whatever not my problem. I'm content to just observe for now.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Joanna is now following me and I'm done. I fix her with a cold stare. "No. Leave me alone."

quote:

shut down Joanna
# 4
Details:[2d6-1 # (3 2)]

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Well, at least Joanna is dealt with for now. Can almost guarantee it'll be a bigger problem later. But by that logic, what isn't?

I sink further into the wall. Marko is going for broke with Maria and Billy from the looks of things... he's been nice to me recently if a bit judgmental. I guess I could step in if things go downhill. But before any of that...

Alanis sizes me up and I can tell she wants to ask more than she lets on. She definitely wants to know what I've been up to... but nobody would understand Russ. I shrug off the thought and turn towards Alanis to respond with as charming a smile as I can muster. "Why, would you like to be one of my late-night liaisons again?"

quote:

turn on Alanis
# 4
Details:[2d6 # (2 2)]

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Alanis isn't buying it, in fact she serves it right back to me on a silver platter. I grimace a bit internally - she's still holding that tagging stuff against me. It isn't hard to read this as a threat. "Whoa," I blurt, then add with a shrug, "Message received. You do you, Winthrop."

Despite the cool facade, internally it's a struggle. I'm gonna need to find some dirt on her, and fast. With one earbud in, I quickly change tracks. Russ tends to respond faster to... certain music.

No one asks me for dances because I only know how to flail
I always hit like I'm drowning, dead arms around him
I'd rather stand still
Hold tightly to the walls

I communicate in our secret way while I study Alanis' face. Give me something here... something I can use against her.

quote:

Using Uncanny Voices - Giving Russ a String in order to realize a secret about Alanis. Alanis will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 12, 2021

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Harm 0 | Exp 2 | Location: Homeroom | Conditions: Creep

A cold chill runs through me at the whispers coming from Russ. There's a lot more going on with her than she lets on. Poster-girl of family power, she's always seemed a little above everybody else at school, though not unafraid to speak her mind. I guess everybody has their demons...

I almost start to empathize with her, but then she hits me with another piercing cutdown and I can tell she's done with me... hopefully for good. I shrug it off as best I can and turn away, heading back to my seat and ruminate, buried in the music of the moment...

I don't care, I don't care anymore
I don't care, I don't care

quote:

gazing about grampa winthrop - Is he a threat to me?
# 4
Details:[2d6+1 # (1 2)]

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 13, 2021

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

The music rolls over me like waves but it fades quickly, as Russ makes his presence known. His knowledge of the Winthrops is surprising... and a little ominous. Is there history there? There's certainly a future. I glance back at Alanis for a quick second, watching as she pesters Mordecai. A perfectly unpleasant person to be around. I'll probably be seeing a lot more of her. Sigh...

I notice Joanna staring and pause to think. With the way things are going, a smooth entry to the party wouldn't be bad. She's seemed willing all morning to get me an invite, but I probably haven't helped by muddying the waters with my usual schtick. Maybe this is a good way to solve two problems at once...

I lean towards her, "Hey, if you still could, an invite to Jeremiah's would be cool. There's a girl that'll be there that I want to get to know better."

quote:

manipulate joanna
# 6
Details:[2d6 # (3 3)]

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

With nowhere left to turn, I just roll my eyes and sink down deeper into my chair. This is the worst. Not only does Joanna seem to think she owns me now, but Alanis is probably going to stake me to a tree later tonight and burn me to appease her grandfather or something. Which, in some contexts, would probably be better than spending more time with Joanna. Still... is this really what I want right now? What I need? Wasn't Russ supposed to... make my life easier? Why am I even doing this stuff? These parties mean nothing...

I pull my hand up into my chest, pressing my palm in to settle my thoughts. I miss Jack. The thought drenches me like a raincloud. I miss... everything about my life, before he had to go and...

My playlist changes.

Why am I a stranger
Lost in the familiar
Will I ever know?

Running with my eyes closed
Hunted by the shadows
Will they ever go?

