Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnormNemus
Dec 14, 2022
Essentially, an Aberration of CENSORED. How horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

EnormNemus posted:

Essentially, an Aberration of CENSORED. How horrifying.

Instead of being so horryfying, so it has to be censored even after cognitive filter, it censors everything it can reach instead. Mechanics could be similar to 1.76 MHz, but instead of filling hallways with static, it blocks out important info on other containment cells, like current Qliphoth Counter, work results, view of the abnormality, Meltdown counter, etc. Good luck handling QoH, when you cannot see her, counter or how well previous guy performed.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

MiiNiPaa posted:

Instead of being so horryfying, so it has to be censored even after cognitive filter, it censors everything it can reach instead. Mechanics could be similar to 1.76 MHz, but instead of filling hallways with static, it blocks out important info on other containment cells, like current Qliphoth Counter, work results, view of the abnormality, Meltdown counter, etc. Good luck handling QoH, when you cannot see her, counter or how well previous guy performed.

Heaven help you if you also happen to have Don’t Touch Me! on your facility.

Mind you that brings to mind a DTM Aberration called Please Touch Me where very bad things happen if you don’t touch the button before every/every X number of works.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Chaosbrain posted:

Heaven help you if you also happen to have Don’t Touch Me! on your facility.

Mind you that brings to mind a DTM Aberration called Please Touch Me where very bad things happen if you don’t touch the button before every/every X number of works.

Isn't that just Express Train To Hell?

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Tenebrais posted:

Isn't that just Express Train To Hell?

More like Punishing Bird

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
The comparisons did cross my mind, meaning it could work as the code architecture would be there. Sort of a mix of the two really, where you have the charges/countdown of ETtH only instead of a timer it runs on number of other Abnormalities worked like birb.

If you work it literally every other work, it’s fine. Two works before you work it and it hits the department for light to medium damage. Three works and it’s the department for medium damage. Four and it’s the entire facility for medium, if five are worked without touching it all Quipploth Counters go to 0 and half your agents panic.

Or it could be each additional work changes the department/facility wide damage in the order White->Red->Black->Pale.

Chaosbrain fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 16, 2022

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
that just makes it a worse Express Train to Hell. Why would anyone want a worse Express Train to Hell?

but aside from that, an Abnormality/Aberration named "Please Touch Me" raises an important question: is there an HR department?
"Binah, we've had to deal with a dozen complaints a day since that Abnormality was dredged up. Throw it back in the drat well."

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 16, 2022

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

NullBlack posted:

that just makes it a worse Express Train to Hell. Why would anyone want a worse Express Train to Hell?

but aside from that, an Abnormality/Aberration named "Please Touch Me" raises an important question: is there an HR department?
"Binah, we've had to deal with a dozen complaints a day since that Abnormality was dredged up. Throw it back in the drat well."

At first I thought you were saying Binah was HR and I was like... man, that's the most :lobcorp: choice I can imagine.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Alien Arcana posted:

At first I thought you were saying Binah was HR and I was like... man, that's the most :lobcorp: choice I can imagine.

oh god no. Binah's not in charge of dealing with HR problems. She is the HR problem.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

NullBlack posted:

Why would anyone want Don’t Touch Me? Well aside from its Meltdown eating prowess and inability to be a problem unless you touch it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NullBlack posted:

oh god no. Binah's not in charge of dealing with HR problems. She is the HR problem.

Which is made worse with her relationship with the boss.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Chaosbrain posted:

a DTM Aberration called Please Touch Me

?

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
That's... what, a Nintendo64 frog? What's the connection?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

KobunFan posted:

That's... what, a Nintendo64 frog? What's the connection?

The joke is that it's an FF7 enemy called Touch Me.

It turns people into frogs on contact.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022
Or maybe Touch Me from Overlord?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

MiiNiPaa posted:

Ah, so it's a Yesod meltdown.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Tatters posted:

Truthfully, Snow Queen never gave me any trouble on any given playthrough. Maybe the stars just keep aligning for me or something.

On that note, I'm casting my vote for one of the few abnos that still gives me trouble 5 playthroughs deep!

