Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Appendix 19: Sweepers

Anton’s Page posted:

Our body is composed of liquid. Liquid is the substance that fuels our body. While humans maintain their form with the shell they call flesh and skin, we maintain our form with the suit we wear. If this liquid runs out, we will stop dead in place. Therefore, the liquid must always be filled, which is the reason we dine. This liquid is what constitutes and moves our body, but we also use the liquid to sweep the streets and dine. The method is simple. When we embed a hook connected to the fuel tank on our back into a human, they melt like a liquid. Then we consume that liquid to refuel. Without this shell, we would deform and spill on the ground like them. The liquid is patented with the approval of the Head; you must change your body to become like us if you wish to join our family. Do not worry about side effects. Mother will give you all the assistance you need. We all could safely become a family thanks to her.

Valerie’s Page posted:

The Backstreets are our main stage of activity at night. When night falls, our world unfolds. At regular intervals, we start marching from the perimeter of a Nest and sweep everything as we move forward. Even if someone stands in our way, and attacks us… Even if a powerful Fixer kills a Sweeper next to us who was our family, we pay no heed and continue onward. Like a wave of water, we sweep everything in our way, except for those who are strong enough to resist it. From an edge of a Nest to the opposite end, we march without break for 80 minutes until the ‘Night in the Backstreets’ ends.

Lyla’s Page posted:

That is correct. We are conscious of the attention of people during the daytime. We practice caution. It would be a public nuisance to show up in broad daylight and cause a ruckus, and we have a set of rules that we abide to. Of course, if the Head demands our service, we must assemble, day or night. Oh, and I believe there is a small misunderstanding between us. It is not by the will of us Sweepers that the night in the Backstreets has become a time when no deed is forbidden. Does it appear to you that every denizen of the Backstreets disapproves of the rules? ‘Anyone is allowed to commit terrible acts at night, and there is nowhere to complain to if you are victimized.’ While this means terrible things can happen to you at night, it also means that you are free to be the perpetrator of such a deed yourself. In fact, we do not see much benefit from the freedom of the nighttime, other than being allowed to dine all we want.

A Sweeper’s Page posted:

If the ‘Night in the Backstreets’ were to be gone, the Backstreets will fall into even worse chaos than before. In other words, the Night in the Backstreets is the rein that keeps this place in check. Because the Night exists, people here show the least amount of human decency.

Here’s an example. You come home at the end of a hellish day. Dragging your weary body to the sofa, you hope to get a small break lying on the couch and watching cheap entertainment shows. But guess what happens. Some crazy jerk upstairs turns up their speakerphone’s volume to the max and makes obnoxious noises that make your ceiling shake. Too bad, there goes your peaceful respite. You can’t stand the noise that’s getting to your head, so you decide to ask your neighbor to please be considerate and lower the volume. You want to talk this over without a fight, so you battle the furious urge a million times before you go upstairs. But then our unfriendly neighbor gives you a baffling reply when you confront them. I need some free time for myself too, I have gripes with my neighbors that I just live with, so you should do the same. Why make a huge fuss about the noise when it isn’t even too loud, blah blah… Talking out of their rear end. What can you do, though? Barely keeping your boiling anger inside, you go back down to your house, covering your ears with a pillow and yelling curse words as you try to sleep. Even if you told your landlord about it, they’d shrug off your complaint and smile like a saint, so there’s no use speaking up about it.

That’s when the Night of the Backstreets comes into play. First off, you block the entrance to that shithead’s house before they return. Anything works; you could weld the door, use wooden planks, padlock the door, or whatever. Ensure that they can’t enter their own house by any means, and go back to your home. Some time later, they’ll come back to find that the door to their house has been sealed shut; they’ll struggle with the door before giving up. And they’ll make a serious face as though they’re trying to think of who could’ve done this ridiculous prank to them. Once they realize that it couldn’t possibly have been anyone else’s doing but yours, it’ll be too late. Because you’ll be behind them, bashing their head in with a brick or some heavy object. Killing them right now would obviously break the rules, so you drag them to your house and enjoy a quiet rest.

