Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Looks like Officer Deputy lost his head in the moment.

EDIT: Update on previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I was wondering why it took this long for the cops to investigate but Jack and Lucas do mention it's not the first time the cops have visited and I also imagine cops vanishing would raise the alarm.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

[Leg]

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bacchante posted:

Insert joke about the only black cop in Louisiana here.

Amusingly I saw all of RE8 before knowing anything about this game thanks to your pal and mine CJacobs. Looking forward to getting yet another perspective on what really seems to be a phenomenally well-made horror title (especially because I am a huge wuss who cannot play horror games).

The theme/coolness peters a bit off after the start, but the first part is top notch.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Being a little skeptical of the way Ethan is coming on is one thing but "people are trying to kill me!" from a guy who might be one of the missing persons reported should have got Officer Deputy calling for backup just in case. And why the hell would he give Ethan a knife if he thinks Ethan is the reason everyone went missing before meeting him in an enclosed space?? Does he think he's an Old West gunslinger who'll be able to shoot Ethan down before Ethan can close any distance for a good stabbing?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Being a little skeptical of the way Ethan is coming on is one thing but "people are trying to kill me!" from a guy who might be one of the missing persons reported should have got Officer Deputy calling for backup just in case. And why the hell would he give Ethan a knife if he thinks Ethan is the reason everyone went missing before meeting him in an enclosed space?? Does he think he's an Old West gunslinger who'll be able to shoot Ethan down before Ethan can close any distance for a good stabbing?

Officer Deputy clearly never watched Surviving Edged Weapons at the police academy. PICTURED: Ethan Winters adopting his block stance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcSeTaW0shU&t=1469s
(timestamp @ 24:30)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://i.imgur.com/bOegMp2.mp4

I'M COMIN' FOR YOU, JACK BAKER!!!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I can't believe you'd just reveal my pre-recording warm ups like this

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Honestly a louisiana cop deciding to just toss weapons around instead of doing anything useful is the most realistic part of the game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

some plague rats posted:

Honestly a louisiana cop deciding to just toss weapons around instead of doing anything useful is the most realistic part of the game

I've changed my theory. He didn't give Ethan the gun because he only had the one on him, and that's very selfish of Ethan to ask a man for his only currently possessed firearm. He doesn't get the local culture at all

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

I've changed my theory. He didn't give Ethan the gun because he only had the one on him, and that's very selfish of Ethan to ask a man for his only currently possessed firearm. He doesn't get the local culture at all

It's part of the local culture to kill everyone you encounter with sick rear end quick draw techniques, he gave Ethan a knife so no one would ask questions afterwards

I learned everything I know about southern policing from watching Justified

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Incidentally, it's a fools errand to try and figure out RE continuity, but it's real weird that this one cop came to the creepy swamp mansion alone to investigate all these missing people when you consider that horrible virus monsters are a known quantity and regularly destroy entire cities? Personally I'd be calling in the BSAA every time someone dropped their keys

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

some plague rats posted:

Incidentally, it's a fools errand to try and figure out RE continuity, but it's real weird that this one cop came to the creepy swamp mansion alone to investigate all these missing people when you consider that horrible virus monsters are a known quantity and regularly destroy entire cities? Personally I'd be calling in the BSAA every time someone dropped their keys

Nah, see if it was horrible virus monsters there'd be some guy in a trenchcoat skulking around trying to chew the scenery or otherwise being plainly villainous, or there'd be a town of people that just suddenly stopped communicating with everyone where any curious types/delivery people/etc also incidentally vanished. This is relatively subtle and small scale, it's got to just be a normal serial killer or idiots getting lost in the swamp.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

After the 35th pizza delivery boy vanished only then was Officer Deputy dispatched.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

some plague rats posted:

i regret to inform you that the north american police institution have not learned anything since 1998 but you may already be aware of that

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

This is relatively subtle and small scale, it's got to just be a normal serial killer or idiots getting lost in the swamp.

Just like it was in the Arklay Mountains! Come on, people!

CJacobs posted:

i regret to inform you that the north american police institution have not learned anything since 1998 but you may already be aware of that

Leon really should have written a book or something after racoon city instead of running off to hang out with the president

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Speaking of, I don't know if it's spoilers to talk about the hour long demo/the first video cassette playthrough, but a question - During that sequence, is it ever possible to scoot past the third guy before he sneaks off on his own, or is that kind of on the rails? I mean near the start, you open the pot of "food", the host is being a shitheel, and third guy wanders off, and as we see, dies. Presumably he goes off to the living room, pulls the chain in the fireplace, finds the secret tunnel goes down the ladder, and then gets impaled on the spike by Jack. Can you follow him instead of waiting on host guy?

It's been a while since I played but iirc you can see him go off but there's a "invisible wall" since the host is standing directly in your way so you can't go until the host notices.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah sadly if you run in front of Pete and ignore his artistic framing there is a big dumb non-diagetic invisible wall keeping Clancy from following Andre. I think there's a Boundary Break video about it and he just blinks on out of existence when he's out of sight. Which honestly would have been a better fate for him!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

some plague rats posted:

Leon really should have written a book or something after racoon city instead of running off to hang out with the president

Based on what we know from later games and material, Leon would probably have been blackbagged if he spoke about it, RE6 shows you what happened when the President tried to go public.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Judge Tesla posted:

Based on what we know from later games and material, Leon would probably have been blackbagged if he spoke about it, RE6 shows you what happened when the President tried to go public.