IDK what are you talking about, did you try to simply not die to it? It is not that hard.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Ah, so it's a Yesod meltdown.
Essentially, but localized and with more pixels.

Rofaner
May 30, 2011

NullBlack posted:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

MiiNiPaa posted:

There's a Ruina mod that does an Ayin Realisation, which includes a mechanic similar to that. However, I've been reminded that the video is spoilery and thus I'll move it to the Lobcorp Thread, apologies.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 19, 2022

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lunar Suite posted:

SPOILERS AHOY

Hey, buddy, remember what thread you're posting in. Might wanna delete that link which contains pretty significant spoilers.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's probably best to not look at any mods in general for any blind readers, as it's too easy to trip over things later in the story.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

Keldulas posted:

It's probably best to not look at any mods in general for any blind readers, as it's too easy to trip over things later in the story.

last I checked the front page of the workshop while someone wasn't finished with lor, it had multiple late-endgame spoilers. so uh, yeah, be a little careful with that. If you're gonna download any mods get direct links from other sources, but also I think base ruina is (mostly) perfectly fine without mods.

(that said I do 100% advocate for adding mods after beating the game, since between qol mods and some with just generally insanely high production values, theres always more ruina if you want it.)

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's best not to mod at all until the game's done, really. For one, a serious number of the mods seem designed for it, so they're going to be correspondingly loose with the spoilers.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

counterpoint: No grind mod.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
You mean you didn't like killing Phillip 5 times?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Eh, in the current form, it's twice at this point.

Granted, I'm a bit of a curmudgeon who doesn't like modding stuff by and large anyways.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

counterpoint: No grind mod.

if there was any mod id get for first playthrough, for people who are as good at games as I am (which is to say, not very good), it'd be All Delete

press delete button. win reception. get 99 copies of every book. thats the mod

(oh and all the optimizations to make the game run smoother but shh)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Grinding builds character, though. Makes you really reflect on your fleeting time on this planet Earth as it slips between your fingers.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Theantero posted:

Grinding builds character, though. Makes you really reflect on your fleeting time on this planet Earth as it slips between your fingers.

If you say so, Binah.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Religion—927.72—The Burrowing Heaven

Music: Lobby

Knew that going in without any way to get more attacks wouldn't work…

You didn't voice any concerns at the time.

That's because you wouldn't've listened anyways.

Because back in my day, we wouldn't have needed any draw to get the job done.

Yeah! Because back in your day, the City didn't exist yet!

Aren't we all like 10,000 years old by now?

Ugh… you know what I mean.

Retry Count: 2. I completely neglected basic deckbuilding 101 in order to try and look cool, gassed all three of my Librarians quickly, and died. Oops.

Fine then. Let's see what you would suggest.

I was thinking something more like this.

All of Hokma's Abnormality battles have a strange gimmick to them, and for the Burrowing Heaven that gimmick is Block Dice. Ferrous Guard is the best of the Block pages we have right now, Smoking Pipe is ironically really useful, and Deep Drag is still worth playing to Smoke the enemy for bonus damage. To Overcome Crisis also gets the nod because I simply don't have any better drawtech than a 0-cost single offensive die page.

Hmm… Seems reasonable. I'll follow suit.

Same, I guess… but what's the W-corp stuff for?

Insurance.

It seems that there were some unexpected troubles?

That's a kind way of putting it.

Regardless, I understand that we can simply try again?

That's correct. As many times as is necessary.

Then what're you guys waiting for? Let's get in there!

Yes… Let's just be done with this as quickly as possible.

SNAP

Music: AbnormalityBattle02

The Burrowing Heaven. So long as we keep it contained within our sight, it will not move.

But now there's four of them… the main body and those other three. Morgan, you were the last one alive. Any insight?

Let's see… It all really went to poo poo when the second one woke up, so we've basically got a time limit to take care of each of these guys.

We also need to pay attention to the timings of our strikes… I picked up on a sort of rhythm.

'course you did… Well, all I have is 'remember to keep some tricks up your sleeves.' If we get tired again, we die. Let's do this.

The Burrowing Heaven posted:

If you can’t see it, you can’t reach it.