When the clock hits 3 AM, you drag the little poo poo outside and throw it in the middle of a relatively large street. You return to your home before it’s too late and watch the scene from the window. The time is 3:13 AM; Sweepers crawl out of the dark and sweep the streets clean, collecting all the trash including that noise pollutant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

:hmmyes: Yeah that seems like an appropriate course of action if you have a noisy neighbor.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
So The Sweepers are a public service courtesy of The Head. How nice

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Some facts about Sweepers:

* They keep neighborhood clean.
* They are always on time.
* Do not copy this Sweeper (if you do not want Claw visiting you for patent violation).
* They are well hydrated.
* They give good avice for dealing with rowdy neighbors.
* They do not discriminate.
* They welcome all.
* They are discreet.

Conclusion: Sweepers are awesome.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
*Good at math
*Bring their own beer
*Cannibals
*Won't play music at 3AM

What's not to like

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Sweepers got a real glow up between the games, yeah.

The gasmask cannibals come with government enforced patent protection.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

It's as my momma always said - stay out of the arroyos backstreets at night or you'll be swept away!

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
I got permission from TQ to post this incredibly spoilerrific image of a character we've seen before doing something he did on screen before. Truly, I am a menace.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TeeQueue posted:

Appendix 19: Sweepers
The liquid is patented with the approval of the Head;

:dogstare:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Man Juice: Head ApprovedTM

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Sweepers being explicitly approved and regulated by the Head is something I didn't expect, but in hindsight it kind of makes sense, because everything else in the city is that way. We don't know how many Claws and Arbiters there are, but if Binah's previous deeds are any indication, it wouldn't take very many of them to permanently get rid of Sweepers. Which raises more questions about just what the Head's goal is. At this point even if you assume it's just wealth or power for its own sake, it's hard to see how this whole system they've setup is the best way to get it.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

We don't know how many Claws and Arbiters there are, but if Binah's previous deeds are any indication, it wouldn't take very many of them to permanently get rid of Sweepers.
But why would Head want to get rid of Sweepers? They do not violate any patents, don't use firearms and I do not think that they will be developing AI or starting human instrumentality project any time soon. Remember: head does not care about how vile something if it is happening according to the rules, as Kurokumo books tells us.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Which raises more questions about just what the Head's goal is. At this point even if you assume it's just wealth or power for its own sake, it's hard to see how this whole system they've setup is the best way to get it.

Well, the City is an anarcho-capitalist paradise, where the only regulation is that imposed through contracts by private businesses. The Head is the inevitable cartel that sits on top of all that. I think they're probably happy as long as they've secured their own power over the world.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I don't think it's simply a cartel. A lot of the Head's rulings are weirdly arbitrary yet still ruthlessly enforced. They clearly have some form of specific vision they're trying to actualize.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

MiiNiPaa posted:

But why would Head want to get rid of Sweepers? They do not violate any patents, don't use firearms and I do not think that they will be developing AI or starting human instrumentality project any time soon. Remember: head does not care about how vile something if it is happening according to the rules, as Kurokumo books tells us.

I know, I was just pointing out that up to now I hadn't realized that getting rid of Sweepers wasn't a matter of "cannot", but a matter of "will not" for the Head.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's possible. The main things we know they properly crack down on are humanlike AI and guns. The guns thing is fairly explicable, really - trying to keep the power curve of available weapons in line with how rich you have to be to get them (and hence how invested you are in the existing economy). AI not so much. I wouldn't be surprised if, with the amount that human sacrifice powers so much of the city's industry, it was an effort to control where new people come from.

I guess my point is I believe the Head isn't so much hoping to actualise a vision of society as that they've already achieved that, and now just want to keep it stable. Naturally, this doesn't necessarily mean making life enjoyable for anyone within it, possibly not even the people in charge.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 5, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Sweepers also are probably well, literally valuable for their name. They clean up the streets every night, sweeping up the dead and the dying and the just plain stupid.

