Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
20. Heathers
A dark comedy / satire that made me laugh alot. This is the show that easily pushed game of thrones off my top 20 list.
19. Witcher.
Well made low fantasy genre trash. I love genre trash, and I love well crafted shows, and the Witcher is well crafted genre trash.
18. Mr Robot.
The direction in this show owns, the menace of the flickering lights in season 2 as blackouts roll across towns. Amazing. It Borders on copaganda occasionally though.
17. Spartacus.
Well made action genre trash. The wierd half literary half sweary way all the characters talk is really really really fun.
16. Blood Drive
Sitting right next to Spartacus, this absolutely loving wild grindhouse TV show has every episode explore a new grindhouse plotline or aesthetic. It's low, low art, but its made with a clear love of the genre, and its creative, and funny. gently caress IN CAR. gently caress IN CAR. gently caress IN CAR.
15. The Magicians.
It was consistently fun fantasy, and on top of that had some genuinely moving stuff.
14. Dispatches from elsewhere.
Arthouse TV. I had a good time. Kinda don't want to spoil the magic by talking too much about it. The show is mentally slotted into a corner with Mr. Robot and Twin peaks.
13. Patriot
I like extremely funny satire. Patriot sinks its sharpened teeth into US espionage. It's great.
12. Russian Doll
It's well made genre trash. The characters are excellent. The plotting is gripping. I won't spoil it, but their is cool poo poo that I don't want to spoil.
11. Sex House
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYO1hZKzisLbJGPX8gXmtGrygKE6WRw95
A scathing satire of reality tv that descends into a hilarious horror story? Yes. Yes. Yes.
10. Succession
It's a very funny drama comedy. People talk about the writing or the acting, but shoutout to the banger direction. Their are some really good shots in this.
9. Adventure Time
This show makes it onto the list for two reason: the highly episodic weird arthouse episodes it put out in its middle seasons, and how easy it is to put this show on for rewatch with groups.
8. Sense8
A modern day soft sci-fi thriller. Netflix threw money at a wachowski sister and a great show came out.
7. Avenue 5.
Masqurading as a goofy comedy, this understated hard sci-fi satire horror is GRIPPING.
6. It's always sunny in philedelphia
Consistently funny comedy. What really elevates the show is the slow inexorable descent of the cast as they wallow in self-inflicted misery.
5. Nathan For You
Takes the format of Borat and just hits the ground running with episodes that are completely hilarious and genuinely interesting and provocative.
4. Twin Peaks S3
The direction in this show owns bones. It's funny and dramatic and scary and wierd. as. gently caress. S1 and 2 were good watches, but S3 is a masterpiece.
3. Venture bros
Venture bros starts as extremely watchable slurried pastiche of a bunch of different comic books, and then goes off and becomes one of my favorite shows. What sets it so high up on the list is how many times I've rewatched this show and thoroughly enjoyed it.
2. American Vandal
An interesting satire of true crime journalism. Essential TV.
1. The Eric Andre Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G6RF5ChKYQ
I have intensely mixed feelings about this show. The production seems unethical, with how they violate the boundaries of the guests / people they prank (complicated by the show deliberately obscuring what parts are "real" and what parts are staged). That said, the finished show is vitally important surrealist tv. It captures the experience of been in public and having wild poo poo go down around you. It has an episode more ambitious than david lynch spending 20 minutes zooming into a nuclear explosion. It has some banger jokes.

Honorable mention: Sonny Boy
This anime comes from that wave of animated media produced by people who liked the direction in twin peaks, which heavily influenced wierd as gently caress shows like revolutionary girl utena. Sonny boy is AMAZING. I prefer the direction in this to twin peaks. This is better than twin peaks S3. Hands down, fantastic. It would be easily be my number 1 show on this list if it wasn't released in 2021.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Rarity posted:

I'm so glad it's not just me voting for Sex House

Sex house is so good.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

BSam posted:

{amazing post}

1 powers

probably the best superhero show of all time. i wish it was part of the mcu

This hilarious shitpost made me laugh out loud multiple times. The punchline "I wish it was a part of the mcu" is perfect. Thank you for posting this.

Enjoying all the serious lists as well.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

BSam posted:

A fair comment, I have edited to fix that.

Perfect edit.