I’m afraid
That I’m miles away from yesterday
And I’m alone

Till I see you again

There's no easy way forward. But there hasn't been for a long time. Russ or not. Joanna or not. Alanis or Jeremiah or Mordecai or any of them. I'm still here. And I'm not going to let that change.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I'm telling you a story now
Of something that's wrong
This has been developing
Since 1981

The discordant ringing of the school bell signals the end of the day and accordingly we file out of the classrooms like locusts seeking a new field to devour. The collective buzzing drones through the hallways and spills out onto the front lawn of the high school, an unkempt parking lot, flipped bike stands, and the scattered circles of students waiting to leave, waiting for a pick up, waiting for anything really. The few with their own means leave while the rest of us.

Well, the rest of us includes me and Joanna so I should have figured what would happen next.

She's so... insistent. In a bad way. But a small part of me is in awe. The kind of stubbornness to push through and get your way. It violates everything about consent rules I believe in but... if I had even an ounce of that, maybe things would be different. Maybe I wouldn't need Russ. Maybe I wouldn't be such a loser. Maybe.

I give her a halfhearted wave and turn to look back at the school, hoping that she leaves without running me over (A boy can hope, right?) Instead, I see as Ariana makes a brief exit from the school, only to be pushed back in by Billy and his goons. Not good. I'm not super fond of Ariana, but she did help me out with that history exam. Intrigued, and a little concerned, I sneak around the side of the building to spy on what might be going on inside the classroom.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I watch Billy shouting at Ariana, it's a little hard to hear but clearly he's trying to intimidate her. Ariana is having none of it and immediately makes a fist and smashes it into Billy's face as hard as she can. I make sure I'm still pretty out of sight, but quickly whip out my phone and start recording. Hopefully Billy hits her back and we can blackmail him into the sun.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Yeah, Ariana is about to get beat the hell up. Yeah, I should do something about it, right? Even if it means Billy adds me to the long list of people he's smashed his fist into. I grimace at the thought. Still... Ariana is looking scared as hell. Sure, she hit him first but it's his goons that dragged her in there. She's brave as hell, even if it means getting hit. I wonder... could I be like that? I wasn't, back when... But I've changed since then. I'm older now. Smarter, stronger, blah. Plus, I add as I clench my phone tightly...

I'm not alone...

I suddenly shout, loud enough to interrupt the boys. "Hey Billy! Smile for the camera! I'm sure your parole officer would love too see this one!"

quote:

shut down billy clown
# 5
Details:[2d6-1 # (1 5)]

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Harm 0 | Exp 2 | Location: Pain Zone | Conditions: Creep

Man, I really hosed up, I think briefly as Thomas leaps through the window and tackles me to the ground. As he wrestles with me, I can see Ariana getting beaten hard inside. And then it happens.

Thomas finally gets my phone out of my hand and bashes it on the ground. The music in my ears stops harshly mid-crescendo. The unfamiliar beep of the Bluetooth disconnecting. Russ...

Rage overtakes me and before I know it, I've grabbed Thomas' head and am bashing it as hard as I can into the pavement.

quote:

lash out at Thomas
# 12
Details:[2d6+1 # (5 6)]

You gain 1 String on them

"gently caress! YOU!" I scream.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 2, 2021

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I'm not gonna lie, the feel of bashing Thomas' head against the concrete feels good and a small part of me feels a bit less bad about losing my phone. Still, the steady background noise of reality, unbroken by my beats, hurts like a missing limb and everything is a bit numb right now and I'm probably not making the best decisions. I glance inside and Billy is really doing a number on Ariana - I've got to get her out of there, and there's only really one way to do that without trying to fight them all by myself.