That’s the value of liquified Human Resources, they suck everything up as they pass.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Sweepers also are probably well, literally valuable for their name. They clean up the streets every night, sweeping up the dead and the dying and the just plain stupid.

That’s the value of liquified Human Resources, they suck everything up as they pass.

This. They’re also valuable to other groups as a great way to cover up various crimes, and they ensure that all citizens desperately require shelter every night. A lot of powerful people profit greatly from the existence of sweepers, and sweepers don’t pose a major threat to them anyway. There’s no reason for the head to get rid of them.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Basically 'A solution to the homeless problem' in the most literal sense.

Considering how existing cities invest money in making homeless' lives miserable, I buy it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tenebrais posted:

I guess my point is I believe the Head isn't so much hoping to actualise a vision of society as that they've already achieved that, and now just want to keep it stable. Naturally, this doesn't necessarily mean making life enjoyable for anyone within it, possibly not even the people in charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJQTc-TqpU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's interesting if a bit horrifying to think of the Sweepers in terms of the greater ecosystem of the City. The example given in the Sweeper page is kind of a prime example. Murder only needs to be concealed for the duration of a day at most. As long as you can get the corpse out to the street at 3 AM, it's completely cleaned up.

There's also the fact that since someone could theoretically have gotten themselves killed by just being out at the wrong time, investigation into a death is nearly impossible in some cases. So... it kind of enforces its own set of social rules. Everyone has motivation to be at least minimally courteous to their neighbors, otherwise the much lower barrier of entry to murder and such self-corrects the problem.

There's also the thing that other people have mentioned in that homelessness simply can't exist here. All that gets shoved into the Outskirts, so the City gets to be 'cleaner' in that way. If the Sweepers were to disappear as a whole one day, the City would probably collapse, beset by the wave of disease that happens once the corpses and related detritus stops being cleaned up.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
^That get's me thinking, we really are shaking up this city and messing with it's equilibrium slowly but surely. I can imagine there being some severe consequences once this whole ordeal is over.

Tatters
Jan 29, 2020
It aint pretty, but graphic design is my passion so I gave this a whole like, 5 minutes in the hopes it would make someone chuckle.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Tatters posted:

It aint pretty, but graphic design is my passion so I gave this a whole like, 5 minutes in the hopes it would make someone chuckle.

By 4:33, actually.

Tombot posted:

^That get's me thinking, we really are shaking up this city and messing with it's equilibrium slowly but surely. I can imagine there being some severe consequences once this whole ordeal is over.
I overcame all ordeals and made it to the end of day 50. Maybe whoever manages the City should do the same.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Keldulas posted:

It's interesting if a bit horrifying to think of the Sweepers in terms of the greater ecosystem of the City. The example given in the Sweeper page is kind of a prime example. Murder only needs to be concealed for the duration of a day at most. As long as you can get the corpse out to the street at 3 AM, it's completely cleaned up.

There's also the fact that since someone could theoretically have gotten themselves killed by just being out at the wrong time, investigation into a death is nearly impossible in some cases. So... it kind of enforces its own set of social rules. Everyone has motivation to be at least minimally courteous to their neighbors, otherwise the much lower barrier of entry to murder and such self-corrects the problem.

