Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021
Ugh....the puppets freak me out, not gonna lie. Then again, anything from that train freaks me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Little train, little train of horrors
Little train, little train of terror

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
Before anyone sends me any hatemail i cleared this with TQ i got him to sign a release and everything
anyway here's the VHS cassette of what LOR was like 2 years ago

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
People are so focused on other dimensions, lasered in on sight and sound and mind; that they miss their journey through temporal flux where the boundaries are ever-shifting. The signpost has always been behind us - our last and second stop, Records and Archival!

Our story begins in the far flung past of 2020, back before they had invented libraries or battle simulators.

Are you certain that these were her instructions?

It’s either that or to ID some guy named Ted. She’s always been a bit aloof even before she replaced her output punch cards with that brand-spanking new gramophone, and it being on the fritz isn’t helping none either.

Alright then, I suppose we’ll proceed like this. Ahem…

Embrace the future, face the fear!

Sharing humour one page at a time! The Eight Ball of Rejection! Nosod!

The truth will set you freee! The Eight Ball of Mystique! Perhapsod!

I'm just happy to be here! The Eight Ball of Contemplation! Askagainlatersod!

...Don't let anyone say I don't indulge my subordinates. The Eight Ball of Certainty, Yesod.

Our victory was preordained in the stars! Eight Ball, roll out!

This was of course countless years ago, where speed dice fonts could fill a room. How fast technology marches onward…

So, if Angela’s voice is out of commission…

…We’re flying blind here, yes.

Ooh, ooh! Is it time for protocol Drunken Fist!?

If we’re flying blind, all we gotta do is wing iiit…!

Just because we’re going off of our discretion doesn’t mean you’re allowed to slack off.

If I catch anyone here intentionally gambling with their coworkers' lives by attacking willy-nilly, there will be consequences. Are we clear?

Crystalll…

They needn’t have bothered, really. Imagine if you will, a way to get a gap of 16 power between teams.

That’s the equivalent of 4 people gaining the Grace of the Prescript, twice over.

Now imagine this stratagem only costs 3 light, only gets better as you stack it, and synergizes well with the most robustly supported damage type at the moment.

Would it not trivialize encounters and warp the balance? It would be frankly obscenely centralizing.

Well, take the potency of the hypothetical in your head and double it, and that’s about what Black MIDI is.

A cacophony of notes that utterly snuffs any and all need for deckbuilding or proper play.

You unlock the tools for this in like, mid Urban Plague? And it easily auto-battles an Urban Nightmare reception no sweat.

2 Drinking birds set to P and Space could run this. Why should you bother carefully constructing decks if it gets outperformed by dumb caveman face punching?

I suppose it matches the philosophy of the city; of excising the process to arrive at the results.

But the point of it all was to change that, right? That’s why it’ll never have happened, never will happen.

This senseless display of violence…

Of skill and confluence being overwritten by mindless thrashing…

Perhaps it is best left in mere hushed whispers, like the rest of the threads of fate never to be or have been.

The only records left of the ever-shifting and immutable past will be in Records and Archival, after all.

…First of all, does any of that have any bearing on why we’re here and what’s going to happen to us?

None whatsoever.

Then why even bother doing the voices- Look, it just doesn’t add up. Grunts of a section 2 of an Association not meant for direct combat having equivalent durability to Tomerry? Their director being able to throw out attacks straight up stronger than the EGO the Library, Philip or even Angela used willy-nilly? Feeding the dozens of puppeteered civilians to random pages for fashion?

Are you even trying to keep your story straight?

Of course it doesn’t make sense. That’s why they’ll make it to not have happened. Or have already made it not going to happen. Either works.

What it looks like to me is that there was a clerical error, and clerical errors for this kind of thing would mean you messed up really badly, so you’re hastily coming up with utter nonsense to distract from the fact post-mortem.

Oh geez looks like that’s all the time we have for Records and Archival today— I mean, And with that, this pain has been observed. Fare thee well~ Join us next time for ‘In Liu of Balance: Around the City in 9 Weeks and 11 Days’!

MetaMeme fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 18, 2022

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I wasn’t going to do the legacy content overview because it was a lot of work that didn’t matter, and those scribbles gave me flashbacks to how absurd the game was in its original form. :allears:

Anyways… when I wake up properly I’ll link this in the bonus section I think.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

This I was not expecting, however. :allears:

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

The implication that Yesod's answer is "Ye" and not "Yes".