The desire for the unreachable will only grow bigger. And to pursue it… is to tread a path riddled with thorns.

Just keep your eyes on it. Contain it in your sight.

You won’t bat an eye at this breathtaking sight.

Keep looking at it… Steadily… It’s alive, watching you in return, is it not?

Heaven's Thorn is the initial threat we have to deal with, and the last two passives are the important ones here. The first one applies Feeble to our Librarians based on how many combat pages they used against the Thorn, making our Offensive dice weaker every turn after the first one. Meanwhile, our Block dice will deal twice as much Stagger damage to Heaven's Thorn.

The first passive is basically our loss condition. If ever we are to attack another target while a Heaven's Thorn is awake, we'll have taken our eyes off of it. While we're not looking, Heaven's Thorn will quickly deal 40% of our max HP damage to every Librarian except the one attacking right then.

This will tear us apart very quickly. We need to ensure only one Heaven's Thorn is active at a time, and the next one will be waking up in 3 turns from now.

The Burrowing Heaven, meanwhile, waits for us after we've dealt with all of them. It will only wake up after there are no active Heaven's Thorns left, and if we've dealt with all three of them then it'll use a Mass Attack the turn it activates. It also permanently inflicts 10 Feeble on our entire side as long as it's active, and like its Thorns it takes twice as much Stagger from Block dice. Lastly, once it activates we have 3 turns to defeat it before it goes idle and summons yet another Heaven's Thorn to start things all over again.

As for the attacks the Heaven's Thorns use, they're very distinct.

Scarlet Spikes, Outstretching Thorns, and Bony Barbs are the only three Combat Pages the Thorns can use, and each of them is made up entirely of Counter dice. These dice are all arranged in order from the Heaven's Thorns leftmost die to its rightmost die, so by paying attention we can tell the exact order that its Counter dice will fall in.

For instance, this turn it used those three attacks in that order. This means its defense queue will be P-P-B-P-B-B-P in that order. Because Block dice that beat other Block dice do their full roll in Stagger damage to an enemy, and Block dice that beat Offensive dice only do the difference in rolls as Stagger damage, it may seem like a good idea to try and line up all our attacks accordingly so that our Block dice hit the Thorn's Block dice using this information.

That would be incorrect, because of the unpredictable nature of Counter dice—remember that when they win a Clash, they stick around and keep going until the end of the entire enemy Combat Page! Instead there's a much simpler way to deal with these guys.

Step 1: Have everyone put either Ferrous Guard or Smoking Pipe in their highest Speed Die.

Step 2: Using the remaining speed dice, slap in whatever draw/light regen/offensive pages that you need at the moment.

Alright! Remember not to blink both eyes at the same time, you guys.

I know.

Additionally, make sure every part of it is in your view. Fail to do so, and there'll be a spear coming at you from somewhere you don't expect.

I know!

You got testier since I last saw you.

Yeah… well. I haven't done a lot of talking to people lately. Even less of needing their advice.

While I understand that your particular brand of temporal displacement-

That you caused.

That I gifted. Means that you remember events differently than us, we do still have to work together.

Oh, so now you want to work with us. :rolleyes:

Alright. We got this one knocked off-guard. Now what do we do?

We break out our insurance.

Because all of the combat pages in this fight use Counter dice, Overcharge is actually a perfectly acceptable page to play here. We can use it to beat down a Staggered enemy to confirm a kill, and the lost turn isn't quite so big a deal—the time we save by nuking an enemy down quickly is frequently worth the lost turn.

Alright, then. Let's take this one out. Try to keep up, you two.

You don't need to worry about that. Despite appearances, this body is brand new.

Is it, now? Guess you've got something to thank Angela for.

Hardly. I owe her no favors.

Mad about how it all went down, eh?

You weren't there. You wouldn't understand.

I understand that I traded a very short, very exciting hell for a more longform version that led back to the same drat place.

Uhh, guys, you destroyed that thing before I could even use my attack. Now what?

There's no need to engage right now. Just stay back and wait for us to get our weapons back online.

Death is just as meaningless here as it ever has been, Talow.