Actually it pretty much ensures more murder overall; people who DON'T want to be minimally courteous just use that lower barrier of entry to murder to indulge themselves more. And fewer people will invest in lower levels of conflict resolution when consequence-free murder is on the table. Honestly I more and more wonder if the Head's goals are deliberate farming of misery or something. It can't be just "maintain control with the Head on top"; death being a common thing is a DESTABILIZING element for a civilization, if you just want crushing autocratic control setting up a civilization like the City where killing is so widespread is counterproductive, it inserts tremendous chaos into things by default. They might try to use that chaos to ruin any other competing power groups that could arise, but one screwup and the Head is the power group that suddenly gets oopsied out of existance by the wanton violence they encouraged. I suppose given the closest thing I recall we've seen to an official link to the Head is Binah and she's pretty blatantly sadistic, maybe maximizing suffering is in fact the goal.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

MadDogMike posted:

Actually it pretty much ensures more murder overall; people who DON'T want to be minimally courteous just use that lower barrier of entry to murder to indulge themselves more. And fewer people will invest in lower levels of conflict resolution when consequence-free murder is on the table. Honestly I more and more wonder if the Head's goals are deliberate farming of misery or something. It can't be just "maintain control with the Head on top"; death being a common thing is a DESTABILIZING element for a civilization, if you just want crushing autocratic control setting up a civilization like the City where killing is so widespread is counterproductive, it inserts tremendous chaos into things by default. They might try to use that chaos to ruin any other competing power groups that could arise, but one screwup and the Head is the power group that suddenly gets oopsied out of existance by the wanton violence they encouraged. I suppose given the closest thing I recall we've seen to an official link to the Head is Binah and she's pretty blatantly sadistic, maybe maximizing suffering is in fact the goal.
You are now recalling how L-Corp required the suffering and misery of sentient beings in order to generate Enkephalin. Having drones manage the Abnormalities would have explicitly reduced efficiency.

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021

Shogeton posted:

Basically 'A solution to the homeless problem' in the most literal sense.

Considering how existing cities invest money in making homeless' lives miserable, I buy it.

Given how Sweepers operate, it's more like a solution OF the homeless

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Whispering
Morning, keep the streets empty for me
Morning, keep the streets empty for me

Uncover our heads and reveal our souls
We were hungry before we were born

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Zereth posted:

That was the mask.

:ms:

:thejoke:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tombot posted:

We got rid of 15 Sweepers. I'm sure there's plenty more.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
This whole sweeping discussion is making me wonder how garbage disposal works in the City. WonderLab seems to imply it mostly gets dumped in the Outskirts, but beyond that I don't think there's anything else mentioned. I'm guessing a W Corp brand Magic Hole™ takes it there if you live in a Nest. For the Backstreets, do Sweepers also take care of that? For the organic stuff anyway? If so their sense of civic duty is well above and beyond the average inhabitant of the City.

The more I learn about them, the more I like those juicy little goofballs.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

This whole sweeping discussion is making me wonder how garbage disposal works in the City. WonderLab seems to imply it mostly gets dumped in the Outskirts, but beyond that I don't think there's anything else mentioned. I'm guessing a W Corp brand Magic Hole™ takes it there if you live in a Nest. For the Backstreets, do Sweepers also take care of that? For the organic stuff anyway? If so their sense of civic duty is well above and beyond the average inhabitant of the City.

The more I learn about them, the more I like those juicy little goofballs.

If not the sweepers I'm sure garbage in the backstreets is taken care of by some sort of civic minded monstrosities, that also happen to devour children.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

GilliamYaeger posted:

You are now recalling how L-Corp required the suffering and misery of sentient beings in order to generate Enkephalin. Having drones manage the Abnormalities would have explicitly reduced efficiency.
To be fair, L-Corp was skimming massive amounts of energy off the top to hoard in order to germinate and release the seed of light. If they actually just kept to a quota for energy needed to fuel the City I expect things could have been played significantly safer, although some amount of horrific death, loss of sanity, and outright feeding employees to Abnormalities is inherent in the system.

Edit: The really funny thing to me is they got away with it precisely because horrific death is commonplace in the City, imo. They were even considered a relatively safe and beneficial place to work!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

PetraCore posted:

To be fair, L-Corp was skimming massive amounts of energy off the top to hoard in order to germinate and release the seed of light. If they actually just kept to a quota for energy needed to fuel the City I expect things could have been played significantly safer, although some amount of horrific death, loss of sanity, and outright feeding employees to Abnormalities is inherent in the system.

