Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Have you guys thought about how loving strange people have gotten since the vaccines came out

Like, during the holiday wave people just defied good judgment by getting together, and then they did their little intubation thing and died. Ever since the vaccines came out though, the conspiracy theories and alternative medicines have gotten more and more outrageous. The arrival of an effective treatment just broke their brains. It's weird

Casey Finnigan posted:

I think the delta resurgence after the "end" of the alpha wave and the lovely conflicting guidance from the government is what is driving people extra insane this time
It's been touched on previously in this thread or related ones, but conspiracy theories are about providing simple answers when people feel overwhelmed by complexity, nuance, and uncertainty. Essentially, the world not operating in a predictable way, especially if it conflicts with their expectations. The things Casey notes feed directly into that chuds and libs alike so it's understandable that they'd fall into their respective horse paste/open Biden rabbit holes in greater numbers.

Even the availability of a vaccine can feed into that because it's not a complete solution and the reasons for that are complicated and the information available is inconsistent so it pulls all those triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

mystes posted:

Just got my booster (Moderna) 6 months and four days after my second dose of Pfizer.
Same, but Jesus Christ it was annoying how many people at the doctor's office were struggling with the basic concept of social distancing even with the wealth of reminder signs on the floors and walls. The lady in line behind me kept sidling up so close that I was having flashbacks to that Charlie Sheen one-liner in Navy SEALS, "If I was any closer, I'd be inside him." I didn't say anything since the line was moving quick enough that it didn't much matter and there were about a hundred people inside a relatively confined space anyway so an extra 6 feet between me and one other person probably wasn't going to make a difference anyway. Just glad I wore my N95 and at least people weren't walking around maskless or dicknosing it like half the people I see at the store when grocery shopping these days.

I'm love thinking about that quote from some rear end in a top hat pundit a few months back that they weren't worried about the challenges of climate change after seeing how capably we responded to COVID as a society.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

I got hit pretty hard with the Moderna booster and anecdotally a know a lot more people who got completely laid out for one or sometimes two full days.
Same for both my wife and I after getting the Moderna booster (got Pfizer for the original shots). Didn't feel ill, just sleepy and brain-fogged as gently caress for the next two days.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

facetoucher cat posted:

I'm not negating the vax nor what you're feeling but having the booster does not make me feel protected in the slightest. My brain is definitely broken tho
I think there's value in treating the vax like the seatbelt in your car -- something you definitely should use but with the understanding that it's only a backup to help possibly keep you alive if all of the other precautions you should be taking to avoid an accident/infection fail.

It's easy to feel to feel like your brain is broken when there's , oh, for example, unintentional gaslighting like family members who genuinely don't understand why I'm not willing to go dining out once the two-week timeframe from getting the booster passes. Goddammit I'm already prone to respiratory infections this time of year thanks to my lovely allergies, I'm sure as poo poo not going to risk dancing with the Reaper 'cause you got a hankering for the soft-serve ice cream at the nearby Chinese buffet.

mastershakeman posted:

A poster here said Republicans will call are calling the dead bodies weak and Democrats will call are calling the dead bodies Republican and it's absolutely what will happen is already happening.
Updated that for you. :(

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Having a bit of a crack ping right now at the remote meeting for my team at work, reading this thread while the rest of my team talks about how they're flying to visit family for the holidays and going out to major public events.

Thank gently caress I'm full-time WFH, but I'm honestly wondering how many of these people I won't be talking to ever again after this holiday season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the US gov't will admit covid is possibly real on friday, dec 31 at 6pm PST
And if anyone brings it up on January 1st, they'll get roundly and angrily mocked because COVID is so last year and why you gotta keep bringin' up old poo poo?