I sigh, then reach down past the flailing Thomas and grab his shirt by the collar, lifting him up so his squad can see. "Hey Billy!" I shout, loud enough to break through the jeers, "Let her go or bright eyes here is gonna be missing the next few Proud Boys meetups!"

quote:

Manipulate Billy
# 9
Details:[2d6 # (5 4)]

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

"Fine," I nod, tossing the shards at him and letting go of Thomas. "Get out of here."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I watch as Thomas clambers back into the classroom. Inside, Ariana flails at Billy and he reacts by hitting her again, as her goons pile on some more. That wasn't the loving deal, I glower as Billy stuffs the remains of my phone into his pockets. My anger bubbles up again, this time renewed as if a tide was pulling me in towards it. In a split-second, rage and a cool, crisp sharpness enters into me along that tide - a sudden image of me walking over to Billy and just destroying him. The sound of waves fills my ears, and far off in the distance I can hear... Jack? Russ? I can't tell the difference anymore, but it doesn't matter. They whisper of violence and revenge. All I can see is Billy's vile face, and my clenched fist that wants to make it bloody.

quote:

smash Billy
# 8
Details:[2d6+1 # (4 3)]
1 Harm to Billy, he can Harm me for free

I climb over the window behind Thomas and shove him to the side as I charge at Billy, fist raised, and bring it down with as much force as I can.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Harm 1 | Exp 3 | Location: Pain Zone | Conditions: Creep

quote:

Did not remember to mark exp from the manipulate roll, corrected now

I can tell Billy is basically at his limit, and Ariana's words seal the deal. I push him off me lightly, "Just loving go, dude," I say with a nod to Ariana.

quote:

Promising not to fight Billy... at least until she wants me to again

I look down at the bloody girl I did all this for and take a second to think. Sure, I owed her for that homework stuff but... drat, this got way intense way too loving fast. Billy and his goon squad clearly have some serious issues that'll take more than just a trip to the school counselor to fix. At least this'll give Billy a good reason not to lay his drat hands on Ariana... or me for that matter. Still, these guys could've really hurt her, and, despite her... sensual... squirming, even I can tell she's gonna need some serious first aid. I growl at the goons still holding her down, "It's over, dumbasses, let her go already."

I reach out a hand to help her up to her feet, while I sweep my other hand through my hair absentmindedly. gently caress, I think I almost broke my hand...

quote:

turn on Ariana
# 6
Details:[2d6 # (2 4)]

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Harm 1 | Exp 4 | Location: Pain Zone | Conditions:

As the last of the boys leave, I slump into the nearest chair and take a deep breath. That got... really out of control, like very quickly. And all for somebody that, honestly, I don't know all that much about. Sure, Ariana helped me out a few times with my homework - and let's be honest, she's really beautiful when she's not picking fights - but was this all worth it?

I study the girl coolly as she dusts herself off. Something about her is so vexing and difficult to pinpoint. Why is she always fighting like this? I feel the pain in my neck, the beating of my heart. Beating like a drum. And it overwhelms me.

quote:

gaze about ariana
# 10
Details:[2d6+1 # (5 4)]
marking experience
Visions are lucid and detailed (Why does Ariana fight?)
Visions cure you, removing a Condition (Creep)

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Ariana... independent, strong, in over her head in the beast known as Winthrop. She's alone here... even more so than me. She's never fit in here and people like Billy are sure to make sure it stays that way. Not that she knows how to rely on anybody.
She's a lot like me, in that way. Only, I can rely on...

Ariana shakes me from the vision, snapping her fingers like a snare of clarity. I blink my eyes. "Uh... yeah, fine enough. You..." I pause, surveying the mess of first aid kit unpacking on the desk next to me. "...You're used to this, huh," I finish with a chuckle. I take a brief look out the window... parking lot's pretty much empty and the goons are probably halfway to their halfway home by now.

"We should get out of here before the janitors sweep through and see the mess." I pause, considering her predicament. Alone. "My house is pretty close to here and my mom's out of town for a while. You wanna go there and finish patching up?" I pause again, remembering everything today before this dust-up. "Oh gently caress... the party..."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

She accepts, a bit more readily than I would have expected, but then again she does look like she's about to pass out and need a trip to the ER. I give her a nod at the thanks. "Yeah, well you did get me out of having to re-take History. Plus... I hate guys like Billy. Ends up in a trailer home he paid for by selling Vicodin, but does a lot of damage on his way out."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Hot 0 | Cold 0 | Volatile 1 | Dark 1
Harm 1 | Exp 5 | Location: Party Zone | Conditions:

Well... that suuuuucked.

The look on Joanna's face. The fact that I forgot she was coming over. Ariana having no warning of what she was walking into. I'd fight with Billy a million times before having to go through that again.