Edit: The really funny thing to me is they got away with it precisely because horrific death is commonplace in the City, imo. They were even considered a relatively safe and beneficial place to work!

Wonderlab shows the non-HQ offices were fairly safe, although they still did the human suffering thing.

None of the energy HQ was producing was going out into the city actually, it was all being self stored or being used to send the Abnormalities to branch offices.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Lord_Magmar posted:

Wonderlab shows the non-HQ offices were fairly safe, although they still did the human suffering thing.

None of the energy HQ was producing was going out into the city actually, it was all being self stored or being used to send the Abnormalities to branch offices.
Yeah, like, if you follow the rules in a branch office you'll usually be okay, but sometimes you'll get completely hosed over just to produce a massive amount of energy despite that resulting in the loss of an excellent employee in the long run. You know the Abno I'm talking about.

And in the end, the release of the seed completely fucks over every employee still in an office, right? They got trapped.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, like, if you follow the rules in a branch office you'll usually be okay, but sometimes you'll get completely hosed over just to produce a massive amount of energy despite that resulting in the loss of an excellent employee in the long run. You know the Abno I'm talking about.

And in the end, the release of the seed completely fucks over every employee still in an office, right? They got trapped.

No not really, the people got trapped but not intentionally alongside the release of the seed. The trapping wasn't intended and wasn't in the plan.

In the case of Wonderlab the issue was the manager was long dead to begin with for that branch office, and specifically the abnormalities got released which standard operating procedure in such a scenario is to sink the facility. They were trapped because there was nobody to actually get them out, but it wasn't an intentional thing and plenty of people got out of the offices after the light started.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Keldulas posted:

There's also the thing that other people have mentioned in that homelessness simply can't exist here. All that gets shoved into the Outskirts, so the City gets to be 'cleaner' in that way. If the Sweepers were to disappear as a whole one day, the City would probably collapse, beset by the wave of disease that happens once the corpses and related detritus stops being cleaned up.

If you look at historical dueling cultures, the politeness never really increases, but the murder rate absolutely does. So I doubt this version of consequence-free murder would help either. I think MadDogMike is right. The superpowered serial killers and syndicates in the City are the intended state of affairs, and the Head is happy to see this level of casual violence all around, although we don't really understand why. The only things we know about the head are the things Binah says, and the implication that the Birds are in some way based on the collective unconscious opinion of the Head.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Lord_Magmar posted:

Diring the course of Wonderlab two offices were destroyed along with all employees (one due to magical girls, one due to Titania and Nobody Is), at "our" office there were regular departament wipes due to Caterpillar, high level agents are sacrificed to the Rose, and that not counting regular Abnormaly breaches. Competently played HQ has less death than Wonderlab.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Competently played LobCorp kind of has time rewind to fix the times when something goes wrong. Several abnos are of the snowball problem variety after all. I will say that the branch offices don't feel that sustainable what with the complete destruction that happened to two of them, though maybe they generated so much excess power from that they could just afford to rebuild. And it's not like the life cost is important in this universe...

I take the point about dueling cultures. It would make sense with all this legitimized supernatural murder happening constantly, that the regular people would be getting in on that poo poo too.

Just look at the Rats, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the thing with the whole setup of The City and the Head is it's the classic dictator ploy of "if you keep everybody below you fighting each other, it means they won't team up and come after you". The City very clearly needs a fundamental shift in the status quo but most people are too worried about getting murdered by neighbours to start any sort of movement. And when people do start to get powerful enough to threaten the status quo, the Head still has ways to handle them - look at LobCorp itself. It started off as some rando lab doing weird experiments but once it started to get threatening to the people in power, they got elevated to being a Wing, basically trying to get them more invested in the maintenance of the status quo because now they're invested in it to maintain their own power. When that didn't work and Carmen and the gang still kept working on the thing that was going to completely upend the social order of The City, that's when they had an arbiter sent after them.