Doesn't mean I like watching people get torn to shreds any more than before, either.

Y'know what… nevermind. I think I got this figured out.

If we get ahead of the Heaven's Thorn awakenings, then Burrowing Heaven will wake up. If we awaken it in this way, it'll have three Speed Dice and won't use its Mass Attack—this is basically a free chance to hit it with all we've got.

We are under 10 Feeble from Burrowing Heaven, so we don't have much.

The Burrowing Heaven, Active posted:

Basking in everyone’s gaze and attention… It will finally come to fruition and spread its wings.

The one who spread their wings sacrificed everything they had, and yet…

Just close your eyes. That’s right, you’re doing good…

If we ever open our eyes again, will we get to see the fruit of our labor in that gaze?

Do not come here… There is nothing but a thorny tree; it’s no place for you to rest.

This turn it uses a pair of Bloody Wings and one Lean Pinions. We want to bump as many shields into these five dice as possible.

Ferrous Guard and Smoking Pipe is what I go with to do that.

Alright, buddy. I got my eyes on you, so let's dance.

Step one, break the enemy's balance…

Then take the hit you know is coming…

To set you up for the boom!

This turn goes about as perfectly as it can, with the first three clashes taking up the first trio of dice so that we could hit that block vs block clash to lop off a good chunk of Burrowing Heaven's SR.

Pretty cool, right?

Excellently done, yes.

…You guys are tougher than I remember.

Oh yeah, I guess it has been… how long, for you?

About thirty years.

Jeez, what happened?!

It's a long story.

You may as well. We have nothing but time.

Since when are you interested in anyone else?

I'm simply interested in seeing if there's any useful information to be had.

At this point The Burrowing Heaven is now a battle of execution. There are no new tricks until we've cleared out all of the Heaven's Thorns. So long as we keep on top of Light and hand management, it's just repeating things two more times.

Well… why not. When I activated the Backwards Clock, you guys all got moved to a safer time, right?

Yeah, it was like most of the problems hadn't ever happened. Things were still rough after that for a bit, but we handled it.

Makes sense. When the flashy part was over, none of you were on my comms, and the machine was dark again. Since I figured I was dead anyways, I decided to go out with a bang. I went for the Manager's room…

For what purpose?

I was going to bury the entire site, you know? Go out with a bang one last time. Unfortunately, that Arbiter thing ran into me on the way down… and it had other plans.

It got ya'?

Of course. I'm just one man, after all. So as I'm losing consciousness, I feel something going up. Next thing I know I'm in the outskirts, with a monster gnawing on my arm.

In the outskirts..?

Hell if I know how it happened. Still, I had my E.G.O gear with me so I was able to get by. I wandered around, raiding any ruins I found for equipment I needed to keep them maintained.

So you just wandered alone in the outskirts for three decades. You expect me to believe that?

Hey, believe it or don't. There were other groups of people barely eking out a living out there, but trusting anyone out there is basically suicide.

What about people following after you? I remember what you were capable of, surely you would have had those who would cling to you.

…Trusting anyone out there is basically suicide.

Yeesh. So what, you ate them?

No, but I couldn't exactly let them stay anywhere near me. They got one warning.

And then you disposed of them?

I had the City to get back to. The materials I could scrounge up out there weren't enough to keep my E.G.O working forever.

So did you ever get back?

No, but I got close.

After living on scraps and monsters for so long that I figured I must have become one myself, I managed to eventually catch sight of the outer walls of the place. Naturally, I dropped everything to see if I could get back in.

But, lemme guess: Something stupidly dramatic happened and you couldn't make it?

Excuse me?

It's kind of your thing.

That's not… I mean…

Okay, so I heard a voice telling me that I wasn't doing any good sticking around there. Next thing I know, a sword's coming out of my chest, and everything's going dark. That wasn't dramatic, it just sucked.

Sounds pretty dramatic to me.

A shadowed figure, a mysterious speech, and questions lasting beyond death? Indeed.

Anyways, I just finished burning that last one to death. Let's move on to the main event.

Yes. Thank you for the story.

When activated properly, The Burrowing Heaven has four Speed Dice, and the one in front plays its custom Mass Attack.