But it's over now, I nod quietly to myself. I flip the ancient mp3 player in my hand over with my thumb, eager to wheel up the volume but knowing I shouldn't. So for now, it's barely audible, just a whisper that I'm hoping to catch some of him through.

I'm tired of chasing after you
The residue is jealous,
See me on the dark side of your mind,
To a club that's pounding in the London rain,
The world could end and we won't hear it.
I know just what's on your mind,

I see the way your face has changed,
We're no good for each other

I wave at Ariana as she takes off, her phone's been blowing up all afternoon and she's probably got some bigger fish to fry than hanging out with me. Still, it was nice spending some time together and getting to know her a little bit better. At least my back hurts a lot less thanks to the painkillers. She disappears quickly into the crowd.

Which leaves me with Joanna. I cough awkwardly, then turn to her slowly. That look on her face tells me exactly what she's thinking. "Look, Joanna, like I said earlier, Billy attacked Ariana and I defended her. Nothing happened. She just needed some fresh air."

Wait a minute. I shake my head, "And... we're not together. I said I'm coming to the party to make some new friends. I appreciate the ride. And the dinner that you brought. That we ended up sharing with Ariana. And we can hang out for a.... for a little bit, okay? But we... are friends." I realize at this point that I'm waving my hands around wildly and stow them by my sides. Dear Satan, I hope that got through to her.

Something tells me it didn't.

quote:

turn on Joanna
# 11
Details:[2d6 # (6 5)]

marking experience and advancing!
+1 Cold from here on
String on Joanna!

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Harm 1 | Exp 0 | Location: Party Zone | Conditions:

God, it's like talking to a literal cinder block. At this point, all I can do is shake my head, "Yeah.... friends..." I blink and kick open the car door, jetting towards the house party as fast as I can, Joanna stuck tight in my wake. I hit the party then hit the bar, grabbing a cup of mystery juice (very Jeremiah) and pass one to Joanna, not bothering to check if she wants it. "I, uh, gotta pee," I say to her over the music, then slither my way through the crowd to a thankfully empty bathroom - too early in the party to have a line.

I slam the door and lock it behind me, then crank up the volume on my mp3 player.

Hand over my mouth I'm earning the right to my silence
In quiet discerning between ego and timing
Good judgement is once again proving to me that it's
Still worth it's weight in gold

So from now on I'm gonna be so much more wary
When you start to speak and my warm blood starts to boil
That seeing you is like pulling teeth
And hearing your voice is like chewing tin foil

Talk to me. Talk to me. Talk to me! I loving need you, please, tell me something, anything. RUSS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Harm 1 | Exp 0 | Location: Party Zone | Conditions:

I pause cold as Russ finally speaks. It's been only a few hours, but it feels like weeks without his calming voice in the background. I can feel the knot of tension unwind itself within me, a sigh of relief that extends up through my body. I'm not alone.

My vision suddenly sharpens, the room stops spinning as everything feels more in focus. The cool sink being gripped by my hands, the thumps and beats coming through the door. The world feels right again.

Wonder why I'm so caught of guard when we kiss.
Rather live my life in regret then do this.
What happened to the love we both knew?
We both chased.
Hanging on a cigarette you need me,
you burn me you'll burn me.

Staring at myself in the mirror, I nod. A plan. A way out. Russ has my back, has always had my back. "Tonight. Barn. Got it," I chant under my breath, barely audible over the music. I splash some water on my face, then head back out through the door. If Joanna stays out of my way, then nothing bad happens to her. But if she crosses me, well, then she crosses him. Her own drat fault. All of it.

I bust out the door and survey the battlefield. A mob has formed around the speakers, swaying and sweating profusely to some lovely pop music. I tick up my own jams a notch. Elsewhere, drinking games, makeout sessions, even some actual conversations. No Alanis. gently caress. I grab a mixed drink laying abandoned on a nearby coffee table, then head over to Ariana, hanging out with Marko in the corner. At least I can hopefully wait out the time until she gets here by spending time with people that actually don't suck. I nod to them as I approach, "Sup?"