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Amazing. Early access gives some good insights into why games keep going through more versions after beta.

Ah, book drop rates. They literally doubled them like 3 days before release. Good decision, needing to run the same reception multiple times is very meh.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

they're the same picture person??? Why'd you draw Yesod four times?

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

and people call *me* quick on the draw...
Amazing work as always.

RandomReader posted:

The implication that Yesod's answer is "Ye" and not "Yes".

Well in Korean the phoeneme "ye" corresponds to a far more formal way to say "yes" and funnily enough the "sod" is actually the way it spells the english word "sword" so we could've gone with "yesod" "nosod" "yeshield" "noshield" but that doesn't work as well in english so I went with the eight ball instead and can you tell I overthink these

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The more I see of Legacy, the more I'm glad I didn't play LoR during the Early Access period. The stories about grinding and stupid RNG abilities makes me think it would've put me off of the game before its current form.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The artists in this thread are wonderful and I love you all.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Theantero posted:

It is also entirely possible, assuming this theory is correct, that they can only harvest the necessary time from people actively experiencing it (as in, not in stasis). If the experience of time was not important, then there would be no reason not to run empty trains for the purpose of time harvesting.

The suffering of them poors being not just incidental, but necessary for the process would fit in even better with the City's whole vibe.

We have some reason at this point to suspect that ALL singularities might be dependent on human suffering, or perhaps, that the Head will only allow singularities that are.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We have some reason at this point to suspect that ALL singularities might be dependent on human suffering, or perhaps, that the Head will only allow singularities that are.

Given what the cannibals have said about the unique flavors created from suffering? It's also possible that In the City, high-level emotions (like the Emotion Levels we generate in the Library) literally give yield to otherwise-impossible results, in the right mix and concentration. That could then mean suffering is merely the route that is easiest to work with, whether it's for effective reasons (like suffering produces better results) or efficiency reasons (like suffering is easier TO produce, even if another emotion could yield the same or better output).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Keldulas posted:

The more I see of Legacy, the more I'm glad I didn't play LoR during the Early Access period. The stories about grinding and stupid RNG abilities makes me think it would've put me off of the game before its current form.

Amen, brother.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ariamaki posted:

Given what the cannibals have said about the unique flavors created from suffering? It's also possible that In the City, high-level emotions (like the Emotion Levels we generate in the Library) literally give yield to otherwise-impossible results, in the right mix and concentration. That could then mean suffering is merely the route that is easiest to work with, whether it's for effective reasons (like suffering produces better results) or efficiency reasons (like suffering is easier TO produce, even if another emotion could yield the same or better output).

This makes a lot of sense really, and it ties in with the bit from LobCorp about how all the stuff about working the abnormalities isn't what really generates the energy, it's the constant death and misery experienced by the staff. Working the abnormalities is just kind of a catalyst to make that stuff happen.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'd say the emotion thing is strictly about efficiency. It's very easy to engender high stress into total strangers if you're inclined. And we see an example of the power of it with the manifestation of E.G.O gear with Phillip, via LobCorp's Singularity. He never would've got those armaments if he wasn't pushed to that massive stress point. And from what Roland the outside fixer says, that E.G.O gear is high quality poo poo.

The Red Mist supports this point of E.G.O gear being high power, where she's absolutely legendary and uses E.G.O as her primary gear.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ariamaki posted:

know what, that's a more compelling pitch than mine

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

and troublingly relevant to the Train Situation

E: also

ShyGuy1231 posted:

Ugh....the puppets freak me out, not gonna lie. Then again, anything from that train freaks me out.

Don't worry about that train. Another will be along shortly.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 19, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ariamaki posted:

So Monsters Inc either takes place in the Project Mooniverse, or the Mirror Mooniverse.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Ariamaki posted:

Apparently suffering, or rather stress, does have an effect on the meat's taste. Stress causes adrenaline release, which uses up glycogen, which is then no longer available to be lactic acid. Unfortunately, lactic acid is actually desirable, as it keeps the meat flavorful, tender, and slows spoilage; so I get the feeling the "unique flavors" Pierre and Jack were talking about was simply them justifying their own sadism. "we're not doing this just to be terrible, we like the taste!"