Your Own Heaven has a pair of decently sized dice on it, and our side's permanent 10 Feeble means that we can't use offensive dice to stop them. The first attack inflicts 3 Fragile for the rest of the turn to anyone it hits, while the second restores Burrowing Heaven's HP on hit.

Our only real option here is to throw our Ferrous Guards into it and pray, as with our passives the first die is weighted in our favor while the second die is exactly even.

Now, because Morgan's already done a good bit of work this shouldn't be too difficult… but try to stay focused until the battle is over.

Obviously. If I turn my back on this thing, it'll be worse than just a stab in the chest.

Here we go!

The first roll goes our way, as Burrowing Heaven only gets a 4.

The second, however, is a max roll that knocks out one block die from each of our Librarians. This would also have healed The Burrowing Heaven for 27 HP, but we haven't actually dealt it any damage yet.

Jeez… it's too big! There's not a way to close in without letting some of it out of your sight! Never thought I'd miss the old security cameras…

If you contain most of it in your sight, then you can steer where the rest can move. That makes it easier to block.

Truly?

I seem to lack the knack for it.

Y'think it's the monocle? It could be adding an extra blind spot.

I'm not removing my monocle.

Good news then, geezer: you probably won't have to. I think it's one good push away from being defenseless.

On subsequent turns after its proper awakening, The Burrowing Heaven won't reuse its Mass Attack. It does finally play its last combat page, however: Burrowing Gaze has a decent Piercing die and a very low Block die, making it perfect for getting a good Block hit in on it.

Anyways, nothing has changed about our strategy. We do want to make absolutely sure that everyone has at least 3 Light going into the next turn, but that's a nonissue.

Come on, you…

No worries! I got it taken care of.

That should take care of the dampening effects on our offense. Talow, the Smoke?

Yeah, I got it applied. We're all ready to go here.

Ah… that's much better. That thing's gaze was terrible.

It's like a staring contest with a wall…

It's stunned, it's smoked. Insurance time?

Very perceptive.

Overcharge's second major use here is to ensure that we deal enough damage to finish off The Burrowing Heaven in one Stagger. We don't want this fight to drag out any longer than it has to.

There we go! It would've been a real shame to bring these weapons and not even use the gauntlets once.

The thing's been teed up. Try not to stumble over yourself, old man.

What matters isn't that we stumble, Talow. It's that we get the job done in the end.

And it is done. I must say, despite my expectations you did your work splendidly.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

Are you two going to be like this… every time we're fighting?

The Burrowing Heaven is another difficult Abnormality Battle simply because it expects us to be able to follow a specific strategy for a long period of time, while changing up our way of playing to do so. So long as we remember the rules (Clash with Ferrous Guard, second die is draw, light regain, or offensive page as needed) and save offensive pages for the enemy's Staggered turns, however, it winds up being nothing to write home about.

VIDEO
Music: HokmaStory

Aren’t you asking for too many books at once?

As I awoke later than the others, I have much to learn to catch up. I was always one step behind others.

You mean how you have one foot in the grave?

…A trifling attempt at mockery.

Y’know, all the other librarians here told me they were following a person called Carmen… You joined her in her research like all the others did?

You’re right that most others followed Carmen, but I was loyal to another person. There was a man named Ayin, who founded Lobotomy Corporation and created Angela.

I had faith in him. Everyone carries some form of faith or belief; in my case, I believed that what he sought to do was the right thing.

Roland, do you happen to be a religious person?

Nope. I’m not sure if there’s even a proper religion in the City. And the bigger ones are all money-hungry schemes in disguise, so there’s no point putting faith in any of ‘em.

Then I must ask differently.

What I believe in? Getting out of this place one day.

That is simply called a wish.

Guess I don’t have any beliefs, then~ I never had time to care about things like that, I had my immediate future to worry about. We live in a world where it’s tough to think about or look back on stuff that won’t be helpful right away, dreams or faith or whatever. You’re talking the talk. What do you believe in, then?

I believe in the eventual arrival of the world my scholar and mentor dreamed of. This faith is the guiding principle of my every action.