What, they had him befriend Leon S Kennedy?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Honestly though, this isn't the first time a Kennedy's ill-invented reputation has gotten the president killed so you'd think they'd have have seen it coming.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Honestly though, this isn't the first time a Kennedy's ill-invented reputation has gotten the president killed so you'd think they'd have have seen it coming.

:golfclap:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Did you know this game originally had multiple uses for the codex, by the way? I wasn't gonna mention it until later but I accidentally hinted at it when Zoe was stapling it on so I guess I'll just show my hand. Modding the RE engine is actually quite easy (there are many mods for RE2/3Make that do exactly what you think they do, yes.) so I've plumbed the game files in my spare time and found a loading screen from the console version that went unused. It's in 1080p too!

(full size)

And to boot I managed to find the unmodified version, looks like they just took a real picture of some dev and added a filter to it. It seems Ethan originally had diabetes and I guess that's the ORIGINAL reason why the screen edges get all blurry and chromatic aberration-y. I wonder if the reason you can eat herbs raw is because that's how you managed it and the codex was like an inventory item or something. Neat! I wonder if there are any other cut concepts like that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 8, 2021

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Can you mod the game to make Ethan shoot a laser out of his watch like in Goldeneye?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Yup, the only reason Leon even got a job with the DSO was because Adam Benford (the aforementioned President, then a government agent in 1998) pulled some strings to recruit Leon. Otherwise, it's highly likely that Leon would have been in a similar situation that Sherry was until RE6, under 24/7 government protection/surveillance for the rest of his life.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CJacobs posted:

Did you know this game originally had multiple uses for the codex, by the way? I wasn't gonna mention it until later but I accidentally hinted at it when Zoe was stapling it on so I guess I'll just show my hand. Modding the RE engine is actually quite easy (there are many mods for RE2/3Make that do exactly what you think they do, yes.) so I've plumbed the game files in my spare time and found a loading screen from the console version that went unused. It's in 1080p too!

(full size)

And to boot I managed to find the unmodified version, looks like they just took a real picture of some dev and added a filter to it. It seems Ethan originally had diabetes and I guess that's the ORIGINAL reason why the screen edges get all blurry and chromatic aberration-y. I wonder if the reason you can eat herbs raw is because that's how you managed it and the codex was like an inventory item or something. Neat! I wonder if there are any other cut concepts like that.

That's really neat.

I started typing up a question about how that could tie in to all the rotted food that seems to be lying around everywhere, but I just started to make myself sick, plus it would not make any sense.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Judge Tesla posted:

Can you mod the game to make Ethan shoot a laser out of his watch like in Goldeneye?

Ethan turns it on and immediately cuts his other hand off

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Jack is familiar with narrative beats, and he knows he has to wait to regenerate the rest of his head until he's found Ethan so he can demonstrate how his powers work.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

You'd think a house with narrow corridors it would be near impossible to escape from Jack but he's surprisingly easy to lose, I'm not too sure if he reacts to noise/gunshots like Mr X does but there's also nothing to shoot besides him.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the C stands for Csissorhands

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Like with Mr X, if you know what you are doing you can really reduce the amount of time you spend with Jack, finding the basement dog head when he's monologuing to the dead Officer Deputy removes him from the upper house so you can freely roam around looking for items.

Madhouse mode might do something different though, I was never good enough to get past Mia on that mode!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That big room with all the molded has a trap (as does the basement as a whole, but the big room is the easiest to trigger it) that is really easy to fall into.

If you move too far away, any un-killed Molded despawn and will come back at full health when you go back in, wasting any ammo you've spent on them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, now that it's happened, I can post my favorite piece of promotional art!

Look at him! He's having such a good ol time!

edit: And speaking of Officer Deputy's brave last stand, they did actually model the Garage during that very brief shot we got of the front of the Main House which is neat. We really aren't going to see it from the front ever again which is a shame because it looks cool and evil as hell.

In fact the entire front of the house is modeled, including the paved-over door that now leads to the shotgun statue room. That hallway that's blocked with furniture next to the Ox Statue door is that wild rear end underhang next to the main entrance.

The garage door is around the left hand corner, very top left of the second pic. Sadly it would have led Ethan directly to freedom! This means also that Officer Deputy somehow got his squad car through the gate, probably cut the chain. They even included the upper part of the garage Ethan climbs up to as a separate roof! Full gallery with many other angles here.

The main house was modeled in the real rear end world for the collector's edition of the game and you can indeed see that they just paved over the front door with the wall of the shotgun room.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 16, 2021

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

:raise: you showed off Ethan's leg getting cut off, is there some time travel shenanigans afoot here?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

:raise: you showed off Ethan's leg getting cut off, is there some time travel shenanigans afoot here?

The original cut of episode 2 was like 3-4 minutes shorter and a few days before the LP went live I decided "y'know what, I've got a save file before some stuff in the early game, let me go ahead and record some stuff and figure out how to stitch it in later." :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
zoe came in and stapled the footage on after chaos argate cut it out of another recording

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

CJacobs posted:

zoe came in and stapled the footage on after chaos argate cut it out of another recording

would you say she gave us a hand