Can't say one way or another on singularities though. If they are powered by emotions, that just makes things sadder, because it means the Wings could have tried to make the City a paradise, but chose hell instead.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Junpei posted:

So in a Q&A session, the Project Moon people said that they don't really have any plans for English dubs, or really any other voice acting besides Korean.

That being said, who would you cast for... let's keep things simple, Roland, Angela, and the 9 Sephirot?
Peter Capaldi as Yesod.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
I don't know about anyone else, but the Train Revelation kind of went overboard for me. It's harder to feel bad about the other city atrocities now. Got mugged in the backstreets? That's nothing compared to being tortured for a thousand years on your way to work tomorrow. Precept asked you to eat your own foot? Take comfort in knowing the messenger was tortured for a thousand years getting to your place. Cannibals making kids into pies? It's okay, they saved the kids from being tortured for a thousand years when they're picked up from school. They're practically heroes!

Anyway, if all singularities are powered by suffering, how do to the rest work? Does R-corp's "cloning" involve kidnapping people and overwriting their memories?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Not The Wendigo posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but the Train Revelation kind of went overboard for me. It's harder to feel bad about the other city atrocities now. Got mugged in the backstreets? That's nothing compared to being tortured for a thousand years on your way to work tomorrow. Precept asked you to eat your own foot? Take comfort in knowing the messenger was tortured for a thousand years getting to your place. Cannibals making kids into pies? It's okay, they saved the kids from being tortured for a thousand years when they're picked up from school. They're practically heroes!

Anyway, if all singularities are powered by suffering, how do to the rest work? Does R-corp's "cloning" involve kidnapping people and overwriting their memories?

I think the thing with the train relative to everything else is that nobody really knows the train is awful except the people running it. Whereas the average citizen is absolutely more concerned with everything else you listed because they know about those things.

If nobody remembers it, were you really tortured for a thousand years, or did you take a pleasant instantaneous 10 second journey across town?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I feel like there's something philosophical about it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly, this revelation actually feels a bit less bad than one of the other very plausible options we'd considered before this - where it's actually a copy of the train that arrives in the station and the original passengers just get dumped into the void forever. In that you have the same basic situation, but the hellvoid is only for a few thousand years rather than literal eternity.

Either way this is one hell of a complication on The Trolley Problem

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Don't worry about that train. Another will be along shortly.

About 10 seconds away in fact

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The actual train revelation is that somebody at PM really liked The Jaunt.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Theantero posted:

Basically tbh

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Theantero posted:

People keep telling me to check that one out, but I never got around to finishing it. It's longer than you think.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

my dad posted:

People keep telling me to check that one out, but I never got around to finishing it. It's longer than you think.

This physically hurt me to read.

:golfclap:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Someone at PM also liked the Purge movies if Night in the Backstreets is any indication.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

Junpei posted:

Someone at PM also liked the Purge movies if Night in the Backstreets is any indication.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought.

But of course, since this is the City, it happens EVERY night!

Someone needs to make a "That's the City" GIF.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Lunatic 0verlord posted:

Someone needs to make a "That's the City" GIF.

As we've yet to meet any major figures from the Head that would fit, I nominate Binah for the slide-in portrait.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Roland could work too as our personal city guide in this game

yelim0503
Jun 6, 2013
I finally finished reading through!

Honestly, I love the EGO (ish?) outfits that Angela wore during the revelations--made me want to draw larger portraits of them.

Thanks for 164 pages of entertainment!

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

yelim0503 posted:

made me want to draw

we got another one

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

SL the Pyro posted:

As we've yet to meet any major figures from the Head that would fit, I nominate Binah for the slide-in portrait.

Yeah, that is the biggest issue.

Angela certainly wouldn't work.

And the closest candidates we have are a FORMER Arbiter (whose new design we don't even have yet) and someone who knows way too much to be a mere Grade 9 Fixer.

So now we either wait for a proper major figure of the Head (assuming there ever is one who shows up in this game), or we go with what we have (and only one currently has a portrait in this game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
There are worse slide-ins than The Red Mist, though I guess hideously famous person that definitely doesn't represent the average person might be a hard sell there.

Edit: Having played the game more recently, the Malkuth floor is one I underestimated? I don't like Cactus strategies, but it is undeniably very good at it. And Happy Memories is so powerful that it ALONE justifies the entire freaking floor. Anything else is honestly icing, Happy Memories just enables so many silly tactics.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 22, 2022