Just what kind of person was he to make you his devoted fan?

He was a man with a far sight. He strove to reach an unreachable place.

Doesn’t that description also apply to Carmen, or at least of what I heard about her?

There is a clear difference. Sir Ayin was gladly willing to accept evil for the sake of realizing his cause.

Yeah, speaking of that, I seriously don’t get that Ayin guy.

…His deeds cannot be compared to something as puerile as “playing house”.

I dunno how great and eye-opening his enlightenment was, but he left a huge trail of trouble for everyone else in that process, going from what I’ve heard. I mean, you went through a whole lot of suffering in your second life as Lobotomy Corp’s Sephirot, and Angela is still so infuriated.

It’s all because of him, isn’t it? He’s looking like a complete mess from an outsider’s perspective.

He endeavored to reach his goal in spite of such obstacles. He sought to fill the gaps out one way or another, in order to endure the eroding life. You will never understand it, his sacrifice and dedication…

Boy, aren’t you a total zealot. They say faith blinds the eyes of the feeble-minded.

I believe I am not the only one blind with faith here.

Can’t be any worse than you, pal.

Music: Lobby

Unlike the middle layers, Hokma's floor gets its first new Librarian after the first Abnormality cleared. The second, meanwhile, will come after the third battle.

Binah's floor is also different, but I don't feel like explaining it right now. She'll stand up when she feels like it.

Our new Abnormality Pages, meanwhile, are best talked about as a set. They're the building blocks of a strategy affectionately dubbed "Blockma," as it's Hokma's floor and it revolves around Block dice. Lean, Bloody Wings is the keystone of this build, as it turns any Block die into a way to instantly deal damage to an opponent. The page says that it's 'Physical Damage,' but it bypasses any resistances and works like True Damage direct to the enemy's HP. Of the other two, Gaze of Others is usually paired with LBW in order to give bonus Power to the Block dice on any clash. Attention and Focus also fits in the same niche, but since they're all Level 1 Pages we can only ever pick two, and the combo of LBW+Gaze is too powerful to pass up.

So. Level with me. You just asked for that many books because he's Angela's lapdog, right?

I said precisely what I meant, Talow. It's something you could stand to do more often.

I'm always saying exactly what I-

I may never have paid much attention to you all before, but even I know how often you lie. Now, pick a book.

Why do I have to-

Dibs on Boris.

We're all going to be reading each of them. It's the fastest way to gather information relevant to the Thumb's faith in their hierarchy.

Yeah, sure, but there's four books and only three of us.

Good thing that I came here straight away, then.

Robin. You're just in time for our research project… your specialty, as I recall?

Sure is. I'll have some notes drawn up on this… "Denis" guy in no time.

Good. Talow, did you want Kalo or Katriel's book?

Kalo, I guess.

Excellent. Then I'll see you all in an hour or two to discuss.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

You know everything important about the next receptions… Let's focus on what they'll do to the library. This one advances Hokma's Floor further.

Advances Gebura's Floor.

Advances Binah's Floor.

Advances Chesed's Floor.

Videos

Hokma 2

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 23, 2022

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
i was gonna make something for Combat Prep, the urban legend card that has incredible niche usage on Blockma in general, but TQ forgot to bring any drawtech by packing it for his second reset :v:
have a quick and dirty trace to celebrate(?) the first reset since bloodbath

Fun fact, did you know Every Character with black twintails and reddish eyes is renowned IDOL Nico Yazawa? It's true, look up "An Absurd Relationship Takemiya Jin Dynasty Scans Yuri Online" for more info!

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Lean, Bloody Wings... I often commented, how Hod can easily block enemies to submission using correct build... Hokma takes it one step further: he can block enemies to death. It puts attack in our defence, so building a tank does not tank our damage output. It is even more cool if you notice that damage is based on dice roll and not on difference between rolls, like stagger does. In addition that damage is true damage, so highly resistant enemies are a prime target for wielder of this Page.

Gaze of Others is a great support page for others two abno pages. It improves block die at cost of dealing less damages in clashes. Notice that it is damage, not power, so in a pinch you can still clash with offensive dice and still win, unlike abnormality battle. After staggering enemy with your enhanced blocks, you will have an easier way to finish him, because of increased one-sided attacks damage. It is a (-2) card though, so, depending on other 3 level 1 pages, it might be hard to get.

Attention and Focus: a simple effect, a simple downside, which is easy to avoid. Stagger enemies twice as fast.

Fun fact: BloodyTree (this is a real internal name btw) has a fourth page ability defined in code. It is supposed to deal 1-10 damage to any enemy who will attack or clash with any librarian except one who took the abnormality page. Damage is dealt once per page, each counter dice is considered its own page.

Overall, I like all of these pages. They follow a clear theme, they provide a clear and substantial benefit, they work reliably enough so you can build around them, they work well together, but can be used separately.

TeeQueue posted:

Heaven's Thorn is the initial threat we have to deal with, and the last two passives are the important ones here. The first one applies Feeble to our Librarians based on how many combat pages they used against the Thorn, making our Offensive dice weaker every turn after the first one. Meanwhile, our Block dice will deal twice as much Stagger damage to Heaven's Thorn.
It won't apply Feeble if it is staggered or dead, making offensive dice still an option here.

You can apply Discipline to the BH, if you wish. It is fun, but ultimately, not a good card for this fight.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Lean, Bloody Wings is basically Hokma's primary gimmick as far as I'm concerned, and it's really nice that you get it off the first Abnormality like this so you can abuse the living hell out of it fool around with it during the rest of his Abnormality fights. This is what enables that Combat Preparation cheese that was mentioned waaaaaay back during the Zwei reception to truly become busted. A fully Block-oriented Hokma running off +2 block from passives and +8 block from his minions spamming Combat Prep as hard as possible can be absolutely devastating, and the True Damage that LBW gives you allows you to cheese a lot of fights by bypassing damage immunities.

It's just tragic that you don't really get a lot of time to play around this, especially since the cards I use to make Hokma truly busted come from three of the four final fights of Star of the City...to say nothing of the requirements for his Realization (we haven't even seen Tiphereth's yet!). Once you've got him up and running you're basically done with the meat of the game, even moreso than Binah. :(

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I've beaten Burrowing Heaven twice, each time with much better tools to deal with the gimmick than what TeeQueue had access to. I looked up which fight unlocks what ahead of time, and decided that The Thumb should be the last fight on this tier of SotC I do.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Solitair posted:

I've beaten Burrowing Heaven twice, each time with much better tools to deal with the gimmick than what TeeQueue had access to. I looked up which fight unlocks what ahead of time, and decided that The Thumb should be the last fight on this tier of SotC I do.

I was actually weaker than even the minimum amount the game expects of you—you have to have a Book of Liu Association Section 2 to do Thumb 2, and having access to another book would in fact make our card pool bigger than I had!

That's definitely why I had trouble, and not at all because I'm an idiot who forgot to add drawtech to my decks. :v:

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
At least the Upper Floor have their Emotion Level uncapped from the get go. So no fighting bosses with only 4-5 max Light.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Blockma Balls, for when regular Hokma Balls or Blue Balls don’t go far enough!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Chaosbrain posted:

Blockma Balls, for when regular Hokma Balls or Blue Balls don’t go far enough!

It's the sort of thing that happens when the man you're simping for loves a dead woman who is also a brain and nervous system in a jar and also also that man is now dead and his AI daughter he abused is your boss, and he renamed you Hokma.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

MiiNiPaa posted:

Fun fact: BloodyTree (this is a real internal name btw) has a fourth page ability defined in code. It is supposed to deal 1-10 damage to any enemy who will attack or clash with any librarian except one who took the abnormality page. Damage is dealt once per page, each counter dice is considered its own page.

This was actually one of the abno pages in the early access that PM replaced because it was awful, IIRC it also used to hurt your own librarians alongside the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oobitydoo
Oct 1, 2021

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's the sort of thing that happens when the man you're simping for loves a dead woman who is also a brain and nervous system in a jar and also also that man is now dead and his AI daughter he abused is your boss, and he renamed you Hokma.

A universal experience, truly.